Start by marking “Frozen Fire” as Want to Read:
Frozen Fire

Frozen Fire

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,005 Ratings  ·  437 Reviews
It starts with the phone call, late at night. The mysterious boy says he is dying. Dusty doesn't want to get involved - but the boy seems to have a link to the one person who's most important to her. Soon she has been drawn in - and now she has to deal with the other people who are looking for the boy - the violent man and his two sons, and the police too . . .

Yet througho
Published May 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Frozen Fire, please sign up.

Haejin An I found it beautiful. It's not very well known, but I loved it. Perhaps it can be boring for some people, but I'd say it's worth it

Jen
Dec 15, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
I learned by reading this book that "psychological thriller" means "a book where nothing happens". There are pages and pages and pages where the only action is the main character walking down a snowy lane. The text is all vague imagery of light and snow and heat and cold and endless obsessions over the character's missing brother. There is certainly some suspense - enough to keep me going up to the bitter end, even, but by then I was skimming and speed reading just to see if the story improved b ...more
Suzanne
Feb 05, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
The first page sucked me right in. Dusty, sitting alone in her house, far from any neighbors, receives a phone call from a mysterious boy who has just overdosed on pills and wants to hear a comforting voice as he slips into death. As they talk, the boy lets slip details that convince Dusty he knows what happened to her brother, Josh, who disappeared two years ago. In a panic, Dusty races out into a snow storm to find the boy and a clue to finding Josh.

Bowler creates a taut, atmospheric thriller
Aaron Vincent
Originally posted here.

“I’m dying,” said the voice.

This first sentence of Tim Bowler’s Frozen Fire will, right away, suck the reader in. It’s sets the ethereal and creepy atmosphere the book possess from start to end.

It was the beginning of the mysterious phone call Dusty received at the night of the New Year. The caller, a boy, seems to know more than what he confess — information about his missing brother or to be more accurate, information only his missing brother knows. So Dusty, although sc
Beverly
Emily
' "I'm dying," said the voice. Dusty clutched the phone. She had no idea who this was.'

Well, with a hook like that who wouldn't want to keep reading? I certainly did, so much so that I bought the book...and now I wish I could give it back.

The main premise is a very intriguing one. A teenaged girl named Dusty recieves a midnight phone call from a strange boy who seems to know intimate details about her, most importantly the fact that her brother disappeared two years ago.

The setting of rural Eng
Lisa Willem
May 05, 2016 Lisa Willem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Alright, here goes nothing.

"I'm dying," a voice tells Dusty. Who is he and how has he gotten her cell number? Dusty wants no part of this strange boy . . . until he begins saying things that only someone who knows her intimately could say things that lead her to think he knows the whereabouts of her brother, who disappeared over a year ago.

What you should do:

1. Don't tell him your real name.
2. Don't admit that he has information you want.
3. Don't go outside looking for him.
4. Call the police pro
Jade
Jun 16, 2012 Jade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frozen Fire held just enough mystery that I wanted to read more and just a little scary that I was hesitant to. In a sense, I would call it a psych thriller and you have to be wary of these. Because sometimes they aren't good. They can be full of pages upon pages of words and still say nothing of value. Because psychs can babble if they're not good. But I felt like this one, IMO, did just enough right to keep me reading so that I could find out if Dusty would save the boy on the other end of pho ...more
Monica
Jan 28, 2016 Monica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pherhaps-read
Pese a las criticas irregulares (sin un final definido, sin solucionar ni dar información respecto a ciertos hechos sustanciales, de y para, la trama..), quería leerlo; SON DE AQUELLAS NOVELAS QUE DESPIERTAN UNA CURIOSIDAD ENGAÑOSA POR PARTE DEL FUTURO LECTOR. Y CUAL FUE MI DECEPCIÓN, POR QUÉ SIN TENER UNAS GRANDES EXPECTATIVAS, ME DEFRAUDÓ MÁS DE LO PENSADO.
Y ES QUE ‘ÚLTIMA LLAMADA’, PARTIENDO DE UN INICIO Y TRAMA SEMI INTERESANTE, SE VA DESINFLANDO POR MOMENTOS, HASTA LLEGAR AL MÁS ABSOLUTO D
Heather
Aug 01, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rejects
Impulse buy gone bad. I was intrigued to see what a Carnegie Medal winner could do with a psychological thriller geared for a YA audience. Sadly, not much.

