Best of Friends

Best of Friends

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,312 ratings  ·  64 reviews
You can have it all!

Abby Barton's TV career is taking off and now she and her husband can have the life they've always dreamed of in a lovely Irish town -- at least, in theory! But when your husband takes you for granted and your teenage daughter hates you, an adoring old flame can spell danger to your seemingly perfect life. Fortunately, Abby has her friends to keep...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Downtown Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Best of Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best of Friends

Amanda
I decided to read this book because my cousin recommended it to me (and when I say recommended I really mean she half shoved it down my throat). To be completely honest I wasn't entirely pleased. 'Best of Friends' seemed such a cheesy title and it didn't seem like the type of book I would enjoy at all. However as soon as I got over my prejudice and opened the book I realised that I liked the style of writing immensely and discovered it was exactly 'my kind of book'. It was near addictive.

'Best o...more
♥ Marlene♥
Another easy summer read. A book that is good for relaxing although the author does touch on some difficult topics like breast cancer.

Thi is my second book by Cathy Kelly and I am enjoying them so far. Still have one left which I got from the library.
Glad that I decided to give her a try cause thse are perfect books after reading some heavier stuff.
Betsy
Here's a great example of why British chick lit is usually so much better than its American counterpart. I don't know why it is; perhaps British chick-lit writers are better at characterizations, or maybe it's just that British characters are more appealing to me. In any event, this was a wonderful, absorbing read.
Emma Louise
Nadia
Four very different women--Abby, a television actress; her painfully shy teenage daughter, Jess; Lizzie, reeling from her ex-husband's new romance; and Erin, returning to Ireland from Chicago to help her husband's career--are brought together in the town of Dunmore, Ireland, by various circumstances as they get the chance to transform their lives for the better.

It's a story of pretty ordinary lives, mingled with the odd bit of panache, though I thought that the ending was very predictable and co...more
Yrinsyde
www.Cathy.Kelly.com

Best of Friends is Cathy Kelly’s seventh novel, but the first of hers that I’ve read. It’s the story of three women who are brought together by the demise of another. This story has been described as warm, chatty and delightful, which I partly agree with. However, there are a few major faults with this novel which, in my view, should have been tidied up before being sent to the publishers. Firstly, there are too many ‘fillers’ which make me wonder if they were included to meet...more
Jessica Chambers
The four women in this novel each have their own problems to overcome. Abby may be enjoying a highly successful career as the presenter of her own TV show, but her new career has caused friction at home. Abby's daughter Jess, about to sit her exams, is caught in the middle of the animosity between her parents. Lizzie has been divorced from her husband for five years, but is still finding it hard to let go of the past and move on. Erin, who ran away from home at eighteen after a family row, is no...more
Brit McCarthy
I have to admit, when I picked this book up I really wasn't expecting much, having just read three Elizabeth Noble books. But I was pleasantly surprised to find I quite enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I'd give it 3.5 stars over 3. The storyline, or should I say lines, were interesting as were the characters. There was some real character development which I always like to see, however sometimes the characters did annoy me, like Lizzie's daughter Debra and the way Lizzie was so wea...more
Kathryn
I can't believe this took 40 days to read!! I think that's a record as I normally read at least 2 a week! I guess I've been busy, and the book is chunky! Who knows? It wasn't because the book was rubbish!

I nearly gave up part way through, as I didn't know if I'd want to read it based on the storyline (won't say what as I don't want to spoil it!!), but am glad I did! I loved all the characters,(except possibly one of the daughters!!!!) and wanted to read to make sure there was a happy ending!

Kat...more
Nathalie
I have been finding that sometimes, Cathy Kelly books can be a bit hit and miss. Some of her books I have really struggled to read, as I have found them a bit slow going at the start, then the ending seems rushed. Not this one however! This was a great book, such a great story, and I really liked the lead characters.

It is a sad story at times, but that is balanced by happier moments, and the women's friendship really help the story feel more than just sad. I would definitely recommend this one...more
Chevelle
The biggest irony of the book has to be that they are HARDLY best of friends. They don't really confide to each other until they absolutely "can't help themselves", they hardly meet up, and you don't get the sense that they miss each other when they don't get round to meeting.

