Failing Test (The Shadow Series, #1)

Failing Test (The Shadow Series #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  45 reviews
You know him, but you can't remember his name. He is the one that is always there, in the background, all but invisible to those roaming the hallways. What if he had a secret? What if it was a secret that even he didn't know?

Test Davis has always been a blur to those around him. He's a shadow like a million other kids--not smart enough for the academic team, not beast eno...more
Published April 14th 2010 by Createspace

Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingFate by Amanda HockingTorn by Amanda HockingFlutter by Amanda Hocking
Self Published Young Adult Books
223rd out of 1,272 books — 2,004 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherTurn Coat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
255th out of 497 books — 676 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaidis Shaw
I recently finished reading Failing Test by J.M. Pierce and I must admit that I was a little hesitant by the description because it sounded like one of those books that has an awesome idea but could easily be taken in the wrong direction or have what I like to refer to as the 'sparklyness', which in my opinion is not a good thing to have, but I still found myself intrigued by it. I originally planned on sitting down and reading a few pages, just to get a feel for it, and then come back to it lat...more
Nicole Storey
I really liked the idea of this book. It would have made a great plot. However, the characters' dialog was way over exaggerated and unreal. Their emotions swung from one extreme to the next in two sentences. There were many editing errors in the book. I could go on and on...

I realize this is fiction, however, in order to have a GREAT book, at least part of it must have some basis in reality. You have to make the readers BELIEVE that your story could really happen, no matter how off the wall it i...more
☯Desert Rose❀
Every loner teen-age guy dreams of having super-powers, and being a hero. They daydream about that pretty girl who doesn't seem to ever take notice of them. They have one friend who's been there since Kindergarten. They hate their home life, and can't wait to turn 18 so they can get out on their own. They have a car that's an extension of themselves, that they love til the end, even if others spit at it. Sound familiar? Well, that's Test's life in a nutshell. Til now...

What do you do, when you s...more
Dee Pierce
This book is a phenomenal reading experience that takes its audience on an engaging and inspiring journey from the very first page until the final conclusion. The author grips the reader's interest by offering a compelling storyline combined with intriguing and introspective characters. The writer presents a realistic and colorful canvas that enables his audience to connect and relate to the all too familiar teenage emotions, inner struggles and personal triumphs that are encountered during that...more
Sara
I loved the premise of the book, but it failed to deliver for me. I felt like I was caught in an endless cycle of Test getting angry, saving someone, scaring them, and then convincing everyone it would all be okay. I wasn't sure I would ever slog past all of the Nicole business and discovering powers business to get to any actual plot. The romance and dialogue seemed forced. It was a fast read; if you're into the supernatural teen stuff, you'll probably really like it. I was hoping for more.
Halita Wilson
I am very much enjoying the Failling Test book that I have won by J.M. Pierce. He is a very talented writer and his work is very much an adventure. He writes in such a way to allow you to feel the emotions of all the characters in the story. I feel as if I can relate from time to time about each one. I wish you the best of luck with your series, J.M. Thank you for allowing me the chance to review it and I definately look forward to see where Test's journey keeps going.

Halita
Lisa Gibson
The story of Test Davis pulled me in right away. I became absorbed into what was going on with him, would he wind up with Nicole, would he and his mother mend their tenuous relationship? To be honest the book was a little heavy on the description, which made it somewhat long as well. I was grateful that the story was as strong as it was. The character of Cliff, who comes towards the later portion of the book was fantastic. Overall, I enjoyed it
Mj Hangge
Fabulous first novel by a fantastic novelist. JM Pierce has a grasp of drama and suspense which might just grasp his readers by the short hairs on the back of their necks. Characters are lively and fleshed out, dramatic scenes are dramatic, and build ups are both interesting and rich. The novel held my interest from cover to cover and I'm eagerly awaiting the next story to come out of the mind of a future NYTimes best selling novelist.
Nephilim
I've now read the three books in the Shadow Series and I have to say I love them all. I was a bit hesitant at first about reading Failing Test. However, once I started reading it I couldn't put it down and could not wait to start the next book in the series. The only disappointment I had after reading these books was that I had read the three of them and there was no more.
Aundie
This is a wonderful book full of creativity and is full of excitement.
Maki Kotone
I didn't like Failing Test as much as I thought I would, based on the synopsis. It definitely had its moments, but overall I just wasn't very impressed with the book.

