Start by marking “The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (Cat Who... SSC1)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (Cat Who... SSC1)

The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (The Cat Who... SSC1)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,700 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The Cat Who Had 14 Tales
A courageous Siamese bags a cunning cat burglar...a country kitty proves a stumbling block in a violent murder...and an intuitive feline's premonition helps solve the case of the missing antiques dealer.

the short stories are:
Phut Phat Concentrates
Weekend of the Big Puddle
The Fluppie Phenomenon
The Hero of Drummond Street
The Mad Museum Mouser
The Dark
Published March 1st 1988 by Jove (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Had 14 Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Had 14 Tales

Sonya Lano
Feb 21, 2013 Sonya Lano rated it really liked it
Average 3.64 (I'm rounding up to 4, though, because the stories that I liked I really liked a lot)

Here is a breakdown of the stories (By the way, all of these are cat stories, but not all of them are mysteries as other readers seem to expect from this author):

Phut Phat Concentrates - 4 stars - Brave Phut Phat versus the thief. This isn't a mystery per se but a fun read, especially Phut Phat's evaluations of his human servants and their guests.

Weekend of the Big Puddle - 3 stars - A ghost story.
Denise
Jun 23, 2014 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SRP Why Bite: This is a lighthearted collection of whimsical stories about cats, and two or three darker ones.

This was not what I expected after having read The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. I thought this collection of short stories would be in the same vein as the series of mystery novels. Not so. Instead of tales of suspense and mystery, these were mostly whimsical tales about various cats, not unlike Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats. A few stories included in this collection, such as “The
Kirsti
Apr 27, 2014 Kirsti rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories, all about cats. What could be better? Not much in my opinion. There are stories that reminded me of Koko and Yum Yum, despite this book not actually being about them. One story in particular struck a chord with a cat falling from a window. I enjoyed the mystery element, and the writing is as good as ever. I really liked this book, even if I was under the impression this was a Cat Who book. Four stars.
Laura Verret
From the author of the Cat Who series comes this set of fourteen tales. Unconnected by characters or location, each of the stories shares one theme – a cat plays a central role in either the committing or solving of the crime.

Discussion.

Although the stories themselves were flat – engagement was minimal – I did enjoy experiencing the phenomena of cats not only being sleuths, but of also being murderers. The best stories in the whole piece (from an interest standpoint) were those in which cats per
Rola G.
Feb 14, 2014 Rola G. rated it really liked it
The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (#30 in Cat Who..) written by Lilian Jackson Braun, owner of two Siamese cats, is a compilation of fourteen short stories surrounding fourteen different problems the highlighted felines aided in solving. These varied problems range from finding a burglar to finding a murderer, or perhaps even being an accidental killer.

The Cat Who Had 14 Tales clearly points out the felines' intelligence throughout the stories stating every once in a while things such as "'two of the ki
Cuauhtemoc
Jul 13, 2013 Cuauhtemoc rated it really liked it
Este es, hasta el momento, mi libro favorito de la escritora Lilian Jackson Braun, principalmente porque al tratarse de 14 cuentos cortos, debe ir al grano en su historia casi de inmediato. Estos 14 cuentos acerca de gatos reúnen todos los géneros desde el misterio policiaco, historias de fantasmas, hasta la tragedia. Algunas historias son bastante tristes, mientras que otras traen moralejas de la vida en general. Recomiendo fuertemente este libro para todos los amantes de los gatos, todos aquel ...more
Sue
Jun 28, 2010 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
disappointed because I assumed this would be stories about Koko and Yum-yum since the title starts "The Cat Who..."
Collection of short stories all of which involve cats; most but not all of them Siamese. A couple of the stories I liked, but most of them left me with a question of wondering what happened, or else just downright weird.
Marissa
May 13, 2011 Marissa rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This book features fourteen short stories by Braun, some of which were published in a mystery magazine in the 60's. There are a variety of stories, all focused on, of course, cats! They are thought-provoking and make for entertaining reading. Some Qwill/Koko/Yum Yum vibes in the stories can be felt, even though they are not actually part of this book. Fun read!
Cindra
Mar 26, 2014 Cindra rated it really liked it
Being a cat lover, these books had great appeal for me. Loved them all. Koko is one cool cat!
Terri
May 16, 2008 Terri rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Not one of my favorites from the series! I have found that the short stories just don't appeal to me like the novels do
Mary Tonks
Jul 18, 2015 Mary Tonks rated it it was amazing
Short stories first written and published before the "Cat Who"...series, compiled in this volume. It gives good insight into Braun's ideas for the later stories. I enjoyed them very much.
itchy
Nov 09, 2016 itchy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
the stories are quite good;
no relevance to qwill and his pets though
Gloria
Feb 27, 2017 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone; detective; mystery stories; who done it?; cats
This is an anthology of stories, and they seem to be with a cat as the main character.

