Start by marking “I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections” as Want to Read:
I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,421 Ratings  ·  2,116 Reviews
Nora Ephron returns with her first book since the astounding success of I Feel Bad About My Neck, taking a cool, hard, hilarious look at the past, the present, and the future, bemoaning the vicissitudes of modern life, and recalling with her signature clarity and wisdom everything she hasn’t (yet) forgotten.

Ephron writes about falling hard for a way of life (“Journalism: A
Published November 9th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Remember Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember Nothing

A Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfWalden by Henry David ThoreauA Collection of Essays by George OrwellArguably by Christopher HitchensThe Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays by Albert Camus
Best/Favorite Books of Essays
18th out of 393 books — 161 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Memoirs by Women
293rd out of 1,747 books — 2,110 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane
Oct 29, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, humorous, essays
Nora Ephron died a few days ago, and one of the first things I did after reading her obituary was to get this book from the library. It's a delightful read, filled with great quotes and essays about things like getting her start in journalism, what it's like having a movie flop, having a meatloaf dish named after her, getting addicted to online Scrabble games and how forgetful she has become.

The book is slight -- only 135 pages -- and some of the stories are only a few pages long, but I was utt
Robin
Oct 09, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Fluffy and delightful.

"You always think that a bolt of lightning is going to strike and your parents will magically change into the people you wish they were, or back into the people they used to be. But they're never going to. And even though you know they're never going to, you still hope they will." (p.51)

"And every time one of my friends says to me, "Everything happens for a reason," I would like to smack her." (p.129)
Carol
Jan 22, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book last year. I put in down on a table piled high with books, and then Nora Ephron died. I didn't pick it up until a few weeks ago.I unearthed it, and read it slowly, knowing that it would (barring posthumous publishings) be the last new and original book by her I would read. When I was first married and living in New York, I read her sister's book "How to Eat Like a Child." I related. I continued to read books by Delia and Nora Ephron. I had friends who knew the same people s ...more
Julia
Jun 30, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
The fabulous Nora Ephron wrote this at 69, two years before her premature death from complications from leukemia. It's a short book, a collection of anecdotes about her life, thoughts on things that annoy her and how it feels to be getting old. Although she doesn't mention her health, she alludes to it when she lists things that she will and won't miss after she passes on, and thanks her doctors at the end.

Nora is - was - a wonderful writer and she can tell stories that don't amount to much in
ML
Jan 02, 2011 ML rated it liked it
Nora Ephron is clever and observant - and sometimes surprisingly wise - as in her essay about the impossible demands placed on children of divorce. As for laughing, I enjoyed most "The O Word" (O for Old).
My only LOL moment, however, came from the catalog designation: this book has been categorized as wit and humor about "Middle-aged women". "Middle-Aged"? The book is all about being OLD.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"

Not particularly funny, but still pretty interesting. I enjoy little autobiographical snapshots in essay form. There's probably more namedropping here than in any book I've ever read, but the Ephron girls grew up around so many famous people that they might not recognize namedropping when they do it.
Kathy
Feb 13, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
So far she seems to be describing ME! Quick read for those of us getting older and not liking it one bit!!!
Michelle
Dec 08, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok
I was expecting something different, so I rated it "it was ok" because it didn't deliver to my expectations. After laughing throughout "I Feel Bad About My Neck", (and Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally) and having so many "Oh yeah! Me too!" moments, I wasn't pleasantly surprised to realize this book is more of a memoir, and Nora fills it with references to lots of people I probably should be impressed about, but instead I felt I was joining in on a stranger's conversation (make that ...more
Kristina
Dec 30, 2010 Kristina rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Eh.
This book is a collection of blandly interesting anecdotes about Ephron's life. The kind of blandly interesting anecdotes you tell friends over dinner (and they do not feel obliged to repeat), not the kind that turn into juicy, zesty, jaw-dropping books. I can only imagine the meeting with her editor.

Editor: We want you to write a book about your life.

Ephron: I'm in the middle of something.

Editor: Okay, make it short. Just write anything down. People know who you are. They've seen When Ha
Cindy
Jul 05, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
News of her death prompted me to choose this book, a series of essays on growing old(er), though she died too young at 69. I probably enjoyed it more than the average reader since I am nearing that age myself and it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one dealing with memory issues...even famous, successful, wealthy people suffer too! Her writing is witty and down-to-earth.
Sterlingcindysu
Feb 09, 2011 Sterlingcindysu rated it it was ok
Now realize this is a memoir and it's called, "I remember nothing." I thought it would be ironic, that she HAD remembered alot, but no. If you like poor little rich girls whining, this is for you...sorry, I can't muster much sympathy for a girl who waltzes into a job at Newsweek, meets famous people and doesn't remember anyting about them and complains about only getting $40K as a surprise inheritance. To add insult to injury, then there's a chapter about her "flops", remember these are movies s ...more
Simon Howard
Jul 12, 2012 Simon Howard rated it it was amazing
This is delightful.

