Start by marking “Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)

Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,931 Ratings  ·  1,543 Reviews
Jack and Annie's very first fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Where did the tree house come from?

Before Jack and Annie can find out, the mysterious tree house whisks them to the prehistoric past. Now they have to figure out how to get home. Can they do it before dark . . . or will they become a dinosaur's dinner?

Visit the Magic T
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House for Young Readers (first published July 28th 1992)

Whitney Atkinson
Nov 16, 2014 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Reread for nostalgia's sake. it's so weird how when i was a kid they would take me an hour to read but now i can go through it in 20 minutes
Tea Jovanović
Divan serijal knjiga za malu decu... o avanturama brata i sestre koji u svojoj kučici na drvetu pronalaze knjigu i listajući je prenose se u drugo vreme i u tom vremenu doživljavaju avanture... pa malo idu u prošlost a malo i u budućnost i u svakoj knjizi deca se lepo zabave i ponešto novo nauče... Serijal je veliki hit u svetu već godinama, doživeo je mnoga izdanja a i naša deca su te knjige veoma lepo prihvatila... Autorka je divna, imali smo prilike da se družimo s njom davne 2005. tokom sajm ...more
Lstirl
Nov 24, 2008 Lstirl rated it it was amazing
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House Series #1) by Mary Pope Osborne,

A good transition into chapter books for the new reader.

While formulaic, predictable, and not particularly clever, this series serves the purpose of providing adventure at a fast moving pace for the new to chapter book set. The predictable nature of these books adds to their appeal as it makes them easier to comprehend and also helps them stay familiar. Kids of this age can be easily daunted by books and tend to be drawn to
Jess
Nov 01, 2008 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: beginning-reader
Beginning reader
For grades 1-3

Jack and his sister Annie discover a book-filled tree house, and, when Jack opens a book about dinosaurs, discover that it can magically transport them back in time to see real dinosaurs.

Organized into ten short chapters, with a full-page illustration per chapter, this is a highly appealing story for early readers. The text is clear and concise, with a fairly simple vocabulary but with characters and plot that will keep readers hooked. The black and white illustrati
Carol
Oct 02, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing
As an adult, I'd have to say this is not five star reading material. However, it rates five stars because my second grader eats these books up, and is getting a glimpse of loads of different places and historical events.
Niloo Beygi
Jan 07, 2016 Niloo Beygi rated it it was ok
مجموعه ی خانه ی درختی سحرآمیز نوشته ی مری پوپ آزبرن ترجمه ی محمد قصاع توسط نشر پیکان از سال 88 به بعد منتشر شده.
ای مجموعه که هر جلدش یه داستان متفاوت داره درباره ی سفر زمانی یک خواهر و برادره که هربار یک برهه ی زمانی متفاوت رو تجربه می کنن و طی این داستان آموزش هایی به بچه ها داده می شه. برای همین داستانش خیلی ساده است.
جلد اول درمورد سفر به دوران حیات دایناسورها و شناختن چند نوع از اونا و برخور داشتن باهاشونه.
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
The first book in the Magic Tree House series is an exciting beginning to the time-traveling adventures of 8 year old Jack and his 7 year old sister Annie. Osborne builds this excitement deftly, first introducing the mysterious tree house full of books that then transporting them on Jack’s inadvertent wish to see a Pteranodon in one of the books to the Cretaceous period when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. The sibling’s encounters with various dinosaurs prove heart pounding, as some of them are not ...more
Brad
This is a cute, inoffensive little adventure story that winds up offending me anyway simply by being present in the world. What sort of a grump am I, eh?

I was looking for something a little easier for my dyslexic girl. She'd been struggling with some bigger books, and she needed a burst of confidence to help her get back to where she wanted to be, so I found this book, saw how easy it was and brought it home for her.

Mission accomplished: she blew through it, had fun, and moved straight back to
Camie
Aug 25, 2015 Camie rated it really liked it
My 7 year old Grandson has not read much over the ( hectic) summer. Had to get this great little "reluctant reader" book to get us back in gear. Worked great , he's loving the story and it's perfect for starting second graders. Box set #1-4 4 stars
Karissa
Mar 21, 2013 Karissa rated it really liked it
I read this book with my six year old son. He was very excited to get the first Magic Tree House book and I was very curious since I have heard a ton about this series. This is a great read for younger children and children just learning to read.

