Peeling the Onion

Peeling the Onion

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  573 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The car accident changed everything. Before, Anna knew who she was and what she looked like. But now she's a stranger to her family, her friends, and herself. She is no longer the pretty, popular girl who loves karate. Her body now betrays her, and she knows it will never be the same. All the layers that made up the old Anna -- her looks, her friends, her sport -- have bee...more
Published February 9th 1999 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Peeling the Onion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peeling the Onion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Giver by Lois LowryHoles by Louis SacharThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
ALA 100 Best Books for Teens
97th out of 115 books — 116 voters
Green Witch by Alice HoffmanGuilt of the Innocent by Lindsay Anne KendalThe Skyhorse by H.L. CarpenterNight Terrors by Lindsay Anne KendalWitch Dreams by Vivian Vande Velde
YA Books Under 200 Pages
42nd out of 48 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Harshita
Tawny
Author: Wendy Orr
Title: Peeling the Onion
Genre: search for self novel
Publication Info: Bantam Doubleday. New York. 1996.
Recommended Age: 13 and up

Plot Summary: Anna, a 17-year-old karate-lover has her world turned upside down when she gets hit in a car accident and is seriously injured. She has broken her neck and really messed up her legs, thumb, and cognitive abilities. She will never be able to do karate again. Hayden, the driver of the car she was in, feels guilty and responsible for her pai...more
Vickie
Wendy Orr author of Peeling the Onion writes a compelling novel about Anna and a car accident that changes everything for her. For a short book, 166 pages, Peeling the Onion examines the layers of the main character Anna -who she was, who she is and who she will become. Her life is that of a bright and bubbly 17 year old until she is in a car accident that leaves her questioning everything.

Peeling the Onion is a book about self, relationships, and healing that comes from the inside out. Anna go...more
Cheryl Rainfield
Peeling the Onion is a powerful book that shows pain from the inside out, and hope and healing, too. It feels real and deep. It swept me up and took me along for the ride. I've read it a few times, and I know I'll be reading it again.
Jenafer
This book was horrible. SHE BROKE HER LEG GTFOVER IT AND MOVE ON. Goddamn this bitch was whiny.
Christina Batey
A young athlete in the prime of their life, cut down by a terrible accident - a plot similar to another great book I know!

The plot is a little bit cliched, but Ms Orr manages to throw in a couple of little twists - in the back of my mind, I knew there was going to be a happy ending - the fun was finding out exactly how.

The staccato writing style took a little bit of getting used to. I think it was because I have read so many flowing novels lately. Sometimes it was hard to delineate what was supp...more
Sally
I remember my English teacher raving about this book SO MUCH when it first came out, when I was in year 10, that I thought I'd actually read it at the time. But I saw it at the library the other week and it hit me that I actually couldn't remember it, so I decided to give it "another" read and you know what? I don't think I actually read it in year 10 after all!

The story is about Anna, who has been injured in a car accident, and follows her progress as she slowly recovers. It's not the happiest...more
Aleema Arastu
I really didn't enjoy this book at all. We had a disability unit in our English class at school with lots of books to choose where we'd have to read one, do a couple of journal entries on it, and then pick out a new one. I had just finished a really good book when I picked this one out. I had high hopes for it considering my experience with the book I'd read just before it. I was very disappointed though.

When I read the first chapter, it seemed really slow. I assumed this was just because it was...more
Erin Lawlor
The book "Peeling the Onion" by Wendy Orr was an okay book overall but a little confusing at times because it went back and forth most of the time. The book was mostly about a girl Anna who got into a car accident with a boy Hayden and then finds out that she likes him more than she did before. Anna also finds out more about herself and her friends while the story goes more on and the layers she is peeling them back like an onion. I like the idea of the book itself but the way it was explained...more
george
Anna has just won her karate competition and her sort-of boyfriend just kissed her. Things are going great--and then she gets into a car accident that changes her life forever. She is badly injured and the doctors are predicting a grim future for Anna. Her friends are reacting strangely to her and Hayden hovers, but won't ever touch her. Anna has plans for her future and makes a timeline in her head for when she can return to normal--but the time comes and she still hasn't improved. Anna must ta...more
Jessica
3.5/5 stars.

I haven't read it in a while but from memory the writing leaves something to be desired but the plot and characters give the book enough to make it an enjoyable read.

I first read it in high school as a class study, I really enjoyed it and think it a good book for teenagers to read.

A coming of age story about overcoming adversity. Worth a read, recommended.
roseawall
I read this when I was in year 10 as part of my English class. I thought it was an okay book. The only part that really stuck with me was that people need to be careful whilst driving to avoid car accidents to the magnitude of someone getting seriously injured or killed.
Marielle
This book was really interesting and it was extraordinary to see what someone who has been in a life-altering accident thinks and feels. The author was actually in one such accident herself, so it put extra meaning behind the text that I found really special and insightful!
Selina
I've read this book about twelve or thirteen times since I first read it in 1998. This book influenced my view of strength, character, depression, recovery, and disability. Basically, it changed my life, first by inspiring me to go into physical therapy as a profession and then, after my own spinal injury, by giving me a story I could relate to.

The writing is deeply personal, the sort of wide-open honesty you would find in a diary, and the stages of Anna's recovery are wholly believable and subt...more
Stevecrandell
17-year-old Anna is such a strong character. Sure she’s angry a lot of the time, but she has a right to be. She’s the victim of a horrific car crash, and her recovery leads to almost as many setbacks as advances.

