Start by marking “John Pig's Halloween” as Want to Read:
John Pig's Halloween

John Pig's Halloween

Shy little John Pig isn't going trick-or-treating-all those masks and costumes are too scary. He's going to stay home and carve a jack-o'-lantern. But when an odd witch crash-lands outside his door, John Pig ends up with a Halloween party on his hands-a monster Halloween party! Join the best-selling team behind Angel Pig and the Hidden Christmas with this spooky-but not to ...more
Published August 6th 2001 by Puffin (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about John Pig's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Pig's Halloween

Ruth
Aug 20, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of children's books and picture books
The art in this book looks like it might have originally been done in oils, because the colors are rich. Whichever art medium was used, the result is warm and charming. The story is done in poetic rhyme, and is the sweet tale of a little pig who is too timid to dress up and go out with his pig friends for Halloween, so he stays home...and gets an adventure of his own when a witch and her cat stop by and help him make a kitchenful of delectable Halloween treats. For a Halloween-lover like myself, ...more
Emily Garrison
Oct 24, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This story is about a little pig named John, who's too afraid to go out trick-or-treating on Halloween night. Instead, he stays home and makes a jack-o-lantern. While working on his jack-o-lantern, a witch and her cat fly into his door. He answers door and lights the porch with his jack-0-lantern. The witch asks for candy but isn't satisfied at what John has to offer. So she works with him to make tarts and pies and cookies, muffins, sundaes, apple juice and roasted pumpkin seeds. Ghouls and spo ...more
Dolly
Sep 26, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story about a pig who is too afraid to go out trick-or-treating on Halloween. He ends up meeting a witch and with her help, creating a banquet full of delicious Fall-themed food. They then throw a big, monstrous party.

The lyrical, rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and the colorful illustrations are terrific. John is an adorable pig and the monsters aren't too scary. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Heather
Jul 27, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm always on the lookout for good Halloween books since my kids insist on checking them out year-round and the story in John Pig's Halloween was unique. I like the illustrations of the spooky, but not-too-spooky Halloween creatures in this book and I want to gobble up all of the delicious autumn food they manage to whip up in one evening!
Marcia
Oct 31, 2015 Marcia rated it really liked it
A perfect Halloween read-aloud for kindergarten. Jon Pig doesn't want to go trick-or-treating, so decides to stay home alone. That can be scary, but he is soon visited by a with and they cook up a great old time. Told in fun rhyming verse, with terrific illustrations by David McPhail, it's a yearly treat.
Bonnie
Oct 14, 2012 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joyce
One of our family's very favorite Halloween illustrated books. This is about a pig who is scared to go out trick-or-treating with his friends, so stays home. But the a witch and some other Halloween creatures stop by and John Pig hosts a party for them and has so much fun he forgets to be scared. The rhyming and story are wonderful.
Lisa
Oct 02, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
A fantastic, origional story for Halloween. We've been reading it over and over since we took it out of the lib. My kids love it, and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Clever rhymes that flow really nicely and really beautiful illustrations.
Krista
Oct 23, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite children's books--and very favorite Halloween book. It feels a little wordy at first, but I began to love the rich, descriptive language of this book after a few reads. The illustrations are also rich and incredibly detailed.
Rainey
Waldron's interesting story of how a house full of pigs get ready for Halloween paired with McPhail's always excellent pictures definitely takes attention away from some faulty rhymes. I loved this book.
Benjamin
Oct 18, 2008 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Benjamin loved this book--the cadence is very clever, and the story is a sweet one. The author also introduces lots of new vocabulary (for 4 year olds), and he enjoyed learning new concepts.
Shelli
Feb 03, 2008 Shelli rated it liked it
John Pig is too frightened to go out trick or treating with his friends. He is sure staying home is the best way to keep the creepy's at bay.... or is it???
F.M.
F.M. rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Ashten Edens
Ashten Edens rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2008
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Debbie Jo
Debbie Jo rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2008
Shawn Marie
Shawn Marie rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2008
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Kimberly Ann
Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Roslyn
Roslyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Susan Baker
Susan Baker rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2013
Deatrice
Deatrice rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
K.E.
K.E. rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2013
Connie
Nov 02, 2014 Connie rated it it was amazing
We love this book! It's our tradition to read it every Halloween
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Athena
Athena rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2009