Start by marking “Midnight” as Want to Read:
Midnight

Midnight

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  17,964 ratings  ·  313 reviews
Strange deaths have occurred in picturesque Moonlight Cove, an idyllic northern California coastal town--"the edge of paradise" to some but increasingly the edge of sheer terror fr others. Certain residents harbor a secret so dark it could cost even more lives--in and beyond Moonlight Cove.

Tessa Lockland comes to town to probe her sister's seemingly unprompted suicide. Unu

Published January 19th 1989 by G.P. Putman's Sons (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight, please sign up.

Ashley James I read my first horror novels at around 13 and I can honestly say they done me no harm whatsoever and I read Richard laymon novels at that age which…moreI read my first horror novels at around 13 and I can honestly say they done me no harm whatsoever and I read Richard laymon novels at that age which are regarded as extreme horror I agree with Elaine completely and think you should definitely encourage any form of reading when my son and daughter get to 13 I will happily share some of my favourite horror novels with him theres lots of books which fall into the horror category or are written by horror authors which I very tame and maybe this will deceive him into feeling more grown up and like he is reading a horror book for example fluke although not at all a horror the fact that its wriiten by james Herbert it often appears on horror lists and that's a very very good book (less)

Alejandro
After my happy encounter of the great author Dean Koontz in the novel Phantoms (see my review of that one here.) I knew that I want to read more books by him. My second novel was this one, Midnight. By then, I still wasn't able to read on English yet, so that novel I read on Spanish then. At that moment I didn't know much about which novels to choose from Dean Koontz, also at that time, I depended of which titles were translated and available in the local book stores. Happily, my second choice w ...more
Elli Jo
Jun 23, 2008 Elli Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interestin in suspense & sci-fi
This story grabbed my attention from the first three pages. As I read on, I found that all I wanted to do was keep my nose in the book. I have read a few of Koontz' other books, but none had captured me like this.

When I had gotten about half way through the book, beginning to understand what is going on here, I started thinking about it constantly. The book honestly scared me to the point of nightmares - but I would not put it down.

If you are into suspense, horror, and sci-fi I completely recomm
Greg
The only Dean Koontz book I ever read. I don't remember a thing about this book, but I do remember that reading it turned me off of ever wanting to try another Dean Koontz book.
Mike (the Paladin)
I want to comment on this because I really didn't care for it, but my late wife loved this and some other Koontz books that I don't care for (at least as much). So in honer of her I gave it 3 stars recognizing that there will be people who like some of this writer's books while others don't. I note that many of the ones I don't care for both my wife and daughter like. But, I can't really build on that as my daughter and I liked The Taking, and my wife didn't...sigh. Go figure. All I can suggest ...more
Brett
Review contains spoilers. This novel by Dean Koontz sports a lot of Koontz's usual tropes. Among them are: the good-hearted protagonist that has experienced a loss, the angelic and unrealistically mature child, the unnecessary romance between main characters in the midst of mayhem, the remorseless mad scientist, the cute dog, and the easily predictable horror/sci-fi premise. Reading Koontz is too often like reading a screenplay for a March release Hollywood film--just very little complexity or s ...more
Thomas Strömquist
One of my favorite of Koontz's. Again primarily for the beginning and first part of the story. Here, he again manages to tell a good sci-fi/horror mix without too much focus on tooth-achingly good protagonists and cliched bad guys. This one is very recommended.
Matt Barker
This was another good read from Koontz. Grips you from the beginning and gets stranger and more intriguing from there.

Publisher's Summary

In picturesque Moonlight Cove, California, inexplicable deaths occur, and spine-tingling terror descends to this edge of paradise. Growing numbers of residents harbor a secret so dark it is sure to cost even more lives.

Tessa Lockland comes to town to probe her sister's seemingly unprompted suicide. Independent and clever, she meets up with Sam Booker, an underc
Corey Tardif
This book grabbed my attention right from the beginning! The last really good book by Dean Koontz that I'd read is Watchers, and I loved that one. I just think it's incredible how one author can put so many different emotions into his books, to me, that's a good writer. There are times he's got you on the edge of your seat or biting your nails in horror, and times when he's got you laughing out loud.

