The Knife's Edge

The Knife's Edge

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  69 reviews
A SHORT STORY by the author of the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Nominee for Best First Series...

She's a queen with deadly enemies and dark sexual longings. She yearns to give herself over to the hands of another, even at the point of a blade. But can she trust her sacred medallion to protect her from the royal assasin who wants to seize her throne, her body, and her he...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Stephanie Dray

To ask other readers questions about The Knife's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knife's Edge

Usako
These sixty pages aroused a smile from me -- not necessarily from the erotica itself but the battle of wits, the foreplay if you will. The line "lions mate only with lions" clearly expresses the theme of this story. The two powerful adversaries are circling each other, trying to decipher if the other is trustworthy enough for one moment of weakness in mating.

If you're a fan of chess and political strategy, this story will hook you in and leave you wanting more. You WANT to learn more about what...more
SheLove2Read
Never having read Stephanie Draven before, I picked up this freebie at BN with no expectations, and am very happy I did. This is a hidden gem of the first order. The short story (60 pages) revolves around an anti-hero who plots to seduce the Queen and kill her for her throne. The only problem is that she is protected by a pendant that renders any attempt on her person null. Not quite magical, yet almost sentient. I cannot say much about the plot without giving it away, however it was a very enga...more
Cara Bristol
This historical short story hooked me right away. An aide to the queen plans assassinate her -- if he can get her remove her protective medallion. To that he must bed her. The Knife's Edge is an interesting read about a game of cat-and-mouse in which winner takes all.
willaful
What we might get if Megan Whalen Turner switched to erotica. (It's not particularly kinky or graphic, by the way.) As a romance fan, I am dying for a sequel.
Jeanne
There are two kinds of characters that I love those are anti-heroes and strong women. This short story has both and portrays them unflinchingly. Truly at the start of the book I wasn't sure if I liked Dardanus at first. He is an unrepentant manipulator and murder after all. He is also very buried in his own head, which makes sense with the shady deeds he carries out. It also proved to be a fascinating way to view this unconventional love story.

Because we see through Dardanus' jaded eyes we make...more
Andrea
** I would give this 2.5* if I could.**

THE KNIFE'S EDGE seemed like it would be a nice, quick selection for the feature. If I remember correctly, the story was touted as an erotic romance. But what it really read like was a prequel teaser, or maybe a prologue for a much more in-depth novel. The reader is literally dropped into the middle of a fairly complicated political scenario. The narrator, Dardanus, is an advisor to the lonely Queen Nestra. Since he is a "bastard", Dardanus can never assume...more
Adaline Raine
I was literally blown away when I got to the end of the story and realized how quickly you fall into the characters world. If I could give this story more stars I would! The interaction between this super powerful woman and her would be assassin is just incredible. I literally felt like I was standing in the corner and watching this tale play out. Fantastic use of detail and time. Very dark due to the main character's mission but after the Queen's medallion digs into his soul/mind/heart you just...more
Elly Helcl
For as much as I am learning to hate the way some authors write short stories...I actually really enjoyed this one.

The bad? It was WAY TOO SHORT! I want MORE! It was a very well written story that grabbed my attention and held me riveted until the end.

The good? The entire short story.

So if I have nothing but good things to say about this story, why only four stars...

I can almost guaranty this. If the author ever took the time to make this into a full length novel, I would probably be five starr...more
Nikki Wilde
Super fast quick enchantingly erotic and completely enticing read. I came away with... that was awesome! I want more, where's the rest? Is there no more. SHOOT.

Dardanus is a bastard after the throne. The only thing that stands in his way is Queen Nestra and the medallion that protects her from harm. We learn that Dardanus has had a scheme in play for a long time and he and his conspirators have put a lot of thought into getting rid of Nestra. Unfortunately, she never takes off her medallion fore...more
Alexia Chantel
Draven proves she has talent with this novella, it doesn't miss a beat and will have you engrossed before the first page is read. Never before has an anti-hero been crafted so well. You feel his hatred, see the justification of his actions. Then the Queen submits to him and he is broken, an amazing transition. The ending fits perfectly, even without giving you the happily ever after you yearn for.
A.R. Von
Treachery, deceit and greed are the motivation for Dardanus' actions towards the queens. But he finds it to be different once he gets to where he wants to be.

A short, and sweet hot read that left me wondering what would happen next with Dardanus and Nestra.
Sarah (saz101)
Very short, very light read. Essentially a sex scene with a bit of intriguing back story. Starts out strong, and kept my attention, but ended right as it was getting good.
Liss Capello
I hadn't marked this read before, but I think I may actually have read it once previously. It's got a familiarly otherworldly flavor and I love a good antihero. (Ha, oxymoron much?)
Alixendra
The only thing I have to say for this book is that it officially holds my favorite ending! a good bad guy as the 'hero'. Totally new twist!!
Themis
We have a quick sexy scene nothing to explicit. Sir Darnadus falls in love and forgets about the knife.
DJ
Short story but hot, liked it.
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is a very short story that actually has more verbal foreplay than actual spicy bits - I never thought I'd complain about that! From the synopsis, I thought this book would be different to what it was. Still enjoyable but could quite easily have done with a few more words, if only to make it up to a Novella. There is a big world within this story that we only see a smidgeon of.

