Start by marking “Wisdom in the Waiting: Spring's Sacred Days” as Want to Read:
Wisdom in the Waiting: Spring's Sacred Days

Wisdom in the Waiting: Spring's Sacred Days

In her three-book series that spans the liturgical year, renowned author Phyllis Tickle recalls simple stories from life on her family's farm in Lucy, Tennessee. In these spiritually uplifting and nostalgic memoirs, Tickle records the richness of faith in everyday life. What the Land Already Knows celebrates Advent, Christmas, and the Epiphany. Wisdom in the Waiting reflec ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Loyola Press

To ask other readers questions about Wisdom in the Waiting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wisdom in the Waiting

Patty
Phyllis Tickle is a major name in religious writing. She was the editor of the religion department until 2004 when she retired. Back when I purchased religion books for my library, I looked to Tickle's reviews to make sure our collection had good books. Her word and her writings are well respected.

All of which did not matter when I tried to read some of her books. For whatever reason, I could not get into her writing style. I love her Divine Hours series, but she did not write the material in th
Amy
Mar 08, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
A sweet little (very short) book. Sort of a devotional, but more focused on simple stories about life on the farm with her husband and children (I think they had 7 kids). It didn't knock my socks off or anything, but it had some good moments. It was interesting for me reading this, due to my Christian "nondenominational" background. The author comes from an Episcopal background, so the book focuses a lot on the church calendar of holy days and the specific liturgical aspects of the Christian fai ...more
Douglas  Donaldson
Sep 02, 2008 Douglas Donaldson rated it it was amazing
Another great American character book. Phyllis Tickle, along with her family, returns to the country and raises her children on the farm. A high-church Episcopalian, she is very gifted in relating the significance of the liturgical year to lessons learned on the farm. Mother and I are reading all three books in this series, and we both have been moved and enlightened. I truly love reads that make me want to burst into songs of praise--loud upon the hills, singing "All Creatures of My God and Kin ...more
Erika
Mar 09, 2010 Erika rated it really liked it
Reading this book made me want to (1) live in the country and (2) get in touch with my liturgical, Anglican side of religious life that finds meaning in seasons, holy days and ritual.

I took my time reading this book, mostly because I was reading while nursing my newborn son and also because I didn't want it to end.

On the other hand, some of the stories had a lack of flow that tired me. Perhaps, the writing could have been better edited.

That said, I would still want to read more works by the au
Jan 12, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. If you have zero rural living it may not be the book for you though. The author shares life events from her families life on their farm weaving in Holy Week.

It is really a book of short essays so you can grab the book and read just one short chapter. Each one took me at least a day to really digest and think about it. One chapter is about grief with her descriptions putting words to a difficult bunch of feelings.
Tonia Peckover
Mar 24, 2016 Tonia Peckover rated it really liked it
Tickle wrote three books that chronicle the church year from her farm in Lucy, Tennessee. This is the Lent through Ascension version. These are simple stories, told about children and the migration of birds, lost blankets, a secret self in the closet that holds mysteries. Tickle weaves her faith and the lessons of the Holy Days into these every day stories. I used it as a kind of devotion through the Lent season and enjoyed it very much.
Jan 05, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
This is wonderful little cup of warm, fragrant tea. I loved ending my day with a quick chapter to enjoy sipping in the beautiful setting of Phyllis Tickle's family farm in western TN.
Phyllis paints a pastoral picture through the lens of the liturgical calendar from Lent to Pentecost. She allows you to sit on the stump with her, just inside the fence line, on the first night the fireflies come to mate their lights aglow dancing in the trees. You can sit and "forget the what and how of me."
Mackenzie
Mar 15, 2016 Mackenzie rated it liked it
Filled with simple stories of her family, I enjoyed reading Tickles's words before going to bed. I was expecting more obvious themes of the Lenten season in these short stories, which I didn't find. Sweet and simple, but nothing that took my breath away.
Peggy Dover
Peggy Dover rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Jroobee
Jroobee rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
Harold Vance III
Harold Vance III rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Denise
Nov 29, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!!
Kit
Kit rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Juli
Juli rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2011
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Dutchbaby
Dutchbaby rated it liked it
May 07, 2013
Isabel Anders
Isabel Anders rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2008
Karen Gibson
Karen Gibson rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Jodi
Jodi rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Penny Gordon
Penny Gordon rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Tiffany McDonald
Tiffany McDonald rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Janie
Janie rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
FROM AUTHOR'S WEBSITE:
PHYLLIS TICKLE, founding editor of the Religion Department of PUBLISHERS WEEKLY, the international journal of the book industry, is frequently quoted in sources like USA TODAY, CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR, NY TIMES, as well as in electronic media like PBS, NPR, THE HALLMARK CHANNEL, etc., Tickle is an authority on religion in America and a much sought after lecturer on the subj
More about Phyllis A. Tickle...