Start by marking “The Terrible Tudors ” as Want to Read:
The Terrible Tudors

The Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,376 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Hippo / Scholastic Edition.
Published June 18th 1993 by Scholastic Hippo

To ask other readers questions about The Terrible Tudors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terrible Tudors

The Giver by Lois LowryThe Fires of Heaven by Robert JordanThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxTrainspotting by Irvine WelshStaying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher
Best Books of 1993
131st out of 159 books — 65 voters
Raven's Gate by Anthony HorowitzHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingNecropolis by Anthony HorowitzNightrise by Anthony HorowitzArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Fantasic action-horror
34th out of 52 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Jasmine
The fact that there is a severed head on the front gives it an automatic five stars. The content is just a bonus.
Shilpa
It is part of the Horrible Histories series by Terry Deary and I have to say it’s just as enlightening and humorous in it’s gory and unique way as are the rest of them. It is a book of non-fiction filled with intriguing facts, questions, drawings, and fun quizzes, all to help enhance the learning experience and to really teleport you to the world of the Tudors.

I think it paints a wonderful picture of what life was like back then and really keeps a firm hold of the reader’s attention with the us
Alannah Clarke
A fun and engaging way for children to start learning about the Tudors, from Henry VI's reign all the way to his granddaughter Elizabeth's I. It doesn't really sound that impressive when you put it that way but this little book is packed full of facts guaranteed to make any child interested.

From clothing to schooling to witchcraft, Deary covers it all without going into too much detail to bore the young readers while making them feel like they are learning while enjoying it. And I have to say, i
Alistair Miller
This is a great book for children in KS2 to start learning about the Tudors. I would have this for higher KS2, years 5 or 6. The text is informative but also extremely fun, with some great cartoons as well to add to the points being made in the text.

As the title suggests, this book covers the period of history when Tudor monarchs ruled the country. The information is livened up by discussing not just what they did as monarchs, but also their personalities. Interesting stories revealing their per
Knowing my love of Tudor history my husband came home one day with this book for me. I was very excited as I had watched several Horrible Histories clips that had been done from the TV show about the Terrible Tudors. They always made me laugh and I was quite excited to learn more interesting facts.

This book is defiantly aimed at children/teenagers but that doesn’t mean as a grown adult you can’t read it and have a good chuckle. There is lots of interesting information contained within the book
sabisteb
King Henry was fat as a boar
He had six wives and still wanted more.
Anne and Kate said,
"By heck! He's a pain in the neck!"
As their heads landed smack on the floor.

Die "Horrible Histories" sind eine erfolgreiche englische Buchreihe illustrierter, lustiger Geschichtsbücher. Konzipiert ist sie für englische Schulkinder, um ihnen (die) Geschichte schmackhaft zu machen. Die Reihe wurde mittlerweile in 31 Sprachen übersetzt und einige wenige Bände sind auch auf Deutsch erhältlich. Einige Bücher wurden
Smaragda
I haven't read a book in a day for a long time... I just couldn't put this down.
I always hated History, but this is how it should be taught! It was easy to read and taught me all kinds of stuff. It made me wonder why teaching History to kids is acceptable, though. In any case, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, and especially people who don't know anything about the Tudors (since I was one yesterday, I have no idea if this would still be interesting if I knew things already.)

There
Tomas
This was a very Informative, funny and gruesome book full of priceless puns, fantastic facts and impressive information about the tudors which I am very interested in. this book made me gasp, laugh and it knocked my socks off reading this awesome bundle of words. This book is one of the best in the Horrible Histories series and I would definitely recommend it to anyone of all ages.
Nayhara Sepulcri
Foul facts, horrendous beheadings, a mysterious murder, some curious quizzes and gruesome games are part of the formula that makes 'The terrible Tudors' so attractive to young learners. Its bold and accessible language, as well as the extra-horrible bits, make the book a success.

T. Deary's book is a fun and engaging way of sharing facts about Tudor times, such as life expectancy, health care and sanitisation. His style is humorous and it is a great resource when teaching about the Tudors. Child
James
This book is really good for people who aren't afraid of a bit of horror. The book contains many true and entertaining stories of Tudor times and beliefs and ways of dealing with their beliefs. It also contains stories to do with witches, superstitions from their time, conspiracies about Shakespeare and a mystery murder.

If you are afraid of stories about being stabbed in the head or being decapitated, this isn't for you. But if you like interesting stories and conspiracies about the past, this b
Socialbookshelves.com
Terry Deary is back again, giving you all of the grizzly, gruesome details that schoolteachers fail to mention. That said, you shouldn't be scared of giving this to a kid - it won't give them nightmares, but it will make them want to learn more, and that's all that really matters.

