Start by marking “Shallow Grave” as Want to Read:
Shallow Grave

Shallow Grave (PI Julie Collins #3)

Surveillance on an insurance fraud case in Bear Butte County unfolds tragically for PI Julie Collins when the reappearance of a mysterious hole—the cause of a fatal accident—brings about the landowner’s unsettling confession. Bones were recently uncovered on the remote ridge but, fearing repercussions from their illegal off-season hunting, the hunters reburied the remains
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shallow Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shallow Grave

Timitra
Feb 12, 2017 Timitra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie is still an asshole, still strong, still runs off half-cocked but in this book her vulnerability shines through. We get to see a softer side of her as the mysteries unravel.

Shallow Grave focuses on a loose thread that began in the first book among other things. We, the readers get answers to our many questions while Julie finally gets closure. However that closure comes with a hefty price but I like where Julie is at, at the end. I also like where her and Tony are at.

I am definitely look
Keri
Absolutely fabulous twisted read and Julie's past collides with her present when a body is discovered on insurance fraud case that Keven and Julie were investigating. Julie and Martinez's relationship is starting to scorch the pages. While the romance isn't the focus of the book, the times when they are on page are completely off the charts sexy, as LA channels her inner Lorelie James. :-) The mystery aspect was top notch and very twisted in a Karen Rose kind of way. If you haven't read a Julie ...more
J.D.
Apr 19, 2008 J.D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This, and the other books in Lori Armstrong's Julie Collins series, are the kind of books I talk about to people until they wish I'd just shut up already.

I confess, I've fallen hard for Lori's heroine Julie Collins, a chain smoking, hard-drinking redneck woman with a serious obsession over finding the person who killed her beloved half brother. That story arc is finally resolved in this book, with devastating results for Julie. And her other obsession,with the dangerous biker warlord Tony Martin
SheLove2Read
May 20, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've yet to read a LGA story that doesn't ROCK and this is no exception.

This 3rd book in the Julie Collins series (and must be read in order) is the best one yet. We see Julie dealing with her demons, her on/off relationship with Hombres motorcycle "club" president Tony Martinez (swoon!), her friendship with Kevin and a new family member. Secrets abound! We also get to see a thrilling showdown between Julie and the person who killed her brother Ben (yes, we finally find out whodunnit) which lea
Jeanne Jem
Life is never easy for Julie. In the third PI Julie Collins book, she is still dealing with the death of her brother, the relationship with her father who used to beat her, his family and if that isn’t enough yet another horrific case to investigate. Her relationship with badass sexy biker, Tony Martinez is a mess too.

Julie is so tenacious. She can’t stop seeking answers. While she tries to solve the case the agency has been retained for, she’s also deeply embroiled in turmoil with Tony’s crew.
Jeanne Jem
Mar 28, 2012 Jeanne Jem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life is never easy for Julie. In the third PI Julie Collins book, she is still dealing with the death of her brother, the relationship with her father who used to beat her, his family and if that isn’t enough yet another horrific case to investigate. Her relationship with bad-ass sexy biker, Tony Martinez is a mess too.

Rebecca Black
Feb 16, 2017 Rebecca Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW....This series is unbelievably amazing. I'm not a big mystery reader but Lori Armstromg just grips you, brings you into the suspenseful dark mystery!..Her writing brings you in and you can't get out!!...Another Fantastic Julie Collins mystery series.
Eileen
Feb 19, 2011 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thinnk that this is my favorite one of the 3 so far. Julie has really developed and I am really beginning to understand her better. Dreams play such a big part in these stories which fascinate me because they are such a big part of my life. Julie's journey has definitely been an interesting ride so far and I am looking forward to the next and final installment.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
LOVED,LOVED, LOVED it....and boy did things heat up with Julie and Tony. Each book keeps me in suspense until the end. I love Julie's hard ass attitude and hidden vulnerability, and man is Tony one sexy bad boy =)

