Vampire Boy's Good Night

Vampire Boy's Good Night

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When the sun goes down and everything is wonderfully cold and dark, a vampire boy and a little witch go searching for children in the night.

But this is no ordinary night. It is Halloween, and what they find may surprise them. . . .
Published July 27th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published July 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Boy's Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Boy's Good Night

Kathryn
Oh, how I wish this story had focused on the lives of Vampire Boy and his Witch friend in their charming, humorous, delightfully vampire-y and witch-y houses. I thought the Bela (vampire family) mansion was just so hilarious with the proper butler (with a band-aid on his neck from a vampire bite, haha!) and the little nuances in the decorations was just great. The witch's bedroom is fun, too, and her supply of literature was a neat little touch ("The Crucible" and "The Witch of Blackbird Pond",...more
So I can't give AN AWARD or TEN MILLION STARS to this book for being the cutest thing EVER, but somebody else can give it three stars because they don't like the main character's name?

Bah, I say!

Imagine that my five stars IS ALL THE STARS IN THE FIRMAMENT. I love Vampire Boy!

J.
This book captures the whimsy that accompanies Halloween festivities. Lisa Brown, a New York Times bestselling illustrator, combines gorgeous, creative illustrations to bring to life the story of two supernatural friends enjoying a night of exploration in search of the elusive, mythological human child.

This role reversal puts children in an imaginative state as they anticipate their Halloween costumes and night of celebrations. The use of a child vampire and a child witch is an instant attention...more
Cheryl
Just received my copy of this children's book from Goodreads! This was a cute Halloween story about a little witch and a young vampire who set out on Halloween night to look for real children, whom they cannot quite believe really exist. They end up at a children's costume party and get to see first-hand what "real" children look like.

I liked the illustrations in the story. I thought they were nicely drawn with a lot of details, and I liked the color scheme throughout the story.

Although I would...more
Mary Ann
Bela, young vampire boy, and his witch friend, Morgan, set out to look for children on Halloween night, though Morgan is sure that there’s no such thing as children. But when they come across a Halloween party, they are surprised to discover that the monsters and witches are actually children dressed in Halloween costumes. When Bela and Morgan sail off on the witch’s broom, it’s the children’s turn to be surprised! Lisa Brown, a local San Francisco author and illustrator, has captured just the r...more
Laura Graves
I can't remember where I first saw this, but I knew I had to get it when I did. It's just so adorable and I love to read children's books every now and then.

The first this that caught my eye when looking through this book were all the clever little references to books and music associated with Halloween. In Bela's room there are copies of Dracula and The Raven. Then, when Bela visits Morgan, his adorable witch friend, she's brewing a potion while listening to Symphonie Fantastique. The Cruciabl...more
Meredith

A cute picture book about a little vampire (named Bela after Bela Lugosi) and a little witch (named Morgan after Morgan le Fay) who encounter children for the first time on Halloween night and attend a costume party. It's another gentle the-monsters-are-just-like-us-and-there's-nothing-to-be-afraid-of story.

The literary and cultural references sprinkled throughout the first few pages are a nice touch. Bela has a copy of Dracula by Bram Stoker as well as books by Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, John...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
The idea behind this story is really cute. It is about a vampire boy named Bela, and his witch friend Morgan. They go in search of real children on Halloween night. Morgan doesn't believe that children are real, and Bela wants to prove that they are. The writing is simple and straightforward, and compliments the illustrations well (probably because it was both written and illustrated by Lisa Brown).

While this isn't my favorite Halloween book, it is a cute read and children will enjoy it. It was...more
Angela
The illustrations are charming, especially in the beginning when we are introduced to Bela and his witch friend. Bela longs to see children, although Morgan assures him they are not real. Alas, the story takes a turn for the prosaic as they discover a Halloween party where the "real" children assume they are in costume.
Could have been so much more clever than it is. But is a serviceable Halloween book.
Loren
This is a sweet little book with a story reminiscent of A Very Brave Witch, except this time it's a witch *and* a vampire who discover that children are nothing to be afraid of. The text is better written this time around. Brown's illustrations are truly charming. There are also lots of little details to entertain the grownups reading this aloud (Bela's bedtime book is Sabatini's Captain Blood).
Nicole
I loved the illustrations in this book. Not a great choice for a storytime because of all of the details in the illustrations, but a great lap-read. Vampire boy (Bella) and his witch friend (Morgan) go in search of real boys and girls to see if they truly exist...and end up at a Halloween party full of them :)
Adele Griffin
One of my daughter's favorites. It gives her the whole wacky dress-uppy world of Halloween with all its delights but none of its gruesomes. "Real witches don't have warts" is probably one of her most beloved take-away facts of the text, and we have revisited that party, oh, at least a hundred times.
Judith Wright
I expected way more after a patron mention this book, but was pretty disappointed. Also, the vampire boy was named Bela, which erked me for some reason. I did enjoy the illustrations and the attention paid to the detailing, especially in the literary works.
Erin Siobhan
Received my copy from Goodreads!
I think the book is well illustrated and I love the details that can be found on each page. My 5 year old has had me read it to her many times and is even now attempting to read it to her cousins. =)
Andrea
Vampire boy and Witch go looking for little children. Is there such a thing? When they finally realize that they have been hanging out with chilren all night, they get moving and leave the party.
Michelle
A young vampire and witch set out one night to see if "children" are real and wind up having being included in the fun with some unsuspecting costumed children at a Halloween party.
Heather
37 months - Beautifully illustrated, the detail in the scenes are great. The story is interesting and different, the little vampire and witch are not sure children are real.
Andrea Wilkinson
Really cute Halloween illustrations with a twist on a boy vampire and a girl witch who find a kids' Halloween party, but don't win the best costume contest!
Kacey
I won this on good reads and my kids really liked it. Just in time for Halloween! We'll be reading this one over and over.
Jen
Requested nightly while we had it (library book) not too scary for little guy, we liked story and illustrations.
Nadia
One of Ozzie's new favorite books that we have to read nightly. Heaven help us.
Jandi
I just won this from first reads and I can't wait to read it!
Rachel
Love all the subtle details in each spread!
Emerson School  Library
Kindergarten 10/2010
Deidra
Deidra added it
Sep 17, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
LISA BROWN is the bestselling illustrator and/or author of a growing number of books, including How to Be, The Latke Who Couldn’t Stop Screaming, and Baby Mix Me a Drink. She draws the Three Panel Book Review cartoon for the book section of the San Francisco Chronicle. Lisa lives in San Francisco with her son and her husband, who is rumored to be Lemony Snicket.
More about Lisa Brown...
Baby, Mix Me a Drink How to Be Baby Make Me Breakfast Baby Fix My Car Baby Do My Banking