Start by marking “The Complete Stories Of Isaac Asimov: V. 1” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Complete Stories O...

Isaac Asimov

The Complete Stories Of Isaac Asimov: V. 1 (Cuentos completos #1)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  3,202 ratings  ·  98 reviews
The first book of the planned definitive three-volume collection of short stories by the prolific Isaac Asimov, whose tales have delighted countless fans for over half a century--a must for every science fiction bookshelf. The series was discontinued after the second volume.
Published (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Stories Of Isaac Asimov, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Stories Of Isaac Asimov

Stephen
4.5 stars. If have not read all of the stories in this collection so this review/rating is only for the stories listed below (which means it may change over time as I read more of them):

The Dead Past: Great short story (actually a novelette) dealing with advanced technology being kept from the public and the conflict that creates with "scientific freedon." The parallels to atomic power and all the benefits and problems that arose as a result are clear. This is a great read.

The Foundation of S.F
Manu Prasad
Forget science fiction, if you are the kind who is affected by story telling and the imagination involved therein, this is a must-read. It's amazing that even after half a century has passed, and humanity has advanced quite a bit, Asimov's work, even in terms of human relationships, raises questions we haven't even begun exploring. He has a great sense of humour, which raises its head at the most improbable moments, thereby making it all the more fun.
The collection has quite a few stories about
Remo

Un retorno a los “clásicos”. Tengo por mi biblioteca unos cuantos libros de cuentos de Isaac Asimov [IA], pero la tentación de tenerlos todos juntos es demasiado grande. Cuando ví que, además, cada tomo valía sólo 5 euros, me lancé sin dudarlo.

¿Qué podemos decir de los cuentos de Asimov? Este señor ha sido uno de los autores más prolíficos que han existido en nuestro tiempo. Llegaba incluso a sacar un libro recopilatorio cada vez que escribía 100 libros (sus famosos Opus 100 y Opus 200). Los cu

Sorin Craciun
This is the first book from the intented to be a three volumes complete Asimov stories (but only the first two was published). It contain 25 stories:

1. The Dead Past: ****

15. Someday: *
José
Apr 12, 2012 José rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to José by: Nahuel
Una colección que no tiene desperdicio, los cuentos de Asimov tratan diversidad temas, en todos, el autor parece conocerlos con profundidad, motivo por el cual se lo considera un erudito. En cada ocasión, el lector es ubicado en un momento determinado del tiempo, bajo diversas condiciones propias de dimensiones y realidades diferentes pero con un leve parecido a la nuestra, lo que logra así conectarnos con esa ficción y finalmente sorprendernos y generalmente dejando una sonrisa al final de cada ...more
Prashanthini Mande
Sep 18, 2014 Prashanthini Mande rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Prashanthini by: Vinoth
This is my first tryst with science fiction and I'm glad I started with Asimov. I expected all the stories to be brilliant, science-wise, but I did not expect Asimov to be this engaging a storyteller. Nor did I expect any kind of short story to have character development. Maybe it's because there is a recurring theme in all these stories, but it took surprisingly short amount of time to familiarize with every character in every story, enough for me to care.

Among his futuristic, sometimes dystop
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I sometimes joke that Isaac Asimov is my intellectual father: although that's not that far from the truth. His essays, pro-reason and pro-science, had a huge influence upon me growing up. He's probably best known for his science fiction novels, but I think his best fiction by far is to be found in his short stories. This first volume collecting his short stories has several of his best. There are 46 short stories here, one from 1941, five from the 1960s, but the bulk are from the fifties. Some d ...more
Brian Hodges
Seriously, how has it taken me this long to discover Isaac Asimov. I'd read "I, Robot" last summer and totally dug it. Then, thanks to StumbleUpon I discovered the story "The Last Question" and was thoroughly mesmerized. After that it was settled, I HAD to read as much of this man's work as possible.