I am sad to know there are only 4 bks in the series.
Shari
Feb 15, 2017 Shari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Private Investigator Julie Collins is back in Shallow Grave, book 3 of the Julie Collins Mysteries Series. Shallow Grave is set a few months after the events of Hallowed Ground and finds Julie and Kevin working together on a more even footing after Lily’s death. While conducting surveillance on a Worker’s Comp case Julie and Kevin witness the accidental death of their subject. The circumstances surrounding the accident lead them to the discovery of a body and into the middle of a five-year-old m ...more
Shana Brown
Feb 13, 2017 Shana Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevin and Julie have found their stride again since Lilly died and Kevin came back to work. They are working an insurance fraud case when the subject in question dies in front of them. While figuring what happened to cause his death Julie stumbles along another body. The body of a young Indian woman. Someone with a connection to a friend of her dead brother, Ben.

Julie and Tony have been working through the beginnings of their relationship. But Julie is starting to feel some frustrations about t
Cynthia Bishop
Feb 25, 2017 Cynthia Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am finding a new love in my reading materials and it is mysteries. Julie Collins is one tough PI who doesn't think things through sometimes. If you mysteries or have never read a mystery book you should read this series. This book is my favorite of the series. I love that we got our answers that were brought up in the first book but still want more from Julie Collins the PI.

I was given an ARC from the author but that hasn't influenced by opinion of the book in any way.
Courtney Wade
Feb 13, 2017 Courtney Wade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think wow theist book in this series was amazing she goes and out does herself with the next one!! I loved it. Julie collins is having some crappy luck at work and questioning her relationship with Martinez not to mention the bombshell that gets dropped on her from her brothers past. You don't wanna miss this book it'll have you turning pages nonstop just to see what'll happen next. Once again another great book for this series. Way to go Lori!
Lauren
Feb 13, 2017 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was better then the last ones. I really enjoy this series and Julie. She is still running off doing crazy stuff without thought but it makes a great story. I am really looking forward to the next book. I am also excited to see her and Martinez relationship evolve. Great twists and mystery.
April Pawless
Feb 13, 2017 April Pawless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to start off by saying I love how real Julie is. I'd honestly feel like she reacts the way I would to the situations in this book which of course makes it all the more real for me. The writing is fantastic, the action is awesome and the mystery is there because it really does take towards the end of the book before you know who did it. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Sherry Bohrmueller
5 amazing star!!
This one was my favorite so far. The story was fast paced. I loved how Julie and Martinez moved into a new place in their relationship. The ending was phenomenal. Love this series, but this book put it over the top.
Tory
May 09, 2017 Tory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
love the references to music in the books.
love that she is fierce and sweet. not a mess but also doesn't have it figured out.
her history has provide empathy rather than 100% bitterness.

Love the line in book #1 - And the only person with worse taste in men, is my dead mother.
Diana Rising
May 04, 2017 Diana Rising rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one brings together threads from the earlier books and resolves the mystery that has been challenging the heroine for 4 years. There is a lot of action. There is a rather unusual romance. I really like the heroine.
Kayla Haswell Lee
Julie is the same determined tough girl in this 3rd book of the series. She continues to have trouble follow her and the search for her brothers killer still mingles with her PI work. Her and Tony's hot relationship continues steamed up full force.
Angela Shirley
Mar 03, 2017 Angela Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book follows Julie still working for Kevin within the PI world and old tragedies and family secrets are revealed. The story starts with Julie and Kevin staking out a guy who the insurance company thinks is faking his injuries, when Lang decides to go riding on his four wheeler the two of them follow him, but he is unaware of him being trouble bound.

