Start by marking “The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (Cat Who... SSC1)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (Cat Who... SSC1)

The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (Cat Who... SSC1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,241 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The Cat Who Had 14 Tales A courageous Siamese bags a cunning cat burglar...a country kitty proves a stumbling block in a violent murder...and an intuitive feline's premonition helps solve the case of the missing antiques dealer.
Published March 1st 1988 by Jove (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Had 14 Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Had 14 Tales

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
442nd out of 880 books — 421 voters
The Cat Who Had 14 Tales by Lilian Jackson BraunSARK's Journal  and Play! Book by SARKMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John BerendtThe Green Mile by Stephen KingLove, Janis by Laura Joplin
Books I've read ad-nauseum
1st out of 11 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Sonya Lano
Average 3.64 (I'm rounding up to 4, though, because the stories that I liked I really liked a lot)

Here is a breakdown of the stories (By the way, all of these are cat stories, but not all of them are mysteries as other readers seem to expect from this author):

Phut Phat Concentrates - 4 stars - Brave Phut Phat versus the thief. This isn't a mystery per se but a fun read, especially Phut Phat's evaluations of his human servants and their guests.

Weekend of the Big Puddle - 3 stars - A ghost story.
Kirsti
A collection of short stories, all about cats. What could be better? Not much in my opinion. There are stories that reminded me of Koko and Yum Yum, despite this book not actually being about them. One story in particular struck a chord with a cat falling from a window. I enjoyed the mystery element, and the writing is as good as ever. I really liked this book, even if I was under the impression this was a Cat Who book. Four stars.
Denise
SRP Why Bite: This is a lighthearted collection of whimsical stories about cats, and two or three darker ones.

This was not what I expected after having read The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. I thought this collection of short stories would be in the same vein as the series of mystery novels. Not so. Instead of tales of suspense and mystery, these were mostly whimsical tales about various cats, not unlike Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats. A few stories included in this collection, such as “The
Terri
Not one of my favorites from the series! I have found that the short stories just don't appeal to me like the novels do
Rola G.
The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (#30 in Cat Who..) written by Lilian Jackson Braun, owner of two Siamese cats, is a compilation of fourteen short stories surrounding fourteen different problems the highlighted felines aided in solving. These varied problems range from finding a burglar to finding a murderer, or perhaps even being an accidental killer.

The Cat Who Had 14 Tales clearly points out the felines' intelligence throughout the stories stating every once in a while things such as "'two of the ki
From the author of the Cat Who series comes this set of fourteen tales. Unconnected by characters or location, each of the stories shares one theme – a cat plays a central role in either the committing or solving of the crime.

Discussion.

Although the stories themselves were flat – engagement was minimal – I did enjoy experiencing the phenomena of cats not only being sleuths, but of also being murderers. The best stories in the whole piece (from an interest standpoint) were those in which cats per
Cuauhtemoc
Este es, hasta el momento, mi libro favorito de la escritora Lilian Jackson Braun, principalmente porque al tratarse de 14 cuentos cortos, debe ir al grano en su historia casi de inmediato. Estos 14 cuentos acerca de gatos reúnen todos los géneros desde el misterio policiaco, historias de fantasmas, hasta la tragedia. Algunas historias son bastante tristes, mientras que otras traen moralejas de la vida en general. Recomiendo fuertemente este libro para todos los amantes de los gatos, todos aquel ...more
Sheherazahde
Fourteen short stories.[return]"Phut Phut Concentrates" A Siamese cat solves a burglary. [return]"The Weekend of the Big Puddle" A grey-black tabby has to deal with ghosts.[return]"The Fluppie Phenomenon" A cute story about the ability of some cats to cause trouble. And how normal people can become cat people against all odds. [return]"The Hero of Drummond Street" How a neighborhood stray becomes a neighborhood hero by discovering a gas leak.[return]"The Mad Museum Mouser" A museum cat prevents ...more
annik
За последние несколько месяцев я пристрастилась к детективным историям Браун про котиков Коко и Юм-Юм, и время от времени, когда головушка не хочет сильно много думать, эти штучки приходятся очень кстати. Когда я узнала, что есть еще и сборник рассказов ее авторства про котиков, то вообщем-то не раздумывая схватилась за него, ожидая расслабления мозга и очаровательной кошкости.

Как ни странно, оно понравилось мне меньше, чем детективные истории. Может, слишком много котиков (разве такое бывает
Carol
I love these books. I'm a cat person, and can see in many cute ways how clever she is in her writing. This one is a diversion from the usual format, where she writes 14 different stories about 14 different experiences with different cats. Loved it, and it was very cleverly written. Recommend.

I gave this 4.5 stars.
Amy
First of all, this collection of short stories has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the series. None of the characters from the series appear in the stories. The only tie-in so to speak is that they are written by the same person. Second, the stories were less mystery oriented than the series. Some of the stories had a slight element of mystery but most leaned toward ghost stories.
Personally, I am not all that crazy about reading short stories. This collection felt uneven to me. A couple of the sto
Lisa Kucharski
In "The Cat Who" series usually features the reporter and his cat friends but in this book you have a series of short stories all containing cats. Some are mystery oriented while others could be considered sci-fi, or riffing off of superstitions, but all are touching and some - The Mad Museum Mouser, Tipsy and the Board of Health, and Tragedy on New Year's Eve have a strong feeling of realism to them.

