Start by marking “The Barmy British Empire” as Want to Read:
The Barmy British Empire

The Barmy British Empire (Horrible Histories)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  268 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Barmy British Empire gives you the brutal facts about how Britannia ruled the waves - from infamous antics in India to dreadful deeds down under.
Published 2002 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Barmy British Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barmy British Empire

Siobhan
Sep 08, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it
As a child history was one of my favourite school subjects thus making Horrible Histories the perfect books for me.

Nowadays children have the television series yet I belong to the older group that had the books. Personally, I believe any child who has an interest in history should give these books a go. They’re truly gripping and so many topics are covered.

Honestly, Horrible Histories are well worth a read.
Jessica
Apr 16, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Though I read this because it was pretty much the only book I had to hand, I loved it. I always like Horrible Histories, they're educational, fun, quick reads. The only problem I had was the fact that Native Americans were continually called Indians, it would have been nice if there was a little context given there, that they were once (very incorrectly called Indians) but we now know this is wrong. Am I asking too much???
Hyun Young Jeong
Jul 05, 2015 Hyun Young Jeong rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-reading
The fascinating book "Barmy British Empire" was a great book. The book, like the other books from its series, Horrible History, had facts with horror, and also fun facts. The book explained about the British Empire, the empire that had the most land in the world. The author explained about how the British ruled their colony. I recommend this book to people that want a history book with fun facts.
Kathleen
Again, I really enjoy the Horrible History books; they're a nice overview of certain eras (though this one in particular is a little broad) and give the little horrible anecdotes that make learning history so fun. Dinged it two stars because, again, this one is a little broad in focus, because I spotted one or two inaccuracies, and because Terry Deary recently has seemed more interested in his own profits than in education, and I'm not sure how much of that attitude carried into the books. Still ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
23 - 2015
Mehsi
I love these horrible history books. They are filled with funny/gruesome facts, accompanied by pictures (which are varying between eww and lol). It is a fun way to learn stuff, especially recommended to kids. I am sure even the kids who don't like to learn will love this book, and in the end they will learn something too. :)

Rebecca
Aug 05, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
I needed an overview of history for a refresh on my degree course, but with so much boring reading to do I wanted it to be fun - hence I chose this book. It's probably fine to get kids in to the basics of history, but I found it lacking in any real basis and structure. Not for me, but great for the kids.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Carmen
Nov 17, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A evenly represented account of the atrocities the British implemented against the areas they conquered, and the atrocities that the natives implemented against each other or on the British. As always, the fun facts are entertaining and sometimes horrorifying.
Colin
Apr 14, 2014 Colin rated it liked it
As with all Horrible Histories titles, The Barmy British Empire will amaze and appall children and adults alike. Freaky facts and terrible truths from despicable days gone by. Us Brits weren’t always the good guys!
Nathan R
May 21, 2012 Nathan R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was was a fun one to read and an interesting one. There are some pretty disgusting facts which i never thought could be true. It was short and easy to read but still a good laugh. :P
Mark Louie Parcasio
Apr 04, 2014 Mark Louie Parcasio rated it liked it
Not as entertaining as the other books. Pft.
Arthur Young
Oct 27, 2013 Arthur Young rated it it was amazing
This book tells you a lot about the British empire, it is a great book for learning about fairly recent history. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Emily H
Apr 24, 2016 Emily H rated it liked it
Shelves: history, 2015
Funny and entertaining history of the British empire while also nor glossing over its past
Hannah
Nov 27, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
A fun and entertaining read. A very enjoyable way to learn about this topic.
Lisa
Apr 01, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of this book is that the slave trade so it got a bit boring.
J. D.
Aug 23, 2014 J. D. rated it liked it
Amusing, easy, instructive read.
Sophie
amusing little book (3/5)
William
Full of facts.
Kimi
Kimi added it
Apr 30, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Harish
Harish rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Samuel Rattigan
Samuel Rattigan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jamie Forbes
Jamie Forbes marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Sanna
Sanna marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Eleanor Storey
Eleanor Storey rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2016
  • Mary Queen of Scots and Her Hopeless Husbands
  • Henry the VIII and His Chopping Block
  • Deadly Diseases
  • William Shakespeare and His Dramatic Acts
  • Isaac Newton and His Apple
  • Einstein and His Inflatable Universe
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • My Tudor Queen: The Diary of Eva De Puebla, London, 1501-1513
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
  • Elizabeth
  • Bloody Tower: The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London, 1553-1559
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • Witches, a tale of Scandal, Sorcery and Seduction
  • Suffragette: The Diary of Dollie Baxter, London, 1909-1913
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)