Start by marking “Failing Test (The Shadow Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Failing Test (The Shadow Series, #1)

Failing Test (The Shadow Series #1)

You know him, but you can't remember his name. He is the one that is always there, in the background, all but invisible to those roaming the hallways. What if he had a secret? What if it was a secret that even he didn't know?

Test Davis has always been a blur to those around him. He's a shadow like a million other kids--not smart enough for the academic team, not beast eno
Published April 14th 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Failing Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Failing Test

Nicole Storey
Aug 31, 2013 Nicole Storey rated it it was ok
I really liked the idea of this book. It would have made a great plot. However, the characters' dialog was way over exaggerated and unreal. Their emotions swung from one extreme to the next in two sentences. There were many editing errors in the book. I could go on and on...

I realize this is fiction, however, in order to have a GREAT book, at least part of it must have some basis in reality. You have to make the readers BELIEVE that your story could really happen, no matter how off the wall it i
Jaidis Shaw
Nov 30, 2010 Jaidis Shaw rated it it was amazing
I recently finished reading Failing Test by J.M. Pierce and I must admit that I was a little hesitant by the description because it sounded like one of those books that has an awesome idea but could easily be taken in the wrong direction or have what I like to refer to as the 'sparklyness', which in my opinion is not a good thing to have, but I still found myself intrigued by it. I originally planned on sitting down and reading a few pages, just to get a feel for it, and then come back to it lat ...more
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
My Review
5 Roses

Every loner teen-age guy dreams of having super-powers, and being a hero. They daydream about that pretty girl who doesn't seem to ever take notice of them. They have one friend who's been there since Kindergarten. They hate their home life, and can't wait to turn 18 so they can get out on their own. They have a car that's an extension of themselves, that they love til the end, even if others spit at it. Sound familiar? Well, that's Test's life in a nutshell. Til now...

What do you do, when you s
Maki
I didn't like Failing Test as much as I thought I would, based on the synopsis. It definitely had its moments, but overall I just wasn't very impressed with the book.

The biggest problem I had with the book was the reaction of the law enforcement when they hear about Test's powers. For instance, he accidentally reveals his powers to a bunch of his classmates when he defends his girlfriend from some of her old friends, who weren't happy about her leaving their clique to date Test. He smashes up a
Dee Pierce
Sep 10, 2010 Dee Pierce rated it it was amazing
This book is a phenomenal reading experience that takes its audience on an engaging and inspiring journey from the very first page until the final conclusion. The author grips the reader's interest by offering a compelling storyline combined with intriguing and introspective characters. The writer presents a realistic and colorful canvas that enables his audience to connect and relate to the all too familiar teenage emotions, inner struggles and personal triumphs that are encountered during that ...more
Rebecca Graf
Aug 12, 2016 Rebecca Graf rated it really liked it
What if you suddenly had super powers that were dangerous and scared you? A young teen named Test finds that he does and it will change his life forever. He tries to understand his powers as he tries to keep it hidden but discovers that is easier said than done.
I found this a very interesting read. The fact that the young boy had no idea had me intrigued. Also, he was a typical teen struggling with his emotions. I loved how the character was developed and so realistic. His emotions and that of h
Sara
Mar 26, 2011 Sara rated it it was ok
I loved the premise of the book, but it failed to deliver for me. I felt like I was caught in an endless cycle of Test getting angry, saving someone, scaring them, and then convincing everyone it would all be okay. I wasn't sure I would ever slog past all of the Nicole business and discovering powers business to get to any actual plot. The romance and dialogue seemed forced. It was a fast read; if you're into the supernatural teen stuff, you'll probably really like it. I was hoping for more.
Lisa Gibson
Jun 18, 2010 Lisa Gibson rated it liked it
The story of Test Davis pulled me in right away. I became absorbed into what was going on with him, would he wind up with Nicole, would he and his mother mend their tenuous relationship? To be honest the book was a little heavy on the description, which made it somewhat long as well. I was grateful that the story was as strong as it was. The character of Cliff, who comes towards the later portion of the book was fantastic. Overall, I enjoyed it
Mj Hangge
Jun 03, 2010 Mj Hangge rated it it was amazing
Fabulous first novel by a fantastic novelist. JM Pierce has a grasp of drama and suspense which might just grasp his readers by the short hairs on the back of their necks. Characters are lively and fleshed out, dramatic scenes are dramatic, and build ups are both interesting and rich. The novel held my interest from cover to cover and I'm eagerly awaiting the next story to come out of the mind of a future NYTimes best selling novelist.
Nephilim
Apr 14, 2013 Nephilim rated it it was amazing
I've now read the three books in the Shadow Series and I have to say I love them all. I was a bit hesitant at first about reading Failing Test. However, once I started reading it I couldn't put it down and could not wait to start the next book in the series. The only disappointment I had after reading these books was that I had read the three of them and there was no more.
Lisa
Jun 04, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice fresh summit read

I enjoyed a beach reading while scores of teens walked. Always wanted to test the powers that Test possess. Would I pass as well?
Aundie
Jun 23, 2010 Aundie rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book full of creativity and is full of excitement.
Jamie
Failing Test is like a thrill ride that is over before you are ready to get exit the ride. I was drawn in from the start and still wanting more at the dramatic ending.