Jack and Annie find a magic tree house in the woods near their house. When they go up in the tree house they find it’s filled with books. When Jack takes down a book about Dinosaurs and starts to read it when him and Annie are magically transported to a
Emily
Apr 11, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
This review goes for the entire series. Any books that can keep my almost-4-year-old so interested and excited that we can discuss them in the car, at breakfast, at lunch, before bed, guess what might happen next, say, "this is kind of like what happened in our book," and that we actually have to have a stack of the next few sitting here "just in case," is a 5 star in my book.

Each one takes Jack and Annie into the pages of a new book. We have learned about (and wanted to investigate further) mu
Heidi
Ages K-4
Brother-and sister team Jack and Annie transport through space and time in a book-filed magic tree house in the woods behind their neighborhood. I first tried reading from Lions at Lunchtime, but quickly realized that it referred to important events and objects from this first book of the series, Dinosaurs Before Dark. I read aloud this book to my Kindergartener, and she loved the characters and action, which moves along at a fast pace. Osborne builds suspense and strong imagery, a feat
Cameron
Apr 21, 2015 Cameron rated it really liked it
I have fond memories of the Magic Tree House series. As a kid, I'd curl up in bed while my mom sat next to me reading this series aloud, book by book. I loved it and my mom got a real kick out of the stories as well. Because I love Magic Tree House as much as I do, I try to recommend it to kids so that they may experience the adventures of Jack and Annie, too.

Last year, I started tutoring two young children who don't really have a love of reading. I thought nothing would be better to introduce t
Alexa
Jan 30, 2013 Alexa rated it liked it
I don't really know how to rate children's books like this one. I didn't particularly like it, but I can see the things that would make children like it. The story was imaginative and creative and when the t-rex showed up, it became scary and exciting. Mostly I felt that Annie seemed like a fun kid and Jack needed to get the stick out of his rear end.
Feb 13, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of a wonderful series. I read the series aloud to my kindergarten class every year. It is just right for their listening level. It is about a 2-3 grade reading level. No language or inappropriate behavior. Teaches history and geography.
Tim The Enchanter
Apr 15, 2016 Tim The Enchanter rated it it was amazing
I have started reading this series to my 6 year old daughter. While a bit too advanced for her current reading level, it is an excellent book to read aloud. The book contains elements of science fiction and fantasy with magical books and time travel and the early threads of mystery that subsequent books can explore.

Each story is short and well contained. It is succinct enough that the early reader/listener can maintain a grasp on the plot from beginning to end. My daughter loves the series thus
Hailee Gorges
Mar 14, 2014 Hailee Gorges rated it liked it
"Dawn of the Dinosaurs" is the first book in this series by Mary Pope Osborne. The books starts off when Jack and Annie find this tree house while walking in the woods in Frog Creek. They decide to see what is inside the mysterious looking tree house. Inside they found a whole bunch of books. Jack found a book about dinosaurs, and starts thinking how cool it would be to see a dinosaur in real life. Before they knew it Jack and Annie were taken back in time to prehistoric times. They first encoun ...more
Denise
Oct 10, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
Some of my students in Phoenix, as well as my little cousin, have been big fans of Magic Tree House. This was the first time I'd read any of the books, and it was a good book. I did not have the depth a book requires for me to give it anything more than three stars, but that's not Mary Pope Osborne's purpose in this book, so I don't mean that as a criticism. What I had heard about Magic Tree House (and what I now can agree with having read the first book) is that the beauty of the series is how ...more
Sandie
Feb 23, 2009 Sandie rated it really liked it
Okay, Elliott and I love these books!! I have always read to Elliott, and so we have an amazing assortment of childrens' books. But when Elliott was approaching Kindergarten I could tell he was ready for just a little bit more. We got a CD of this book read by the author Mary Pope Osborne in a 'mighty kid's meal' at Wendys!! one of the only times that I ever agreed to getting the 'toy suprise':O) This is the first book in a long series of amazing books of adventure, magic, and true and factual h ...more
ABC
Jun 22, 2015 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
How could this book not get a good rating??? It is so popular and responsible for so many kids reading.

Having said that, I, as an adult, didn't find it interesting. I think my son found parts of it interesting, but he wasn't mesmerized.

