Start by marking “Shattered: Reclaiming a Life Torn Apart by Violence” as Want to Read:
Shattered: Reclaiming a Life Torn Apart by Violence

Shattered: Reclaiming a Life Torn Apart by Violence

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In April 1998, Debra Puglisi Sharp -- wife, nurse, and mother of teenage twins -- was tending the roses in her garden when a factory worker with a cocaine habit slipped in through an open door and waited for her to come in. Nino, her husband of twenty-five years, got in the way and was shot. The man then attacked and raped Debra, placed her in the trunk of his car, and dro ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Atria Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered

Eva Leger
I read this a few years ago because it interested me for two reasons- one being that I was on a real true crime kick and the other reason being that it happened about ten minutes from my house. Luckily, this sort of thing "doesn't happen around here" very often....at the same time it was of great interest to me.
Flagg worked at a plant that most Delawareans have worked at or have family who have worked at and the author lived in two or three towns that I've also lived in and/or spent a great dea
Kristy
Jan 24, 2011 Kristy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime readers
This is a true story of the violence that Debra Puglisi Sharp lived through, in her own words. This first-hand account is terrifying and sad. Ms. Sharp recounts the horrific details of being kidnapped, raped, and held hostage inside the home of her husband’s murderer. She finally tells her story, uncensored and real. I can’t help but think of the multitude of other victims of violence whose stories never get told.

The book is kind of divided up in three parts: First is her experience of the crim
Donna Gough
This was an amazing book, one that will be with me for a long time. It's the true story of Debra Puglisi Sharp's horrific encounter with a violent criminal, how she survived it, and rebuilt her life once she escaped. I cannot imagine how terrifying the experience must have been for her, especially after learning while she was still held captive that her husband had been killed in the attack. Many passages are deeply moving, at times even difficult to read, but her story is, in the end, inspirati ...more
Barbara
Renee Cutchen
Assigned to read this book in 2010, for a class on Victimology while pursuing my Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. I could not put this book down, terrifying and heartbreaking. Also, I admire Ms. Sharp immensely for her survival and her outreach to other victims (and family members of survivors).
Sky
Very good book, with a feel good ending if that makes any sense. I would have never expected the story to go the way it did, but it is a very encouraging book. While the cirumstances and the crime is extremely sad, I love how Pugilisi has somewhat been able to pick up some of the pieces and find some sort of happiness in her life.
Kristin
I liked this book. Gave an amazing, true, picture of what someone goes through who not only loses a husband to murder, but was kidnapped and tortured. The trial at the end is super interesting and so is the story. The reason I gave it 3 stars is because she really drags out some parts. I found myself skimming some parts, as opposed to actually reading, when she went on about the death of her husband. I appreciated these feelings, but again, parts were dragged out. Interesting though.
Kelli
Very well written account of the author's physical and emotional struggles as she recovers from being widowed, kidnapped and abused. The first half of the book details the attack while the rest deals with Puglisi-Sharp's time with her therapist, the obstacles her children dealt with during the healing process and the trial of her attacker. Uplifting and not at all sugar coated view of the human spirit's ability to prevail in times of great loss.
Lisa Cerullo
This was a great book. It's a true story about a victom attacked and kidnapped from her own house in Delaware. It details how she serviced the kidnapping, rape and how she eventually escaped. I think any women should read this book. It's well written in a way it doesn't frighten the reader, but instead takes the reader through the events and how she servived physically and mentially with amazing courage.
Debra Mccracken
A compelling, chilling true life account of a woman whose husband was shot to death; she was kidnapped by his killer (a total stranger) and repeatedly raped and brutalized. She escapes, and the perp is caught and tried. This is a psychological book that goes into how this woman and her children dealt with the grief and trauma and recovery. Sad and hopeful at the same time.
Becky
Debra Puglisi's book about her experience being kidnapped and raped, as well as the murder of her husband at the hands of her kidnapper, is detailed and covers all aspects of the event, from the crime to the trail. It's amazing the types of hideous crimes that some people are able to survive. However, I didn't find her account particularly well-written or captivating.
Jeannie
This was such a good book I'm not sure 5 stars is enough to give it. I actually turned to the beginning and started reading it again as soon as I finished it. Debra's frightening story of how her world was "shattered" shows how quickly life can change thru no fault of our own. Her story of how she put her life back together was inspiring.
Michelle
This is not your typical true crime book - this is the first person account of one woman's triumph over tragedy. I was memorized by Ms. Puglisi's story and her words. The depth of emotions expressed in this book will take the reader on an amazing journey.
♥ Marlene♥
Had to go and search to see when I read this book. On bookcrossing I gave it 7.5 so I'll give it 3 stars here. and 8 is 4 stars. Do not remember much of this book which is not such a good sign but on the other hand, my memory is really bad and i read a lot.
Cyndi Lauderdale
My mother attended a presentation given by the author, read the book and passed the book to me. As an active gardener, I can tell you this book has instilled upon me to lock the doors even it you are merely just foot steps outside.
Deborah
This was an amazing, insightful book complete with horror and magnificence. I'm glad to find that Debbie escaped the hands of her death with courage and will; even still, it is sad to know what she has gone through.
Andrea
Very disturbing - made my want to lock my doors and never go outside! But also very inspiring - her survival and her ability to move forward are nothing less than amazing.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
This story is so sad and frightening. To think just by working in your garden you could be spotted by a psycho and have your whole world torn apart.
Ken Kozlosky
Very gripping story about how a family is turned upside down. I read this in two days and did not want to stop. I recommend this one for all.
Love
I really tried to stick with this one.It was all to mixed up in the begining and very slow to get to any point. Sorry only 1 star!
Nina
I truly admire those who are able to write about trauma and grief. Debbie manages to do that well.
Pamela King
I loved this book, and I admire Debra's ability to write about such a traumatic event.
Laurie
amazing and gripping. This is a very well written book that I could not put down.
Jay Kovach
One of the best nonfiction books I have ever read. I will be reading it again soon.
Micaela
This was a fantastic book about the strength and courage. Very inspiring.
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • To the Last Breath
  • Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder
  • Goodbye, Dearest Holly
  • It Takes a Worried Man
  • Candidate Without a Prayer: An Autobiography of a Jewish Atheist in the Bible Belt
  • Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion
  • The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing
  • House of Evil