I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections
read excerpt

I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  8,977 ratings  ·  1,638 reviews
Nora Ephron returns with her first book since the astounding success of I Feel Bad About My Neck, taking a cool, hard, hilarious look at the past, the present, and the future, bemoaning the vicissitudes of modern life, and recalling with her signature clarity and wisdom everything she hasn’t (yet) forgotten.

Ephron writes about falling hard for a way of life (“Journalism: A...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2010)

Walden by Henry David ThoreauA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfA Collection of Essays by George OrwellThe Complete Essays by Michel de MontaigneThe Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays by Albert Camus
Best/Favorite Books of Essays
20th out of 323 books — 121 voters
Clotho's Loom by Shawn StJeanBelly Laughs by Jenny McCarthyWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveBaby Laughs by Jenny McCarthyPregnancy Sucks by Joanne Kimes
Mommy Must-Reads
9th out of 70 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin
Fluffy and delightful.

"You always think that a bolt of lightning is going to strike and your parents will magically change into the people you wish they were, or back into the people they used to be. But they're never going to. And even though you know they're never going to, you still hope they will." (p.51)

"And every time one of my friends says to me, "Everything happens for a reason," I would like to smack her." (p.129)
Carol
I purchased this book last year. I put in down on a table piled high with books, and then Nora Ephron died. I didn't pick it up until a few weeks ago.I unearthed it, and read it slowly, knowing that it would (barring posthumous publishings) be the last new and original book by her I would read. When I was first married and living in New York, I read her sister's book "How to Eat Like a Child." I related. I continued to read books by Delia and Nora Ephron. I had friends who knew the same people s...more
ML
Nora Ephron is clever and observant - and sometimes surprisingly wise - as in her essay about the impossible demands placed on children of divorce. As for laughing, I enjoyed most "The O Word" (O for Old).
My only LOL moment, however, came from the catalog designation: this book has been categorized as wit and humor about "Middle-aged women". "Middle-Aged"? The book is all about being OLD.
Jeanette

Not particularly funny, but still pretty interesting. I enjoy little autobiographical snapshots in essay form. There's probably more namedropping here than in any book I've ever read, but the Ephron girls grew up around so many famous people that they might not recognize namedropping when they do it.
Michelle
I was expecting something different, so I rated it "it was ok" because it didn't deliver to my expectations. After laughing throughout "I Feel Bad About My Neck", (and Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally) and having so many "Oh yeah! Me too!" moments, I wasn't pleasantly surprised to realize this book is more of a memoir, and Nora fills it with references to lots of people I probably should be impressed about, but instead I felt I was joining in on a stranger's conversation (make that...more
Kristina
Eh.
This book is a collection of blandly interesting anecdotes about Ephron's life. The kind of blandly interesting anecdotes you tell friends over dinner (and they do not feel obliged to repeat), not the kind that turn into juicy, zesty, jaw-dropping books. I can only imagine the meeting with her editor.

Editor: We want you to write a book about your life.

Ephron: I'm in the middle of something.

Editor: Okay, make it short. Just write anything down. People know who you are. They've seen When Ha...more
Sterlingcindysu
Now realize this is a memoir and it's called, "I remember nothing." I thought it would be ironic, that she HAD remembered alot, but no. If you like poor little rich girls whining, this is for you...sorry, I can't muster much sympathy for a girl who waltzes into a job at Newsweek, meets famous people and doesn't remember anyting about them and complains about only getting $40K as a surprise inheritance. To add insult to injury, then there's a chapter about her "flops", remember these are movies s...more
Diane
Nora Ephron died a few days ago, and one of the first things I did after reading her obituary was to get this book from the library. It's a delightful read, filled with great quotes and essays about things like getting her start in journalism, what it's like having a movie flop, having a meatloaf dish named after her, getting addicted to online Scrabble games and how forgetful she has become.

The book is slight -- only 135 pages -- and some of the stories are only a few pages long, but I was utt...more
Kathy
So far she seems to be describing ME! Quick read for those of us getting older and not liking it one bit!!!
Kira
One of Nora Ephron’s strengths has always been relating to women’s insecurities, turning them into truisms and letting us all laugh. Still being in my 20s, I can’t personally identify with a lot of Ephron’s more recent work—my neck is still aesthetically acceptable—but I can say that her attitude towards aging has made me comfortable with the idea. She reassures me that it’s okay to laugh at the awkward hilarity that is growing older. But it seems like between 2006 and 2010, Ephron went from amu...more
Julia
The fabulous Nora Ephron wrote this at 69, two years before her premature death from complications from leukemia. It's a short book, a collection of anecdotes about her life, thoughts on things that annoy her and how it feels to be getting old. Although she doesn't mention her health, she alludes to it when she lists things that she will and won't miss after she passes on, and thanks her doctors at the end.