How can I even begin to express my love for this collection of short stories? I know it's a cliche, but they made me feel like a little kid again, curled up in a big comfy chair with a book that made
Karina Vargas
Maravilloso! Aunque no he leído muchos libros de este género, debo decir que este fue un gran introductor. No se trata sólo de la imaginación, el futuro, lo que puede suceder si ocurre una cosa o sucede otra, la ciencia como herramienta y la única salvación, de lo posible o lo imposible, y la ficción como un escape de la realidad; es la manera de contarlo, de escribirlo y de pensarlo. Todo está construido de una forma que el lector simplemente queda asombrado ante esa puerta que se construye y s ...more
Mrs. Carbonneau's Class
Isaac asimov the complete stories is a collection of short stories written by him over the years of writing. some stories are good others are of lesser quality i am going to show one i like and one i don't
one i like was “Franchise” it was about a future where elections are won by a single conversation with a computer and it performs a complicated algorithm based on the conversation to determine the winner. its plot is suspenseful and unique.
one i didn't like was the dead the past it was about a
Mr. Garcia
Must read stories include: The Last Question, Nightfall, and Profession. I believe Asimov was a true optimist, and he helped me to believe that we should have faith in our abilities, our society, and technology to make our future better. His short stories quickly establish interesting and compelling characters and unfold unpredictably.
Ken Doggett
If you've ever read Isaac Asimov's stories you can understand why he was considered such an enormous talent. This book is a collection of his short stories that were written and published in the 1940s, throughout the 1950s, and into the 1960s. Certain social situations and much of the technology is now dated. For example, his idea of the dating scene in the 1950s aligned more closely, I believe, to the 1890s, and resembled more the customs depicted in Pride and Prejudice, than, say, in the James ...more
Gerald
This is a collection of Asimov's short stories from the 1950s and 1960s. As a result, some of the technological ideas are a bit dated (like his constant use of "Multivac" the gigantic technocratic computer). Also, Asimov could not seem to write female characters with much depth. Still many of these stories are insightful and visionary, asking questions about things like the impact of technology on privacy, or the true nature of education. Most are the sort of clever and funny stories that Asimov ...more
~eljefe
Jun 07, 2007 ~eljefe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fun
totally fun short stories that make you think of things you wouldn't otherwise
Kathryn
As always, Isaac Asimov's stories take the reader to a variety of places, times, perspectives and situations. There were so many thought provoking stories in this collection that I feel like I should immediately read it again to fully appreciate them. Unfortunately, I have library books to finish up and return that I completely neglected once I started this collection - so rereading will have to wait for another day.

Asimov deals with many themes, but most of the stories were along the same theme
Lalo
Por mucho, el mejor libro de cuentos que he leído que yo recuerde. Hay de todo y para todos los gustos, pensé que iban a ser puros del estilo de Yo, Robot, pero no, hay hasta algunos "apocalípticos" y uno que otro detectivesco.

Creo que leí un par de cuentos Insuperables. Sí, con mayúscula, me dejaron sin dormir y/o meditando todo el día, de esos que en 20 años voy a seguir recordando.

Mis favoritos(5 estrellas)sin orden en específico, fueron:

-Profesión/Profession(1957). Uno de los cuentos que má
Bob
Isaac Asimov is obviously one of the most popular Science Fiction writers of all times. He wrote over 300 books in the course of his life, from the 1950s to the 1990s.

This volume is not the Complete Story VI as stated above, but the Complete Story I and contains his earliest short stories. For over 600 pages, the book is a fairly quick read.

The stories are typically themed around the troubles of the times (1950s). The 1950s saw the growth of television, atomic energy, the hydrogen bomb, rocket
Antonio Monico
A very high-quality array of short stories in this volume. Really attests to Isaac Asimov's genius, and imagination. Not a dull hair in this tome, which should be a quick read regardless of the 600+ pages of intrigue.

A few of my favorites were:

"Gimmicks Three" - A man finds himself dealing with the underworld, only to find all his success was a deterministic illusion. Ah, but there is a bit of redemption at the end.

"Satisfaction Guaranteed" - Mrs. Belmont detests the idea of being a test subj
Ben Mok
Jul 11, 2013 Ben Mok rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science-Fiction/Mystery Fans
Shelves: science-fiction
Isaac Asimov needs no introduction, I believe, not especially to those well-versed in the Science-Fiction genre, a much-maligned area of speculative fiction that has only in recent (well, recent at least in literary terms) years been receiving the recognition it deserves. Famous for genre mainstays such as "I, Robot" and the Foundation trilogy, his stories focus primarily around classic Sci-Fi themes such as possible futuristic social scenarios and the dangers of technological proliferation. He ...more
Melinda Brasher
Great high-concept science fiction. I didn't care much for most of the fantasy and poetry, but the sci fi really made me think.

