Start by marking “K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)” as Want to Read:
K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)

K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone #11)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  26,246 ratings  ·  347 reviews

Janice Kepler is on the way home from the support group she joined after the death of her beloved daughter, Lorna. When she sees a light on in the offices of Millhone Investigations, she believes it’s a sign…and decides to knock on the door.

Janice has waited long enough for Lorna’s case to pick up steam, and she is relieved when Kinsey Millhone agrees to finish the work

Mass Market Paperback, 292 pages
Published April 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about K is for Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about K is for Killer

Jenn
Maybe it's pointless to jump into reviewing this series midway through, but K is the first book in Grafton's alphabet so far that's seemed much different than the others. I've thoroughly enjoyed the highly devourable mysteries A-I; J is for Judgment left a sour taste in my mouth only insomuch as it trespassed into non-mystery territory at the end, when (spoiler!) protagonist detective Kinsey Millhone discovers, basically out of nowhere, that she has family living not too far away. Her reaction t ...more
Lisa
Ed
Except for the a little puzzling ending, this was a corker of another read. The procedural parts to the homicide investigation were in-depth and added to the appeal. Kinsey a tough-minded private eye with a sardonic wit makes for a sturdy protagonist throughout the alphabet series.
Gina
I would have given this book 3 stars based on the whole book but I gave it two for the ending. It was the worst ending for any of these Sue Grafton books I have read. It was very anti-climatic.
Jaret
Another good episode in the Kinsey Millhone series. The storyline was interesting and didn't have a lot of distractions taking away from it. I enjoyed following the cold case clues along with Kinsey and Grafton did a great job of sticking to the point. The ending was not what I expected, but gave a great view into Kinsey's developing character and I really liked it. My only complaint was that the motive behind the murder was not crystal clear and if you blinked you missed it. (Not good when your ...more
Em
Judy
Nov 11, 2012 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
"K" was a fun mystery, maybe the only one so far that left me feeling like I needed another chapter at the end. It did not detract from the story at all, but there were so many characters, suspects, and unknowns in this book, and I wanted to see a few more pieces of info, that's all. A really good read, and Kinsey definitely got involved with some characters in this tale of the nighttime world.

**SPOILER ALERT** I had wondered whether something might happen between Kinsey and Cheney.....
Ashley FL
This one was four stars for me all the way to the end . . . and then it just ended. No explanation for why the murder had been committed. Many of the plot threads were left hanging, and they weren't things that will come up again in later books. So I'm going with three stars: would definitely have been four if there had been a few pages that explained rather than just naming one of the characters as the killer.
Dianne
One of the Alphabet series in which Kinsey Milhone is asked to investigate a cold case, the death of beautiful Lorna Kepler.

I have read most of the series, and find them light relaxing reading. There is a little too much of Kinsey's life style at the expense of the plot, which can become repetitive. Is there an element of autobiography in her novels ?
The 11th book with Kinsey Millhone. This one has a lot of classic crime detective elements to it.

A mother comes to Kinsey's office and begs her to take the case of her dead daughter. Dead daughter had a secret life where she was a prostitute. Kinsey has to submerge herself in the night life of said prostitute in order to find out what happened.
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Janice Keppler can't believe her daughter Lorna met such an end and can't rest without getting to the bottom of what caused Lorna's death. Kinsey's heart goes out to Janice and soon she is off to end one mothers suffering. The series itself is rather by the numbers with no real surprises to the format. This entry however starts with a film noirish quality in how the case comes to Kinsey. It seems as if this is going to be a great twisty read but it seems there is where we parted ways and it actu ...more
Francie
I've been slowly making my way through Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, which I initially read as I cared for my infant daughter through middle of the night feedings almost three decades ago. Since I don't remember anything other than how much I enjoyed Kinsey Millhone, I've returned to this series to reacquaint myself with the delightful and determined PI and follow her through to the end of the alphabet. "K is for Killer" is a deeper, darker book than its predecessors. As Kinsey wrestles with ...more
Mike Mcnamara
I'm addicted to these books lately, having read a couple when I worked as a summer librarian years ago and picked up E is for Evidence at a used book sale a few years back, and starting again at G once I got my Kindle. Though they're "easy readers" and I've been mainly reading them as my "airplane"/"relaxation" fiction , there's something about Grafton's style that puts her more than a cut above other popular genre authors. I can't quite nail what it is, but if I could, maybe I'd be the successf ...more
Debra Kaitschuck
Rosabelle Purnama
This is my first Sue Grafton book that I read. Her book starts with the alphabet A, but I wasn't able to get my hands on the first book, so I started with this one, to get a feel of whether I like her books or not.

The story is about a private detective, Kinsey Milhone. In this book, Kinsey was approached by a mother whose daughter was found dead and would like to hire a private investigator to find her daughter's murderer.

The book started out okay. I quite enjoy it actually. It's kind of diffe
Randee Baty
Another home run for Sue Grafton. I loved this book but I almost hate to gush over it because that feels like it would go against the atmosphere of the book.

