Start by marking “In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training” as Want to Read:
In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training

In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Reach your highest goals! Whether you are an athlete, coach, or want to become a high achiever in another walk of life, In Pursuit of Excellence provides the expert advice and proven techniques to fulfill your aspirations. You'll learn how to develop a more positive outlook, focus your commitment, overcome obstacles to desired outcomes, and achieve greater personal and pro ...more
Kindle Edition, Fourth Edition
Published (first published December 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about In Pursuit of Excellence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Pursuit of Excellence

Suzy Barrera
When I moved to the Olympic Training Center in 1997, this was a book that I was given by my coach. It was really great, not just for sports, but for any kind of mental training. It was the first book I ever read "actively", and by that I mean that I wrote in: underlining, making notes, etc. I still refer back to it all the time when I needmotivation. Wonderful book!
Damon Barnhurst
Recently a friend has introduced me to a set of cds, and while listening to one of them it reminded me of this book I read while pursuing my masters degree. I was really into this book. I took chapter notes etc. I did a presentation to my classmates about the book. I borrowed it from the instructor and now I want to get my hands on it again to reread it. The power of positive thought processes is the core of the message.
Jess
Written by a sport psychologist, this book is written primarily to help athletes enhance their performance, but I found a lot of value that can be applied to other aspects of life. Chapters on goal setting and positive imagery were most beneficial for me.
Ka
If you're the type who recognises the similarities between succeeding in sports and other areas of life, then Terry Orlick's "In Pursuit of Excellence" is a book that you will definitely want to have on your to-read list.

As a sports psychologist, Orlick takes us through different case studies and explains how an individual's psychological state plays a fundamentally important role in determining success.

While Orlick draws from many examples involving athletes, the lessons that he leaves us with
Zac P.
In the book In Pursuit of Excellence, by Terry Orlick the author is trying to give athletes and also just regular peoople advice about how to push through certain situations and how to bring the best out of yourself in given situations. Also, in this book the author gives you the ability to rate yourself on certain things and in the things that you dont do to good on when you rate yourself, he tells you to go out and work on these certain things because it will make you a lot better than you wer ...more
Richard
The author reritorates the need for positivity within preformance and gives the reader a chance of self evaluation. The book itself presents itself as a basic argument for positivity and focus, which you can achieve by looking at your past preformances and learning from it, (what works well, what doesnt) and then acting upon the feedback you have gained through this exercise. Content of the book also covers self imagery and distraction (external or internal). Above all the book provides you with ...more
Grace
I read this awhile ago for a sports physiology class.

I definitely remember liking it and didn't find it boring or tedious.

The author had also been involved in fencing and I've met and know some of the athletes and coaches that he mentioned in the book which was rather exciting, seeing as fencing is never mentioned in anything.

We also have some of his CD's lying around the fencing center...
Sue
Jan 22, 2009 Sue is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Given to me by my friend's Uncle Terry. He's an accomplished Sports Psychologist and travels all over the world to work with athletes and olympians etc... to maintain focus and sharpness under pressure and much more I presume.

I'm sure it will help with my own focus in forms of training i'm enduring. I just started it, but so far so good.
David
Got this book when I was a cross country runner in college. With this book I was able to get my time down and even received an award for Most Improved Runner. At the beginning my times were around 35-36 minutes. My personal best at the last college meet I ever had was 27 minutes 21 seconds. True testament to how good this book is.
Jude
I really enjoyed this - to get the most out of it you need to read it a few times. The first time is just for pleasure - the next few times you can take more out of it.

If you struggle sometimes with finding you or keeping your focus on something - the strategies work well.

Comelibros
Este libro enseña a desarrollar un punto de vista más positivo, para lograr alcancanzar las obligaciones. Muy bueno para deportistas.
Isabella Burke
Exactly what it says on the cover. Probably not interesting to everyone - I think the message here was FOCUS ON YOUR GOAL. Check.
Nkoyo
I read this book during my senior year of college and enjoyed the principles and motivation it gave me.
Lindsey
This is an essential book for athletes in all sports. I have read it on more than one occassion.
Joe Dawson
A solid, useful book by a leading sport psychologist. Easy read.
Matthew Brown
Best sports psychology book I've ever read. Period.
Chad Morgan
Chad Morgan is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2014
Gina Alward
Gina Alward marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Félix Brochu
Félix Brochu marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
E
E marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Dr. K.
Dr. K. marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Mike Hardy
Mike Hardy marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Joe Perry
Joe Perry marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence
  • Body Mind Mastery: Creating Success in Sport and Life
  • Essentials Of Entrepreneurship And Small Business Management
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • I Can't Accept Not Trying: Michael Jordan on the Pursuit of Excellence
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do: Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way
  • Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis
  • Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others
  • Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: Taosports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business, and Life
  • Better Dads, Stronger Sons: How Fathers Can Guide Boys to Become Men of Character
  • Rough Justice
  • The Serpent's Coil
  • Pensar Bien, Sentirse Bien / Think Well, Feel Well
Embracing Your Potential Psyching for Sport: Mental Training for Athletes Cooperative Games and Sports: Joyful Activities for Everyone Free to Feel Great: Teaching Children to Excel at Living Positive Living Skills: Joy and Focus for Everyone