Start by marking “Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)

Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery #3)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  410 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Gourmet Girl returns to solve the murder of one bad egg.

Chloe Carter has a lot on her plate-exams for grad school are coming up, and her chef boyfriend needs her support as his fledgling trendy restaurant comes into its own. The staff of Simmer gets along like petits pois in a pod, everyone pulling pranks on one another now and then. Everyone, that is, except for Leand
Published March 4th 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Turn Up the Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turn Up the Heat

Thebookmistress
Not enough mystery -- clues, suspects, motivation, anything. It's important to include character development and relationship to make the crime-solving relevant, but this is just a bunch of boring characters being boring together, barely pausing for mystery-solving.
Margo Brooks
I enjoyed this silly witty mystery about the Boston restaurant scene. In this third book of culinary capers, Chloe's boyfriend Josh is head chef at a new Newbery Street restaurant, but all isn't perfect. Things are disappearing left and right and when one of the waitresses winds up dead in the back of a fish truck, everyone is a suspect. It is clever and fun and warm, but I agree with some other reviewers that this is supposed to be a mystery series, and there was not a lot of sleuthing going on ...more
Xyra
This is actually the third book in the A Gourmet Girl Mystery series. There is no indication of this on the cover of the book. Thankfully it is a stand alone story and the author does not allude to any previous stories in this one. [Why is so hard to put the number on the spine or cover somewhere? That used to be standard practice...why not continue that?]

A fun read. This is a "cozy mystery" so you can have peace of mind knowing that there will not be a lot of gore or intense suspense.

The story
Michelle
In this third installment of the Gourmet Girl series, Chloe is coming up on exams in her master's program in social work and is also stressed about how busy her boyfriend Josh has been at Simmer, where he is head chef. Her best friend is very hormonal from her pregnancy and planned marriage to Owen, who has given up his wayward ways and now has a "straight" job as a driver/account manager for a seafood distributor. When a waitress at Simmer ends up dead in the back of Owen's refrigerated truck, ...more
Diane  Morasco
Turn Up the Heat is the 3rd adventure in the savory Gourmet Girl culinary mystery series by noted mother-daughter scribes, Jessica Conant-Park & Susan Conant.

Turn Up the Heat shines a light on the restaurant industry & what goes on behind the scenes in our neighborhood kitchens by showcasing the lush, elegant, Simmer.

Jessica & Susan do a steller job sketching restaurant life & this is the best installment yet.

Turn Up the Heat is on fire w/ juicy tidbits on what makes or breaks a
Kimberly
Book 3 in A Gourmet Girl Mystery.
Chloe and Josh are still going strong, even though they don't get to spend much alone time together. Simmer, the restaurant where Josh is a chef at, keeps him busy working long, hard hours. They just opened a new patio area and are really starting to make a name for themselves. Especially when Leandra, on of Simmer's waitresses with an attitude, is found dead in the back of the fish suppliers truck on morning. Chloe finds herself with quite a full plate as she tr
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Chloe still barely sees her boyfriend, Josh, whose job as a chef keeps him extremely busy. Sometimes the only way to see him is to eat at his restaurant, Simmer.

After eating dinner there one night with a group of friends, Owen's forced to leave his ride parked in the alley behind the restaurant. The next morning, Chloe and Owen return to fetch his truck, but, much to their dismay, they discover the body of their waitress, Leandra, in the back - mu
Pam
03/09/08
TITLE/AUTHOR: TURN UP THE HEAT by Jessican Conant-Park & Susan Conant
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/2008/250 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #3 in Gourmet Girl series
TIME/PLACE: Present/Boston
CHARACTERS: Chloe Carter/grad student Josh Driscoll/Chloe's boyfriend, chef at trendy new restaurnat Simmer
FIRST LINES: Early May in Boston. There's nothing else like it.