The story dragged . . . and dragged . . . and dragged. Besides a few redundant chase scenes through the woods (I kept asking myself, haven't I read this part already? Without my Curious George bookmark, I'd have been desperately lost), and lots of agonizing internal debate on the part of the protagonist Dusty, not much happened. And yet, despi
Mel (who is deeply in love with herself)
This book was great. i was hooked in the moment i read the first line, which i always do when searching for new books.
"I'm dying," said the voice.
i mean, how can anyone not be intrigued by that stonker of a first line?
the rest of the book was thought-provoking, and i found myself spellbound in the troubled world of Dusty, Josh, and the Boy, who was a fascination all by himself.
Tim Bowler was great at describing the world encircling Dusty and her friends, and i have never read snow being describ
Ciara T
Jan 15, 2013 Ciara T rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the novel Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler, Dusty is a fifteen-year-old girl living in the United Kingdom. Living with her overprotective dad, Dusty learns to stand up for herself and to not take anything from anyone. She learned all of this when her older brother, Josh, walked out two years earlier, and her “mum” had a nervous breakdown and walked out six months after. This book is a great read, and it has action, mystery, and a teenager’s struggle to stay sane.

What I liked most about this book, wa
Megan Houston
I found this a really intruiging book. From the very first line of "I'm dying," it sucked you in. I liked that it was a kind of double mystery plot. There was the mysterious boy who somehow knew the protaganist, Dusty's phone number, as well as her thoughts, but there was also her missing brother Josh. As the mystery around this strange boy deepens, the plot of her brother's disappearence slowly begins to deepen to. It is definitely a book where things have to get a lot more complicated before t ...more
Raychellemairee
Feb 21, 2010 Raychellemairee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
earthy
Dec 14, 2009 earthy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, ya
A clever premise that never really gets off the ground. Alone at home one night, Dusty gets a call from a boy she doesn't know who tells her he's dying and seems to know a lot about her. Rumors and sightings of the boy cause mass hysteria over town, as everyone seems to think he's a rapist who escaped from a few towns over. Dusty, however, thinks the boy knows something about her brother Josh, who disappeared two years ago.

I wanted to like this one, but I just couldn't get myself to care about t
Kayla
I picked this book up on a whim because the cover was gorgeous and intriguing and the summary had me hooked. Just as it says, so the story begins, and Dusty starts speaking to a strange boy who seems to know too much about her and claims he thought of a random phone number and it happened to connect him to her. This boy is definitely the heart and most interesting part of the story. At times the writing and plot grew bland while I waited for more news of him to surface. Oftentimes instead of the ...more
Ash
Feb 14, 2009 Ash marked it as attmepted-to-read  ·  review of another edition
I admit that from the very start this book gets you hooked. I don't think that I've ever read a book that literally caught me from the first line. After a certain point though, all the mystery and secrecy just gets more confusing. Not to mention that not much information is given to you in the first place. I don't know how many scene descriptions of snow and fog and cold I had to read before something actually happened. I couldn't take it anymore. I was getting this horrible feeling that things ...more
Lizzette
DemonKitty003
Oct 07, 2008 DemonKitty003 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so loved this book!!! If you haven't read it you should add it to your shelf. This is the most awesomeness book with a mystery that must be lived with. To bad no one will ever know who the ghostly boy is who can do all these amazing stuff. But atleast Dusty's family knows what happened to her brother, Josh, at the end. Sad though but good ending never, saw it coming. I am just happy that everything has been cleared up, even though Dusty is living with a mystery that will never be solved....or ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Nope. This book was lacking on so many levels.
I really want the time back in which I was hoping somethingsomething would happen.
Allie
Jul 08, 2008 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allie by: myself
This book started out like Wolf Rider. A kid gets a call and someone totally unknown is at the end, threatening lives, whether it be someone or themselves. It appeared very interesting to me, until the boy on the other end could do a whole bunch of unexplainable stuff. Then there's this Josh kid who disappeared a long time ago and the main character goes looking for him since the boy on the other end can feel Josh. I didn't even understand the end. These two plots just didn't mix.
Colin
This book was really creepy for the first three-quarters, and i thought the author did a really good job of maintaining suspense and keeping me engaged--until the last quarter, when the book just *dragged*, became repetitive, the protaganist's motivation was confusing, and the central conflict of the novel seemed completely overworked. I'm still not quite sure what happened in the end. Two point five stars for the convoluted ending.
Karen Douglas
Feb 21, 2016 Karen Douglas rated it liked it
I nearly didn't bother with reading this book having read some rather negative reviews, however I am glad that I did.
It is very much a teenage read as opposed to a young adult read and I am the other side of 40, but I still found it to be a page turner.
Bowler manages to create just the right level of suspense and at times it was a rather creepy tale.