This time, Deary's work is illustrated by Neil Tonge rather than Martin Brown, but it still maintains the same feel and the same style that you'll be used to if you've read other books in the series. The Terrible Tudors
Suraia
A witty and funny read: find some foul facts, some horrendous beheadings, a mysterious murder, some curious quizzes and gruesome games. I found these Horrible Histories books a great way to get my nieces and specially my nephews reading. A brilliant way to learn about history and I have seen this used in the class room as a way to teach about the Tudors. The children loved it specially as they got to create their own fun fact show using the format of the TV show Horrible Histories. I enjoyed rea ...more
Keely
My love for this series will never end, it was one of the series that really made my love for reading expand. And 18 years later, these books still make me smile. Though there is an incorrect fact in the book though; Anne Boleyn did not have six fingers on her left hand, if she did, do you really think such a materialistic and shallow person as Henry would have chased her for so long?
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children/Teens into History
Recommended to Leah by: I subscribed after watching the TV advert
I subscribed to the series after watching an advert online, and read them as soon as they arrived, and couldn't wait for the next one to come out! They give such great facts about each time period and even on periods I knew about, the magazines contained information I had never heard before.

I did like this magazine, especially the illustrations and the facts on the six wives was great. I also like the comic strip at the front explaning how Henry VIII cam around.

I just didn't enjoy it as much as
Hannah Hudson
Tells history in a very gory way. :) :) 8/10 Very good and full of info. xoxo

It really is history with all the nasty bits left in. Very informative and creative. Great Horrible History and I would read more in the series. :)

Smoochies!
Serena
I'd probably give it more stars if I was used to reading kids history books.....The attitude is fun though, with activities and alternate examples of how to look at an interesting time.
Ibran Khan
If you havn't a clue who the tudors were, then take my word for it theres no better way of learning about them than this book. Together with gruesome detail and lots of humour, I read my way through this book to learn the beginning of the Tudor Era starting from Henry 7th victory at the battle of bosworth to Henry 8th, Edward and the infamous 'Bloody Mary'. Really vile details on executions I remember including Bloody Mary's persecution and massacre of protestants throughout the country.
Although
Izzy Vincenti
A very funny book in which you learn a lot of (unexpected) things about The Tudors. A fun way to learn about history, for sure :)
James Koppert
had so much fun reading this. saw it for two pounds in a bookshop so had a go after watching The Tudors.
Flávia Spencer
I'm really really glad that I didn't live during Tudors reign.
Oliver Hodson
Pun tastic history
Kathy
Really enjoyed this book. Feel so much smarter now.
Teresa Torres
It includes recipes and activities!
Carmen
Now if only history had been this interesting when I was in school! Although I knew most of this information already, I had to chuckle when I read the descriptions given by different ambassadors of Queen Elizabeth I. It really involves the readers when they have all these interactive things, such as : lists of punishments and crimes and you have to match them up. Almost none of them would be considered a crime nowadays. Imagine not wearing a woolen hat? Oh my!

Redfox5
This was abit all over the place, could be hard to follow for those new to Tudor History. As a child I didn't need the Tudors broken down into the most horrible bits to find them interesting. They were my fave hisoty subject at school and still are today. I did rubbish on the quiz though! Got 5/8 on the first bit, 1/10 on Insults (eek!), 9/15 on Mean Queens and 4/10 on Would you Belive It. Back to history class for me! Saving this for when Adelaide is older.
Angela Joyce
I laughed so hard at this! My one complaint is that it kept saying Henry VIII "divorced" Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves. He never got a divorce in his life. Divorce was not permitted. He found complicated reasons to ANNUL those marriages, as well as those to Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard before he had them murdered. Other than that, this book was a real crackup and great for kids with a darker sense of humor.
Rjgolden
The Terrible Tudors is a fun and informational book about the Tudors in Great Britain. As shown by the front cover the humor and language is geared towards an upper elementary or middle school grade. Students would find this information interesting if they are studying about European history, or just want to expand their knowledge about other countries' pasts. I liked to read these when I was younger.
VBergen
Funny way to present History. A couple of my favorite phrases:
- "The Elizabethan ladies' fashion was for tiny waists. To help them squeeze into smart dresses, the ladies (and even the girls) wore iron corsets".
- "King James I wrote that smoking was 'a custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain and dangerous to the loungs'".
Tyler
Oct 04, 2007 Tyler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want a laugh!
I liked this book because it tells you the ways they lived in the tudor ages of Britain and also all the gory info on how they executed people and all the horrible things they did like dump their human waste in the streets and the ways they tortured people. But the author add in lots of little comics that are pretty funny!
Nayantara
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Evolve Or Die (Horrible Science)
  • Bloody Tower: The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London, 1553-1559
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • Isaac Newton and His Apple
  • Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
  • Mill Girl: The Diary of Eliza Helsted, Manchester, 1842-1843
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
  • The Vile Victorians
The Groovy Greeks The Rotten Romans The Awesome Egyptians The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories) The Measly Middle Ages