Nora is - was - a wonderful writer and she can tell stories that don't amount to much in...more
Jack
I got this ebook from the library because the one about her neck wasn't available. I was sad when Nora died. She was one of those great New York dames who was always just so alive and opinionated about it all. And, Jesus, talk about accomplished. While reading Nora's obit I realized that I had never read any of her prose and so figured why not. I love that I could get it online from my library. How cool is that? A thrill like stealing. The book is quixotic and charming. -Why quixotic? I don't kn...more
Charlie Kramer
Let me start this review with a statement that has never been truer; I am biased when it comes to Nora Ephron. Every rom com author on the planet wants to be just like Nora, or should I say write just like Nora.

If you haven’t realised - Nora Ephron is my hero. She possesses an unequalled talent and has penned some very famous romantic comedies including When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and You’ve Got Mali. Just to name a few.

I Remember Nothing is a series of reflections by Nora on dif...more
Cindy
News of her death prompted me to choose this book, a series of essays on growing old(er), though she died too young at 69. I probably enjoyed it more than the average reader since I am nearing that age myself and it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one dealing with memory issues...even famous, successful, wealthy people suffer too! Her writing is witty and down-to-earth.
Jody
I enjoyed this book very much. I have always loved Nora's richness, relatability, honesty and humor. This memoir is extremely poignant especially knowing she knew she was sick at the time pen went to paper...I will miss her words.
Barbara
I am a big fan of Nora Ephron's so I am not an objective reviewer. I love how she expresses herself and I find her funny. She doesn't always cover funny subjects, like divorce and getting old, but she maintains her wit and I like that. Probably not for everyone.
I am generally disappointed in memoirs which began many years ago when I read all of Lillian Hellman's memoirs including Pentimento. I was actually angry when I finished them because I felt cheated. She was clearly a woman of intense feel...more
Kirsti
Some reviewers have criticized this book for being slight. And it is short, and the pieces in which Ephron bitches about eating in expensive restaurants are unimpressive. But there are some terrific, funny, thought-provoking essays in here. I think she does best when she writes about things that most of us have never experienced:

* what it's like to have a flop as a director, and how that differs from having a flop as a screenwriter and as a playwright

* what happens when a relative dies and you f...more
Simon Howard
This is delightful.

It's a short book, full (mainly) of short anecdotes and reflections on events in Nora Ephron's life. Sometimes, these take the form of full-on autobiographical anecdotes, such as her story of how she got into journalism. Others are just straight-out opinions, such as her six stages of her relationship with email. All are joyously funny; some are also quite touching. The whole gives a real sense of Ephron as a person. And the quality of the writing throughout is just sublime.

So...more
Melanie Storie
Three of Nora Ephron's movies are on my list of top favorite movies of all time. I remember watching "Sleepless in Seattle" in high school and just falling in love with it. After that, any time I broke up with a guy, I would watch "Sleepless in Seattle" to remind myself that there was probably a Tom Hanks out there somewhere for me and there was but his name is Matt. When I heard Nora Ephron died, I made my husband and sons sit down and watch "You've Got Mail" with me and we all laughed and love...more
Diane
I love Nora Ephron's humor. I have watched the "Nora Ephron Highly Recommends Having Meryl Streep Play You" video on YouTube dozens of times. I highly recommend you watch it.

I loved her essays in "I Feel Bad About My Neck," written four years before this collection, but I enjoyed this book even more.

Nora Ephron wrote this in 2010, two years before she died. She had been fighting her illness for six years. Jacob Bernstein, her son, wrote a wonderful essay, "Nora Ephron's Final Act" in The New Yo...more
Jenna Koester
This was my first Nora Ephron book so I may be a little generous with my five star rating. But this book made me laugh out loud and smile at the basic human experiences she shared with us. The Meat Loaf and the Scrabble Blitz stories had me crying laughing. This isn't the best book I've ever read--in fact it is less a book and more a series of vignettes--but it hit me at the right time. Thank you Nora.
Ryan
I imagine that this book came about because of a conversation like this:
Publisher: Nora, we need you to write another book.
Nora: Okay, what did you have in mind?
Publisher: I don't know, you're funny, just write some things down. And can we have it tomorrow?

