Start by marking “Balance Is a Crock, Sleep Is for the Weak” as Want to Read:
Balance Is a Crock, Sleep Is for the Weak

Balance Is a Crock, Sleep Is for the Weak

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Whether you've just found out that you're pregnant, you're on maternity leave, or you're already back in the office and yet another stressed-out working mom, Amy Eschliman and Leigh Oshirak have written the ultimate guide to what to expect when you're expected back at work.

Weaving their own experiences as “crazy-eyed” working moms with stories from the hundreds they survey
Published April 6th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Balance Is a Crock, Sleep Is for the Weak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balance Is a Crock, Sleep Is for the Weak

Janderson
Why did it take me so long to read this book? because I am a working mom and only get to read about 15 minutes a day. In the bathroom. It was good!
Allison
Light-hearted but surprisingly informative book with lots of practical advice to instill a sense of balance and sanity in working mothers. Parts I found particularly helpful and insightful were interview questions for nannies, ways to ease the pressure at work, and stressing the importance of laying off the guilt and making time for self-care in an environment where work and family compete for 200% of your soul. Added bonus: slow-cooker recipes! One thing that bugged me was that this book assume ...more
Stacie
With a title like this I expected much more encouragement from this book. Anyone who may be new to motherhood and working full time may find this book as a warning; "Look out!" It's discouraging. More of the negative points are brought up than any exploration for organization or stress relief. It's really a focus towards new mothers that have no clue on where to pull themselves together. This would most definitely be a bad read for anyone with postpartum depression. Working and being a mom is no ...more
carissa
Most books for working mothers are earnest, serious guides with some usefull information, but lack the snark and praticality that today's overworked moms relate to. Marketing veterans Amy Eschliman and Leigh Oshirak know firsthand what a struggle it can be to hold down a stressful job while raising a family-and that sometimes the only way to preserve your sanity is with laughter. A survival guide for the rest of us, Balance is a Crock, Sleep is for the Weak is filled with bitterly funny topics l ...more
Alice O'herin
A little bit too cynical, and too many white lies involved.

But the authors are funny and down-to-earth, and it was very enlightening in terms of an unpolished look at working motherhood. Worth a read from my perspective (i.e. a woman who isn't expecting), but maybe not for women who already have the general info down and are looking for real specifics.
Kaye
If you are planning on working after you have children, this book offers some good information. There are substantial sections on managing guilt, not going crazy, and on finding the right child care for you. The main flaw is that the book's contents tend to repeat frequently, making the last half a tough row to hoe.
Alison
An amusing take on working motherhood from two women who are obviously at the CEO level. Some of the info is not as helpful to those of us who don't manage 20 employees, etc. but it's still a good read with some honest tips and guilt-free suggestions for surviving some of the most trying times of motherhood.
Miranda
Some funny anecdotes, but this is really written for rich working moms. You can tell the authors are out of touch with the women that work because they have to to make ends meet. A lot if discussion about nannys and au pairs. Things that are beyond the average working mom's budget.
Kate Rice
Funny and honest, like catching up over coffee with your best girlfriend. Good advice. Two weaknesses would be (1) best suited to upper-middle class income levels and lifestyles and (2) can be a bit discouraging -- at times I felt like throwing up my hands and quitting my job.
Crystal Johnson
I enjoyed this book immensely. You have to have the appropriate sense of humor with it. As a working mom of 3 I needed to know I wasn't alone with my feelings. Not 5 stars because in printing I got a misprint of about 30 pages.
Maya
Apr 04, 2010 Maya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: working (full-time/part-time) moms
Shelves: nonfiction
Hilarious! Every working mom and working mom-to-be should read this book for laughter therapy as well as some good tips
Meredith
Totally hilarious and very true. They are very honest.. I feel like emailing these ladies!
Lu
Lu marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Karyn Osinowo
Karyn Osinowo marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Katy Nustad
Katy Nustad marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Daya Perkins
Daya Perkins marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Aliya Frazier
Aliya Frazier marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Aliya Frazier
Aliya Frazier marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Lisa Moorhead
Lisa Moorhead marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014