The biggest problem I had with the book was the reaction of the law enforcement when they hear about Test's powers. For instance, he accidentally reveals his powers to a bunch of his classmates when he defends his girlfriend from some of her old friends, who weren't happy about her leaving their clique to date Test. He smashes up a...more
Tessa L
I was sent this book by J.M. and I absolutely loved this story. It made me feel as if I were actually right there watching everything happen. The main character was always "highlighted", never muted out by others. I won't tell the story b/c I, myself, am not a fan of knowing the entirety of a book before I read it...so I won't spoil it for anyone else.

This is a story basically of choices, consequences, thrilling moments, heartfelt moments...and the like. While reading this novel, I was never th...more
Pam Steinke
Judy
My Review: This is pretty good young adult paranormal read. I like the concept of the shy boy with the powers. Maybe a little cliche but still enough new to keep it original. Some of the conversations were a little stilted and I never felt real involved with the characters emotions. However I am intrigued enough to want to read the next book. There were lots of editing mistakes. I give this 3 stars.
Maria Hooley
Failing test excels at an aspect of the superhero genre that isn't typically tackled. Most of us would love to super powers, but we don't think about the consequences of those powers and what they would mean to those we love. While Test is a good person, the power within him can be destructive, and it changes the landscape of his life.

While there are many vampire novels to choose from, Failing Test stands on its own merits as a coming-of-age story mixed with a wonderful what-if scenario, proving...more
Imogen Rose
Just as teenager Test Davis delves into a blossoming romance with his long time crush, Nicole, he discovers that he has supernatural abilities. His powers are so intense that he struggles to control them, exploding his life into turmoil, violence and angst with the result that he becomes a fugitive running from the authorities while coming to terms with his powers. Will his romance with Nicole survive? Will he be able to come to terms with his powers and learn to control them? Will the world be...more
Audra
This was a fantasy twist to a story of finding who you really are. The story was about a teenage boy, Test. Test has abilities that he knows nothing about until he is overwhelmed by emotion after being rejected by the girl he likes, Nicole, only to find out later she really did have feelings for him. As the book continues he learns what he is capable of and how to control it. Unfortunately at a party he runs into trouble with Nicole's old friends and his secret is exposed. He must decide whether...more
Eileen
I really wanted to like this book. And I did, at first. But then I kept reading and, well, I was able to put it down several times.

I liked Test until I didn't. I couldn't stand Nicole. And Mark and Marcy were one-dimensional; it was actually a painful read at times. In fact, most of the characters were bland. There were some good moments, but there were just as many parts that were either unrealistic (and I'm not talking about his superpowers here) or cliche.

The ending was adequate. Not what I w...more
WOW. This book was amazing. I know I say that alot but I usually don't read something unless it catches my interest. Needless to say Failing Test did just that. I was hooked from the start. Test goes through so much. He goes from being so ordinary to having his life completely turned upside down and ruined. I like how the love story in this isn't your typical fairy tale romance. They have to go through so much to be together. Even then it looks as though they won't last. This book was so captiva...more
Dawn Judd
Mr. Pierce gave my daughter a copy of this book last fall when he attended her book fair. Try as I might, I couldn't get her to give it up so I could read it. Eventually I decided it wasn't going to happen and just ordered it on Kindle. I wish I had done it sooner. This was such a great book. It moved me in a way that I can't begin to describe. It is an exciting but heartbreaking tale, but the author leaves us with a glimmer of hope and a promise of a sequel. I loved the writing. It had such an...more
ReaderNation
Although YA, more obvious with the young boy/girl relations, this was an enjoyable freebie. Test, a 'blend-in' develops unique power and struggles with control. He's caught in a rather bleak life, finally dabbles with a girlfriend, has to deal with bullies, and THEN his world is truly turned upside down. He picks up a friend along the way, but his inner conflict keeps him lonely. I don't want to give away too much of the story, so vague I am.

