Start by marking “Relentless Pursuit: A True Story of Family, Murder, and the Prosecutor Who Wouldn't Quit” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
If One L is the book to read before law school, Relentless Pursuit is the book to read after-a real-life legal thriller that shows, from the inside, a prosecutor's quest to deliver justice to a family devastated by murder.

What happened to Diane Hawkins and her daughter Katrina-a brutal double murder in which the girl's heart was cut from her body-devastated a Washington,
Published March 1st 2007 by Putnam Adult (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Relentless Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relentless Pursuit

♥ Marlene♥
Third time lucky. Not because I did not like the writing but not sure I liked the people. Now I have read more than a hundred pages and what great author Kevin Flynn is.

Update March 15 2016. Finished this morning and what a great book it was. To be honest I searched if the prosecutor really wrote this book and I could not find any co authors so Mister Flynn.."Respect. You have outwritten some of the most wellknown true crime authors of now"

This case is not one with lots of surprises or one where
Fishface
Jan 15, 2016 Fishface rated it it was amazing
An excellently-written account of a truly hideous, grisly crime. For a change, we get a pretty good sense of who the victims were and a real sense of their places in the world before they were taken. This is not a sympathetic bio of the killer at all, but we get a fair sense of who that guy is, too. The author, who prosecuted the case, describes a truly hair-raising trial in just the right amount of detail, without once bogging down in the kind of details that would only interest a lawyer. You s ...more
Kathy
Apr 27, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pursuit

This was a good story made very interesting by a good author. I enjoy true crimes. I especially liked how the author had a family story of his own to tell and how well it was woven into this crime story. Good read...
Amy A.
Dec 08, 2011 Amy A. rated it liked it
Well, this is not usually a book I would read (anymore). I say anymore, because I used to enjoy a good thriller by Mary Higgins Clark or something, but I'm a lot more sensitive since I've had kids, so it's been a long time. However, it was one of those things where I picked it up at the library, read the first chapter, and then had to see how it ended. It was also FAR less creepy for me reading it from a prosecuting attorney's perspective, than it would have been reading something from the kille ...more
Jill Hutchinson
Feb 26, 2010 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
I do not particularly like books written in the first person but I will make an exception in this instance. The author, prosecuting a horrible double murder in DC, gives an insider's glimpse into the machinations of the court system as well as the police work involved in bringing the suspect to trial.
The murder is a veritable slaughter of a mother and young daughter and the author pulls no punches in the description of the crime. He has a touching relationship with the large, extended family of
Sheri Salatin
Jan 26, 2009 Sheri Salatin rated it liked it
This book was hard to put down. I don't usually like books written in the first person, but this one was a definite exception. Flynn, a prosecuting attorney, weaves an amazing story. He tells things in the order in which he discovered them. I completely agree with the cover of the book - "An aspicious debut...reads like a thriller."

Flynn is given a case of a murdered mother and daughter. And it's not just a murder, these two women were butchered. Gruesome details, a man hunt, amazing testimonies
Christine
Jan 26, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Written by the prosecutor the book is a very faithful description of a gruesome double murder and the ensuing trial.; interesting, but could have moved a bit faster
Donald
Oct 02, 2009 Donald rated it really liked it
This is an excellent "true crime" book that reads like a novel in most respects. Written by the prosecutor of the case, we learn all about the gruesome killings of a mother and her teenage daughter and the search for the killer. I liked the fact that we're not told who did it until the verdict comes back in the trial. It kept me wondering if they were going to find extra information that would bring about a new suspect.
Ginny
Mar 25, 2013 Ginny rated it liked it
This is a true story told by the prosecutor of a case about the murder of a mother and daughter in Washington, DC. What I liked about it was the author's commitment to the victims and their family. It is apparent that this case from his career as prosecutor struck a chord. The victims were black and it is refreshing to see that their murders were given the attention they deserved.
Jun 20, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Crime and Crout Case Fans
This book is written by a federal prosecuting lawyer. It was well written and very interesting. I enjoy reading about the trial in a true crime case. This book gave me information and insight I had previously not had. If you like true crime and the building of the legal case against a defendant this is a must read.
Arii
Jul 11, 2012 Arii rated it really liked it
Compelling story. The prosecutor takes you right into the courtroom and keeps it interesting throughout the whole book. At the end, after seeing the actual trial and how the evidence was presented, there's no doubt in my mind that the jury reached the correct verdict.
Alison Shurtleff
Jun 29, 2008 Alison Shurtleff rated it really liked it
It's hard to believe the author is also a prosecutor. Obviously he has many talents. This book reads like a well-written mystery, except that you know from the start who dunnit. Very entertaining and informative. But then, true crime is pretty much all I read.
Nick
Mar 03, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This book tells the story of a prosecutor's journey to bring convict a man of the brutal murders he committed. The strength of the victims family, and their example for the prosecutor as he faces his own personal challenges at that the same time.
Donna Medina
Feb 04, 2015 Donna Medina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a moving and compassionate portrait of two families --the author's and the Hawkins family as well as the gripping trial of the man accused of murdering two of the Hawkins family members.
Marianne Jay
Jul 11, 2015 Marianne Jay rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book for a long time - but I had a real problem with it. I am a true crime fanatic and this one just didn't pass muster.
Dana
Nov 04, 2012 Dana rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-stories
It was a very good read. It was written like a nonfiction, but it had a bit of a fictional story aspect.
netra
Dec 27, 2011 netra rated it really liked it
Well written book about a true story of a mother and daughter who was murdered by an ex boyfriend.
Kathy
Mar 11, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
True crime about a horrible DC double murder. Very well written by the DA on the case.
False Millennium
Sep 12, 2012 False Millennium rated it it was ok
A sad tale, despite the success of the prosecution: in the end no one wins.
Kezia
Kezia marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Devon
Devon rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Melissa Mosley
Melissa Mosley rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Dara S.
Dara S. marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Janet Harris
Janet Harris rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
June Keet
June Keet rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Lori Hendrickson
Lori Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016