Mermaids in the Basement

Mermaids in the Basement

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,426 ratings  ·  257 reviews

Reeling from the loss of her mother, plagued with a bad case of writer's block (and don't even talk about those extra twenty pounds), Renata DeChavannes feels as though everything is just plain wrong. And that was before the tabloids caught her sweetheart, filmmaker Ferg Lauderdale, sharing an intimate squeeze with Hollywood's hottest young tamale.

But the granddaughter of

Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mermaids in the Basement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaids in the Basement

Relyn
Jul 13, 2008 Relyn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not a single soul
Recommended to Relyn by: no idea, but I wish I knew so I could mark all their other recom
I can't even believe that I finished this book. It had an amazingly beautiful cover and an awesome title. As we all know, that doesn't make a good book - it only grabs your attention. Yikes, this was bad! Full of inappropriate sex, a lame plot, and characters that were supposed to be charming southern crazies, but ended up only crazy. This book was completely ICK! Example: Grandma's best friend tells adult granddaughter how she (friend) had an affair with Granddaughter's Father (bestfriend's son...more
Kylie
Jan 26, 2008 Kylie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alli
Another AWESOME book by this author! Great characters as always. Wonderful story that keeps you guessing. I wanted to hold myself captive and read entire book in one sitting.
Adrian
May 31, 2008 Adrian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Loved, loved it! It was a great a way to start the summer. Being from the coast myself- I loved the story & it's setting. As always with a great book, I'm sad it's over...

Amy
May 14, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Trish
Shelves: southern-fiction
Loved this book!! Crazy southern women; great characters!! Would make a great discussion book.
Leigh Hunt
I loved this book. A young woman who is at odds with her father. She is given a trunk filled with family secrets and one by one she unravels them. I laughed outloud all through it. The tragedy/comedy is well balanced. I inhaled it in a day and want more.
Melissa
Fun, fun read, full of Southern Charm!
Kelly
Southern living with Hollywood flair and generations of strong women. A 33 year old returns home seeking solace and learns the truth about her mother and father, their love and their divorce.
Heather
I loved this book! It's great Southern fiction -- lots of quirky characters and beautiful descriptions. The relationships ring very true. It's funny and touching.
Tere
One of my favorite reads for the year.
Jaime
Mar 26, 2008 Jaime rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaime by: anyone who liked Ya Ya.
A book about southern women similar in style to Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood. Part of the plot revolves around a woman whose boyfried is cheating on her. The resolution of that plotline occurs very quickly & was a bit unsatisfying.

But other than that, it was a great story and an easy read.

Lydia M.
Apr 02, 2008 Lydia M. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Anne Rivers Siddons
A sweet and funny book. Once I got past the chick lit opening chapters the book kept me up all night.
Jamie
This was a cute book. Its funny and bittersweet. Renata was a troubled little girl in Mad Girls In Love but now she is a 30 something screenwriter with love and career troubles. She goes back to the deep south on a treasure hunt to uncover her late mother's secrets. Her mother was beautiful and wild but all that is a shock to Renata. Along the way she reconnects with her heart surgeon father and is accused of trying to kill his latest girlfriend. This is the last book in the Crazy Ladies trilogy...more
Mary Lea
I loved this book!!! LOVED IT! I actually went to the book store to try to find another book by this author last night after I was done with this book. I'm a big fan of any books that take place in the south. This is the type that I love best.. scorned woman returns to her roots and stays with her family while she tries to figure out her past. It flashes back to the past and comes back to the present. She sorts through her family's "dirty" laundry and it's very entertaining.
Noel
lush and lovely novel with great characters and romantic twists, secrets, and sumptious estates. great summer read.
Lissa
it was a light read, cute
Rachael
If you liked "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood", you will love this book. Woman has falling out with boyfriend, escapes to another town, learns lots of family secrets from mother's best friends, seeks reconciliation with parent, boyfriend gallantly tracks her down, etc. Lots of similar themes. I enjoyed this book. It created interesting characters, and heartbreaking stories where there really is no good guy/bad guy. The mermaid motif was little too forced, and not in any way subtle. Overal...more
Kirsten
Jul 01, 2008 Kirsten rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heather
This book was very entertaining. I enjoyed it. I especially love the part about slipping a little something into food at a party (so funny) and setting designer handbags free. It was totally my style and I found it interesting that the author slightly tied this story into his other book, "Mad Girls in Love." Also, I think that "Zap" is a great name for a tiny, little yappy dog!
Alexis
A fun easy read set in the South, totally a book for pleasure!
Bugsy
Jul 22, 2008 Bugsy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bugsy by: kathy, joan, crystal, betty, lucia
This was a three hankie book. I would have to say it's more like 4 1/2 stars but I will round it off because it's so much fun. I was swept away by the bittersweet romance between a New Orleans heart surgeon and his free spirited wife. Louie and Shelby were star crossed lovers who dearly loved each other but could not seem to get it right. If you are a southern lit scholar, if you are expecting a pulitzer prize novel, this isn't it. But if you want a juicy story, an afternoon escape, with laughte...more
Kathy
I loved the characters, the plot, the setting, and the great Southern charm of this book. In other words, it was a great read, with wit and wisdom combined as only Southern women can so easily spin. The women in this novel will entertain and educate you with their endearing Southern charm and steel resolve.
Jill
This book was an enjoyable book with eccentric characters and a good story. I'm going to read more by this author!
Kim
Fun book. I am sad it is over because I looked forward to reading it every night.
Kristi
I have only read one other book by Michael Lee West, Crazy Ladies, and I liked it enough to read another one of her books. But this book let me down!