This was pretty terrible. And I'm a huge Nora Ephron fan. A bunch of poorly written essays about absolutely nothing. And not in a good way.
Lauriann
I was listening to this audio book as I went walking. My first day out I laughed out loud a number of times when Nora Ephron struck me terribly funny. I finished the book on my FOURTH walk. The book was that short!! The ending of the book, beginning with the chapter, "The O Word" (O for OLD), was the most depressing reading I have read in a very long time. I felt as though someone had taken a 2x4 with OLD etched into it and smacked me across the face. Too many things that I just didn't want to...more
Annie Moore
A quick read - finished in a day. I did laugh out loud at one point - which is always funny because of the way my kids look at me when I do.
bookczuk
Gobbled this down in one evening. Loved the stories, and the sense of "I know that feeling." Nora Ephron was a funny, insightful lady.
Cindy
Nora Ephron’s new book, I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections, is for Ephron's contemporaries, that is, females nearing or over the age of fifty who wear scarves to temper hot flashes and hide neck ruffles, who reluctantly and clumsily navigate modern technology, and who have to extract memories from brain cells the way a dentist has to wrestle out a molar. Ephron, who wrote the screenplays for Julie and Julia and When Harry Met Sally and the recent bestseller I Feel Bad About My Neck, can at...more
Elizabeth
You always write reviews and wonder if other people are reading them, right? Well, I do. Not I do wonder, but yes, I do read them. So last week someone I am friends with read and reviewed "I Remember Nothing." It made me want to read it. Got on line and being to lazy to drive to my library to check out the copy that was waiting on the shelves, I put myself on the waiting list on Overdrive.

This is a quick read from Ephron with assorted random thoughts from her. Some of them are trivial--like how...more
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 02, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone, of course!
I couldn’t help but be saddened by I Remember Nothing, as it is Nora Ephron’s final book. I was fortunate enough to listen to the audio version, which was read by Ephron herself — making the book even more special. Listening to her voice, it was impossible to believe she was really dead.

While not as fabulous as Ephron’s Scribble, Scribble: Notes on the Media or I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman, I Remember Nothing is a worthy valedictory, and it contains some great ge...more
Jane Stewart
Smart, witty, and fun.

This is a continuation of Nora’s amusing observations about daily life, recollections, and reflections. It’s the sequel to her book “I Feel Bad About My Neck.” I had a great time with both of these. Because she makes me laugh out loud, I gave 5 stars to each. I liked them as AUDIOBOOKS. They were perfect to keep me company as I cooked, cleaned, and drove. Nora narrated both of them. Her narration style was better in the second book than in the first.

The topics covered in I...more
Laurel-Rain
In this chronicle of growing older and what it means to someone for whom memory and words are her trademark is the poignant core of this book. Ephron shares about not remembering a movie title, or a familiar book, and how she immediately Googles it. Then there are those other moments of not remembering a person's name or how she knows them. But, as evidenced by the ensuing pages in this tome, there is a lot more that she does recall, a fact that is revealed as we read on.

She shares many anecdote...more
  • Sister Mother Husband Dog: Etc.
  • After the Falls
  • Family Man
  • Life Itself
  • Fiction Ruined My Family
  • The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
  • Reading Jackie: Her Autobiography in Books
  • Don't Sing at the Table: Life Lessons from My Grandmothers
  • Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
  • Apron Anxiety: My Messy Affairs In and Out of the Kitchen
  • Ali in Wonderland
Nora Ephron was an American film director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, and blogger.

She was best known for her romantic comedies and is a triple nominee for the Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay; for Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally... and Sleepless in Seattle. She sometimes wrote with her sister, Delia Ephron.
More about Nora Ephron...
I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman Heartburn Crazy Salad: Some Things About Women (Modern Library Humor and Wit) When Harry Met Sally Wallflower at the Orgy

“I am living in the Google years, no question of that. And there are advantages to it. When you forget something, you can whip out your iPhone and go to Google. The Senior Moment has become the Google moment, and it has a much nicer, hipper, younger, more contemporary sound, doesn't it? By handling the obligations of the search mechanism, you almost prove you can keep up....

You can't retrieve you life (unless you're on Wikipedia, in which case you can retrieve an inaccurate version of it).”
25 likes
“From the essay "Twenty-five Things People Have a Shocking Capacity to Be Surprised by Over and Over Again"

1. Journalists sometimes make things up.
2. Journalists sometimes get things wrong.
3. Almost all books that are published as memoirs were initially written as novels, and then the agent/editor said, This might work better as a memoir.
6. Freedom of the press belongs to the man who owns one.”
24 likes