Dusty is living with her father 2 years after the disappearance of her brother and subsequent departure of her mother. On New Year's Eve she receiv
Lowed
Mar 27, 2011 Lowed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2011
I am not one to be scared off easily by a book or a movie. But this one gave me the creeps. Simple yet elegantly written!
Diego Hernández
Yo, odiando a la protagonista:

Ni siquiera sé si me gustó o no me gusto.

De entrada, debo decir que es un libro que habla de fantasmas, ángeles, y esas cosas paranormales que a mí, no me gustan.

Lo compré porque la sinopsis de la contraportada me enamoró, pero no fue para nada lo que esperaba.

Todos los personajes son estúpidos, la historia es estúpida y todo en ese libro es estúpido.

No le doy 1 ni dos estrellas porque así como hubieron cosas MALAS, también hubieron cosas buenas (aunque menos), que
Rachael
Sep 16, 2009 Rachael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody with half a mind
Jared  Deocareza
Sep 04, 2015 Jared Deocareza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
It's so beautiful! The cover really suits the story well! It's..So.. Dark. And the reason why I got my hands on this book is that, when I flipped it open and to read the very 1st page-it automatically got me hooked!

It was scary, that it makes me let out a quite scream, which kinda freaks the people around me when I do that. I kept on gasping as I make my way through different chapters that I can't help but to close the book when I feel like it was way too much for me to handle. But to summed i
Books and Literature for Teens
For Dusty it started with with a phone call from a mysterious boy.
At first Dusty wants nothing to do with this strange boy who has been seen lurking around Raven's Fell; but when the boy tells her something about her brother Josh, whose been missing for two years, Dusty is determined to get to the bottom of this-despite the danger of the revengeful "ponytail" man.

A physiological thriller, huh? was my first thought when I saw this at the library. I've never read one before, so I decided to try i
Kyleigh
Aug 24, 2008 Kyleigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Very very very good! I about died at the ending.

I think I have a new favorite author. Ok, maybe not absolute fave but another great author. The suspense was killing me! I literally couldn't put it down.

Dusty finally got an evening to herself only to have it ruined by a mysterious boy on the phone who claims he's dying. Dusty's suddenly swept into a world of confusion where reality no longer makes sense. To make things worse the people who are hunting this mysterious boy are now after her, thin
Kylee
Oct 13, 2011 Kylee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a late winter night when Dusty gets a phone call. She knows she can't ignore it so as she picks up the phone the voice on the other end says, "I'm Dying." Dusty wants nothing to do with this boy but it seems as if he knows everything about her brothers dissapearence. How did he know all this personal details about her life and her brother? Dusty was determined to find out. As she goes on the search for the strange boy she starts to learn more and more about him. Stories have been going arou ...more
Violet
Oct 26, 2013 Violet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the past I tried reading this book, but never got passed the second or maybe third chapter. However this morning I woke up, made my self a cup of tea and ended up finishing the book in one sitting.

It starts off with a girl named Dusty, receiving a phone call from a mysterious boy. The boy tells her he is dying because he over dosed, in order to kill himself. Dusty being frightened asks why he called and he tells her he just wanted someone to talk to while he slipped away. The boy tells her
  • Please Save My Earth, Vol. 7
  • Light Beneath Ferns
  • The Road of Bones
  • If the Witness Lied
  • The Monster Hunter's Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Saving Mankind from Vampires, Zombies, Hellhounds, and Other Mythical Beasts
  • Goldstrike: A Thriller
  • The Space Between Trees
  • The Wikkeling
  • The Comet's Curse (Galahad, #1)
  • Sleepless
  • 7 Souls
  • Project 17
  • Sisters of Misery (Sisters of Misery, #1)
  • From Far Away, Vol. 13
  • Hansel and Gretel (Faerie Tale Collection, #5)
  • Sight
  • Lungs Full of Noise
  • Lucas
192549
Tim Bowler is one of the UK’s most compelling and original writers for teenagers. He was born in Leigh-on-Sea and after studying Swedish at University he worked in forestry, the timber trade, teaching and translating before becoming a full-time writer. He lives with his wife in a small village in Devon and his workroom is an old stone outhouse known to friends as ‘Tim’s Bolthole’.

Tim has written t
More about Tim Bowler...

“There could never be innocence in a world without justice.” 27 likes
“Doesn't seem right, does it? A split second to lose him and a lifetime to grieve over him.” 23 likes