Lang then takes off across the field and all of a sudden is launched off the vehicle and crashes to the ground, Kevin and Julie run from their ve
Tempie Bowers
Mar 13, 2017 Tempie Bowers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shallow Grave – Julie Collins Book 3
I love this series, but for me, this third book is my favorite. To paraphrase English poet Philip Larkin, our families f**k us up. Julie’s life is about as dysfunctional as any I know, but her extended family is somehow worse. A shocking relative is revealed and the greatest hurt and mystery of Julie’s life is answered in this book. Despite the pain and disappointment surrounding Julie’s family, I love her growing relationship with Martinez and the sense of fa
Lynn
Mar 17, 2017 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! The mysteries unfold in surprising ways and kept me guessing until near the end. Absolutely loving the relationship between Julie and Martinez. The series keeps getting better and better.
Dee Beltran
Mar 13, 2017 Dee Beltran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Julie Collins series and I really enjoyed this book. Each book just seems to get better and full of suspense until the end. The intense feeling between Julie and Tony are still strong and comes to a point where they know what each other wants. Julie puts herself on the line to get to the bottom of the unsolved mystery but what will the cost be.
Sherry
Mar 10, 2017 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Love this series! I think each book gets better and better. Julie Collins is such a sassy, smart mouth, determined, if there's trouble she finds out PI. This book is full of action, suspense, surprises, and great characters. Julie finds answers to one of her biggest questions as she works to solve other cases and her and Tony's relationship continues to become more serious. I love these two together. Can't wait to read the next book.
Andrea Hoover smith
Loved it!!! As usual Julie is her same self and her and Kevin get into some trouble while investigating a case dealing with insurance fraud. This is a mystery but her relationship with Martinez is heating up!! Read it!!!
April
Feb 25, 2017 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even begin to explain how happy I am to have been aquatinted with these Lori Armstrong books. I never envisioned where JULIE Collins is in book three when I started book one. How she evolved as a character has been so much fun to follow. She is definitely one bad ass PI.
Andi
Feb 19, 2017 Andi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Suspense Thriller - Just keeps getting better and better. Julie Collins, personifies a tough, self-relianct, I can handle this, all by myself, attitude. She doesn't back down from her need to make things fair and right, even with her own demons nipping at her heals. Solving her way through murders and crime, while trying to cover her vulnerability in falling for hot Tony Martinez. Couldn't put it down, definitely a page turner. Love Lori Armstrong's writing style!
Tracybeach
Feb 17, 2017 Tracybeach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book!! I had some suspicions about the killer in this one, but really didn't figure it out until it was time to. Lots of twists and turns and action in this one! Julie Collins still drinks, smokes, and tells it like it is and as a reader you have to love that, because it's real. Her relationships with her significant other, best friend, and even her sister change in this book. She gets into trouble with her mouth and by acting impulsively, but if she didn't do that, I wou ...more
Brandi
Feb 17, 2017 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok book 3 in this series is the best by far. I got into reading romance to get a happily ever after. This series has brought back my need for mystery!

Julie is embroiled into another start as simple turn complicated case. Her relationship with the president of a big bad motorcycle group is on the brink of a new level. Her and her partner Kevin have come back to where they were prior to Lily's death.

So many twists and turns, Julie finally gets closure for her brother's murder. Such a great series
Kimberly Maher
Feb 18, 2017 Kimberly Maher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in this series is without question the most important. Julie Collins never fails to get herself into more trouble. However, Julie Collins is strong and she is a survivor. The mystery begins to reveal itself in this book. Couple Julie's brashness with her insecurity and vulnerability what is not to love!!
New Mercy Gunderson Mystery From Lori Armstrong 1 4 Jan 14, 2011 10:17AM
Cyber Launch Party Today For Shamus Winner Lori Armstrong 1 2 Jan 12, 2010 05:33AM
  • Wicked Garden
  • Texas Men
  • Disturbing the Dead (Rachel Goddard Mystery, #2)
  • Kissing Cowboy (Men of S.W.A.T., #3)
  • Two Kill Again (The Cleary Case Files)
  • Party Naked (Cocktales #1)
  • Tropical Sin (Bandicoot Cove, #3; Heart of Fame, #0.5)
  • Hail Mary (Jim Knighthorse series, #3)
  • Incredible (The Inevitable Trilogy #3)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Cutter
Lori Armstrong is the two-time winner of the Shamus Award given by the Private Eye Writers of America and a New York Times bestselling author of contemporary western erotic romance, written as Lorelei James. Her books have won the Willa Cather Literary Award and have been nominated for the High Plains Book Award and the Daphne du Maurier Award. She lives in western South Dakota - See more at: http ...more
More about Lori G. Armstrong...

PI Julie Collins (4 books)
  • Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1)
  • Hallowed Ground (PI Julie Collins, #2)
  • Snow Blind (PI Julie Collins, #4)