I had read a lot of the reviews on Midnight and I see that some people loved it, others not so mu
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This was the February 2011 Group Read in the Koontzland - Dean Koontz Group
My second time reading the book.

A favorite quote:
"Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colors. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in it
Lori
I usually do not care for the science fiction type, but this book was creepy and made me think about what really goes on out in the world. It is like a big brother feeling.

It has been awhile since I read this, but the main character is investigating weird happenings of a town. Meanwhile a little girl escapes her fate. They meet up eventually through this mass of events (so pay attention)and in the end the mystery is solved. It is not real, but it makes you think what about what people will do g
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Weird, weird, weird. Never will forget the part where one of the characters ends up bonding physically to his computer. Ick! My least favorite Koontz. Could be that I chose this to read for my 11th grade English class because my evil teacher wouldn't let me read White Fang by Jack London, which is much better, because he deemed it a children's book. So I picked this edgy, 'adult' book. Yes, I'm a little bitter.
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is one of Dean Koontz's earlier novels and originally written in 1989. I was only 19 when I originally read it, boy, that makes me feel old! I'm reread it on unabridged audio recently. Despite its age it still holds up pretty well as a straight up horror novel where the citizens of a nice little town turn into horrifying blood-lusty creatures all thanks to a power-hungry geeky rich madman. Come to think of it, this is even scarier stuff in this day and age . . .

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot an
Kestaa
I wish I could give this book three-and-a-half stars since it was better than average, but not something I'd go out of my way to recommend. But it's closer to four stars than three, so four it is.

For the most part Midnight is a pretty solid horror story. It was written in 1989, so the technology is almost laughably outdated - at least one of the computers is so high-tech that it can boot up without a floppy disk, other computers are described as being "upper end, hard-disk systems", and several
Maicie
I couldn't get into this book although I loved the 2 or 3 page afterward. I'm in a reading slump so this review is only as accurate as the frame of mind I am in today. Anyway, I think the story would have been better had it been a couple hundred pages shorter.

Lots of action, LOTS of detail, good vs.evil, smart dog, typical Koontz style. Not a bad thing, really.
Annette
I got a bad first impression of this book. Nasty, scary, creepy things attack straight out of the gate before the reader even has a chance to get her feet wet, and as I read Koontz for his plots, characters, and philosophical meanderings rather than his horror I almost decided to put it down. But I was glad I stuck with it in the end because it did contain some interesting insights on the human condition.
Plot-wise this is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde updated and writ large, or perhaps more accuratel
Johnny
J.S. Bailey
This is one of Koontz's better novels--totally creepy, and totally awesome. Plus, the afterword at the end made me giggle.

The reason this novel resonated so strongly with me is because I can identify with the residents of Moonlight Cove who were losing touch with their emotions. There was a time a few years ago when I suffered from extreme depression and anxiety. I was prescribed an antidepressant, and lo and behold, the depression went away!

But so did everything else. I felt no joy. No happines
Jennifer Cooper
This was pretty terrible. I didn't expect it to be a great piece of modern literature- I picked it up expecting something quick, fun, and brainless. Unfortunately, even though my expectations were low, they still weren't met. Meh.