Test Davis is a somewhat normal teenager who tries to stay in the shadows. That is until his crush Nicole tells him that she has been interested in him for a long time too. They have a sweet romance that quickly becomes complicated when Test discovers and reveals that he has supernatural powers. Test has trouble controlling his ne
Tessa
Jun 06, 2010 Tessa rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book by J.M. and I absolutely loved this story. It made me feel as if I were actually right there watching everything happen. The main character was always "highlighted", never muted out by others. I won't tell the story b/c I, myself, am not a fan of knowing the entirety of a book before I read it...so I won't spoil it for anyone else.

This is a story basically of choices, consequences, thrilling moments, heartfelt moments...and the like. While reading this novel, I was never th
Pam
Jan 31, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
Maria Hooley
May 31, 2010 Maria Hooley rated it really liked it
Failing test excels at an aspect of the superhero genre that isn't typically tackled. Most of us would love to super powers, but we don't think about the consequences of those powers and what they would mean to those we love. While Test is a good person, the power within him can be destructive, and it changes the landscape of his life.

While there are many vampire novels to choose from, Failing Test stands on its own merits as a coming-of-age story mixed with a wonderful what-if scenario, proving
Imogen Rose
Aug 11, 2010 Imogen Rose rated it really liked it
Just as teenager Test Davis delves into a blossoming romance with his long time crush, Nicole, he discovers that he has supernatural abilities. His powers are so intense that he struggles to control them, exploding his life into turmoil, violence and angst with the result that he becomes a fugitive running from the authorities while coming to terms with his powers. Will his romance with Nicole survive? Will he be able to come to terms with his powers and learn to control them? Will the world be ...more
Audra
Jul 28, 2012 Audra rated it liked it
This was a fantasy twist to a story of finding who you really are. The story was about a teenage boy, Test. Test has abilities that he knows nothing about until he is overwhelmed by emotion after being rejected by the girl he likes, Nicole, only to find out later she really did have feelings for him. As the book continues he learns what he is capable of and how to control it. Unfortunately at a party he runs into trouble with Nicole's old friends and his secret is exposed. He must decide whether ...more
Eileen
May 24, 2012 Eileen rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. And I did, at first. But then I kept reading and, well, I was able to put it down several times.

I liked Test until I didn't. I couldn't stand Nicole. And Mark and Marcy were one-dimensional; it was actually a painful read at times. In fact, most of the characters were bland. There were some good moments, but there were just as many parts that were either unrealistic (and I'm not talking about his superpowers here) or cliche.

The ending was adequate. Not what I w
Apr 19, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
WOW. This book was amazing. I know I say that alot but I usually don't read something unless it catches my interest. Needless to say Failing Test did just that. I was hooked from the start. Test goes through so much. He goes from being so ordinary to having his life completely turned upside down and ruined. I like how the love story in this isn't your typical fairy tale romance. They have to go through so much to be together. Even then it looks as though they won't last. This book was so captiva ...more
Dawn Judd
Feb 09, 2011 Dawn Judd rated it it was amazing
Mr. Pierce gave my daughter a copy of this book last fall when he attended her book fair. Try as I might, I couldn't get her to give it up so I could read it. Eventually I decided it wasn't going to happen and just ordered it on Kindle. I wish I had done it sooner. This was such a great book. It moved me in a way that I can't begin to describe. It is an exciting but heartbreaking tale, but the author leaves us with a glimmer of hope and a promise of a sequel. I loved the writing. It had such an ...more
Ken
Mar 04, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured reading this book

I was reading a series of books but had to take a break from it to read this book. It fired my imagination and I have quickly read this book and purchased the next one! I like how it did not sugar coat what the governments reaction would be to someone with powers like Test! Government would want to control it or kill it, no middle ground sadly. Nice page to price it got this reader hooked! Huge bonus all the books are out in this series! No there is no cliff hanger at
Liquid Frost
Oct 24, 2013 Liquid Frost rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Although YA, more obvious with the young boy/girl relations, this was an enjoyable freebie. Test, a 'blend-in' develops unique power and struggles with control. He's caught in a rather bleak life, finally dabbles with a girlfriend, has to deal with bullies, and THEN his world is truly turned upside down. He picks up a friend along the way, but his inner conflict keeps him lonely. I don't want to give away too much of the story, so vague I am.

