Start by marking “Vampire Boy's Good Night” as Want to Read:
Vampire Boy's Good Night

Vampire Boy's Good Night

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When the sun goes down and everything is wonderfully cold and dark, a vampire boy and a little witch go searching for children in the night.

But this is no ordinary night. It is Halloween, and what they find may surprise them. . . .
Published July 27th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published July 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Boy's Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Boy's Good Night

Kathryn
Oh, how I wish this story had focused on the lives of Vampire Boy and his Witch friend in their charming, humorous, delightfully vampire-y and witch-y houses. I thought the Bela (vampire family) mansion was just so hilarious with the proper butler (with a band-aid on his neck from a vampire bite, haha!) and the little nuances in the decorations was just great. The witch's bedroom is fun, too, and her supply of literature was a neat little touch ("The Crucible" and "The Witch of Blackbird Pond", ...more
Nov 18, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
So I can't give AN AWARD or TEN MILLION STARS to this book for being the cutest thing EVER, but somebody else can give it three stars because they don't like the main character's name?

Bah, I say!

Imagine that my five stars IS ALL THE STARS IN THE FIRMAMENT. I love Vampire Boy!

Cheryl
Sep 09, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Just received my copy of this children's book from Goodreads! This was a cute Halloween story about a little witch and a young vampire who set out on Halloween night to look for real children, whom they cannot quite believe really exist. They end up at a children's costume party and get to see first-hand what "real" children look like.

I liked the illustrations in the story. I thought they were nicely drawn with a lot of details, and I liked the color scheme throughout the story.

Although I would
Mary Ann
Aug 22, 2010 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Bela, young vampire boy, and his witch friend, Morgan, set out to look for children on Halloween night, though Morgan is sure that there’s no such thing as children. But when they come across a Halloween party, they are surprised to discover that the monsters and witches are actually children dressed in Halloween costumes. When Bela and Morgan sail off on the witch’s broom, it’s the children’s turn to be surprised! Lisa Brown, a local San Francisco author and illustrator, has captured just the r ...more
Dec 19, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
I can't remember where I first saw this, but I knew I had to get it when I did. It's just so adorable and I love to read children's books every now and then.

The first this that caught my eye when looking through this book were all the clever little references to books and music associated with Halloween. In Bela's room there are copies of Dracula and The Raven. Then, when Bela visits Morgan, his adorable witch friend, she's brewing a potion while listening to Symphonie Fantastique. The Cruciabl
Meredith

A cute picture book about a little vampire (named Bela after Bela Lugosi) and a little witch (named Morgan after Morgan le Fay) who encounter children for the first time on Halloween night and attend a costume party. It's another gentle the-monsters-are-just-like-us-and-there's-nothing-to-be-afraid-of story.

The literary and cultural references sprinkled throughout the first few pages are a nice touch. Bela has a copy of Dracula by Bram Stoker as well as books by Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, John
Maria
Dec 10, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
Delightful! One of the rare picture books that is (almost) as much for the adult reader as it is for the child being read to. Among the lovely illustrations and fun story are little references that adults will get but young children probably don't yet know.
Miri
Oct 28, 2014 Miri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween
A delightful tale for Halloween. A little vampire boy and a little witch girl go out on Halloween night, the vampire boy wants to see real human children, the two arrive at a Halloween party and join in on all the games until the unmasking, when the human children are given quite a surprise when they learn that a real witch girl and vampire boy attended their party.

This book has terrific artwork and is a great choice for Halloween reading.
Bruce Deming
Apr 23, 2015 Bruce Deming rated it liked it
Cute. For kids. Vampire boy and a witch girl go try to find "mythical" human kids on Halloween and find some but guess what they are all in costume! cute and short for the little ones.
Dena (Batch of Books)
The idea behind this story is really cute. It is about a vampire boy named Bela, and his witch friend Morgan. They go in search of real children on Halloween night. Morgan doesn't believe that children are real, and Bela wants to prove that they are. The writing is simple and straightforward, and compliments the illustrations well (probably because it was both written and illustrated by Lisa Brown).

