Start by marking “The Sweet Scent of Blood (, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sweet Scent of Blood (, #1)

The Sweet Scent of Blood ( #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  2,062 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
'My name is Genny Taylor. I work for It’s a great job, pays the rent, lets me do the thing I’m good at – finding magic and cracking it – and the bonus is it’s run by witches, which stops the vamps from taking a bite out of me.

Not that vampires are the big bad any more, not since they launched a slick PR campaign – oh, and they brought the goblins on boa
Published April 27th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweet Scent of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Scent of Blood

I found it quite hard to get through the first half (or more) of this book, which I thought was too cluttered with background story and slighty confusing. Only the last few chapters were interesting and had some action.

The mystery story was usually overshadowed by the character development, resulting in a poorly constructed plot. It was really painful to read sometimes.

Still, overall, I liked the book (more the last part, of course) and the characters (especially the sexy, if cliche, vampire Mal
Fiona J Mackenzie
Although outside my normal choice of genre, this book is such a fun read. It entertains from the first page with great characters that vary from enchanting to dangerous to downright sexy. There is plenty of exciting action, all set in contemporary London - and which just keeps those pages turning. A great debut novel from a new author and I can't wait for the next one in the series.
Aug 01, 2009 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genny Taylor is a sidhe fae living in London - a London full of paranormal creatures the humans all know about. Vampires are no longer feared and some even have celebrity status thanks to a successful PR campaign, but Genny knows not to trust them.

She works for, a company run by witches, that sorts out magical problems by finding and 'cracking' spells. But when a well-known vampire is charged with the murder of his girlfriend, his human father comes to Genny for help prooving h
Jul 18, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sweet Scent of Blood is set in modern day London, where it is common place to run into a brownie at the cafe, see pixies running through Trafalgar Square, or walk into the wait area of Old Scotland Yard and come face to face with a goblin. Magic seems to be everywhere you turn in London. The vampires are treated like glamorous A-list celebrities and are a huge money making tourist attraction for London.

This book is told from Genny's point view, her accounts are in vivid detail interlaced wit
Aug 06, 2009 Mardel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Suzanne McLeod (from England) has written a refreshing book about sidhe, vampires and witches, along with some wonderful side characters that are trolls, satyrs, brownies and goblins. Pixies and gremlins are also mentioned in this book. But it all works. In this alternate reality, England has the works. Vampires have used public relations to present themselves as celebrities, even putting out calenders, (Mr. June, Mr October, etc).

The main character, Genevieve Taylor has been coerced into trying
Aug 28, 2009 Writtenwyrdd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great dark fantasy! Different takes on vampires, the fey and a lot of popular tropes in the urban/dark fantasy subgenre. And, for those of you not fond of lots of sex in their reading diet, there's lots of tension but nothing explicit.
Nov 26, 2009 Ailsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(First posted by me over at The Book Bundle

Since I’ve been re-reading it in preparation for the sequel, which comes out on July 16th, I just had to review this book. It’s been a while since I’d read it, and I’d forgotten how much I loved it.
‘The Sweet Scent of Blood’ is about a Sidhe fae called Genny Taylor, who lives in present day London, working at finding magic while trying to stay away from vampires - she knows from experience exactly how bad they can be.
From the website:
When Mr October, a
This story started off with a lot of promise for me. I liked the characters and the world the author built. As I read on I became more and more unhappy with the execution of the book. Events seemed disjointed and everything felt slightly off. There was also a pov tense change at the end of the book that seemed odd and out of place.

I'm interested with seeing how things will settle with Malik and Finn, but I really don't want to deal with so many unanswered questions again. I really can't tell if
Apr 21, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF fans
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr
Genny works for, finding and cracking problem spells for clients. The job also gives her witch protection from vampires, who take a particular interest in her. Now a vampire needs her help-he is accused of murdering his human girlfriend and wants to prove he didn't do it by using Genny's ability to find magic. The master vampires in town are trying to blackmail her into finding this spell that killed Melissa, but someone wants her stopped-permanently. Who can she trust and is t ...more
When a vamp master calls in a marker, Fae magical troubleshooter Genny ends up trying to clear a young vamp in the murder of his human lover and ends up the prize in a vampire power struggle.

