Start by marking “In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training” as Want to Read:
In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training

In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  162 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Reach your highest goals! Whether you are an athlete, coach, or want to become a high achiever in another walk of life, In Pursuit of Excellence provides the expert advice and proven techniques to fulfill your aspirations. You'll learn how to develop a more positive outlook, focus your commitment, overcome obstacles to desired outcomes, and achieve greater personal and pro ...more
Kindle Edition, Fourth Edition
Published (first published December 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about In Pursuit of Excellence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Pursuit of Excellence

Suzy Marnell
When I moved to the Olympic Training Center in 1997, this was a book that I was given by my coach. It was really great, not just for sports, but for any kind of mental training. It was the first book I ever read "actively", and by that I mean that I wrote in: underlining, making notes, etc. I still refer back to it all the time when I needmotivation. Wonderful book!
Damon Barnhurst
Apr 19, 2013 Damon Barnhurst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently a friend has introduced me to a set of cds, and while listening to one of them it reminded me of this book I read while pursuing my masters degree. I was really into this book. I took chapter notes etc. I did a presentation to my classmates about the book. I borrowed it from the instructor and now I want to get my hands on it again to reread it. The power of positive thought processes is the core of the message.
Jess
Jun 20, 2011 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a sport psychologist, this book is written primarily to help athletes enhance their performance, but I found a lot of value that can be applied to other aspects of life. Chapters on goal setting and positive imagery were most beneficial for me.
Ka
Mar 30, 2013 Ka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-and-body
If you're the type who recognises the similarities between succeeding in sports and other areas of life, then Terry Orlick's "In Pursuit of Excellence" is a book that you will definitely want to have on your to-read list.

As a sports psychologist, Orlick takes us through different case studies and explains how an individual's psychological state plays a fundamentally important role in determining success.

While Orlick draws from many examples involving athletes, the lessons that he leaves us with
Zac P.
Nov 06, 2012 Zac P. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book In Pursuit of Excellence, by Terry Orlick the author is trying to give athletes and also just regular peoople advice about how to push through certain situations and how to bring the best out of yourself in given situations. Also, in this book the author gives you the ability to rate yourself on certain things and in the things that you dont do to good on when you rate yourself, he tells you to go out and work on these certain things because it will make you a lot better than you wer ...more
Richard
The author reritorates the need for positivity within preformance and gives the reader a chance of self evaluation. The book itself presents itself as a basic argument for positivity and focus, which you can achieve by looking at your past preformances and learning from it, (what works well, what doesnt) and then acting upon the feedback you have gained through this exercise. Content of the book also covers self imagery and distraction (external or internal). Above all the book provides you with ...more
Grace
Jul 28, 2009 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this awhile ago for a sports physiology class.

I definitely remember liking it and didn't find it boring or tedious.

The author had also been involved in fencing and I've met and know some of the athletes and coaches that he mentioned in the book which was rather exciting, seeing as fencing is never mentioned in anything.

We also have some of his CD's lying around the fencing center...
Sue
Jan 22, 2009 Sue is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Given to me by my friend's Uncle Terry. He's an accomplished Sports Psychologist and travels all over the world to work with athletes and olympians etc... to maintain focus and sharpness under pressure and much more I presume.

I'm sure it will help with my own focus in forms of training i'm enduring. I just started it, but so far so good.
David
Apr 08, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this book when I was a cross country runner in college. With this book I was able to get my time down and even received an award for Most Improved Runner. At the beginning my times were around 35-36 minutes. My personal best at the last college meet I ever had was 27 minutes 21 seconds. True testament to how good this book is.
Jude
Nov 24, 2011 Jude rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this - to get the most out of it you need to read it a few times. The first time is just for pleasure - the next few times you can take more out of it.

If you struggle sometimes with finding you or keeping your focus on something - the strategies work well.

Comelibros
Este libro enseña a desarrollar un punto de vista más positivo, para lograr alcancanzar las obligaciones. Muy bueno para deportistas.
Melanie
Dec 21, 2014 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like this book at all. His approach to psychology in sport didn't help me and he seemed so wordy. Not my thing!
Isabella Burke
Aug 24, 2012 Isabella Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what it says on the cover. Probably not interesting to everyone - I think the message here was FOCUS ON YOUR GOAL. Check.
Nkoyo
Apr 02, 2009 Nkoyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book during my senior year of college and enjoyed the principles and motivation it gave me.
Lindsey
Aug 07, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an essential book for athletes in all sports. I have read it on more than one occassion.
Dwayne Harapnuik
Foundational ideas in sport psychology. Should be in every coach and athletes bookshelf
Joe Dawson
A solid, useful book by a leading sport psychologist. Easy read.
Matthew Brown
Apr 03, 2013 Matthew Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best sports psychology book I've ever read. Period.
Kayla Grover
Kayla Grover marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Andre
Andre added it
Jun 26, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Lorena Bendz
Lorena Bendz marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Ken Mahony
Ken Mahony marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Lezlie
Lezlie added it
Jun 15, 2016
Chase Edward
Chase Edward marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Steve Orbell
Steve Orbell rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Joy Scarbrough
Joy Scarbrough marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Lar Wall
Lar Wall marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Lucie
Lucie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
  • Body Mind Mastery: Training for Sport and Life
  • Hockey Tough
  • Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence
  • Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • Core Performance: The Revolutionary Workout Program to Transform Your Body and Your Life
  • Social Boom!: How to Master Business Social Media to Brand Yourself, Sell Yourself, Sell Your Product, Dominate Your Industry Market, Save Your Butt, Rake in the Cash, and Grind Your Competition Into the Dirt
  • Leadership Lessons of Jesus
  • Essentials Of Entrepreneurship And Small Business Management
  • 212: The Extra Degree
  • Advanced Selling Strategies: The Proven System of Sales Ideas, Methods, and Techniques Used by Top Salespeople
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • I Can't Accept Not Trying: Michael Jordan on the Pursuit of Excellence
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches - Third Edition
  • Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do: Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make

“Why compound the problem by focusing your energy on things that are beyond your immediate control?” 0 likes