Phut Phat Concentrates
Phut Phat is the cat. He tries to communicate telepathically with his humans: ONE and TWO. When the humans give a dinner party, Phut Phat is admired for a short time, then goes and sleeps on the wraps. One of the guests is wondered about. Phut Phat is alone at home when the guest returns and burgles the valuables. Phut Phat attacks him with razor sharp claws, then hides under the bed. Whe
Stacy Croushorn
Mar 17, 2017 Stacy Croushorn rated it liked it
Shelves: cat-who-series
Short, but amusing cat stories written by the Cat Who herself. The UFO one was goofy, but several were quite entertaining.
Sheherazahde
Aug 18, 2011 Sheherazahde rated it really liked it
Fourteen short stories.[return]"Phut Phut Concentrates" A Siamese cat solves a burglary. [return]"The Weekend of the Big Puddle" A grey-black tabby has to deal with ghosts.[return]"The Fluppie Phenomenon" A cute story about the ability of some cats to cause trouble. And how normal people can become cat people against all odds. [return]"The Hero of Drummond Street" How a neighborhood stray becomes a neighborhood hero by discovering a gas leak.[return]"The Mad Museum Mouser" A museum cat prevents ...more
lukk
Oct 03, 2011 lukk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
За последние несколько месяцев я пристрастилась к детективным историям Браун про котиков Коко и Юм-Юм, и время от времени, когда головушка не хочет сильно много думать, эти штучки приходятся очень кстати. Когда я узнала, что есть еще и сборник рассказов ее авторства про котиков, то вообщем-то не раздумывая схватилась за него, ожидая расслабления мозга и очаровательной кошкости.

Как ни странно, оно понравилось мне меньше, чем детективные истории. Может, слишком много котиков (разве такое бывает
Amy "the book-bat"
Nov 30, 2012 Amy "the book-bat" rated it it was ok
First of all, this collection of short stories has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the series. None of the characters from the series appear in the stories. The only tie-in so to speak is that they are written by the same person. Second, the stories were less mystery oriented than the series. Some of the stories had a slight element of mystery but most leaned toward ghost stories.
Personally, I am not all that crazy about reading short stories. This collection felt uneven to me. A couple of the sto
Lisa Kucharski
Dec 31, 2013 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it
In "The Cat Who" series usually features the reporter and his cat friends but in this book you have a series of short stories all containing cats. Some are mystery oriented while others could be considered sci-fi, or riffing off of superstitions, but all are touching and some - The Mad Museum Mouser, Tipsy and the Board of Health, and Tragedy on New Year's Eve have a strong feeling of realism to them.

With ironic co-incidence I finished the book with the last story being the Tragedy of New Year's
 Doris Powell
Apr 27, 2015 Doris Powell rated it really liked it
If you haven't guess, I am a real cat lover. This book struck a nice note for me. It was written by Ms. Braun before all her cat stories became famous. Many of these short stories appeared in ELLERY QUEEN'S MYSTERY MAGAZINE back in the 1960s. My favorite was "The Dark One" where a Siamese cat took care of an abusive husband by laying in his path and tripping him over a ravine. Anyone who would like to find out how smart cats are should read this book!
Alex
Oct 02, 2008 Alex rated it it was ok
Meh, a strange set of short stories most that felt like they were weird Cat Fancy Fan Fic. if that makes any sense. If you are a fan of the series because of her strange obsession with Siamese then you will like many of these stories because every other one was about a Siamese. You could always tell when the story would be about one because the name would be something ostentatious Phen-Phen or Royalty Lord Gibbles it got a little old.
Chazzi
May 07, 2015 Chazzi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fun collection of Feline Mysteries by the author of The Cat Who series. These tales do not feature Quill, Koko and Yum Yum, but other characters who have interesting tales to tell.