Good coffee break book and with lots of excerpts from other books in case you were looking for anymore.
Tasha
From what I did read, what the book is about, I couldn’t help myself I had to search this book out. Luckily I found it for free on Smashwords.com. As soon as I put it on my kindle I was reading it immediately. It drew me in and wouldn’t let go until the very last page. Yes it is a short story, and yes usually short stories suck because the author can’t put all the 6,000 details in that are needed, and not all short stories are perfect but I found this one pretty damn close.
Joy

42 pages

Wow, 0 to 1000 kms an hour in the space of a couple of seconds.

Our anti-hero is a royal bastard, cold, calculating, manipulative and a murderer. Through first person narrative the reader is plunged immediately into his head. Dardanus is determined to assassinate the Queen and claim her throne for himself but first he must find a way to separate her from her protective medallion and there’s only one way he can think of to achieve that. Seduction.

42 pages of raw sensual grit…but gad damni...more
Kelly
Very short

Very short

But good story. I think I would have loved it has a whole book. Well worth it!

Good villain. A lot of information for a short story.
Elena
This short story seemed like i started reading from the middle of a complicated book. The idea seems very good, so i don't understand why the author bothered with 20 pages of weird verbal "foreplay" but didn't spend some time on writing out a proper novella actually telling us this complicated story and how it ends! It was in the erotica genre- but the sex scene was extremely short, mild and blah, with an unnecessary slap at the beginning, that in my mind qualifies as woman abuse....
Also, the f...more
Rebecca A. Rogers
I think what I liked most about The Knife’s Edge was that it’s a fantasy erotica. I don’t see that very often (mostly just contemporary), so this was a nice change.

The gist of the story is that the queen wears a sacred medallion that protects her from harm. She also can’t have relations with a man as long as she wears it. Her closest advisor, however, has other plans. He wants the medallion for himself, since he should be the rightful heir to the throne. But in the process of seducing the queen...more
RedIza
This story was advertised as an erotica, which is why I read it (and because I got it for free) and why I only gave it 3 stars bordering on 4.
I didn't get what I was looking for, but yet, this quickie appealed to me because of the characters, strong-willed and not goody-two-shoes, bordering on evil on the side of the H, and because the attraction and suspense is very well built.
They circle around each other, test each other and you never know if one is going to kill the other or spend the night...more
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
This story starts off with lots of potential -- lots of description and a great premise, with some interesting characters -- but falls flat in the end. Right when it gets exciting and the sexy times start, it stops. Sounds like there's another story after this one, but I needed more detail and, well ... just more!

Read more reviews on my blog, Reading In Winter:

This a free ebook I obtained from Kindle on October 2, 2012.
Leslye
Excellent read. Intriguing, with a lot of character development packed in to a very small space.
Kristen
A very short read, which is disappointing because it was really interesting and made me want to know more. I wanted to know more about Dardanus and his back story, and of course, I wanted to know what happened the next day. Even if the author hadn't made this a full-length novel, it could have been a longer novella; there is so much potential.

While I was somewhat turned off by the demand/need of submission thing, I did enjoy the intrigue and the set-up, as well as the surprise of Dardanus's chan...more
Ashley
A very, very short read, but what there was of it was engaging. I liked the setup and intrigue of it all. I would have liked more backstory on Dardanus to put his feelings in better context. Ihis felt like an except; it would be an a great starting point for a full-length story. Also, only half the kindle file is this story, the other half is excerpts from the author's other works. That makes an already very short story seem even shorter. However, for the price of free, it was entertaining enoug...more
Angie
This was a short ebook but I really liked it. It wasn't just sex- there was also internal struggle and a bit of story in there. :)
Sandy
Good short story. Like the writing. Just wished there was a little more to the story because I wanted to see what would happen next, but still a good read. And now I want to read more by her.
  • Wild Wild Widow
  • Love's Portrait
  • A Highlander for the Holidays (A Highland Erotic Romance)
  • To Tame a Renegade (Delaney Trilogy,#2)
  • Dark Prelude
  • Untamed (Wild Women, #1)
  • A Wet & Wild Night
  • Forevermore (Jewel #2.5)
  • Passion and Pride (A Historical Romance)
  • Seduced by the Angel
  • The Reiver
  • Desire's Sirocco (WindWorld, #1)
  • Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)
  • The Ride
  • Stolen (The Madame X School of Sex, #0.5)
  • Shelter from the Storm
  • Larkspur (Flowers of Camelot #5)
  • Wicked Desires (Wicked Affairs, #1)
Stephanie Draven is currently a denizen of Baltimore, that city of ravens and purple night skies. She lives there with her favorite nocturnal creatures–three scheming cats and a deliciously wicked husband. And when she is not busy with dark domestic rituals, she writes her books.

Stephanie has always been a storyteller. In elementary school, she channeled Scheherazade, weaving a series of stories t...more
More about Stephanie Draven...
In Bed with the Opposition It Stings So Sweet Poisoned Kisses (Mythica #3) Dark Sins and Desert Sands (Mythica #5) Midnight Medusa (Mythica #1)