Start by marking “Boots on the Ground by Dusk” as Want to Read:
Boots on the Ground by Dusk

Boots on the Ground by Dusk

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  13 reviews

On April 22, 2004, Lieutenant David Uthlaut received orders from Khost, Afghanistan, that his platoon was to leave the town of Magarah and "have boots on the ground before dark" in Manah, a small village on the border of Pakistan. It was an order the young lieutenant protested vehemently, but the commanders at the Tactical Command Center disregarded his objections. Uthlaut

Published April 29th 2008 by Rodale Press, Inc. (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Boots on the Ground by Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boots on the Ground by Dusk

Very sad episode in our history both relative to the Tillman family and what it reveals about our military and political leaders (in this case Bush, Rumsfeld and crew). The material gets a bit dry and repetitive in places, but overall all the military jargon is made very tolerable.
An important book in terms of revealing the difference between honest, well-meaning patriotism versus the vacuous jingoism we see everyday. Can't help but love this family.
Chris Ross
I read this book after listening to Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer and it is a remarkable book. I cried a lot and it reads very fast like an action film. You get a pretty good sense of some things that happen in the military that the average, civilian, American never hears or knows about.
Listening to this book was quite powerful as it is narrated by Mary Tillman. Her and her family's tenacious efforts to uncover the truth about her son's death and the maddening actions of the U.S. government and military in the aftermath are commendable. I also appreciate her efforts to highlight the stories of other families facing similar obstacles who don't have the benefit of having a world famous son to spur better results. I highly recommend one listen to this in conjunction with reading/l ...more
I think everybody should read this book because it is very inspiring. It makes me think about the hard decisions more than once. This book also shows me how well the U.S. government really is. This book has opened my eyes to see that the people who serve in the army really need to be respected. I hope people read this book to find out the real truth of Pat Tillman and the family he left behind. Pat had a loving mom who wrote this book because she was determined to find out the truth about her de ...more
Steve Hare
Nice perspective on what happened to Pat Tillman and how his family dealt with his suspicious death.
Ben Smith
Powerful description of Pat and his family from his Mom.
Jun 04, 2014 Mardi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Really informative book on the Tillman family's trials in trying to get an answer from the government about Pat Tillman's death. It gave several flashbacks into Pat's childhood and how he developed into the man he became. This book is written with a Mother's bias; and a Mother should be biased. However, I think the author poured her heart into this book as a way to tell Pat's story, and to expose the military coverup.

It was well-written and I enjoyed it immensely.
This is a really intense look at a mother's love for her son. She would stop at nothing to find out the truth about what happened to him. I kept having to put it down and go for walks between chapters because it upset me so much, and it's not like I didn't go into it already knowing how the story ends. It inspired me to sign up for and run in Pat's Run in Tempe for the past two years and I think I'll keep going every year for the rest of my life.
I'm glad I read Pat Tillman's biography before I read this book. Boots on the Ground is Tillman's story told from the point of view of his mother. It is about all the roadblocks the Army and government put in the way to deceive his family on how he died.
Must read by Pat Tillman's mother following John Krakhaur's "Where men win glory". The obvious CYA and cover up of friendly fire by military chain of command was incredibly poor reflection on military leadership.
Very good book. Hard to see our country with its warts, but something we all need to realize.
A book for any mother who loves her son/sons
Ashley Taylor
Amazing. So sad, but so worth the tears.
Dylan Todd
Dylan Todd marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Aarika marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Jason Wills
Jason Wills marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Tirth marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Holly marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Betty marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Tom Menner
Tom Menner marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • You'll Be Sor-ree: A Guadalcanal Marine Remembers The Pacific War
  • The President, the Pope, And the Prime Minister: Three Who Changed the World
  • The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight
  • The Osama Bin Laden I Know: An Oral History of Al Qaeda's Leader
  • Among the Heroes
  • Among Heroes: A U.S. Navy SEAL's True Story of Friendship, Heroism, and the Ultimate Sacrifice
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media
  • The Echo from Dealey Plaza: the True Story of the First African American on the White House Secret Service Detail and His Quest for Justice After the Assassination of JFK
  • Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush
  • Lone Star Rising: Vol. 1: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1908-1960
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • The Letter: My Journey Through Love, Loss, and Life
  • The Work: My Search for a Life That Matters
  • Extortion: How Politicians Extract Your Money, Buy Votes, and Line Their Own Pockets
  • War on the Middle Class: How the Government, Big Business, and Special Interest Groups Are Waging War onthe American Dream and How to Fight Back
  • After America: Get Ready for Armageddon