Start by marking “The Awesome Egyptians” as Want to Read:
The Awesome Egyptians

The Awesome Egyptians (Horrible Histories)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,066 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Horrible Histories - history with the nasty bits left in! The Awesome Egyptians gives you some awful information about phabulous Pharoahs and poverty-stricken peasants - who lived an awesome 5,000 years ago! Want to know: Which king had the worst blackheads? Why some kings had to wear false beards? Why the peasants were revolting? Read on to find some foul facts about deat ...more
Published 1994 by Scholastic ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Awesome Egyptians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awesome Egyptians

Laleh
Jan 21, 2016 Laleh rated it really liked it
These books were all the rage when I was in primary school, although somehow I never got round to reading them. I did read a lot about Egypt though, and having lived there for a few months, I consider myself quite knowledgeable about the country:))

This book is great. It's fun, it's detailed and it really does teach a lot.
I wish school books were as interesting as these are.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Elise
Jul 21, 2011 Elise rated it it was amazing
How many of us read the Horrible Histories as children and claimed to know everything about the world? I know I did! I would read the books and the proudly tell anyone that would listen that I knew facts about the world that they couldn't possibly know. I love these books. The Awesome Egyptians was always my favourite because I love Egypts history and this is the book that started it all for me.
Kathleen
Oct 12, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Okay let's talk about the Horrible Histories.

You may be aware of them as a TV show, which I highly, highly recommend, but you may not be aware that they are also books! Which I also recommend!

It's hard to talk about the Horrible Histories specifically. They're hysterical short nonfiction books consisting of maybe 120 pages tops? Aimed at children, they set out to tell you all about the really nasty side of history, which I am always down for. They're smart and funny with great illustrations, and
Megan Davis
Apr 23, 2010 Megan Davis rated it really liked it
AWESOMESAUCE!

I read this as a young teen. I think it was the first of the series to be written. I loved it. I loved ancient Egypt and that was both funny and informative which kept me turning the pages.

There is some gross stuff in it, but that's kinda the point. I hate gross stuff, but I still read this book over again now and then cuz it's awesomeness makes up for its grossness.

And it's the best of the series that I've read so far.
Rachel
Jul 29, 2007 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult, history
If you're not a fan of reading history books intended for adults, then the Horrible Histories series is the perfect way to learn. It has a great sense of humor and keeps history entertaining. I discovered this series at the British Museum in London and have been addicted ever since!
Anton
Mar 16, 2013 Anton rated it liked it
This book was interesting, it was quite funny and as usual taught me alot! Sometime's it wasn't very interesting when it was recipes or some tale about peasants, but the book was still quite enjoyable :)
Jack
Sep 13, 2016 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous non-fiction book about the awesome (and evil) Egyptians. I learned so much from this book and probably know the most about the ancient Egyptians in my grade because of reading this book.
Hannah
Sep 17, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
A fun and entertaining read. A very enjoyable way to learn about this topic.
Victoria Zigler
Feb 17, 2017 Victoria Zigler rated it really liked it
Another interesting - and often gory - look at history, which will appeal to any young history lover who has the stomach for it. A great addition to the series, though a difficult one to fully appreciate if you're using text to speach to read the book, since some of the details are lost among images.
Anastasia
Mar 20, 2017 Anastasia rated it really liked it

Horrible histories Awful Egyptians was written in 2006 by Terry Deary. As the name says the novel is about ancient Egyptians. It shows various different sides of Egyptian life such as food, medicine and religion. Many of which contain interesting and uncommon facts. The book is a fun and factual take on history as jokes and narrating characters created to give a comical feel. They are the perfect way to engage young minds with history and they do a terrific job of creating a real sense of connec
Catherine Furfaro
Awesome Egyptians was the first Horrible Histories book I read (and that I still own the exact same copy today), and it was this book that made me fall in love with the Ancient Egyptians.
The way it’s written draws you in no matter what age you are. So I can say I enjoyed this at a young age and now at an older age.

I found this more gruesome than Savage Stone Age. Not because of what the Ancient Egyptians did, even though some of the things they did is pretty gross, but what people did thousands
Cassandra
Wie war das Leben zwischen Mumien, Pyramiden und Pharaonen?
Dieses Sachbuch für junge Ägypten Fans ist ein großer Spaß und wird leicht alle wissbegierigen Kinder begeistern können.
Kindgerecht, spannend, interessant und unterhaltsam, bietet dieses Buch Einblicke in das alte Ägypten. Die Autoren verstehen ihr Fach und vermitteln Wissen durch Anekdoten und mit amüsanten Schreibstil. Hier wird Faszination geweckt und die Texte sind weit entfernt vom trockenen Schulstoff.
Veranschaulicht wird das Wi
Mohammed Rasheen
Dec 17, 2016 Mohammed Rasheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
like the rest from horrible history series,. really funny n informative.
Isaac  Mcnickle
I read this book because I am not a history fanatic but think horrible histories are a great twist to history.

This fills the 'another time in history' category
This is not my favorite category but horrible histories books make it so much better for me

My favorite quote from the books is 'Most important sight in Egypt is the pyramids' because it sort of shows how Egypt revolves around Egypt which makes the pyramids more godly.

Something new I learnt from this book is that the egytians thought the p
Chrissy
May 19, 2015 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Sue me for getting on my nostalgia glasses here, but this book was a life changing one.
I last read it when I was about seven, and it was one of the first books I ever read for myself (I had a VERY difficult time learning to read), and at the time I wasn't really sold on reading (partly because I had such a hard time with it), but I was pretty into Egypt so I bought this little number out of a Scholastic catalogue.
It took me awhile, but I laughed my way through it, and came out wanting more.

