The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages

The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Contains wisdom for addressing issues facing us - relationships, authority, community, balance, work, simplicity, prayer, and spiritual and psychological development.
Published December 1st 1992 by Crossroad Publishing Company (first published October 25th 1992)

CatholicDadsHQ.com
The insights gained from this book are powerful, and derived from just a few minutes a day of reading. I highly recommend this book as a starting point for anyone with a busy schedule. After reading it, you will find, as I did, how much can be done in life to walk closer with Christ.
Sean
The Rule of Benedict is a simple rule book for monastic life that was written over 1500 years ago. In it one can learn about the importance of community life within the monastery. Each and every person is to submit to the rule, although all throughout there are exceptions because of unforeseen situations, and disobedience in regards to the rule will result in varying degrees of punishment. The rule speaks about all the various tasks that occur in a monastery whether the work of God or the work...more
heardtheowl
I'm not even Catholic but even I can get behind the Rules of Saint Benedict. I like this volume because it relates how people can apply to rule of St. Benedict everyday in their lives. I also love how the author incorporates the teachings of other religions into the book.
Claudine
My first four-month daily reading of the Rule of Benedict with Joan Chittister's commentary (which was getting repetitive).
Barry

Over the past several years, my friendship with Brother Cassian, one of the monks at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA, has been a special blessing. I visit him occasionally, usually arriving at the monastery in time to join the community for Vespers, singing the Psalms set to Gregorian Chants, which is done antiphonally from choir stalls facing each other across the nave of the monastery church. Cassian was our prayer partner this past week because on Wednesday, after his first fi...more
Bob Price
Looking for a 'good' devotional? Then look no further, the Rule of Benedict is here!

Joan Chittister has done the Church a great favor by taking Benedict's Rule and arranging it for daily reading.

The Rule is good enough to stand on it's own, but Chittster has added daily thoughts to help the reader understand it and apply it to their lives in the 21st Century. She has taken a perfect text for because Benedict, while being strict to modern standards, is very adaptable for modern life. While it be...more
Jim Andersen
This book was a helpful and insightful book. With a book like this it certainly does seem possible that one could treat their own life as ones monastery. These seemingly monastic rules have been given a contemporary "living in the world" understanding as well and I think people would benefit from reading this book, it is somewhat simplistic making it easy for people to read. Nonetheless, I feel that this book reminds me of the scene in the New Testament when Jesus was asked what is The Greatest...more
Elaine
I am currently on my second reading of this fine little book, and fully expect to begin reading it again upon completion. "The Rule" is intended as part of daily reading of the Benedictine monastic tradition. Sr. Joan provides commentary that breathes life into the ancient text, giving reverence to Benedict's wisdom and providing a life-affirming understanding of the rule as it applies to life today.

This volume is intended to be read as part of a daily routine. Each day provides wisdom to savor...more
Elaine
Jan 21, 2014 Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone wishing to deepen his or her spirituality and especially Oblate novices
Shelves: spiritual
A Benedictine Oblate is to read part of the Rule each day, reading the whole Rule three times a year. this book follows that recommendation, each day providing clarification of the Rule in today's world. Sister Joan provides so much spiritual insight. I highly recommend this book for Oblate novices and even into one's second year.

I shall certainly read it again.
Mike
The Rule of Benedict was originally written more than 1,500 years ago. Chittester's book reproduces the rule (73 rules actually)with commentary for the modern reader.

The material is good and I would have given the book five stars if not for Chittester's insistence on making everything "gender neutral." Replacing the word "abbot" with "prioress or abbot" makes parts of the book tedious to read.

I would still reccommend the book to anyone interested in Benedictine spiritually. Just be prepared to w...more
Pam I.
This book offers much to ponder on humility, obedience, community, balance, leadership and simplicity. The commentary is alternated with Benedict's text to give insight for application in the contemporary non-monastic Christian life. The book is arranged by date for three reading cycles per year, and I am trying to read a section each day. This has become a grounding experience for me as I face the daily struggles of this world.
Donna Reeve
I had to read chapters of this for my class. I ended up reading the entire book. Joan Chittister did a great job of explaining the rules, in the context of other religions.

Our assignment helped us to write our own rules of life.

A must read for those looking for structure & a deeper meaning.
Erin Nieves
Daily readings for the Rule of St. Benedict with reflections to match each day's reading. Benedictines read the Rule three times each year, looking at a piece of it each day. It takes a lifetime to figure out how to live it. Part of it is the daily reading and praying that informs one's heart.
Laura Callanan
I read this in anticipation of a retreat I'm going on at the Erie Benedictine community. I find many overlaps with my own Quaker values and love the ways in which common sense, compassion, and simplicity blend here. Sr. Joan Chittister's commentary is wonderful spiritual reading in itself.
Kathy
I read this little book every day. It is divided up so you could read it 3 times in one year, with daily readings. Benedict was so practical. His advice is great for parents, leaders, each of us in our role in life. What a way to keep ourselves on track!
Ann M
May 06, 2008 Ann M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann M by: curiosity
A straightforward presentation of Benedict's rule for communal living. It's not a literary masterpiece, but an interesting approach to a democratic, simple, sustainable life. If you are interested, I recommend it. It won't appeal to everyone.
Elizabeth Andrew
A thorough introduction to Benedictine spirituality. Chittister is thoughtful and accessible, if a bit dry. She examines the Rule paragraph by paragraph, interpreting it and giving contemporary applications for Christians today.
Aggie
Joan Chittister...what can I say... she renders this ancient document to us in a very accessible way. Whether you agree with the path of monasticism or not, there is much wisdom here for consideration.
Dawn Shepler-Hamilton
I read this every day and have since this new edition came out. I began with the older "Insights" version about five years ago. Yes, I read it everyday.
catherine
I return to this again and again, or rather I would if I hadn't lent it to someone and not got it back! It's one to read, and re-read, and read again.
Patricia
The author does a great job of discussing the philosophical and religious bases of St. Benedict's rule for his monks. Much to learn and admire!
Gregory Soderberg
Excellent, but could use more references to Christ. The author was a bit too concerned to show parallels with other religions.
Terry Webb
Written in poetic style - read as devotional to catch pearls of spiritual wisdom from one of this world's saints.
Rebecca
Don't think Benedictine practices have much to do with your life in the secular world? Think again!
Dana
This is a book I go to throughout the year to help get me back on track spiritually.
Linera
Excellent commentary by a feminist, scholarly former Prioress. Learned and enlivening.
Rock
A wonderful recommendation by my friend Kathy Thompson Seigle.
Br. Anselm King-Lowe, n/OSB
Excellent version of the Rule with Sr. Joan's awesome commentary
Melissa Cavanaugh
Will always read this one... over and over again!
James
Like the subtitle says, insights for the ages!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict  Second Edition
  • The Rule of Saint Benedict
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self
  • The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks
  • Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives
  • The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind--A New Perspective on Christ and His Message
  • Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
  • The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality
  • The Sign of Jonas
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • A Testament of Devotion
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • Becoming Who You Are: Insights on the True Self from Thomas Merton and Other Saints
  • Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of Faith
  • Reversed Thunder: The Revelation of John and the Praying Imagination
  • The Spiritual Exercises
  • The Book of Common Prayer: And Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church
Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir The Monastery of the Heart: An Invitation to a Meaningful Life