Start by marking “I Love Bugs!” as Want to Read:

Some bugs
make honey.

Some bugs light
up the sky!

Come explore the amazing world of bugs! The friendly bugs that crawl all over these pages include hungry caterpillars, busy ants, and graceful dragonflies. Which one is your favorite?
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Love Bugs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Bugs!

Heidi-Marie
Good toddler potential with its few words per page and bright, large illustrations.

10/5/10 & 10/7/10 Considering I had to do these storytimes in the lobby, this went very well. The kids enjoyed using their fingers to make the different bug movements.

10/14/10 Used this in my Outreach storytime for toddler age at a daycare. It went well. Kids loved the book.

10/19/10 & 10/21/10 The Thursday toddler group did better with this overall (the parents were more involved.) The special needs group
Jason
Sturges's books are generally pretty solid intros to nonfiction subjects, and generally good as read alouds.
Vivian
Apr 04, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Even very small bugs can be loud or quiet! Get your kids up to do the actions with the bugs...
hop, "fly" (whirr the arms rather than flap them), wiggle fingers (like bug legs), paddle, open and shut fingers (like chewing caterpillars), swoop hands, wiggle fingers (like antenna), stand very still (blending in), bend arms (like praying mantis), open and shut hands (like blinking firefly), flutter hands (like moths), open and shut arms (like beetle wings), and finally click finger (like a camera).
Russell
Aug 12, 2015 Russell rated it it was ok
Does a decent job of expressing irrational exuberance for a variety of bugs, but the art could use some punching up. Perspective and scale seem off in a few cases, which is rough when your primary subject tends to be small in comparison to the main character. Otherwise, this child inhabits some hellish landscape where wooly bears are bigger than large dogs. If that's the case, then I'd be dressing my kid sister as a ladybug to help her blend in and avoid death by insect too.
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I love that this book has illustrations on the inside of the front and back covers with the names and facts about many different kinds of bugs. I also love that the book tells facts about the bugs throughout the story until the end. I do not like that the story ends with the little boy saying his baby sister is a ladybug because she is dressed like a ladybug. The story should have discussed real ladybugs. Other than that, this book is good for younger students that love bugs.
Diana Thomsen
Apr 14, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
This went over very well as part of my storytime about bugs. The kids loved pointing out the different ones they recognized, and they really liked the "ladybug" at the end. I actually added the little blurb about the baby sister that is on the last page into the part where you meet the "lady and the parents seemed to really appreciate the sentiment.
Lauren
Mar 03, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This book was perfect for my pre-K'er (5 years) to read to my preschooler (3 years). The story was simple enough for him to read the whole book with little help and she was able to learn about different bug varieties from what he read and the illustrations. It did a great job of picking out the highlight facts of a decent variety of bugs inside the cover. We really enjoyed it!
Alanna Burris
Sep 17, 2015 Alanna Burris rated it liked it
This book would be great for younger children to assist in a first introduction to bugs. I like the beginning page, before the book even starts, where they show pictures of bugs and a random fact about them. It's easy reading so it won't put too much strain on the child and they would feel confident to read by their self. The pictures do a good job of providing a visual of the bug.
Shannon Chrnko
Sep 02, 2014 Shannon Chrnko rated it really liked it
I Love Bugs was a very cute book. I would suggest this for very young readers. I like how there are facts included at the beginning and end of the book about certain bugs. The ending of this story teaches a lesson to be loving to our siblings.
Autumn Yoon
A simple story about a young boy who describes his favorite bugs!The book is very simple and to the point. This would work great with a science lesson on insects! This book would be great for Pre-K and Kindergarten!
Alicia
Jul 06, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, science
Well, technically they are insects. I like that this is a simple book that introduces the idea of insects to children. It's more of a fun looking at insects around us than a scientific explanation kind of book.
Tredyffrin Children
Jul 05, 2012 Tredyffrin Children rated it really liked it
Shelves: angie
Amazing Pictures! This informative and colorful book about bugs is great for those interested in the little creatures as well as those who are trying to get over their fear of bugs. A great read a loud!
Samantha
Sep 06, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
A simple introduction to bugs with text that can be read aloud to both toddlers and preK. The inside front and back covers are jam-packed with facts about bugs readers can find in their backyard or neighborhood.
Ina
May 18, 2011 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
Big colorful illustrations and simple text take fear out of bugs for even the youngest listener. There are plenty of opportunities to get the kids involved in the book, like counting particular bugs on a page. Short, sweet, engaging - this book is a great introduction to the world of bugs.
Sally Staples
Apr 22, 2012 Sally Staples rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a great easy reader book. There are many sight words. It has big and colorful illustrations. I really like to leave this book in my class library at school for children to read and to look at!!
Ali
Sep 26, 2013 Ali rated it it was ok
My girls like bugs, but for some reason they didn't like this book very much. When I asked them about it, neither could tell my exactly why, they just didn't really like it.
Edna
Nov 11, 2009 Edna rated it really liked it
Large bold illustrations covering both open pages with simple bug actions (hop, fly, crawl) make it a perfect book from young to older toddlers.
Sylvester
Sep 26, 2014 Sylvester rated it it was ok
1* art
2* story/concept

Just meh. Things may look different in a year or 2. Right now, it's not a digger or a hammer so it barely exists.
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
While not a strictly "learning to read" book, this story was simple enough that Asher (5 years old) could read it without much help.

Okay illustrations.
Stefani
Jun 05, 2008 Stefani rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool
Clear, colorful pictures, combined with large, simple, rhyming text make this a nice read aloud for preschool children. Learn about all of the things bugs do!
Maria
May 03, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
Perfect intro/discussion of insects for preschoolers -- simple rhyming texts and bright colorful pictures.
Mia Obiwo
Apr 22, 2012 Mia Obiwo rated it really liked it
A very clear and colorful book. A boy describes all of his favorite bugs in detail. Great for Kindergarten- 1st grade.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Sturges shares a brief glimpse at an assortment of bugs. The best bug is the character's sibling dressed up as a ladybug.

Theme: bugs
Shalaka
Jul 19, 2013 Shalaka rated it it was amazing
The book is colorful and filled up with names of bugs. Though in he end looses the actual connection with the title, pictures are unique and preschool children would love to enjoy!!
Danielle J.
Jan 24, 2013 Danielle J. rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot about bugs.
Wylaina
Wylaina rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
Ashleyd
Ashleyd rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2015
K Stile
K Stile rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
  • A Truck Goes Rattley-Bumpa
  • My Car
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Bye-Bye, Big Bad Bullybug!
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Flower Garden
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Red Truck
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!