Good kid + super power x conflict + angst = fun read.
Felix
Jul 05, 2015 Felix rated it did not like it
Honestly, just an other case of buying a troyan horse. Looking awesome from the outside but once you start reading it it is just a good idear with nothing behind it.
I description had me really interested but it is done so poorly and I am not even looking out for editing errors. The characters, emotions or dialogs don't even try to feel real. The book has a good plot but that is the only thing it has going for it.
I hope the author does rewrite it someday once he has gained the ability to let the
Heather
I liked this book even though most people hated Test because they were afraid of him, even though the good guy did not get the girl, even though he goes off into the sun set sad and alone. Maybe "like" isn't the correct word cuz I feel bad for Test that he goes off alone, that his mother was a punk until the last minute, that the only man that was a father to him only made his acquaintance for a few days. It's a sad book really. Sad.
Judy
Mar 04, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
My Review: This is pretty good young adult paranormal read. I like the concept of the shy boy with the powers. Maybe a little cliche but still enough new to keep it original. Some of the conversations were a little stilted and I never felt real involved with the characters emotions. However I am intrigued enough to want to read the next book. There were lots of editing mistakes. I give this 3 stars.
Ugochi
Feb 04, 2012 Ugochi rated it liked it
It seemed like an intriguing premise when I first started reading. What would it be like to one day discover you had superpowers? However, I am half way through the book, and I am bored. I just can not finish this book. It moves a little too slow, and the characters are not particularly interesting. All the characters are very one dimensional, and the plot line is repetitive. This book just didn't work for me.
MarsianMan
Jul 12, 2012 MarsianMan rated it it was ok
I liked the main character--an intelligent, sweet teenager--in the beginning of the novel. Then he develops super powers and turns into a raging, violent ass. I had a hard time getting into this novel. the story has a lot of potential and seems like it would be a book I would really like but the implementation is disappointing. I would probably still give the second book a shot in case the author improves.
Erin
Apr 06, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
I don't think the book description was even close to explaining this book. Test is a sweet kid that you sympathize for and find yourself cheering him on. It's seems nothing can go right for the guy even when he wins. I found myself teary eyed at the end. I don't think I want to read anymore. It's was too upsetting how it ended. But it was a good book nonetheless.
mj Hangge
Apr 17, 2012 mj Hangge rated it it was amazing
This was JMPierce's first books that I read, but it wasn't the last. I enjoyed the quick flow of the book and Test's character development. I engaged with the characters and could feel their failures and their triumphs. From start to finish, I couldn't put Failing Test down and I haven't stopped reading JM's books since!
Congratulations!!!!!!! 2 23 Aug 24, 2011 07:20AM
  • Dark Matter Heart (Cor Griffin Bloodsuckers, #1)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • The Search for Artemis (The Chronicles of Landon Wicker, #1)
  • The Beast Within (The Elite, #1)
  • Legion of Bats
  • Drinking Life (Keeper of the Water, #1)
  • The Vampire Underground (Grisly High #1)
  • The Twin Prophecies: Rebirth
  • The Charm (Olivia Hart and the Gifted Program, #1)
  • Atlantis Quest (Atlantis Rising, #2)
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Children, #1)
  • Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird
  • Morning Stars (The Noctivagas Chronicle, #2)
  • The Gifts
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • The Turning Tides (Marina's Tales, #4)
4020794
J.M. Pierce is a simple midwestern man with a creative side who has found writing as his primary outlet. He lives happily with his wife and two children in rural Kansas and finds happiness in a good cup of coffee, a Kansas sunrise, a good book, the sound of his daughter singing, his son's laughter, and his wife's eyes. Everything else is gravy.
More about J.M. Pierce...

The Shadow Series (5 books)
  • A Shadow's Light (The Shadow Series, #2)
  • The Memoirs of Clifford T. Johnston: A Shadow Series Novelette
  • The Reverence of One (The Shadow Series, #3)
  • Axiom Theory (The Shadow Series, #4)

“When daylight is here i dream of the night,
The stars of a country sky that shine so bright.
A night sky without clouds, for the moon to hide under,
Revealing every twinkle and every beam, of the Milky Way's wonder.
I grow sad in the morning,
And i pay the day no mind.
Every time i see the light coming,
I know the sunset's not far behind.”
2 likes