It's a short book, full (mainly) of short anecdotes and reflections on events in Nora Ephron's life. Sometimes, these take the form of full-on autobiographical anecdotes, such as her story of how she got into journalism. Others are just straight-out opinions, such as her six stages of her relationship with email. All are joyously funny; some are also quite touching. The whole gives a real sense of Ephron as a person. And the quality of the writing throughout is just sublime.

So
Jack
Sep 02, 2012 Jack rated it liked it
I got this ebook from the library because the one about her neck wasn't available. I was sad when Nora died. She was one of those great New York dames who was always just so alive and opinionated about it all. And, Jesus, talk about accomplished. While reading Nora's obit I realized that I had never read any of her prose and so figured why not. I love that I could get it online from my library. How cool is that? A thrill like stealing. The book is quixotic and charming. -Why quixotic? I don't kn ...more
Melanie Storie
Aug 22, 2012 Melanie Storie rated it it was amazing
Three of Nora Ephron's movies are on my list of top favorite movies of all time. I remember watching "Sleepless in Seattle" in high school and just falling in love with it. After that, any time I broke up with a guy, I would watch "Sleepless in Seattle" to remind myself that there was probably a Tom Hanks out there somewhere for me and there was but his name is Matt. When I heard Nora Ephron died, I made my husband and sons sit down and watch "You've Got Mail" with me and we all laughed and love ...more
Julia
May 31, 2015 Julia rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've only known of Nora Ephron as a writer of films, and I had enjoyed "When Harry Met Sally". So I was very surprised and disappointed that I never laughed once at this slim volume of her "reflections". The entire atmosphere she breathed seemed to be the shallow one of the wealthy, so the 23 small vignettes here came across as some of the most self-centered pieces I've ever read.

My favorite essayist is Kurt Vonnegut, who can make me laugh and think at the same time. Ephron does neither for me.
Ron
Apr 17, 2016 Ron rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook, memoir
“Looking back, it seems I was clueless until I was about fifty years old.” “I used to think my disk was full; not I’m forced to conclude … it’s becoming empty.”

The near-end-of-life reminiscences of a journalist and playwright. It should have been profound and moving, but was instead an exposé of practically everything, including herself. Snide and cynical, but it still manages to be poignant. An obviously bright, talented person, who (by her own estimate) wasted her life. (She died two years af
Allie Chickie
I joined the Nora Ephron party way too late. I'm happy to finally be here, however.

I found her stories to be hilarious and her narration so dry and spot on. I quickly looked her up online to see what else I could get my hands on and was very sad to learn she died in 2012. It's really special to be able to listen to an author read their own work after they've passed on. I'm glad she left this for the world.

Her short stories and essays were humorous and touching. There was a point I almost cried
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 02, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, of course!
I couldn’t help but be saddened by I Remember Nothing, as it is Nora Ephron’s final book. I was fortunate enough to listen to the audio version, which was read by Ephron herself — making the book even more special. Listening to her voice, it was impossible to believe she was really dead.

While not as fabulous as Ephron’s Scribble, Scribble: Notes on the Media or I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman, I Remember Nothing is a worthy valedictory, and it contains some great ge
Kira
Jan 16, 2012 Kira rated it did not like it
One of Nora Ephron’s strengths has always been relating to women’s insecurities, turning them into truisms and letting us all laugh. Still being in my 20s, I can’t personally identify with a lot of Ephron’s more recent work—my neck is still aesthetically acceptable—but I can say that her attitude towards aging has made me comfortable with the idea. She reassures me that it’s okay to laugh at the awkward hilarity that is growing older. But it seems like between 2006 and 2010, Ephron went from amu ...more
Charlie Kramer
Aug 07, 2011 Charlie Kramer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start this review with a statement that has never been truer; I am biased when it comes to Nora Ephron. Every rom com author on the planet wants to be just like Nora, or should I say write just like Nora.

If you haven’t realised - Nora Ephron is my hero. She possesses an unequalled talent and has penned some very famous romantic comedies including When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and You’ve Got Mali. Just to name a few.

