Words That Matter: A Little Book of Life Lessons

Words That Matter: A Little Book of Life Lessons

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  21 reviews
O, The Oprah Magazine is celebrating its tenth anniversary with this powerful little book, which offers more than six hundred inspiring ideas and quotations selected from the pages of the magazine. Words That Matter is a gathering of some of the greatest wisdom to appear in the magazine over the last decade, from historical figures and spiritual leaders to authors and acto...more
Published April 6th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

Tilara
I'm a big Oprah fan and when I saw this little book I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of people she would quote and how this book would turn out. Many of the people quoted have been on her shows (Dr. Phil, Martha Beck, Maya Angelou, etc.) but there are many other quotes from authors, poets, entertainment people and philosophers, as well as Oprah's own words.

The book is entirely quotes, there is no extra anything else, it is just quotes, so it is not the kind of book you sit down...more
Kellie Barlow
This is a little book full of inspiring quotes. I took my time with this one, savoring each page. I found one of my new favorites in here :

"People believe themselves to be dependent on what happens for their happiness. They don't realize that what happens is the most unstable thing in the universe." -Eckhart Tolle (So very true.)

And one more:

"Don't get hung up on the size. If you feel bad about yourself because a 12 is what fits, take a sharpie, and write '6' on the label." -Stacey London (Cute...more
هَيَـــــا
That book is a treasure trove of words that inspire, encourage,and teach you life lessons ranging from dreaming big, love, friendship and family to finding a balance and aging brilliantly. It not a coffee table book that you read and forget about, it is rather a guiding tool that you should get back to when seeking a bolt of inspiration.
Janet
I'm a quote hound, always looking for good ones. This collection would have been a lot better if Oprah herself (and writers who contribute regularly to her magazine)didn't turn up quoted on what seemed like every other page...
K8e
This is just an entire book of quotes- with a forward by Oprah- but just quotes.

Some of my favorites-

ix- Everyone has the power for greatness, not for fame, but greatness, because greatness is determined by service. -Martin Luther King Jr.

x- The more you focus on words that uplift you, the more you embody the ideas contained in those words. -Oprah

4- Fortes fortuna javat. (Fortune favors the brave)

10- You should be cooking on all four burners. -Breena Clark

11- Let passion drive your profession. -...more
Ramona
I love quotes and took my time enjoying reading the quotes Oprah compiled in her book. I marked some of my favorites with post it notes & know I will enjoy rereading Words That Matter and using it as a reference when I'm looking for a good quote to share.

"One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer." G. E Lessing, philosopher

"We can't take any credit for our talents. It's how we use them that counts." Madeleine L'Engle, author

"You're worried about how you're going...more
Carly Shaw
This book by Oprah Winfrey is an entire book of quotes. Oprah gathered all of her favorite quotes and put them in to one book to live by. Oprah claims to live her life by quotes, as she states on her show, and these are the ones that inspire her every day. One of the more famous quotes from this book is "Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome." — (Arthur Ashe).Overall, this book is a set of standards to live by and gives motivation to those w...more
Jacqueline
This is a quick read that would make a nice gift for someone who finds comfort in wise quotes.
monalisa
Can't go wrong with a book filled with nothing but uplifting quotes.
Cristina1961

I'm not sure how I sat on the chaise and read 159 pages of quotes in an hour waiting for one to leap out and grab me by the cojones-that would have been funny. Metacognition on vacation?

I should have known when I read the title page, Words that Matter. Who can claim that? All words matter.

Lesson learned. Pay attention to my own life's lessons. I can't find them on the pages of someone else's book.

Too bad I have to give it one star.
Becca
Jun 28, 2011 Becca rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Opraholics, people who like quotes
Shelves: non-fiction, snoooze
Well, what did I expect from this? It's a book of Oprah's favorite quotes to inspire the reader. Eh. How exciting can a book of quotes be (unless you're writing a paper)?

I guess this would be good to whip out when writing a letter or email or even to add a little extra touch to a greeting card, but I can do almost the same thing by searching for "inspirational quotes" online.
Andrea
Lots of great stuff in here
Faiza Kanji
This is basically a beautiful coffee table book by Oprah.

I read this book on Daily Lit.com and received daily installments of quotes from interesting people on topics like aging, being bold, love, gratitude etc.

It's fun and refreshing for your inbox.
Jennifer Rodgers- Cabrera
This is definitely a book I will keep out for when I need motivation, a great quote, etc...I love it!
Elizabeth Joss
When you're in need of some motivation make sure you open the pages of this fantastic book of quotations.
Nurashikin
A friend give me this book. I love it. Quotes are my passion. Oprah has the best ever quote collection.
Larashi
penuh inspirasi dan menyenangkan
syukurlah saya sudah menjalani hidup paling gokil selama ini
hehehe
Kathryn
A poignant little book filled with words of encouragement, love and joy. Something for everyone.
Coastalmegan
Helpful book of quotations that I used for my happiness project
Clearym
Wonderul, inspiration quotations from a wide array of personalites.
Puja Sheth
Great little book with amazing quotes to uplift you.
Michelle
quotation book, like an inspirational calendar
Mel
2 1/2 stars from me :-)
Mushfiq
Mushfiq marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kimberly Lindsay
Kimberly Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Cordelia R. Fleischmann
Cordelia R. Fleischmann marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • The Demon Side (The Demon Side, #1)
  • Someone Will Be with You Shortly: Notes from a Perfectly Imperfect Life
  • Practical Intuition
  • In the Garden of Thoughts
  • Dear Money
  • Kickboxing Geishas: How Modern Japanese Women Are Changing Their Nation
  • A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book: 95 Inspiring Ideas for Photographing Your Friends, Your World, and Yourself
  • Designated Fat Girl: A Memoir
  • Much Ado About Loving: What Our Favorite Novels Can Teach You About Date Expectations, Not So-Great Gatsbys, and Love in the Time of Internet Personals
  • Tiny Buddha: Simple Wisdom for Life's Hard Questions
  • Not On Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond
Live Your Best Life: A Treasury of Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews and Inspiration from O, The Oprah Magazine O's Guide to Life: The Best of O, The Oprah Magazine (Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews and Inspiration) O, The Oprah Magazine Cookbook O's Big Book of Happiness: The Best of O, The Oprah Magazine: Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews, and Inspiration O's Best Advice Ever!: Make Over Your Life With Oprah & Friends

“The definition of a friend is someone who’s coming in the door when everybody else is going out.” —Phil McGraw, psychologist” 2 likes
“You teach people how to treat you.” —Phil McGraw, psychologist” 1 likes