There was quite a bit that I liked in this first Spellcrackers novel: I liked the idea of the Fae heroine, Genny, and magical problem solving agency in this new UF offering, I really thought that Genny's hidden nature was quite interesting. I also liked some of the supporting Fae characters Genny's Satyr bos
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
Extraordinary attention to detail! If I knew how to draw, I could totally draw all of the characters, plus all of the houses, parks, streets and offices as well. Very well written, with a lot of suspense, a little romance, some big-time scary vampires, and a huge betrayal. I loved this book, and for the first time ever, I really, really loved a fae! Gen is wonderful, strong and funny, and a little bit sneaky too, but she had to be in order to try to make it. Exciting read, and a page-turner thro ...more
May 13, 2010 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2010
I give this one 3.5 stars.

What I really liked about this book was that it seemed very different from other things I've read. Granted, this might be because I haven't read all that many books about the fae, but it still seemed unique to me. The main character is Genny (Gen for short) and she works for a company called She is a sidhe, and she breaks spells for a living. In this world, vampires have been given "human" rights for the past 20 years or so. And lately, they have bee
Jul 27, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtf-is-going-on
(2.5 stars) Genevieve is the only sidhe fae in London and has a traumatic past involving vampires, which we readers learn about in flashbacks throughout the story. She works as a spellcracker, removing hexes from objects. There are two ways she can remove a spell. She can “crack” the spell, thereby destroying both the spell and the object, or she can absorb it into herself, which carries its own problems. As the story begins, a celebrity vampire stands accused of murdering his girlfriend, Meliss ...more
Laura Lulu
Apr 22, 2011 Laura Lulu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The main character, Genny, was really likable--I've read a few books lately where I didn't like the main character, so I've found myself paying more attention to that.

Lots of different supes in this one--fae, witches, vamps. I really liked all the different fae that were introduced. It was pretty cool how they're all just integrated into humanity--satyrs, brownies, trolls, goblins, leprechauns, etc.

There were a few continuity issues I had with it, and I wasn't crazy
Kenya Wright
May 14, 2010 Kenya Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kim Harrison and Charlaine Harris book fans
Excellent!!!! The author is similar to many of my favorites! Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Karen Moning, etc.

The main character as a Sidhe with a little extra (found out in the book) is an excellent new twist in the Urban fantasy world. She's not a sociopath like Anita Blake (thank god!) or clutzy cool like Rachel Morgan, but the main character Genny is cool as hell! I love this series!!!
3 1/2 stars

Sweet Scent of Blood is an edgy, mysterious and fast-paced story that will take you from 0 to 60 mph in the blink of an eye, so hold on to your knickers and get ready for the ride.

Genevieve “Genny” Taylor is the only sidhe living in London at a time when vampires, witches, goblins, trolls and other fae live openly among humans. Without a community of fellow sidhe, Genny is happy to have found a home with and, given her ability to not only see, but also absorb various
Originally posted at

When I finished the last page of The Sweet Scent of Blood I sat there for a few minutes staring at the back cover, still sifting through everything that just happened. Wow! You know how sometimes there are movies you just have to give your undivided attention to; no bathroom brakes or popcorn refills? This is the book counterpoint to that kind of story-telling. Suzanne McLeod brings new meaning to the phrase "a smart read."

Genevieve Taylo
Apr 23, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because I am re-reading this book in advance of the 4th book you can probably guess that I like it, and I do, I absolutely love it. Ms McLeod has created a fantastic world filled with all sorts of supernatural beings plus it is set in London which is awesome as I live in the UK and the sort of books I read are very very rarely set in my home country.

Gen is a great character and I warmed to her immediately she has led a troubled life as a Sidhe Fae whose blood is coveted by vampires. There is a b
Blodeuedd Finland
I do love Urban Fantasy and this book was also refreshing because of the simple fact that it was set in London.

Now I feel that I can't give justice to how good the book was. The good ones are always the hardest to write about.

To the story then. Genny is a Fae in a world where supernaturals walk among us. The vampires have gone for fame and "groupies", but Fae like her have it a bit harder. They never were human at all. There are also trolls, brownies, goblins, witches, and lots more. And they al
Jun 24, 2013 Liv rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, I really tried. I did. I took a break from this book, went to another one, before coming back to it again. I picked it up again and after about 25 more pages into it, I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to tell myself that my time could be better spent elsewhere. I simply could not bring myself to continue finishing this book. In all fairness though, my review was purely based on after reading 131 pages (which took me to the end of chapter 14 and was a good 1/3 of the way through) ...more
Jul 16, 2011 Melliane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Après en avoir entendu parlé par un auteur j'étais curieuse de voir ce que donnait ce premier tome, et je dois dire qu'il est vraiment trés bien !