The author has been through her own severe car accident, and clearly knows the details of the recovery process. There’s an impressive dose of science, along with plenty of disturbing jolts of pain.

The narrative isn’t always so spectacular: choppy at times. Once outside the circle of fa...more
Lisa Grice
Incredibly insightful into the mind of someone facing struggles and change. I found this book to be refreshingly realistic, rather than just a 'you can do it' look at getting through a tragedy. One of my favourite textbooks from highschool English that I still have in my collection 15 years later.
Book-a-neer
Jul 29, 2014 Book-a-neer marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Courtney
I loved this book back when I was in high school and was really excited to find it was still in print. It's quite a bit different to how I remembered it, she's more depressed with her situation. But I still like that she pushes through and eventually finds something positive to live for.
Ciara
well written and beautiful. A little depressing but still beautiful!
Ashley Reynolds
This is a good one for teens, I think if you've ever known anyone who has gone through trauma at such a young age it may be helpful in understanding what they are going through.
My younger sister's best friend recently fell off of a waterfall and broke her back and sustained some similar injuries to those that Anna faced in this book, some of the passages hit home because of my own life. Otherwise it was fairly good read; I probably would have enjoyed it more if I were still a teen.
Genevieve
I first read 'Peeling the Onion' in 1997 and then I studied it at secondary school in 1998.
Even now 15 years later It is still a go to book when I feel like reading but don't know what.
Wendy Orr is a beautiful writer. You can't help wondering if a terrible accident was to happen to one of your friends would you act more like Jenny and Caroline??? And who would you choose, Hayden or Luke?
Beautiful story of friendship, families, love, courage and defiance. A must read :)
Lori
I liked this book because it was about a girl that used to be part of the popular croud... until she got in a really bad accident and was stuck in the hoapital for a long time. None of her so called friends came to visit, but she did get some visits from the people that she rarely talked to. This book gave me insite into what sometimes happens in the lives of teenagers, but i have always had very good friends and i know that wouldnt happen!!! :)
Jenny
I think that Wendy Orr did an excellent job conveying the effect an accident can have on someone, particularly an adolescent with their entire life in front of them.

It was a bit creepy for me to read this book. My daughter is very athletic and her main sport is karate. She had surgery in February to address a hip injury. I found myself wondering how I would react if my daughter had been in a car accident like this instead.

Tammy
Peeling the Onion is a bittersweet novel of strength and determination. Anna was a karate champion, and had the guy. Suddenly it all changed in a fatal car accident where she breaks her neck, and suddenly she must decide weather or not to carry on to get stronger, or just give up. But she then begins to realise, however awful, this accident may just be the jolt she needed to find herself, the right guy, and who her real friends are.
Val
What happens when the one role that defines who you are is taken away? This book is a fabulous novel about a teenage girls struggle to define herself after a horrible car crash destroys her future as an athlete and black belt in karate. I love the voice the novel is told in, unlike anything I've ever read. Darkly funny, honest, and enjoyable. Side fact: the book takes place in Australia and I enjoyed that cultural aspect.
Becky
A sad book about a girl that gets in a wreck and her whole life is changed. I liked it.
Amanda Trost
I'm not too into fiction books, but this story is based on the author's real experience as a car accident victim. It chronicles an 17/18 year old's process through grief after a life altering, permanantly disabling accident. It takes place in Austrailia (I think?). The author changes subjects and thoughts abruptly, which I didn't like at first, but it did help to make the character have depth and reality.
Debbie
Anna, athletic and driven, is horribly injured in a tragic accident. As she leaves her old life behind, she is afraid that there is nothing left. She struggles to heal, love, and find out who she really is. A trio of poems that Anna writes using peeling an onion as a metaphor for the aftermath of her accident beautifully illuminates her state of mind as she comes to terms with her new life.

Moving.
TheSaint
Nov 21, 2008 TheSaint rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Two words: In. Tense. Imagine Anna's rage. She's bright, athletic, newly in love...and lying in a hospital bed with a broken neck and a breaking spirit. In Peeling the Onion, by Wendy Orr, Anna Duncan must face the reality that a random, senseless automobile accident will change the way she lives, loves, and perceives her true self.
Victoria
I had mixed feelings about this book.

I enjoyed reading the emotions the protagonist was experiencing, however I felt that there were too much romantic scenes going on. I felt the romance took away some of the essence and reality of the novel.

However the writing was exquisite, characters were well-rounded and I enjoyed it.
  • The Red Shoe
  • By the River
  • Walking Naked
  • Thursday's Child
  • In Lane Three, Alex Archer (Alex Archer, #1)
  • Rocco
  • The Gathering
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • The Fire-Eaters
  • Caperucita en Manhattan
  • I Am Not Esther
  • Heart's Delight
  • Deadly, Unna?
I’m an author, but I could never have started writing books if I hadn’t loved reading them first. Reading isn’t just one of my favourite things to do; it’s one of the most important things in my life. I can’t imagine a world in which I couldn’t read, every day. That’s why I always read to my children every day, just as my parents used to read to me. Stories can be exciting, sad, funny, scary or co...more
More about Wendy Orr...
Nim's Island Nim at Sea The Princess and Her Panther LOST! A Dog Called Bear Mokie and Bik