A couple of things I didn't like: Mary Pope Osborne (the writer) often uses sentence fragments. Come on, I know it is easy reading, but I was always taught not to use fragments.
Another thing is that at the end, Annie and Jack (the main characters) agree not to t
Lisa
Aug 31, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
We took this series on a car trip with my 4 year old daughter. While the stories got a bit dull for us grown ups, my daughter loved every minute of it. When we got home, she grabbed the CD's and headed straight to her room to listen to more!
Beth
Feb 16, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I was looking for a book series that my six-year-old new reader might enjoy listening to (and down the road, reading to himself) and the Magic Tree House books fit the bill perfectly. It probably helped that the first book featured dinosaurs (his favorite subject), but everything about it seemed to be just his speed--the language, subject matter, interactions between the siblings Jack and Annie, the intensity of peril the kids face, etc., were all pitch-perfect for him.

I enjoyed the book myself
Danielle
Mar 05, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-series
The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne is full of adventure and interesting facts that young children will enjoy reading about. In the first book of the series Dinosaurs Before Dark, we are introduced to the two main characters Jack and Annie who live in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania. Jack is a very smart boy who loves books and learning new and interesting facts, and Annie is his adventurous sister who isn’t afraid of anything and seems to have a special connection with animals. The story ...more
Christi
Dec 10, 2012 Christi rated it it was amazing
Genre: Historical fiction

Summary: This is the first book in a series about a time-traveling duo who are transported in time by a magic tree house full of books, to the day of dinosaurs. They have a mission and have to discover clues that lead the reader on an interesting and informational journey.

Critique:

A. Style and information value
B. Mary Pope Osborne not only writes her books like she has done valid research on each subject, she writes non-fiction counterparts to many of her books that sh
Denise
Jan 04, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my 6 year old son's first step into the world of chapter books. It has been a long time for me, as I no longer really read children's or young adult literature for my own amusement. We read it together, as he still occasionally needs help with the bigger words, proper nouns and rule breakers. I had forgotten how chapter books are prone to fragments masquerading as complete sentences. Other than that, though, we both enjoyed the experience.
For my son, this was an amazing new adventure. A
Sarah Sammis
Jan 03, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
Last year Sean and Ian read the first eight Magic Tree House books together. Now that Sean and I have read a bunch of the later ones together I've decided to go back and read the first eight. The book that launched the series is Dinosaurs Before Dark.

In Dinosaurs Before Dark Jack and Annie have never seen the tree house before. They don't know who owns it or how it got Frog Creek. They do, however, figure out the basics of making it take them places. They end up going so far back in time that th
Jun 29, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Technically I have read this FOUR times with my child but I had to say that every time I've read it, I get the urge to watch the movie "Speed" because the children are named Jack and Annie and say each others names A LOT. Great little book for dino-loving little ones that need to level up from picture books.
Anette
Feb 09, 2016 Anette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
I just remembered this book! It's actually my favorite book from when I was around 7-9 or however old I was when I read this. I reread it a million times, I'm rating it purely on the basis of how much I enjoyed it as a kid. I don't think I still have it anywhere so I can't reread it for nostalgia :( Shame.
Kathleen
May 19, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
This review is not only for this title, but for the series. I gave it a 5 star rating because of how much my students love the series. The books are about a young brother and sister duo who travel through time and places to experience extraordinary adventures. They are beginning chapter books, so the plot and characters, might not be deeply developed. However, for the inexperienced reader, they offer an opportunity to develop literacy skills through the many books in the series.
I've used them
Carrie
Nov 16, 2015 Carrie rated it liked it
Recommended to Carrie by: Willow
My daughter read this book one night and her eyes were glued to it. I went in and told her it was time for bed and asked to finish the page, I told her finish the chapter. If I had left her alone she would have finished the book. She told me "mommy you have to read this" So I did.

It was cute and I can see how she enjoyed it with characters in her age range. And who wouldn't love finding a treehouse full of books, full of magical adventures to go on. A great start to a series for children who ar
Stuff Happening 2 2 Jan 14, 2016 07:03PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Children's chapter book from the 90s about a brother and sister who maybe travel through time? [s] 4 17 Jun 29, 2015 09:10PM
Magic tree house Book 1 11 43 Feb 02, 2015 06:02PM
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Flat Stanley (Flat Stanley, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)

“So let’s not tell anyone,” said Annie. “Dad won’t believe it,” said” 1 likes