Midnight Cove is a seemingly-idyllic community on the California coast. It's a lovely, close-knit town, which has benefitted financially and technologically from a local tech company. Of course, since this is a Dean Koontz novel, the company's founder is an evil megalom
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Debbie
I remember reading this book when I first got back into reading, I enjoyed it very much, I began getting into the Dean Koontz then took a break, perhaps time to go back now. here is the blurb about the book I took off the website
"The citizens of Moonlight Cove are changing. Some are losing touch with their deepest emotions. Others are surrendering to their wildest urges. And the few who remain unchanged are absolutely terrified—if not brutally murdered in the dead of night. Enter the shocking wo
Ryan Mishap
I devoured Koontz and King back in middle school and part of high school. In retrospect, I could have spent my time on better books, but these chillers were an escape from things I didn't want to think about, especially at night when I couldn't sleep and my mind twisted my perceptions nauseatingly.
I'm not saying you should bother reading these, especially now that Koontz is openly being Christian and Stephen King thinks he is a writer, but I have a fondness for some of these books. If you are
Scott Utecht
Starts off slow, but picked up by the middle. One of Dean Koontzs best
Lee
One of his earlier ones, but of course he'd already been published for almost twenty years, when this came out in '89.
With an FBI agent working undercover, about a rise in strange deaths and the sister of one of the victims, not beleiving her death was a suicide, in the little seaside town of Midnight Cove. Good tension and suspense throughout, one of Koonts' better ones. I tettered on 3.5 stars, but with the creepy/apocalyptic feel of the four strangers that get together, trying to survive unti
Walter Foddis
I will call this book a variation on Koontzian themes. Namely, Koontz has written about similar characters, motivations (e.g., responsibility = good; power-lust = bad), moral conundrums, and scenarios (i.e., isolated town in which the seeds of a new order of humanity are being grown). He also repeated his "love heals" theme, especially in people with disordered psychologies and dysfunctional relational patterns. I remain skeptical that love can be this therapeutic.

In any case, I was reminded mos
Eze
This is my first exposure to Dean Koontz and I have to say it's turned me off to exploring any further. Ridiculous, predictable, boring, and his style is, I would say, arrogant. He picks up words or phrases and uses them to a nauseating level. Would it have killed him to pick up a thesaurus and find something other than "ululant"? With out the chance or desire to count I feel as though he may have used the word 125 times a chapter for how often I recall it coming up. It reminds me of a young tee ...more
Roxana Simonet
This was a pretty typical Dean Koontz book as of today, although I can see how this was such a huge success when it was published- definitely very interesting, albeit disgusting at times. I like that Koontz acknowledges the idea that nobody should play God because nobody is capable of that feat, nor of foreseeing the consequences of those actions.

I really enjoyed Chrissie and Harry and Moose. They were mostly believable and enjoyable. Chrissie was entertaining especially when she was by herself
Kathryn
(I just have to add here that I’m finding it REALLY weird that, on reflection, I’ve read so many books by an author I have little to no respect for. Anyway…)

I have next to no memory about this book, other than it was about a city full of people who are slowly turning into a)human computers or b)monsters. It must have been pretty good, since I’m fairly sure it was the first Koontz book I’d ever read, and there must have been SOMETHING there to get me to try so many more.
Steven Shinder
Though this is the third Dean Koontz book that I have read, it is the earliest written out of the ones that I have read. It has the things that are common in the books of his that I have read thus far: dogs, a girl who loses her parents, a mad man with a god complex, and the formation of a family. This story is essentially a mix between The Invasion of the Body Snatchers and H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau, and Koontz makes sure that these influences are mentioned by characters throughout t ...more
Karen
This book combines some of the elements of Koontz's Frankenstein series with some things in the Moonlight Bay series. In fact, this one is set in "moonlight Cove." I believe this one was written before either of the series, so perhaps DK used the basic elements of this and then went further in developing those. Anyway, it's a good story, includes the requisite dog and child. Somewhat predictable ending but still compelling to read.
Danielle Priser
Finally read a Dean Koontz. As a long-time fan of such authors as Stephen King and Anne Rice, I was not so sure about someone whose books seem to be regularly made into any type of film- until I saw Odd Thomas. It just so happened that I noticed "Midnight" in the bargain section of my favorite used bookstore and since I was looking for something different to read....I decided I could afford a paltry $1.25 to purchase the copy.
I practically ate this book.
Well, at least after the first 75 pages or
  • Shattered
  • Hell's Gate
  • The Door to December
  • Children of the Storm
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • The Unwanted

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colors. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in its realm, life seemed to have more possibilities.” 168 likes
“In this world only the paranoid survive.” 77 likes