While this isn't my favorite Halloween book, it is a cute read and children will enjoy it. It was
Angela Aubergine
Dec 13, 2014 Angela Aubergine rated it it was amazing
read this before. about a vampire boy and witch girl on Halloween who go searching for human children.
Angela
Jan 03, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
The illustrations are charming, especially in the beginning when we are introduced to Bela and his witch friend. Bela longs to see children, although Morgan assures him they are not real. Alas, the story takes a turn for the prosaic as they discover a Halloween party where the "real" children assume they are in costume.
Could have been so much more clever than it is. But is a serviceable Halloween book.
Loren
Oct 07, 2011 Loren rated it really liked it
Shelves: auroras-books
This is a sweet little book with a story reminiscent of A Very Brave Witch, except this time it's a witch *and* a vampire who discover that children are nothing to be afraid of. The text is better written this time around. Brown's illustrations are truly charming. There are also lots of little details to entertain the grownups reading this aloud (Bela's bedtime book is Sabatini's Captain Blood).
Justin Bloch
Oct 18, 2015 Justin Bloch rated it it was amazing
Our daughter is obsessed with vampires right now, and she loved this one.
Nicole
Oct 13, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
I loved the illustrations in this book. Not a great choice for a storytime because of all of the details in the illustrations, but a great lap-read. Vampire boy (Bella) and his witch friend (Morgan) go in search of real boys and girls to see if they truly exist...and end up at a Halloween party full of them :)
Adele Griffin
Nov 17, 2010 Adele Griffin rated it it was amazing
One of my daughter's favorites. It gives her the whole wacky dress-uppy world of Halloween with all its delights but none of its gruesomes. "Real witches don't have warts" is probably one of her most beloved take-away facts of the text, and we have revisited that party, oh, at least a hundred times.
Ellen
Oct 06, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
An adorable Hallowe'en read! Although I would have liked to see more of Bela and Morgan's everyday lives, it was fun to see the role reversals. My favorite part though are the little details: "Danse Macabre" and the other records and book titles especially, but also the little plush bat!
Judith
Oct 26, 2010 Judith rated it liked it
I expected way more after a patron mention this book, but was pretty disappointed. Also, the vampire boy was named Bela, which erked me for some reason. I did enjoy the illustrations and the attention paid to the detailing, especially in the literary works.
Erin Siobhan
Sep 09, 2010 Erin Siobhan rated it liked it
Received my copy from Goodreads!
I think the book is well illustrated and I love the details that can be found on each page. My 5 year old has had me read it to her many times and is even now attempting to read it to her cousins. =)
Andrea
Nov 07, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
Vampire boy and Witch go looking for little children. Is there such a thing? When they finally realize that they have been hanging out with chilren all night, they get moving and leave the party.
Michelle
Jul 31, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A young vampire and witch set out one night to see if "children" are real and wind up having being included in the fun with some unsuspecting costumed children at a Halloween party.
Heather
Jul 06, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
37 months - Beautifully illustrated, the detail in the scenes are great. The story is interesting and different, the little vampire and witch are not sure children are real.
Andrea Wilkinson
Oct 15, 2012 Andrea Wilkinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Really cute Halloween illustrations with a twist on a boy vampire and a girl witch who find a kids' Halloween party, but don't win the best costume contest!
Kacey
Sep 19, 2010 Kacey rated it really liked it
I won this on good reads and my kids really liked it. Just in time for Halloween! We'll be reading this one over and over.
Jen
Oct 09, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddo-books
Requested nightly while we had it (library book) not too scary for little guy, we liked story and illustrations.
Nadia
Jan 17, 2012 Nadia rated it liked it
One of Ozzie's new favorite books that we have to read nightly. Heaven help us.
Jandi
Feb 26, 2012 Jandi rated it liked it
I just won this from first reads and I can't wait to read it!
Rachel
Aug 09, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
Love all the subtle details in each spread!
Emerson School  Library
Kindergarten 10/2010
Marcy Gutierrez
Marcy Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • Dear Vampa
  • Even Monsters Need Haircuts
  • Animal House
LISA BROWN is the bestselling illustrator and/or author of a growing number of books, including How to Be, The Latke Who Couldn’t Stop Screaming, and Baby Mix Me a Drink. She draws the Three Panel Book Review cartoon for the book section of the San Francisco Chronicle. Lisa lives in San Francisco with her son and her husband, who is rumored to be Lemony Snicket.
More about Lisa Brown...