Start by marking “The Awesome Egyptians” as Want to Read:
The Awesome Egyptians

The Awesome Egyptians (Horrible Histories)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,648 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Horrible Histories - history with the nasty bits left in! The Awesome Egyptians gives you some awful information about phabulous Pharoahs and poverty-stricken peasants - who lived an awesome 5,000 years ago! Want to know: Which king had the worst blackheads? Why some kings had to wear false beards? Why the peasants were revolting? Read on to find some foul facts about deat ...more
Published 1994 by Scholastic ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Awesome Egyptians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awesome Egyptians

Megan Cullen
AWESOMESAUCE!

I read this as a young teen. I think it was the first of the series to be written. I loved it. I loved ancient Egypt and that was both funny and informative which kept me turning the pages.

There is some gross stuff in it, but that's kinda the point. I hate gross stuff, but I still read this book over again now and then cuz it's awesomeness makes up for its grossness.

And it's the best of the series that I've read so far.
Elise
How many of us read the Horrible Histories as children and claimed to know everything about the world? I know I did! I would read the books and the proudly tell anyone that would listen that I knew facts about the world that they couldn't possibly know. I love these books. The Awesome Egyptians was always my favourite because I love Egypts history and this is the book that started it all for me.
Rachel
If you're not a fan of reading history books intended for adults, then the Horrible Histories series is the perfect way to learn. It has a great sense of humor and keeps history entertaining. I discovered this series at the British Museum in London and have been addicted ever since!
Chrissy
Sue me for getting on my nostalgia glasses here, but this book was a life changing one.
I last read it when I was about seven, and it was one of the first books I ever read for myself (I had a VERY difficult time learning to read), and at the time I wasn't really sold on reading (partly because I had such a hard time with it), but I was pretty into Egypt so I bought this little number out of a Scholastic catalogue.
It took me awhile, but I laughed my way through it, and came out wanting more.

This
Anton
This book was interesting, it was quite funny and as usual taught me alot! Sometime's it wasn't very interesting when it was recipes or some tale about peasants, but the book was still quite enjoyable :)
Hannah
A fun and entertaining read. A very enjoyable way to learn about this topic.
VVivacious
1) Ramesses II had the worst blackheads (we know this because mummification resulted in some very well preserved bodies).
2) It was believed that Pharaohs were always men. Sometimes a women would be the most powerful person in the empire and she would become the Pharaoh but she would still be considered a man. So the woman would wear a false beard to keep up appearances.
3) Peasants were revolting well because being a peasant in 3000-2000 BC was bloody hard work.

All this and more in the Horrible H
Cassandra
Wie war das Leben zwischen Mumien, Pyramiden und Pharaonen?
Dieses Sachbuch für junge Ägypten Fans ist ein großer Spaß und wird leicht alle wissbegierigen Kinder begeistern können.
Kindgerecht, spannend, interessant und unterhaltsam, bietet dieses Buch Einblicke in das alte Ägypten. Die Autoren verstehen ihr Fach und vermitteln Wissen durch Anekdoten und mit amüsanten Schreibstil. Hier wird Faszination geweckt und die Texte sind weit entfernt vom trockenen Schulstoff.
Veranschaulicht wird das Wi
Isaac  Mcnickle
I read this book because I am not a history fanatic but think horrible histories are a great twist to history.

This fills the 'another time in history' category
This is not my favorite category but horrible histories books make it so much better for me

My favorite quote from the books is 'Most important sight in Egypt is the pyramids' because it sort of shows how Egypt revolves around Egypt which makes the pyramids more godly.

Something new I learnt from this book is that the egytians thought the p
Mel Foster
My boys ages 9 to 11 enjoyed this book. It is not the kind of book that you can easily read through together--a lot of lists and activities. I could see some of these being fun for middle school history classes doing a unit on Egypt. My 9 year old can't wait to get a hold of The Rotten Romans. My oldest didn't like the fact that it was thematic not chronological.
Avery Danielson
This book sounds like it does not clean up history, so to speak, giving the reader a more accurate account of what daily life was like!
Angela
I do love the Horrible Histories series. I particularly love that I can read one of them whilst in the bath.
Flávia Spencer
The egyptian women were the only independent ones in the ancient world.
Awesome, humorous way to bring history to life
Keely
This is one of my favourites.
Mo
I rather like the 'Horrible Histories' series. While I don't find them all *that* funny, they do give some nice information and they're fun to read about subjects you don't know too much about. This one is about Egypt, or rather, about some things to do with Egypt: pyramids, mummies and pharaohs, mainly. Of course a short book such as this can only give very limited information, but it's still nice to read.
Lady Knight
Terry Deary has done it again! His "Horrible Histories" series is a real treat and really appeals to the eight through fourteen year old set. This volume in particular takes a look at Ancient Egypt and revels in all the gory (and not so gory) details of daily life, mummies, pharaohs, pyramids and anything and everything Egyptian. The short sections and comic illustrations are highly appealing. Great work!
Marsha
I read and finished this in one day. It was OK but not great by comparison to other books I've read about ancient Egypt. If I found this in book sale for a dime, it would be worth buying just to have on the shelf at school. Otherwise I think there are better books that do the same thing...all the "You Wouldn't Want to Be....." or the DK Eyewitness books for example.
Caroline
Aaah, sweet sweet nostalgia.
While this wasn't the first Horrible Histories book I read, it was one of my earlier additions to my (rather extensive) collection.

The series is all together very good and was definately the source of my passion for History today. The books are funny and still entertain me now years after.
Nayantara
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Catherine Woodman
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Jessica
Horrible Histories for the win! There's no better history book than these. This one in particular inspired an epic eighth grade social studies project on the Egyptians, complete with a dance routine to - you guessed it - "Walk Like an Egyptian."
Dawn
We have read a few Horrible Histories and have listened to some on audio book, but I don't really like the language they are written in or the way they focus on the gore, but they do contain some interesting information.
Tomas
It was an interesting and awesome book all about ancient egypt full of pharaohs and pyramids, mummies and myths, treasure and terror and much more! (It was strange how it didn't mention the Sphinx at all though).
LauraW
This book is good to add to the mix of books available for teaching about Ancient Egypt. It pulls in some kids who might otherwise not care to read much, but it has relevant information, too.
Carmen
Learned a few details from this book. I did not know that people used to make paper out of the bandages that had wrapped around mummies, or that there were over 90 pyramids in Egypt.
Hazel
OMG! I loved these books! I had all of them from scholastic book orders when I was younger. They are a perfect way to get kids to learn some history. Fun and informative at the same time!
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
  • Murderous Maths (Murderous Maths, #1)
  • Evolve Or Die (Horrible Science)
  • Al Capone and His Gang
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
  • William Shakespeare and His Dramatic Acts
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
  • The Vile Victorians
The Groovy Greeks The Rotten Romans The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories) The Terrible Tudors The Measly Middle Ages