This
Joseph Leskey
Sep 29, 2016 Joseph Leskey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Like nearly all Horrible Histories books, this was a good one. It includes incredibly gruesome and engrossing historical facts which are just lovely to read, but nothing much (if anything at all) in the way of other possibly objectionable content.

___________________

Please Note: I accidentally neglected to review some Horrible Histories books until February 2, 2017 and Horrible Histories are best reviewed the selfsame hour a person finishes the reading of them. Therefore, I have written the above
Nik
Mar 15, 2016 Nik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is wrote bye Terry Deary and this book caught my attention because i was searching for history books in my book collection and found this book and the cover looked book same with the blurb.

It tells about how the pyramids were build (the guess) and it tells it in a funny way.It also tells the pyramid cures how famouse people walked in and they died or something bad happened to them in a matter of months.It tells about their beliefs,how they mumified people,etc.

I would recomed the book i
VVivacious
1) Ramesses II had the worst blackheads (we know this because mummification resulted in some very well preserved bodies).
2) It was believed that Pharaohs were always men. Sometimes a women would be the most powerful person in the empire and she would become the Pharaoh but she would still be considered a man. So the woman would wear a false beard to keep up appearances.
3) Peasants were revolting well because being a peasant in 3000-2000 BC was bloody hard work.

All this and more in the Horrible H
Mo
May 09, 2008 Mo rated it liked it
I rather like the 'Horrible Histories' series. While I don't find them all *that* funny, they do give some nice information and they're fun to read about subjects you don't know too much about. This one is about Egypt, or rather, about some things to do with Egypt: pyramids, mummies and pharaohs, mainly. Of course a short book such as this can only give very limited information, but it's still nice to read.
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 Lady Knight rated it it was amazing
Terry Deary has done it again! His "Horrible Histories" series is a real treat and really appeals to the eight through fourteen year old set. This volume in particular takes a look at Ancient Egypt and revels in all the gory (and not so gory) details of daily life, mummies, pharaohs, pyramids and anything and everything Egyptian. The short sections and comic illustrations are highly appealing. Great work!
Andrew Park
If you absolutely despise history, this is the book for you! Made in the UK for kids who hate history, this book is filled with hard quizzes, interesting facts, and jokes that are actually funny! The quizzes are so hard, even Mrs. Jones probably couldn't get most of the problems right! Fun experiments to do in your spare times, and vocabulary words from the times are present. After reading the book, history easily becomes one of your favorite subjects. Read this NOW!
Dayan Cruz
Oct 12, 2015 Dayan Cruz rated it really liked it
It was pretty good book. The thing that I was a little weird was how sometimes you couldn't tell if they were joking or if they were saying the real thing. This book gave me a lot of emotion, especially being fascinated. Though the real reason that I read this book was to get a better understanding of Ancient Egypt. I also like how the author made it fun to learn new things about Egypt. I recommend this book for everybody because I think everyone should try to read this book.
Mel Foster
Dec 17, 2014 Mel Foster rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, history
My boys ages 9 to 11 enjoyed this book. It is not the kind of book that you can easily read through together--a lot of lists and activities. I could see some of these being fun for middle school history classes doing a unit on Egypt. My 9 year old can't wait to get a hold of The Rotten Romans. My oldest didn't like the fact that it was thematic not chronological.
Caroline
Apr 27, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Aaah, sweet sweet nostalgia.
While this wasn't the first Horrible Histories book I read, it was one of my earlier additions to my (rather extensive) collection.

The series is all together very good and was definately the source of my passion for History today. The books are funny and still entertain me now years after.
Marsha
Dec 27, 2010 Marsha rated it liked it
I read and finished this in one day. It was OK but not great by comparison to other books I've read about ancient Egypt. If I found this in book sale for a dime, it would be worth buying just to have on the shelf at school. Otherwise I think there are better books that do the same thing...all the "You Wouldn't Want to Be....." or the DK Eyewitness books for example.
Carmine
Sep 14, 2016 Carmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unire l'utile al dilettevole

Divertente e gradevolissimo l'approccio ironico e dissacrante che i due autori impongono alla trattazione sull'Egitto.
Non si può certo considerare una lettura esaustiva sull'argomento, ma le buone intenzioni del libricino si meritano appieno le lodi su questo social.
Mao Mao
Jan 07, 2016 Mao Mao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The part I like most is the part of the alphabet. It says that in Egypt, A equals vulture, B equals leg. . . . . . Then the book asks me what is "owl-reed-reed water-reed-loaf-cloth vulture-mouth reed-loaf-rope-reed-reed" is. I worked out that it is:"my nits ar itchy". It means "my nits are itchy". Another one is "pyramids ar big". There's no picture for e, c, and h.
Bistra Stoimenova
Jan 25, 2017 Bistra Stoimenova rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was the first book of the series I've ever read. The paradox is that it wasn't even meant for me - my mother bought it as a present for the children of some friends. I just fell in love with the funny style of Terry Deary and I admit that when I'm writing, I very often use it. Thank you for this wonderful book!
Tomas
Sep 17, 2013 Tomas rated it really liked it
It was an interesting and awesome book all about ancient egypt full of pharaohs and pyramids, mummies and myths, treasure and terror and much more! (It was strange how it didn't mention the Sphinx at all though).
Dawn
Apr 17, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok
We have read a few Horrible Histories and have listened to some on audio book, but I don't really like the language they are written in or the way they focus on the gore, but they do contain some interesting information.
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • The Gobsmacking Galaxy (The Knowledge)
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Henry the VIII and His Chopping Block
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
  • The Vile Victorians