Kinsey has been asked to by a mother to investigate the death of her daughter on which the police have not been able to make much headway. From there Kinsey gets sucked into the life of the night people in Santa Teresa. She meets hookers, night djs, nurses that work the night shift and waitresses that work at night. Her own life gets turned
Kaykay Obi
This is my first Sue Grafton read, an interesting one. I liked the story, however, I wasn’t much drawn into the book. Somehow it lacked the kind of suspense I expected from a detective book. The pacing wasn’t too fast; it felt more like the recounting of an event, like reading a diary rather than a story. If anything disappointed me in the book, it was the end. Maybe I expected too much, maybe I expected action, but I wasn’t satisfied by the end. Questions were left unanswered. Like the reason f ...more
Emily
Whirlwind of a mystery/thriller. truly did not know who our culprit was and am still trying to puzzle out all the intricies of everyone involved and the motive. I've enjoyed J and K more than I remember enjoying the precious books, I felt the side characters were better fleshed out.
Brick ONeil
In this installment of the quirky gumshoe, Kinsey the perpetually perky detective with the fast tongue and faster gun takes on a Mother's quest to solve her daughter's murder.

As Kinsey delves into the young woman's recent history, she uncovers a seedy past that would make her mother blush. Prostitution, high stakes money and the mafia round out this tale, not to mention sibling jealousy and possible unfaithfulness.

This is what Sue does best: fully rounded characters, even if they only share a fe
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: Lorna Kepler was beautiful and willful, a loner who couldn't resist flirting with danger. Maybe that's what killed her.Her death had raised a host of tough questions. The cops suspected homicide, but they could find neither motive nor suspect. Even the means were mysterious: Lorna's body was so badly decomposed when it was discovered that they couldn't be certain she hadn't died of natural causes. In the way of overworked cops everywhere, the case was gradually shifted to the back burne ...more
Anne
Again....most enjoyable!!! :)
Missy Spady
One of my favourite Kinsey stories so far. Grafton had me guessing whodunnit until the last pages. I liked seeing Kinsey take on a maternal role and seek out the company of another female, especially one as young as Danielle. It was really sweet to see and I was bummed to see her lose that connection so quickly. I know Kinsey is a lone wolf and it makes telling her story difficult if she has to spend her time worrying about other people's feelings, but it really humanized her character for her t ...more
Alondra
4 Stars

Another satisfying mystery with our favorite busy-body, nosey, wise-ass; Kinsey Milhone.

I must say, this ending was most satisfying. Nice twists and turns throughout the story, with most of the characters being less than desirable and unrelatable... at least to me. I like tidy endings, especially when murder is involved. :)
Kelly
This book was an utter disappointment. So many questions were left unresolved at the end of the book and so many transitions and characters were dealt with so roughly... it felt like the author just wanted to be DONE with the story. She dropped me with this weak attempt. I loved the books right up through J - J was odd, dark, interesting... but was a clue as to what was coming in K. Where J was ended abruptly and with questions hanging, so was K. When I have time I will come back and add to this ...more
Benjamin Thomas
This series keeps moving right along and I'm enjoying the ride so far. Reading other reviews here it seems some people are put off by the ending but I liked it just fine. I don't need every little detail spelled out for me and I thought the lack of detail at the end only inspired my imagination to fill in the blanks. Really, though, everything that happened was well implied.

The procedural parts of solving the crime were well done, as usual, and kept me turning the pages. I also appreciate that t
Sue
Kinsey is working in her office one evening when there is a knock at the door. The woman, Janice Kepler, wants to talk to Kinsey about the investigation into Janice's daughter's death. Lorna had been found dead about 10 months ago and the police investigation had seemingly gone no where. Kinsey's investigation leads her into the night life prostitution world of Santa Theresa.
I read much of this over one weekend when I was content to read and have the humidifier going to clear up a head cold. P
Katie
I wanted so badly to give this book a higher rating. I really enjoyed the bulk of the story and then it just...ended. No closure, no explanation, no justice, just a vague, abstract epilogue at the very end. I should also point out that this was my first introduction to the Kinsey Millhone series, and I picked the WORST book to start with. If you're thinking about trying this series, please pick a different book.

Okay...putting aside the horrible ending, I really did enjoy the mystery. A couple pe
Petula Darling
I still had a lot of questions at the end of this.
It's one of the few times that I've actually longed for the classic bad-guy-soliloquy (that's the one that ends with "...and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.")
Ed Napiorkowski
Interesting and intriguing in areas but in my opinion not one of Grafton's best hence only three stars from me. In this particular volume our main character almost seems to become a different person, perhaps it is the author's intention for Kinsey to model her life on that of the woman who's death she is investigating as a means to better understand the case? To me it just didn't work that well. I found the out of character activities and behaviour distracted from rather than enhanced her develo ...more
Gregory
I enjoyed this one but found the end to be abrupt and unsatisfying. I was actually scratching my head when there were only a few pages left and the story was not wrapping up.
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • Till the Butchers Cut Him Down (Sharon McCone, #15)
  • Firestorm (Anna Pigeon, #4)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13) J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10) B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2) C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)