With ironic co-incidence I finished the book with the last story being the Tragedy of New Year's
Xavier Northrup
I just started reading the book but I think I am going to enjoy it because I like cats and I never read a story in the point of view of a cat.
Cindra
Being a cat lover, these books had great appeal for me. Loved them all. Koko is one cool cat!
Lynda Muller
Some of these stories are creepy, some of them are amusing, but they are all good.
Mystry
Good mystery tales, but too many end in tragedy (i.e. cat-related deaths). ):
Sheri
Disappointed as I thought this would be one of the Cat Who series. Instead I was surprised with 14 individual tales of various cats that were only somewhat entertaining.
Joyce Gonzales
Good short stories!
Genesis Puckett

I really really liked this book. My favorite story was East Side Story. It was such a sweet, sad story. Read this book to find out what I mean. All of the stories in this book are really cool. There are strange stories like Stanley and Spook. And suspenseful stories like The Dark One.There are also humorous stories like The Phluppie Phenomenon. Read this book, it is amazing!For people like my mom who have read some books by this author and didn't like it, give Braun a chance!
Kirsty (alkalinekiwi)
A collection of cozy kitty mysteries by the author of the Cat Who books. Even though they are marked as being part of the Cat Who series they don't feature the characters from that series - so no Koko, Yum Yum or Qwill.

Like many short story collections I have read I enjoyed some more than others. On the whole I enjoyed the whole collection and had to smile at the many instances when the cats were smarter than the humans.

Betsy
This book was terrific! What could be better than 14 short stories, most of them mysteries, about cats? If you love cozy mysteries, if you love cats, if you love great writing then this is the book for you. Truly memorable characters (all of them four-legged) really touched me as I read. Some of the tales are amusing, others pull at your heartstrings. Seriously, this is one book you don't want to miss reading.
Carole
Contrary to what one would think, this book is not a part of the Qwilleran/Koko/Yum Yum series. It is, rather, a book of short mysteries starring other cats. They're not bad...and the book is probably worth spending a couple hours on, depending on how fast you read, but I wouldn't suggest dropping everything in order to hunt down a copy ASAP. It's just not that fabulous. If I could give it 2.5 stars, I would.
Marissa
This book features fourteen short stories by Braun, some of which were published in a mystery magazine in the 60's. There are a variety of stories, all focused on, of course, cats! They are thought-provoking and make for entertaining reading. Some Qwill/Koko/Yum Yum vibes in the stories can be felt, even though they are not actually part of this book. Fun read!
Sue
disappointed because I assumed this would be stories about Koko and Yum-yum since the title starts "The Cat Who..."
Collection of short stories all of which involve cats; most but not all of them Siamese. A couple of the stories I liked, but most of them left me with a question of wondering what happened, or else just downright weird.
Becky
A lot of fun! Several of these short stories seem to have been written eiter before or at the same time that the first 3 "Cat Who" books were written. More clever cats which are like Koko and Yum Yum! So, it's hard to say which cat's character was created first. I'm sure long-term fans know! Out of the 3 collections of short stories, this is my favorite.
Eyehavenofilter
Charming stories where kitties get the upper hand...(awww paw)on their human counterparts... Both good and EVIL. It's wonderful to know that cats still rule, whilst dogs drool. ( slurp...)
If you love puddly tats, and think they are smarty pants plus, then this should be the quickest best read ever for you.
Gill
Jul 31, 2009 Gill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat-lovers, fans of Koko and the Cat who series.
Shelves: catwho, cats
I enjoyed this one more than most of the other "The cat who.." that I had read. I do feel that LJB's storytelling skills are best displayed in the short story than the full-length book, the pace is more compatible. The collection has a good variety of themes all with central cats of course!
Libbeth
I've read quite a few of the "Cat Who" books and I would go so far as to say that I enjoyed these short stories more than some of the "Cat Who" books, which can get a little tedious in places - and no sign of Qwilleran and his magical twitching moustache, which was a nice change.
Heather
I really loved all the stories. Some of them were really funny and some of them were very serious. The one with Madame Phloi made me sad and angry and then... well, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. All in all really great stories!
This is a collection of short stories/mysteries involving cats as the main characters. Not the same cats that are in the regular series. Some of the stories are cute or interesting, but definitely not as good as the regular The Cat Who... series.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Had 14 Tales #7 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 09:53PM
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)

“Phut Phat knew, at an early age, that humans were an inferior breed. They were unable to see in the dark. They ate and drank unthinkable concoctions. And they had only five senses; the pair who lived with Phut Phat could not even transmit their thoughts without resorting to words.” 2 likes
“Meanwhile, news has been leaked to the press that the Hero of Drummond Street will be pictured on the cover of a national magazine, nude.” 2 likes