Start by marking “Iguanas in the Snow / Iguanas en la nieve: And Other Winter Poems / y otros poemas de invierno” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This collection invites us to celebrate winter -- by the seashore, in the city of San Francisco, and in the ancient redwood forests of the Sierras. Maya Christina Gonzalez creates a spirited family of children and adults making their way through lively settings.
Published August 19th 2001 by Children's Book Press (CA) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Iguanas in the Snow / Iguanas en la nieve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iguanas in the Snow / Iguanas en la nieve

Cheryl in CC NV
Most of the best children's poetry that I've seen is simple bright metaphor, like this:

_*A Blank White Page*_

is a meadow
after a snowfall
that a poem
hopes to cross

But this book also has little story poems like _*Migrant Life in Seasons*_. And it has snapshots of places and people in the neighborhood, like the description of Rocking Rafael the singing cable car conductor.

The exuberant pictures create a corresponding glow in the reader's spirit. I would totally use this in Spanish class in High Scho...more
I loved this bilingual book of poems about celebrating the winter season in San Francisco and northern California. Maya Christina Gonzalez’s colorful, lively pictures enhance the joyous, expressive poetry of Francisco X. Alarcón. For each poem there is the Spanish version and then the English version written in short phrases and generally three lines per stanza. It is quite obvious to me that the author is absolutely bilingual in both languages, as each version of a poem is written truly as its...more
Lillian
First Snowfall
The sky
is sending
soft kisses
to the earth

Maya Christina Gonzalez's vibrant and joyous illustrations combined with Francisco X. Alarcon's luminous poetry make this collection of childrens seasonal poems a delight to behold. Quite simply, it will place a smile on your face.
Katrina
A wonderful collection of poems in Spanish and English with colorful illustrations. The story is set in the Bay area.
Erin Ramai
Iguanas in the Snow: And Other Winter Poems is appropriate for children ages 5-10. It received a Pura Belpré Narrative Honor Award in 2002.

In this text, Alarcón shares his version of winter, experiences between Northern California and Mexico. For children living in certain regions of the United States, it may not make sense that it rains unceasingly during winter, rather than snowing. But this text provides a teachable moment in that while we experience a particular season in certain way, people...more
Tabitha
Independent Reading: 1st -4th grade

Alarcon brings to life a fun and humorous way to look at winter in his collection of poems in “Iguanas in the Snow”. He used free and nonsense verse forms in his text. Gonzalez mixed her vivacious illustrations in with the text creating harmony and symmetry. I really love how Alarcon gives Spanish and English verses of the poems and makes them so cohesive that they fix together perfectly. Children will love the playful pictures of other children from various na...more
Elizabeth Carrick
Why this book? Book of Spanish poems, with English translation on same pages

Theme/Keywords: poems about child play, seasons, city living (San Francisco)

Characteristics of quality: culturally oriented, accessible for Spanish and English, focus on city children

Special Features: poems written from child’s perspective, founded in daily experience as well as magical thinking

Gender of primary character: n/a lots of children

Race/ethnicity of primary character: Latinos

Cultural considerations: churches...more
Cynthia Kauffmann
children's poems. loved it.
Elizabeth
This is a book of poems written in both English and Spanish. They are very simple poems that the students would understand and enjoy. It shows them that poetry doesn't have to rhyme. My favorite is the poem that is the title of the book, . They are playing in the snow for the first time. They are green because they have gotten pants and coats from the army surplus store. Momma laughs and says, "we look like happy iguanas in the snow".
Heather Dunbar
Once again, same white boxes (starting to wonder if the problem is me?). I really liked the random tid-bits of information on the bottoms of the pages, and also snuck into one of the poems about trees and the sizes of their rings correlating to the amount of rainfall that season. My favorite part was how he referred to people as poems, "A Blank White Page, is a meadow after snowfall, that a poem, hopes to cross".
Thomas
If you were going to San Francisco, you would know the snow there. It seems logical that the season of poems series are coming from one after another. And every plot is anything to do with an old man, who is amiable, teach the children who to celebrate and welcome the Christmas in December. I say these book series are fit for children to read it over and over again.
Margaret
This is a book of poetry about winter. It has a definite family theme and activities families engage in together. There are also Latino themes of migrant workers going back to Mexico at the end of the harvest season. Iguanas in the Snow/ is about the extended family playing in the snow and looking like iguanas.
Claudia Naranjo
“Iguanas in the Snow” is a series of poems celebrating winter and life in San Francisco. The illustrator creates a family of Mexican workers who are not only working, but enjoying California. Gr. 1-3
Amanda Wilson
there is something so special about a story a child creates, and i loved these poems and they light they spread through a childs eyes. they really make you sit back and appreciate the simpler things.
Taneka
Great for any children's collection. Illustrations are colorful and keep the readers attention. Great for any English speaking individual attempting to learn the Spanish language.
Anthony Manna
Celebrate winter in two languages with a loving and lovable family. Poetry that makes you want to sing along.

Crystal Crites
I loved the poems and bright pictures in this book. I wish I knew Spanish and could read the translated poems as well.
Sarah Sammis
Jul 24, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Sharon Creech
Wonderful collection of bilingual poetry. The author lived in San Francisco for 20 years and now lives in Davis.
Elena Santana-ramirez
Elena Santana-ramirez marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
From the Bellybutton of the Moon/Del ombligo de la luna: And Other Summer Poems/Y otros poemas de verano Laughing Tomatoes/Jitomates risuenos: And Other Spring Poems/Y otros poemas de primavera Poems to Dream Together/Poemas Para Sonar Juntos From the Other Side of Night: New and Selected Poems Snake Poems