I Remember Nothing is a series of reflections by Nora on dif
Katherine
Jan 01, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to make of the fact that I really identify with a 69 year old author when I'm 32, but I want to read as much of her stuff as I can right away!!
Chelsey
May 03, 2015 Chelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Like eating chocolate or taking long hot baths, Nora Ephron is a comfort to me. She may not make any grandiose statements about life, but her thoughts are clever, honest and have the perfect amount of bite. Knowing this was the last collection she wrote before her death, and the fact that the book ends with two lists she wrote (knowing she was sick) entitled "What I Won't Miss" and "What I Will Miss" brought a tear to my eye. This woman is simply wonderful, and I'll have what she's having.
Rebecca Foster
Jan 30, 2014 Rebecca Foster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of Ephron’s delightful recollections about aging, memory, coping with new technology, ridiculous food fads, marriage and divorce, writing, filmmaking and – especially here – her early love of journalism. Not quite so laugh-out-loud funny as I Feel Bad About My Neck , or so wry and bittersweet as Heartburn , but still a delicious read that will fly by.
Jody
Mar 09, 2013 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I have always loved Nora's richness, relatability, honesty and humor. This memoir is extremely poignant especially knowing she knew she was sick at the time pen went to paper...I will miss her words.
Valerie
Ephron is worth listening to as an audio book--several times, as I will--as her comic timing is subtle and flawless. Her opening gambit as the dotty old forgetful bat quickly gives way to the most observant person in the room, concerned with the myriad slights and injustices of everyday passive/aggressive encounters. (The "Let me just say" series on restaurant meals!) It's clear that Jerry Seinfeld's work owes an large debt to Ephron. (The wry commentary on everyday life fused to a clear-eyed se ...more
Cindy
Mar 23, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Nora Ephron’s new book, I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections, is for Ephron's contemporaries, that is, females nearing or over the age of fifty who wear scarves to temper hot flashes and hide neck ruffles, who reluctantly and clumsily navigate modern technology, and who have to extract memories from brain cells the way a dentist has to wrestle out a molar. Ephron, who wrote the screenplays for Julie and Julia and When Harry Met Sally and the recent bestseller I Feel Bad About My Neck, can at ...more
Barbara
Jan 14, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Nora Ephron's so I am not an objective reviewer. I love how she expresses herself and I find her funny. She doesn't always cover funny subjects, like divorce and getting old, but she maintains her wit and I like that. Probably not for everyone.
I am generally disappointed in memoirs which began many years ago when I read all of Lillian Hellman's memoirs including Pentimento. I was actually angry when I finished them because I felt cheated. She was clearly a woman of intense feel
Kirsti
Some reviewers have criticized this book for being slight. And it is short, and the pieces in which Ephron bitches about eating in expensive restaurants are unimpressive. But there are some terrific, funny, thought-provoking essays in here. I think she does best when she writes about things that most of us have never experienced:

* what it's like to have a flop as a director, and how that differs from having a flop as a screenwriter and as a playwright

* what happens when a relative dies and you f
Dolly
Feb 04, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women over 30
I recently read I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman and thought it was very humorous. So when I saw this book on display at our local library, I thought it would be another fun, quick read. I enjoyed this book and it was certainly a quick read, but it wasn't nearly as refreshingly witty and candidly self-deprecating as the first book. Somehow it seemed darker and more bitter.

I liked that she included her simple recipe for ricotta pancakes (see below) and yummy-sounding
Linda
May 27, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: SNS 9-1-10 "Fall Books for 2010"
Shelves: chcpl, audio
I have only seen Nora Ephron on screens, TV interviews or her films. This is the first I've read her. I knew when she died last summer that I and the world suffered a loss. I can truly appreciate her loss now.
This short (3 disc) audio book was narrated by Nora. If anyone else would read this book with her intonations, I would think it boring. But, this was just Nora Ephron. Her insights into everyday occurrences hits the center of the target every time. I especially like the essay about e-mail.
N
Madison Mega-Mara...: #116 I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron 1 2 Sep 15, 2015 05:04AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: I Remember Nothing, by Nora Ephron 1 2 May 29, 2013 06:28PM
  • Sister Mother Husband Dog: Etc.
  • About Alice
  • Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
  • Reading My Father
  • My Kitchen Wars
  • JFK Jr., George, & Me: A Memoir
  • New Life, No Instructions
  • Fiction Ruined My Family
  • Det är något som inte stämmer
  • At Large and at Small: Familiar Essays
  • More Baths, Less Talking (Stuff I've Been Reading #4)
  • Complete Poems
  • What Falls Away: A Memoir
  • Diamond in the Rough: A Memoir
  • Shiksa Goddess
  • Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim
  • Life Itself
  • Treatise on Elegant Living
Nora Ephron was an American film director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, and blogger.

She was best known for her romantic comedies and is a triple nominee for the Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay; for Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally... and Sleepless in Seattle. She sometimes wrote with her sister, Delia Ephron.
More about Nora Ephron...

“I am living in the Google years, no question of that. And there are advantages to it. When you forget something, you can whip out your iPhone and go to Google. The Senior Moment has become the Google moment, and it has a much nicer, hipper, younger, more contemporary sound, doesn't it? By handling the obligations of the search mechanism, you almost prove you can keep up....

You can't retrieve you life (unless you're on Wikipedia, in which case you can retrieve an inaccurate version of it).”
30 likes
“From the essay "Twenty-five Things People Have a Shocking Capacity to Be Surprised by Over and Over Again"

1. Journalists sometimes make things up.
2. Journalists sometimes get things wrong.
3. Almost all books that are published as memoirs were initially written as novels, and then the agent/editor said, This might work better as a memoir.
6. Freedom of the press belongs to the man who owns one.”
30 likes