The Onion Eaters

The Onion Eaters

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Onion Eaters is a novel in which an extraordinarily endowed young man named Clayton Claw Cleaver Clementine comes to take possession of an ancient castle on the rocky coast of Ireland.
Published June 1st 1975 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Onion Eaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Onion Eaters

Roberto
Properly insane. I feel Donleavy should always be read with a brandy, in just y-fronts (preferably sullied) with some kind of deformed-looking groinal bulge, tuba music in the background. Nightmarishly slapstick, but with a kind of baroque melancholia throughout, and lots of posh people getting the horn. My favourite writer. I'd maybe not start off with this one though.
robert
Aug 17, 2007 robert rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most people
This is my favorite J.P. Donleavy novel, although I can't quite say why. It's not perfect, but it's sweet and spit-take funny. I've read it twice, and I rarely read anything twice.
Mike
this is a bawdy book. it made me smile.
Justin Howe
A man with three testicles inherits a castle on the coast of Ireland. The book reads like Hunter S. Thompson meets Mervyn Peake, or National Lampoon's Animal House in Castle Gormenghast. Parts are funny - but it meanders with one chaotic misadventure after another going on for too long.
Stephen Fothergill
Quite simply the funniest book ever written. Extraordinary!
David
This one struck me a little different than Donleavy's other books, in a good way though. Still has the traditional Donleavy momentum, humor, and internal monologue, but with a different feel. A very different protagonist from Donleavy's usual sort, not even counting the number of testicles. I'm surprised I had never heard of this one before. Seems to me that this would be a necessary book for anyone interested in Donleavy.
Jay Allan Storey
I first read this book when I was traveling (many years ago), and I absolutely loved it. I quoted from it to my traveling companion so many time he got sick of it. It has a strange, absurd sort of humour that I really love, and some bizarre characters that I think are truly original.
David Logan
This was my first Donleavy book and my last. Slapstick names, like McFugger, and precious little genuine wit – so far as I can remember.
Flan
Just reread this after over 20 years. I still enjoyed it. It is a nice combination of bawdy and tender.
Chris Allen
I almost wish I hadn't read this.
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Ione Ishii
Ione Ishii is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Andrea Haller
Andrea Haller is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Vahakn Keshishian
Vahakn Keshishian marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Umangjot Kaur
Umangjot Kaur marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
922006
James Patrick Donleavy is an Irish American author, born to Irish immigrants. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II after which he moved to Ireland. In 1946 he began studies at Trinity College, Dublin, but left before taking a degree. He was first published in the Dublin literary periodical, Envoy.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.P._Don...
More about J.P. Donleavy...
The Ginger Man The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B A Fairy Tale of New York A Singular Man The Lady Who Liked Clean Restrooms: The Chronicle Of One Of The Strangest Stories Ever To Be Rumoured About Around New York