COMMENTS: library book. Light, fun, entertaining. An interesting look into the restaurant biz, a little shocked at the am
Lydia
After reading the first in this series, I was sincerely disappointed by this addition. The writing was not nearly as engaging and the plotting was poor.
Dlora
I like this series but this third book didn't do much for me. It didn't describe the life of restaurant chefs and cooking enough, the motivation for the murder seemed weak, there wasn't much suspense or tension or even very good logic in figuring out the murderer, the character development between the main character and her boyfriend was anemic, it left a lot of threads hanging (for the next book?), and I just must have been in a bad mood--the writing seemed weak compared to the book I just read ...more
Erin
I picked this book up as a remainder from the dollar store and I can see why. I couldn't get past the first chapter or so, because what sounded like a promising synopsis began with stereotypical characters and pure drivel. My time is too valuable to waste on bad writing. Thank the gods for paperback swap!
Connie
I liked the characters and storyline of this book. When a waitress is found dead in the back of a delivery truck it seems everyone who works at the restaurant are suspects. We see some of what happens with the cooks and wait staff getting everything ready for the day. Also there are some great recipes at the end of the book. What I didn't care for is the fact that everyone thinks its ok to steal from the restaurant.

FTC disclosure: I bought my copy of this book.
Mascanlon
Cute new series by mother and daughter Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant of dog and ct lover fame. Billed as a Gourmet Girl Mystery (the daughter is married to a chef) this story centers around the boyfriend chef's restaurant and the nasty server who gets strangled by an apron tie early on. If you love delectable food descriptions and recipes that sound wonderful while promising a lot of work, this is a good beach, bus pass the time read.
Barbara
This is the third of a series of very fun books. They are perfect for summer beach reads, for winter ski chalet reads, for anytime you want to read something that will a) keep your attention; b) be fun; c) is well-written and d) surprises you with the ending. These are not the sort of mysteries where you will easily guess "whodunit."
Kelly24
I really like how this series isn't about an amateur sleuth interfering with the police investigation. This is a nice refreshing change and I really like reading about the characters lives. I also like the bits of humor that is thrown in. A really great series. I can't wait to read the next book!
Kim
This book was pretty lame. It was okay, until the very end and then it felt like the author couldn't come up with a reason for the person to commit the crime and just used the first thing she thought of. Please, if you value your mind DON'T READ IT!!
Ala
A very entertaining mystery without a lot of the heavy drama. It's mystery chick-lit written from the perspective of an amateur sleuth. There's plenty of action, some suspense, a little confusion, but it all makes for a delightful read.
Skye
I didn't like this one as much as the other two. The reason for the murder was just a little ridiculous to me. However, it kept with the same story line. There's never much romance in these books but somehow she keeps it going.
I'm so happy to finally be able to read the rest of these. Even if the library did send me #s 3 and 4 when I have yet to read #2. The gaps are easy to fill in. I really enjoy this series. It's fun, uncomplicated, easy to read.
Carmen
I'm totally enjoying this series.

It's fun, light, includes lots of good foodie stuff (oh yeah!)...and never in a million years would I have guessed the, um, motive for all the mayhem this time. LOL.

Carol
I enjoy the characters in this series. They're all a little quirky. The motive for the murder was not really believable, though. I have to try a couple of the recipes in the back, especially the calamari one.
Katie Jane
This is the third title in this series, and not nearly as good as the first one. And, since I'm not a foodie, I find all the recipe details throughout the narrative nothing but distracting.
Beth
Cute cozy mystery set in Boston and the restaurant world. Enjoyed it and found the insights into a chefs life interesting but I wasn't overwhelmed with the prose.
Dawn
I'm really enjoying this series. Fast, easy read, but FUN. I rarely find good mysteries that make me laugh out loud at times.
Melissa
cute books, I am enjoying the "kitchen" mysteries especially with my chef husband and love of the Food Network channel!
Lora
Just an easy breezy summer read. Think the B version of Stephanie Plum/Janet Evanovich but with a bonus food factor.
Mimi Arcala
Pretty good...it took me a little longer to read this book due to my other obligations, but I enjoyed it.
Chris
Really was very good with a pretty surprising ending! I think I'll have to read more in this mystery series!
Jen
Pretty good book. Had some boring spots but I enjoyed it overall.
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Prime Time

NOTE: writes YA novels under Jessica Park.

Jessica Conant-Park graduated from Macalester College and has a master of Social Work degree from Boston College. She is married to Chef William Park. Steamed is the first collaboration in her new series with her mother, mystery author Susan Conant.

Books:
Cook the Books, February 2011
Cook the Books, March 2010
Fed Up, January 2010
Turn Up the Heat, February 2
More about Jessica Conant-Park...

A Gourmet Girl Mystery (5 books)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Simmer Down (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #2)
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
  • Cook the Books (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #5)
Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1) Simmer Down (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #2) Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4) Cook the Books (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #5)