The men are incredibly two-dimensional. Which just means, really, that this is your typical chick-lit. Still, a good read if you don't want to think at all and you need something to empty your mind before bedtime. It does...more
Tracey Joseph
a nice comfey book
Jacqueline
ive been quite hard on cathy kelly in some of my reviews and this is why.this was the first cathy kelly book i ever read and i really loved it, i even read it again which i only do when i really have loved a story! i thought all of the characters were amazing, i really liked the way that they were all believable and the plot (while possibly being underwhelming in places) was very realistic and at times really made me emotional. i would really recommend this book.
Wilmado
Makes you really appreciate the little things in life
Sheri
I tend to choose books about women and their friendships and they're normallu insightful and interesting. This one is written by an English author and I'm always amused by their wording and description. This was the typical story of friendship of several women in a town and their lives. I just wasn't very keen on the story and felt that I really was not connecting to any of the story. It was so so.
Elaine Armstrong
I must say I'm a sucker for books about Ireland or England....I've devoured every Maeve Binchy book and just love how the people speak and act. This book I completely enjoyed. I loved the characters and their interaction and how they all come together. The only problem was that it was over 500 pages which took a long time, but it was very enjoyable.
Kirsty
I got this book as a result of not cancelling the editors choice in time from the book club that I was a member of. Its not one I'd have picked up in a shop. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a well written book that is very moving whilst providing some laughs aswell. The characters are realistic and the storyline draws you in. A wonderful book.
Debra
Jul 06, 2007 Debra rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chick Lit lovers
Sort of cheesy, this is definitely a "beach-read" rather than an intellectual book. Similar to the types of books by Jane Green and Marian Keyes, this book takes place in Ireland and tells a story about four women in the same town going through difficult periods in their lives. A nice story and a quick read but it won't challenge your brain!
Sharron Shimbel
Very light, a good summer read when nothing else available. I liked the characters and even the story line had some merit, however i found Cathy Kelly's style grating in this novel.
The book would have been greatly improved by decent editing. To much. "he said", "she said" within the conversations. this was very annoying.
Joan Barker
good read....enjoyed
Noora
Kevyttä hömppää, joka sopii hyvin gradunpalautuksen jälkeisiin tunnelmiin. Ihan mukava ja leppoisa kirja, mutta tapahtumat ehkä hitusen liian ennalta-arvattavia ja osin myös latteita. Kerronta myös hieman hyppi ja toisti jonkin verran itseään. Tähän olotilaan (aivojen nollaukseen) kuitenkin varsin sopivaa luettavaa.
Melissa Salce
Very light and fluffy....took a break, but will finish it just for the sake of it.

This was painful to finish. Essentially, a 600 page lifetime movie of a book. I literally forced myself to read the whole thing. I would not recommend. Someone lent it to me...I would have never bought this. Glad it is over.
Ilovetoread2
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. Some of the characters were just a little unbelievable in their attitudes such as Lizzie and her daughter Debra and I started to get really annoyed with them. However, I really liked this story and almost did not want it to be finished.
Tara
This is an Irish author, and her books are all based in Ireland. This book is about unlikely friends and the things that bring them together and keep them friends. A fairly easy read, but interesting to the end as the characters are really likable.
I absolutely loved Best of Friends by Cathy Kelly, and definitely plan to look up her other novels. The writing was so smooth--I seem to like the writing styles of British novelists--it just pulled you along, seamlessly. Terrific, realistic, lovely!
Sherry
Sep 28, 2011 Sherry rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I gave up on this book sixteen pages in. It was clunky and dull. An obvious introduction to a long cast of characters. It's hard to pin down exactly WHAT I don't like about the book, but as soon as I started reading it I knew it wasn't my kind of book.
Abigail
I like her style and her characters. Only downside is that this read a little more like three different books only loosely tied together. It's still a fun book to read, but it lost some of its charm with that lack of cohesiveness.
Rel
Slow start, I really found it hard to keep reading it as the characters didn't hold my attention at first. Debra was by far my least favourite character.
But once they all met at Sally's party their stories began to take form.
Linda
This novel tells you about four women who become best friends in a very short time. These women do not work together but all live in a small town and their lives become entangled with one another. I would recommend this book.
Bernie Mcquillan
this was the 1st ever book i have read of cathy kelly and loved it from start to finish. the main storyline was heartbreaking and brought tears 2 my eyes, but i also laughed at parts and didnt know if i could stop.
  • He's Got to Go
  • Airs and Graces
  • Francesca's Party
  • A Taste For It
  • Ready or Not?
  • The Tavern on Maple Street
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become...more
More about Cathy Kelly...
Someone Like You Always and Forever Homecoming Past Secrets Just Between Us