Start by marking “Murder in the Abstract” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Abstract

Murder in the Abstract (Dani O'Rourke #1)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Danielle O'Rourke's gala evening at the Devor Museum ends in catastrophe when the body of a young artist plummets from her office window. The police label it murder and suspect Dani, the Museum's chief fund raiser. Self-preservation and an insider's understanding of how money moves the art world drive her to investigate who might have a motive for murder. Dani's playboy ex ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Thomas & Mercer (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Abstract, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Abstract

Owlbite
Jan 01, 2012 Owlbite rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uh, my dad gave me this to read. It's supposed to take place in a thinly veiled SFMOMA. I am wary.

A day later ...

Well, the murder story was interesting, but I did not enjoy the writing. I found all the phone flipping and snapping particularly irksome - srsly a VP of Development at a SF museum has a fifteen-year-old phone!? I don't think so. Also frequent references to the narrator's clothing size, calorie intake, and what she was eating bordered on misogyny. Bah, and the artist, gallery, and mus
Karen
Nov 28, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books, crime, usa
One of the most difficult things about reviewing books is what to do when presented with a book which uses devices and has a style that is normally something I'd avoid, due to personal preference. Doesn't mean that it's a bad book, and it certainly doesn't mean that the book won't have a legion of fans (in fact it probably should just about guarantee it). I'm also aware that problems are considerably more obvious when there's other things going on that aren't working for a reader.

Needless to say
Elizabeth A.
Jun 17, 2010 Elizabeth A. rated it really liked it
One more mystery, I thought bitterly. I kept adding mysteries but didn’t seem to be making progress solving any of them. – Dani O’Rourke

One wouldn’t expect the chief fund raiser for a posh art museum to find herself at the center of a murder mystery, yet that is precisely where Danielle “Dani” O’Rourke finds herself in Susan Shea’s debut novel, Murder in the Abstract.

What should be a triumphant, gala evening of celebration at the Devor Museum where Dani works is cut brutally short when up-and-co
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jun 11, 2010 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
What has San Franciso, CA and Santa Fe, NM have in common? Murder. How , why, when...these are questions I asked myself as I began the fast-paced, fun-laced, trek through the modern art world in both cities. The sleuth is involved in the magical world of fine art as she is plunged into a murder.

Page one had me laughing as the speed of the crime astonished me. You are involved without even realizing it. I sped through the chapters like running traffic lights. On top of it all the Author's descri
Ronn
Aug 05, 2015 Ronn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book that is ideal for a long plane trip. It's not real deep, but still interesting enough to hold attention. It takes place in the art communities of San Francisco and Santa Fe. I would read more by Shea if her work came my way.
James Ziskin
Dec 30, 2014 James Ziskin rated it it was amazing
I loved Dani O'Rourke and the mystery. The relationship with her ex is a bonus that I truly enjoyed. Smart and clever.
Mary Bird
This was an interesting story, with some interesting characters. There were a few things that stopped me from getting fully into it - the main character, for example, never ever answers her cell phone despite the fact that bad things are constantly happening, and some of the characters feel a bit flat and a little indistinguishable. However it wasn't something that ruined the story, and I'd be interested in reading more in this series.
Steve Shea
Jan 05, 2015 Steve Shea rated it really liked it
Not generally a fan of mysteries, but it's my mother's first novel...and I really enjoyed it. Murder in the Abstract establishes Dani O'Rourke as an (view spoiler) detective in events that pursue her before she turns the tables. The climax of the action is full of tension and doubt, and the resolution leaves her in further doubt and regret, but O'Rourke is made of tough stuff, as Shea proves in the sequel, The King's Jar.
Susan
Dani has an important job raising funds for a San Francisco museum. When someone is thrown from her office window during a soiree, she becomes a suspect. Of course, Dani knows she didn't do it--but she does wonder about both her assistant and her boss, both of whom are behaving suspiciously. A trip to Arizona, partly to go to an art opening of one of the artists at the soiree, leads to more death and more danger.
Laurel Benson
Feb 02, 2014 Laurel Benson rated it liked it
This book had too many characters. Not sure it's going to be a hit with me but I will read the second book in the series and see where it's going before deciding.
Karen
Apr 27, 2013 Karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Well, that was painful. Way too many characters, red herrings, fantastic coincidences and unexplained plot points. My OCD compelled me to finish the book, which was thankfully under 300 pages. I will not be looking for the next installment of Dani O'Rourke, amateur detective.
Chloe Dyer
Nov 04, 2012 Chloe Dyer rated it really liked it
This had a very good twist to the mystery. kept me guessing.
Susan Shea
Aug 04, 2015 Susan Shea added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Sabrina * Loki's Lover *
Sabrina * Loki's Lover * marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Ana Manwaring
Ana Manwaring marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 08, 2016
Roseann Moss
Roseann Moss marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Rufinetta
Rufinetta rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Louise Smith
Louise Smith marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Donna Byrnes
Donna Byrnes rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Lynne Craddock
Lynne Craddock marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Dani O'Rourke (3 books)
  • The King's Jar (A Dani O'Rourke Mystery #2)
  • Mixed Up With Murder