Geneviève est la fille d'une sidhe et d'un vampire, ce qui est quelque chose d'étrange et impossible, mais la voilà. Elle garde pour elle précieusement ce secret et fait tout son possible pour ne pas être en relation avec un quelconque vampire.
Elle travaille auprès d'une boite dirigée par les sorcières et qui lui confère une protection quant aux vampir
3.5 stars. I liked it. I was a bit thrown because it wasn't very much like the short story I read in one of the anthologies, which focused on the fae and was a bit less dark than this. I didn't expect the vampires at all, and they're really the center of the book, despite the Spellcrackers name implying that it's about Genny's job working for the witches. There is a complex society where vampires, witches and fae live out in the open. Several witches and fae appear in the book, and of course Gen ...more
Apr 17, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fae, group-read, vampires
I loved this book, which gives us an imperfect main character, a world of vampires, witches and Fae that is dark and mean, and an action packed story that kept my interest to the last page.

Oh, the vamps can be sexy when they want to be, but never to the point that you lose track of how dark and Machiavellian they really are. The witches are bitches and Fae are an interesting array of characters with odd honors and morals.

Gen is a woman with secrets and vices of her own and to say more would spo
Kathy Davie
Aug 27, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, urban
First in the urban fantasy series revolving around Genevieve Taylor, half-fae, half-human? -vampire? and her ages-long fight against the 3V and her flight from her prince.

My Take
The premise is good and unique to my reading list, however, McLeod is irritating with her primary character AND the activities that occur throughout the story. It's one thing to tease the reader into continuing to read. It's another thing completely to tease with very little release. It almost reads as
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru

Genevieve Taylor is a sidhe - one of the noble fae - and she's unusual even in a London where celebrity vampires, eccentric goblins and scheming lesser fae mix freely with humanity...

Genny is a rising star at, where she finds the "M" in magic - which can mean anything from mischief to malice to murder. The spellcrackers are run by the Witch Council, whose ancient tenets prohibit any contact with vampires. And that's just fine with Genny, who wants as little to do with
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
I really liked this book, but I felt lost for half of it. Not the first half, or a half taken out of the middle, but more of a cumulative half. I liked the story enough to push through it, but most of the time I wanted to bang my head against a wall and scream "WHAT'S GOING ON!!!"

Still worth it though. If it weren't for the confusion I'd give a solid 4 stars.
Oct 16, 2014 Katyana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, uf, ebook
There was a lot that I liked about this book. I liked the world - it was complex and interesting, and it seems like there's a lot of layers to how the supernatural works. There's a lot of potential to do fun stuff in this world.

There's also a lot that I didn't like about this book.

1 - The plot unfolded in a weirdly jumpy fashion for a book written in first person.

Genny leaped to some conclusions in the back third of the book that came out of nowhere ... nothing unfolded to lead her there, and s
There are so many things wrong with this book I’m not sure where to start. Genevieve worked for It was always referred, not just spellcrackers. People don’t refer to websites with .com in casual conversation especially if they are well known. Anyway the case she was coerced into taking wasn’t for spellcrackers. Eventually she lost her job with spellcrackers. It bothered Genevieve, but was I supposed to care? Her job and coworkers were practically nonexistent. ...more
Jul 20, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another one of those books that left me confused as to what rating to give. I felt like there were some four and five star moments. I also felt like there were plenty of one and two star moments. So I'm left with three but somehow that just doesn't seem right.

In some aspects this was your typical UF cast of characters. Vampires, witches, fae, etc.. I did like the addition of the trolls. There seems to be a sad lack of troll coverage in today's urban fantasy. I'm kidding of course but I
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
  • Confessions of a Demon (Allay, #1)
  • Precinct 13
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • That Which Bites (Julia Poe Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Motor City Fae (Urban Arcana, #1)
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
  • Viper Moon (Earth Witches, #1)
  • Dark Oracle (Oracle, #1)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Afterlife (The Resurrection Chronicles, #1)
  • Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Street Magic (Black London, #1)
  • Under Wraps (Underworld Detection Agency, #1)
  • Don't Kill The Messenger (Messenger, #1)
  • Shadowfae (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #1)
Welcome to my Goodreads page! I write the urban fantasy series about magic, mayhem and murder – liberally spiced with hot guys, kick-ass chicks and super-cool supes! I live on the sunny (sometimes) South Coast of England with my wonderful husband and our two much loved boisterous HellHounds!
More about Suzanne McLeod...

Other Books in the Series (6 books)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (, # 2)
  • The Bitter Seed of Magic (, # 3)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (, #4)
  • The Hidden Rune Of Iron ( #5)
  • The Sharp Bite of Ritual (, #6)