Start by marking “Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)

Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl #3)

"Lust will make a fool of any man, but it is only love that can truly ruin him." So says Victor Carl, the ethically adventurous Philadelphia lawyer who usually ends up doing the right thing, but, as his law partner says, often for all the wrong reasons. Late one night Victor gets a panicked phone call from an old law school classmate. Guy Forrest claims he has just found t ...more
Published (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Flaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Flaw

Sandi
While not the most admirable guy sometimes, Philadelphia lawyer Victor Carl is always interesting and I found this legal suspense story compulsively readable even though it was a bit too long. The plotting was solid if convoluted, the characters fascinating, and I really enjoyed Victor's voice throughout the narrative.
Kay Roseberry
Nov 14, 2014 Kay Roseberry rated it it was amazing
Genius

This was a really good read. It was hard to put it down and turn off the kindle. What one might expect didn't happen. The unexpected plot thickened with intensity that keeps you reading. I loved the humor, the philosophical thoughts, the reference to other authors and the analogies. Read it! You might enjoy this as much as I did.
Derk
Apr 05, 2012 Derk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was long, semi-reasonable plot, but nothing special. This was the first book in the series I've read ( I think, but the author's name seems familiar, so maybe I read another one long ago).. I'll probably try another one, but not with much anticipation.
JBradford
Dec 04, 2013 JBradford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I would rather read books than write Goodread reviews, I have a stack of books on the floor beside my table--books I have read bur not yet commented on. Despite that, I picked up a new (actually old, with half the pages stained a light crimson from some long ago liquid) book yesterday to look at during breakfast and now I have to comment on it before the wonder leaves. Lashner has written two previous books about the same main character, a Jewish lawyer in Philadelphia who has some rigid ...more
Joyce Lagow
Nov 15, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
3rd in the Victor Carl, Philadelphia defense lawyer, series.

Another outstanding entry in this series. Carl has become obsessed with his lover, Hailey, a beautiful sad, seductive woman who is also a lawyer. Called one night to the home of his friend Gary, another lawyer--who coincidentally just happens also to be Hailey’s lover with whom Gary is living--Carl finds Gary naked out on the front stoop and Hailey murdered inside. Carl swears to find out the truth of the murder and bring the murderer t
LJ
FATAL FLAW (Legal Thriller) – Okay-
William Lashner – 3rd in series
When old law school classmate Guy Forrest is accused of murdering his lover in their Main Line love next, Philadelphia lawyer Victor Carl agrees to represent him while keeping silent about his own prior romantic involvement with the victim.
***Let me start by saying I read books for character; if I don’t like the characters, it’s a good bet I won’t like the book. For me, this book didn’t have a single character about whom I could c
Anna
Jan 16, 2009 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I just could not. get into. this book. *hangs head* I gave up at page 109 and read "The Last Templar" by Michael Jecks instead.

What was wrong with it? Well, none of the characters are likeable, the plot was slow and clunky, and the dialogue is stilted.

Characters can *be* coldly inhuman, moody, mean, or sarcastic; heaven only knows, great novels sometimes *require* that in their characters, but there has to be *some* sort of rationale that makes the reader sympathetic towards them. I tried, but
Christina Jennings hurst
First half sucked

2.5 stars! Way too long and drawn out. This one could have been a winner. I struggled through and was pleasantly surprised by the second half.
Warren Olson
Feb 03, 2015 Warren Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good solid Victor Carl story, where the main character a battling lawyer come investigator meets and ultimately teams up with the dubious 'Skink' - who will come to handle the more covert sides to Victors future investigations. This time its the murder of a beautiful girl ( they are always beautiful/alluring - aren't they ? ) who apart from being in an unrequited love/relationship with one of Carls best friends - is also making out with the good ?? lawyer himself ! - until her sudden dem ...more
Sanjac
Mar 19, 2015 Sanjac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story about young lawyer Victor Carl and his case defending friend Guy Forrest. Guy is accoused of murdering his lover Hailey Prouix. Life of Haileys is nothing like ordinary. She is ultimative "femme fatale", getting what she wants, from whom she wants and no matter what is at stake.
Really exciting thriller with murder elements. Only difference between thrillers nowdays is that investigation is held by lawyer/Haileys lover and not usual detective. Every person in the novel is conected to Haile
Dwight Hurst
Feb 15, 2016 Dwight Hurst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good whodunnit Legal thriller lawyer-as-detective story.

Fairly by the numbers for the genre,but with well developed characters and a few well thought out twists. The biggest surprise is revealed within the first chapter or two, which is genius because we get to see the author deal with its ramifications in some clever ways.

I feel like Lashner should be assigned reading for any wannabe mystery writers, but is also interesting enough to keep you engaged and guessing throughout.
Gail Williams
Apr 10, 2016 Gail Williams rated it it was amazing
All I can say again is WOW!

This book #3 is better than book #2 and book #2 got a WOW review from me. Mr. Lashner's characters in this story are so deep and interesting you don't want the novel to end. The protagonist Victor Carl is as flawed as they come,but you can't help but admire him. I hope there is book #4 in this series. William Lashner is my new favorite author. Give this series a try.You won't be disappointed.
Lisa Kucharski
Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious, especially when it comes to suspects. Victor Carl becomes the defense lawyer for the prime suspect, friend, and colleague at first to doom him. Then as things reveal themselves, or are pried and hammer at...the truth comes out.