Asimov's stories aren't very action-packed, which is cool. Resist Hollywood! There's a lot of sitting around and talking, and boy is it interesting talk. Tricky issues and fascinating possibilities. It also gives some good insight into the mindset of the time (most stories were written in the 50s). It's amazing how so many of his predictions for the future were so dead r
May
May 17, 2013 May rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to May by: BDH.
I liked it, or at least most of it.

Since it's short stories I rated each one alone; so out of five:
1. The Dead Past: 5
17. Dreaming is a Private Thing: 3
18. Profession: 5
19. The Feeling of Pow
Selene
Excellent! Out of the 42 stories that I read, not ONE was dull/uninteresting. Each one is a triumph of the imagination (some more than others), and I really enjoyed reading inside of Asimov's head.

It seems to me as if, in most tales, Asimov is trying to redeem humanity. There is an inherently negative view of humans as a race in science fiction; they are bellicose, rebellious, and murderous. However, time and again, Asimov manages to make this humanity's most important feature: our will and stro
Selene
Jan 10, 2012 Selene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to think

Karina
I got this one to re-read Nightfall story, but found more thought-provoking stories. Since these are old, some of them deal with the atom bombs, the possibility of the atom war destroying the planet, and have the undercurrent of the enmity between the U.S. and Russia. Despite that anachronistic last part (U.S. and Russia aren't enemies anymore), I've enjoyed the stories. I like the way Asimov turns everything around by the end of each story. The stories that made the most impression on me were " ...more
Michael
You can't go wrong with Asimov. He had an unpretentious style, optimism, and a subversive inclination. All of these combined made for great science fiction writing.
Tim Giauque
Those of you who’ve been reading my reviews for a while know I like short stories, and Isaac Asimov wrote a lot of ‘em. These were a lot of fun, if you don’t mind the outdated gender politics and portrayals of futuristic computer technology (huge! Tape reels!).

Asimov is one of the few Golden Age sci-fi authors who I believe had a mostly positive view of humanity and its future, and his stories focus largely on man’s place in the universe and our ultimate destiny. He brings a sense of humor to hi
Mowai
an amazing body of work, just by the number of stories he wrote. if you like robots, I do, this is something to get. A collection of short stories, good for bed time reading or just to read something different. it's not all about robots, though, as some of the stories are about just the future and the impact of technology on society, or how we might interact with different worlds or species from different places. Just amazed at how much he wrote about that hadn't existed yet but we now have.
Jason Ruggles
This book is one of the best collection of short stories I've read. I love Asimov's ability to tell a compelling story in so few words, his nuanced humor and his imagination (albeit from a '50s viewpoint). But the thing I love most of all, is his short story "punch lines."
Mateo Rinland
Mis favoritos: "Espacio vital", "El pasado ha muerto", "La última pregunta".

Otros recomendados: "El chistoso", "El niño feo", "Anochecer", "Manchas verdes", "Segregacionista", "Huésped", "Soñar es asunto privado", "Sensación de poder", "Creced y multiplicaos", "Cuánto se divertían", "El bardo inmortal".

Los peorcitos (culpables de tirar el puntaje abajo): "¿Qué es esa cosa llamada amor?", "Aquí no hay nadie excepto...", "El brujo moderno" y toda la poesía cómica.
  • The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
  • Masterpieces: The Best Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 5: We Can Remember It For You Wholesale
  • Off the Main Sequence: The Other Science Fiction Stories of Robert A. Heinlein
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
  • The New Space Opera
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century
  • Dangerous Visions
  • Collected Stories, Vol. 1
  • Norby, the Mixed-Up Robot (Norby, #1)

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)

“Every man's position on Earth is restricted to the distance he can walk.'
-- "The Last Trump”
4 likes
“I suppose there's no way of putting the mushroom cloud back into that nice, shiny uranium sphere.” 2 likes