Good kid + super power x conflict + angst = fun read.
Heather
I liked this book even though most people hated Test because they were afraid of him, even though the good guy did not get the girl, even though he goes off into the sun set sad and alone. Maybe "like" isn't the correct word cuz I feel bad for Test that he goes off alone, that his mother was a punk until the last minute, that the only man that was a father to him only made his acquaintance for a few days. It's a sad book really. Sad.
MarsianMan
I liked the main character--an intelligent, sweet teenager--in the beginning of the novel. Then he develops super powers and turns into a raging, violent ass. I had a hard time getting into this novel. the story has a lot of potential and seems like it would be a book I would really like but the implementation is disappointing. I would probably still give the second book a shot in case the author improves.
Ugochi
It seemed like an intriguing premise when I first started reading. What would it be like to one day discover you had superpowers? However, I am half way through the book, and I am bored. I just can not finish this book. It moves a little too slow, and the characters are not particularly interesting. All the characters are very one dimensional, and the plot line is repetitive. This book just didn't work for me.
Read for your future!
Please read Sarah's Review at:

Check out our awesome interview with J.M. Pearce!
Millie
I just finished Failing Test and I must have liked it since I finished in 2 days. I have to agree with another reviewer about the way the authorities reacted to Tests superpowers, I just told myself that someone must have caught video on their phone because otherwise it doesnt make much sense to me. Other then that I really enjoyed it and would like to read the next one.
Erin
I don't think the book description was even close to explaining this book. Test is a sweet kid that you sympathize for and find yourself cheering him on. It's seems nothing can go right for the guy even when he wins. I found myself teary eyed at the end. I don't think I want to read anymore. It's was too upsetting how it ended. But it was a good book nonetheless.
Kerri
I really liked the unique story-line in this book. I just feel that at times the emotions of the main characters were totally the opposite of what I thought they should be. It was very distracting. One second they would be happy the next they would be angry then they would feel bad. Ultimately I think all this book needs to be great- is a good editor.
Emilie Mcdonald
The first book in a series about a teenage boy who discovers that he has "powers". The source of his powers are still unknown although he has had them all his life according to his mother.

There's an incredibly rushed love story between him and a girl that have apparently both been secretly crushing on one another for at least ten years.
mj Hangge
This was JMPierce's first books that I read, but it wasn't the last. I enjoyed the quick flow of the book and Test's character development. I engaged with the characters and could feel their failures and their triumphs. From start to finish, I couldn't put Failing Test down and I haven't stopped reading JM's books since!
Congratulations!!!!!!! 2 22 Aug 24, 2011 07:20AM
  • Dark Matter Heart (Cor Griffin Bloodsuckers, #1)
  • The Ultimate Sacrifice (The Gifted Teens, #1)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Drinking Life (Keeper of the Water, #1)
  • Blood Calling (Blood Calling, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Nevermore, #1)
  • Sophie's Secret (Whispers, #1)
  • Dissever (Unbinding Fate, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • The Beast Within (The Elite, #1)
  • The Search for Artemis (The Chronicles of Landon Wicker, #1)
  • Cloak
  • Parallel (Travelers, #1)
  • Crystal & Bone (October Girls, #1)
  • Memory's Wake (Memory's Wake Trilogy, #1)
4020794
J.M. Pierce is a simple midwestern man with a creative side who has found writing as his primary outlet. He lives happily with his wife and two children in rural Kansas and finds happiness in a good cup of coffee, a Kansas sunrise, a good book, the sound of his daughter singing, his son's laughter, and his wife's eyes. Everything else is gravy.
More about J.M. Pierce...
A Shadow's Light (The Shadow Series, #2) The Reverence of One (The Shadow Series, #3) Before & Gone (The Chosen: Book #1) Duality The Memoirs of Clifford T. Johnston: A Shadow Series Novelette

“When daylight is here i dream of the night,
The stars of a country sky that shine so bright.
A night sky without clouds, for the moon to hide under,
Revealing every twinkle and every beam, of the Milky Way's wonder.
I grow sad in the morning,
And i pay the day no mind.
Every time i see the light coming,
I know the sunset's not far behind.”
2 likes