First half of the book was slow, it had action then internal meanderings. But the second half found its way and the action and internal thought merged and surged forward. This is the first book I've read of this author.
Marti
Mar 02, 2014 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had about half a review typed, and then it disappeared. Don't you hate it when that happens? Anyway, Victor shows up at his best friend's place, only to find the woman they both love, dead. Guy is in the Jacuzzi, not a good alibi. Since they are all lawyers, Victor takes on the case, which involves a lot of investigation. These three are smarmy and snarky--hard to believe anyone would love them. There is a weird character named Skink who helps in the investigation.
Arlene
Jun 23, 2015 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this 3.5, but Goodreads doesn't allow that. This was a leap for me. I prefer historical fiction or biographies. This book kept me engrossed; definitely a page turner. The characters, although flawed, were likable. The ending was unsuspected. Maybe those who read more books of this genre would not feel that way.
Joe
Nov 02, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
And here I never realized there were other with this character, Victor Carl. Another reason why GOOD READS is a great site.
Add these others to my To READ list!
Great courtroom drama..with a little sex and intrigue and can we say...backstabbing! Tons of twist and turns...that kept me guessing right up to the end. Looking forward to NOW reading other in this series.
Dave
Sep 11, 2016 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A funny book. I enjoyed most of it, but there were parts that sucked, especially the middle part. He uses some words which I don't even know if they exist or not. My kobo didn't recognise them and I couldn't be bothered looking them up elsewhere. Why he would use such weird words is beyond me, not a lot of them, but unnecessary, annoying and distracting from the storyline
Richard Weber
Feb 10, 2014 Richard Weber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book by William Lashner that I have read. I found it to be the best yet. I was glad it was a long book. It was one of those thrillers that is hard to put down and which you are sorry to see end. His books are more than just thrillers or mysteries. The legal parts are very interesting and well done.
Naomi
Oct 17, 2016 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victor Carl agrees to represent his friend, Guy Forrest who is accused of murdering his lover, Hailey Prouix even though he believes Guy shot her. He sets Guy up to be convicted of the murder because he has been involved with Hailey himself. But this backfires on Victor and he tries to search out the real truth. I liked the story but felt the book was a little too long.
Lovepat
Jun 25, 2014 Lovepat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was probably the best mystery / law procedural I have read in some time. I was especially engrossed by the well developed
"growth" of the main character whose judgment morphs into compassion in a very compelling way. I will be reading more from this author.
Kenneth Kiboro
Aug 14, 2014 Kenneth Kiboro rated it it was amazing
Another Winner

Another Winner

Highly recommend to anybody that enjoys legal dramas. This is my 2nd read by the author and William Lashner is indeed a great of our time.
Beverly
Jun 05, 2009 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third entry in the VIctor Carl series. Good plot about a failed lawyer who is accused of killing his lawyer girl friend. Turns out she has Victor on the side, so he must resolve conflicting feelings when he becomes his friend's defense attorney. Introduces the repulsive but helpful PI Phil Skink.
Tim Warner
Jun 08, 2013 Tim Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About half way through I couldn't put this down.I look for that in books, but I can never predict it nor necessarily take as true other's subjective reviews. But this is excellent writing. I am glad I discovered Wm. Lashner. It was through Goodreads friends; excellent writer and an excellent book.
Lyddie
Feb 09, 2015 Lyddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quality legal thriller with impeccable writing. I grew to really like Victor Carl's humanity and Lashner's talent for character building. I would totally read more of this series, or anything else by this writer.
Smoochys
Sep 17, 2014 Smoochys rated it it was ok
It's ok

it was an okay mystery, but it wasn't very original. the murder, the reason, and the solution have all been played out before. add to that the tired conversations between the dead girl and Carl you get a kinda dull book.
Pete McAleer
Starts out like your basic Grisham novel, but takes an interesting turn halfway through. If you're looking for a good private detective yarn, you could do a lot worse.
Vani
Jan 25, 2013 Vani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to keep up with, but booms when you least expect it!
Vacant
Jul 25, 2011 Vacant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book alot. It was a goodread for sure.
Annelaurie
A pretty good read.
Vanessa
Sep 07, 2009 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good!
  • Hunting Season
  • Dark and Deadly
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • Witness for the Defense (Kali O'Brien, #4)
  • The Sixth Commandment
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • The Echo of Violence (Sweet Justice, #3)
  • Now You Die
  • Little Sister
  • Prepared For Rage (Coast Guard #2)
  • The Final Kill
  • Blood Born (Dr. Anya Crichton, #4)
  • Share No Secrets
  • Cut to the Quick (Nan Vining Mysteries, #2)
  • First Avenue
  • The Silent Cradle
William Lashner, a former Philadelphia lawyer, is a graduate of New York University Law School and the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop. He has served as trial attorney in the Criminal Division of the United States Justice Department. He lives with his family outside of Philadelphia.

Under the pseudonym Tyler Knox he wrote the noir novel, Kockroach.

Series:
* Victor Carl Mystery
More about William Lashner...

Victor Carl (9 books)
  • Hostile Witness (Victor Carl, #1)
  • Veritas (Victor Carl, #2)
  • Past Due (Victor Carl, #4)
  • Falls the Shadow (Victor Carl, #5)
  • Marked Man (Victor Carl, #6)
  • A Killer's Kiss (Victor Carl, #7)
  • A Bite of Strawberry (Victor Carl, #7.5)
  • Bagmen

“You don’t believe in love?” “I suppose I do, like I believe in television, or the interstate highway system, but neither of them is going to save me, and I don’t expect love to either.” “You’re just being a hard-ass.” “You abdicated your life to love because that meant you didn’t have to take responsibility for your own failures. You thought this thing you craved would swoop down and save you.” “It wasn’t a thing.” “There’s no difference. A big TV. An SUV. Someone new to love. It’s still something outside yourself, so it will never be enough.” 0 likes
“I was ready to lose everything for a hope I now knew was false. I now knew it was false, impossible, ruined already by my own hand, and still I had no choice” 0 likes