Start by marking “"G" is for Grafton: The World of Kinsey Millhone... Revised and Updated through "O" IS FOR OUTLAW” as Want to Read:

Finally in paperback and now fully revised and updated through "O" Is for Outlaw, the reader's companion to the world of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone

With the cooperation of Sue Grafton, who provided unprecedented access to her working journals, authors Natalie Hevener Kaufman and Carol McGinnis Kay have created a fully dimensional biography of Kinsey Millhone that will an
Published September 1st 2000 by Holt Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about "G" is for Grafton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "G" is for Grafton

Carolyn McBride
Jan 01, 2017 Carolyn McBride rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was pretty good. It re-ignited my admiration for the character and my love of the genre.
The only reason it got 4 stars instead of 5 was the format of the book. At times, the way the authors presented the various sections annoyed me. But that's no fault of theirs, just not my preference.
Overall...a great book!
Michael
Jan 16, 2017 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: financial
Quite an interesting read. As a lover of Sue Grafton's novels, this book summed up a lot of things about Kinsey Millhone. Interesting insights.
Peter Herrmann
I didn't realize there was an updated version (through 'O') when I read this earlier published version. The best part was the final two chapters: one re Grafton's writing style and the other re her place in the genre of mystery writing. Both chapters were excellent; quite insightful and quite informative. Everything prior to those two chapters was about the minutiae of Kinsey Milhone's life ... and although meticulously researched and documented (as it appeared to me), turned out quite boring .. ...more
K1d2
Mar 10, 2013 K1d2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting analysis of Kinsey Millhone, her cases and the other characters involved in the Sue Grafton series. The author's attention to detail shows soe inconsistencies in the series, but mostly serves as a great review of the stories, people, places involved in A through M. I started reading this book when I was on J and realized it would be wiser and more enjoyable to read through M then come back to this book, so that is what I did. I am glad, because details a out whodunit in those stor ...more
Sandy
Nov 29, 2012 Sandy rated it it was ok
Sue Grafton is one of my favorite authors. This book was written by two women about Grafton's character Kinsey Millhone. It ended up to be a 466 page book report and it was really tough to get through. I will even admit I skipped the last 20 pages because I just couldn't hang in there any longer. However, some of it was very interesting, but the rest of it was boring as hell! Would not recommend unless you are a very big fan!
Susan
A fun biography of Sue Grafton's fictional character Kinsey Millhone, written at the time "M is for Malice" was published. Rather than a birth-to-present narrative of Kinsey's life, it's organized by categories, such as locations, relationships, family. Explores how Kinsey's character develops from A to M. Explains how streets and landmarks in Santa Barbara correspond to "Santa Teresa". A nice reminder of early books in the series.
Susan Sullivan
Dec 06, 2015 Susan Sullivan rated it liked it
I read an earlier edition of this book that went up to M is for Malice. While well-written, the minutia about Kinsey didn't keep my interest. However, the last three chapters covering some of Grafton's biography, her writing style, and her contribution to the detective genre, was absolutely fascinating. I found myself wishing the entire book had been more like the last three chapters.

But some Kinsey Milhone fans might like the chapters covering minutia.
Nicole
Jun 10, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
This book was such a fun read, after being a big follower of not only Sue Grafton, but of Kinsey Milhone. I hated that they were tearing apart all the inconsistencies in the stories, but at the same time it was fascinating and I was riveted. This is a great book to read if you are big Grafton fan. But understand before you read it, she's human - mistakes are made and Natalie Kaufman points them all out.
Ruth
May 31, 2007 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A helpful guide to the Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton. If you've had trouble keeping things straight, or have taken a break from the series and want to get back into, this will help you to get back on track. It was published in 2000, however, so only goes up to a certain point.
Andy Plonka
Aug 04, 2014 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
This is a great look at Kinsey Millhone and how she came to be. It is dated however and only deals with the series through M. I assume the authors of this book will update it after Grafton finishes the next three books.
Barbara Schultz
Oct 29, 2015 Barbara Schultz rated it really liked it
Interesting background on Kinsey. I will always remember she was born on May 5, 1950 and her parents died when she was 5.
This was not written by Sue Grafton by she did give her cooperation to the authors.
Gretchen
Aug 23, 2014 Gretchen is currently reading it
Fun to have, I was reading a library copy and decided to buy. Not organized the way I would have, but great memory jogger and a nice way to spend some extra time with a character I enjoy.
Bayneeta
Dec 12, 2013 Bayneeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Read several chapters carefully and then skimmed the rest. In depth look at many of the books. Useful comments on Grafton's writing style and place among detective writers.
Cathy Hannigan
Jul 11, 2013 Cathy Hannigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YES
LIKED it - added more insight to Kinsey, since i was fixin' ta re-read & read for the first time - TOO BAD, it stopped at "M" is for Malice
Linda
Sep 08, 2008 Linda added it
A nice companion book to read more about the world of Kinsey Millhone and to get a better idea of the timeline of the books.
Shirl
Oct 09, 2012 Shirl rated it really liked it
An inside look at Kinsey Millhone and what makes her tick. If you want to know more about Kinsey then this is a definite read.
Kg4jbj
Nov 05, 2007 Kg4jbj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book is a demographic of Kinsey Millhone, the detective of Sue Grafton's mysteries, based on the writings. Find the layout of her apartment, the foods she likes, her neighborhood, and more.
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Melani
Melani rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Suzette
Suzette rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Bonnie Warhol
Bonnie Warhol rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Lost Mermaid
Oct 01, 2015 Lost Mermaid rated it it was amazing
If you're a Grafton fan or a Kinsey fan this is a must read. It is so much fun !!!
Cat.
Cat. rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Peter J
Peter J rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Sus3an Borden
Sus3an Borden rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2009
Diana Radil
Diana Radil rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Ann Mansur
Ann Mansur rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Memorial Hall Murder (Homer Kelly, #3)
  • In the Absence of Angels
  • Get A Life! 8 Steps to Create Your Own Life List
  • The Tulip
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • Mary Berry's Baking Bible: Over 250 Classic Recipes
  • Knock 'Em Dead 2016: The Ultimate Job Search Guide
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • The Unmumsy Mum
  • The Complete Patricia Cornwell Companion
  • Station X: The Codebreakers of Bletchley Park
  • Orkneyinga Saga: The History of the Earls of Orkney
  • A Poison That Leaves No Trace: With Mystery Jigsaw Puzzle (Bepuzzled Classics)
  • Bad Girls: Sirens, Jezebels, Murderesses, Thieves and Other Female Villains