Now I am no literary expert, but don’t tons of people read and proof read this book before it actually goes into print? There are quite a few (what I think are) mistakes with this book. For instance, when Renata and her dad are arguing there is a paragraph that goes like this:

Daddy’s jaw twitched. He pushed away from the desk and started toward the...more
Julie
Couldn't put this page-turner by Michael Lee West down! I read it in hard-cover, but today - Jan. 6, 2009 - it comes out in soft-covers at bookstores.

Ripe with Southern charm and sultry atmosphere, West's diverting and funny latest unravels the tangled gossamer web of an eccentric extended Southern family. At the heart of the novel is Renata DeChavannes, who has a pretty full plate: a tabloid ran a story about her longtime film director boyfriend's possible on-set fling with an actress; her mot...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Renata DeChavannes is reeling from personal loss. She runs home to her grandmother in Alabama, seeking answers to questions about her mother.

I don't have a lot to say except that I can't help but feel like this has been done before. Younger generation, digging in the past, looking for parents' secrets. Sound familiar? I'm thinking of Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood , and this book is nowhere near as good as that one.

I liked most of the present-day characters. Renata was pretty funny, but...more
Princess
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!! However (there is always one of these...) there are several gratuitous sex scenes that don't really add much to the overall story. Renata is a wonderful character and I enjoyed getting to know her and the rest of her family. Sometimes, if I missed reading the chapter heading correctly, I got a little confused as to whose voice I was reading but overall the book was great.
Inge
I absolutely loved this book! A fabulous story of a woman who has to look into her past to be able to forge ahead into her future. Her childhood was painted bright rays of happiness and love. Now as an adult she finds that in order to cope with the tragic and sudden death of her mom, and a reuniting with a dad she has never known, she must peer into closets that hold secrets she never knew about.
Patti
Told from various characters point of view, I was a little confused at times, at least until I figured out each characters voice. It's a fascinating look into a young woman's past, all the stupid things her parents and other adult figures around her did, the repressed memories, good and bad and how she comes out of it.
Emily
Picked this up because the Southern Lit group here on Goodreads is reading, and I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. Girl with daddy issues and a dead mother? Not a terribly unique storyline. I feel kinda bad for not liking it, though, since it seems like most people in the group do. Oh, well. Maybe next time . . .
Reader's Choice B...: Mermaids in the Basement 13 11 Nov 26, 2013 06:47PM
  • Falling
  • A Place Called Wiregrass
  • How High the Moon
  • The Cotton Queen
Michael Lee West grew up on the Gulf Coast with a wild tribe of Southern cooks. She lives on a farm near Nashville with her family. Michael is the author of Crazy Ladies, Mad Girls in Love, She Flew the Coop, American Pie, Mad Girls in Love, Mermaids in the Basement, Consuming Passions, and Gone With a Handsomer Man. Her new novel, A Teeny Bit of Trouble, is the second installment in the Teeny Tem...more
More about Michael Lee West...
Crazy Ladies Gone With a Handsomer Man She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana Mad Girls in Love A Teeny Bit of Trouble