Some of these are in the classic style Lillian Jackson Braun writes in but some are a little bit out there in plot line. Fun reads with a lot of variety. The plots will leave you thinking about what you have just read.
Kirsty (alkalinekiwi)
A collection of cozy kitty mysteries by the author of the Cat Who books. Even though they are marked as being part of the Cat Who series they don't feature the characters from that series - so no Koko, Yum Yum or Qwill.

Like many short story collections I have read I enjoyed some more than others. On the whole I enjoyed the whole collection and had to smile at the many instances when the cats were smarter than the humans.

Carole
Oct 15, 2011 Carole rated it liked it
Contrary to what one would think, this book is not a part of the Qwilleran/Koko/Yum Yum series. It is, rather, a book of short mysteries starring other cats. They're not bad...and the book is probably worth spending a couple hours on, depending on how fast you read, but I wouldn't suggest dropping everything in order to hunt down a copy ASAP. It's just not that fabulous. If I could give it 2.5 stars, I would.
Betsy
Feb 03, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing
This book was terrific! What could be better than 14 short stories, most of them mysteries, about cats? If you love cozy mysteries, if you love cats, if you love great writing then this is the book for you. Truly memorable characters (all of them four-legged) really touched me as I read. Some of the tales are amusing, others pull at your heartstrings. Seriously, this is one book you don't want to miss reading.
Genesis
Jan 18, 2012 Genesis rated it it was amazing

I really really liked this book. My favorite story was East Side Story. It was such a sweet, sad story. Read this book to find out what I mean. All of the stories in this book are really cool. There are strange stories like Stanley and Spook. And suspenseful stories like The Dark One.There are also humorous stories like The Phluppie Phenomenon. Read this book, it is amazing!For people like my mom who have read some books by this author and didn't like it, give Braun a chance!
Becky
Apr 24, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun! Several of these short stories seem to have been written eiter before or at the same time that the first 3 "Cat Who" books were written. More clever cats which are like Koko and Yum Yum! So, it's hard to say which cat's character was created first. I'm sure long-term fans know! Out of the 3 collections of short stories, this is my favorite.
Carol
Jul 13, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
I love these books. I'm a cat person, and can see in many cute ways how clever she is in her writing. This one is a diversion from the usual format, where she writes 14 different stories about 14 different experiences with different cats. Loved it, and it was very cleverly written. Recommend.

I gave this 4.5 stars.
Suzanne
Mar 17, 2016 Suzanne rated it it was ok
The cat's 14 tales were not very interesting to me. Perhaps it's because I have always been a dog person and find dogs more sociable and communicative than cats. The stories, written with cat as narrator, had little plot and no resolution to whatever the story was. I do enjoy KoKo and Yum-Yum in the other THE CAT WHO books.
Lee
This last entry in "The Cat Who..." series is an anthology. None of the stories concern Koko or Yum Yum. They appear to be stories James Qwillerin wrote based on interview with various residents of Moose County that were not included in the previous anthology. Some were very good. Some very blah so I ended with the middle of the row rating.
Eyehavenofilter
Sep 19, 2012 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-cat-who
Charming stories where kitties get the upper hand...(awww paw)on their human counterparts... Both good and EVIL. It's wonderful to know that cats still rule, whilst dogs drool. ( slurp...)
If you love puddly tats, and think they are smarty pants plus, then this should be the quickest best read ever for you.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Had 14 Tales #7 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 09:53PM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)

“Phut Phat knew, at an early age, that humans were an inferior breed. They were unable to see in the dark. They ate and drank unthinkable concoctions. And they had only five senses; the pair who lived with Phut Phat could not even transmit their thoughts without resorting to words.” 2 likes
“Meanwhile, news has been leaked to the press that the Hero of Drummond Street will be pictured on the cover of a national magazine, nude.” 2 likes