Start by marking “Hangin' Out with Cici” as Want to Read:
Hangin' Out with Cici

Hangin' Out with Cici (Victoria Martin #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Victoria is sure her mother was never 14--never knew what it was like to hang out with friends, and maybe accidentally get into a little trouble. Then, Victoria bumps her head, and wakes up in 1944--where she discovers firsthand what her mother was really like at her age.
Published October 1st 1991 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about Hangin' Out with Cici, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hangin' Out with Cici

X-tina
loved this book. loved Victoria Martin
Mrs2b
I borrowed this from the library when I was 13 or 14 maybe. I loved this book so much. The characters were so spontanious and full of life, I remember feeling like I was actually a part of the book myself. Kinda silly I guess, but it was a boring summer that year. I loved this story and remember reading it in just a day or two. Then I read it a few more times before it was due back to the library. I'd like to find a copy of this book someday.
Joyce Cai
I didn't know at the time I read this book that it was an oldie! Nevertheless, I thought it was a fun read. I bought this book at the time when my mom is just being impossible and one look at the title, I knew I had to buy this! (funny, my mom smirked at me upon reading the title when we were about to pay)
I loved this book! it was and oldie but a good one!
Jody Kihara
This was one of my most-loved books when I was a teen! Francine Pascal at her best, long before she started doing the Sweet Valley High series.
A teenage girl travels back in time to when her mother was a teenager - and befriends her! The book is funny, charming, and heartwarming. Now I want to find a copy so that I can re-read it!
Andrea
I know I'm aging myself by saying this, but when I was a little girl, my favorite ABC After School Special was "My Mother Was Never A Kid." I remember watching it every time it aired and recording it so I could watch it over and over again. I wore that recording out!

Recently, I discovered that "My Mother Was Never A Kid" was based on the book Hangin' out with Cici by Francine Pascal (first published in 1977). I knew I had to find this book and read it. And, lucky for me, I have a very sweet frie...more
Becky Frost
I remember reading this back in the mid 1980s. The review is based off the fact that I remember being moved by this story and really enjoyed it. I honestly don't remember much of the story because I read it about the same time I read "Just Like Ice Cream" which had a larger impact on me. I would like to reread this one some day, but only once it goes to the Kindle as I don't want to have another paper back from my childhood sitting around collecting dust.
Cheryl Hughes
I read this when I was a kid. It made me really want to travel back in time and live in the '40s! It also started a life-long love of books about time travel.
Jen Wahl kilmer
Read this book again after finding it in my old closet. Loved it like I always did. Every girl should read this one growing up!
Tiffany
Aug 31, 2009 Tiffany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers and daughters
Recommended to Tiffany by: A gift from my Mum
I got this book on my 13th birthday and I think I read it all before the night was out. I loved the story, and the main character was so sarcastic and funny without meaning to be so. I never really was into any of Francine Pascal's other works, but this one got top billing from me then and I just re-read it and it still is totally fab. After reading this as a kid, my Mum borrowed it, it being about a girl and her mum in the 1940s, when my own Mum came to be a young girl, and it was one of her fa...more
Mikka Azores
I like and don't like the book. Most of the parts were boring but the plot did made me always ask what would happen next. It was thrilling, waiting for what would happen next. And the meaning itself was good since I also have a love-hate relationship with my mom. The downside was, it had too many details for me and some of the details kept on repeating so it kind of made the book boring. Plus, it made me wish that I was done reading while reading because I got bored.
Kendall
Much like the movie Peggy Sue got Married, for those who like trivia...
This book is much better than Pascal's subsequent Sweet Valley High series, although I must admit that I read those with gusto as a tween. This book is much more complex in plot, and it shows that Pascal definitely has more depth as a writer than many believe. It's a fun fantasy read for girls, and I recommend it for grades four through seven or eight.
elissa
This was one of my very favorites when I was about 11 or 12. I think it's Pascal's first book. I re-read it in the early 90's when I was first a librarian, and it held up well, so I booktalked it occasionally. A cute story about a teenager who goes back in time and meets her mother as a teenager. Re-issued in 2003 as My Mother was Never a Kid (the same title as the Afterschool Special).
Juliet
Jul 26, 2007 Juliet added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preteens
Shelves: chick-lit-fluff
'My Mother was Never a Kid' is the start of the Victoria Martin Trilogy. Although this book was highly unrealistic, it was full of good humor and sassy remarks. It made me question my relationships with my family and it also made me wonder what my mother was like when she was a kid.

A very short, quick and easy read but still enjoyable if you're looking for something to kill a lazy Sunday with.
Shelly
May 28, 2008 Shelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to all early on teenager girls
This is a fantastic book I read way back when I was a teenager. I loved the book so much I actually kept it until recently. I passed the book on to my half sister who is 16 (I'm 42!!!) She loved the book too and read it very quickly. It holds your interest and is quite fun while also making a parent/teen relationship message. Well worth reading if you can find a copy.
Celia Ross
I had no idea that this was written by the same author behind the later "Sweet Valley" series. I just remember really liking this book as a kid...it's sort of a pre-Freaky Friday-esque story where a girl goes back in time and ends up becoming friends with her mother. This book made me want to be nicknamed Cici.
Alannah Davis
I originally bought this book back in the '80s. I loved it so much that I bought a copy for my mom (who herself grew up in the 1940s, and she loved the book, too). I still have that original copy among my "keep forever" books. I recommend it to every daughter who feels misunderstood by her mom.
Michelle Smith
Read this book when I was a teenager and loved it! Remembered last year how much I had enjoyed it, so trawled the net for a copy. Having re read it as a 'mum' i did see it slightly different, but enjoyed it just the same and it's now on my book shelf waiting for my daughter to read it!
Syd
I read this when I was a preteen, and I still own that same torn, dog-eared copy. My daughter is nearly twelve years old and in sixth grade, so today is the day that book gets passed down. I hope she finds even a little of the hope I found in those pages...
Snarky's
A funny, cute departure from her previous work. I loved the premise of this book. It's all very "Peggy Sue Got Married" but different. Oddly enough, while reading this book I had no desire to get back to 1962 and chill with La Mommie.
Natasha
The creator of Sweet Valley High digs deep in this fantasy about a girl who gets caught passing a joint, bumps her head, awakes in the 1950's and befriends the one person on earth she can't tolerate: her mom.
Jodie
I love Francine Pascal. One of my favorite authors from childhood and I read everything of hers that I could get my hands on. This one was pretty good, but then again, I enjoyed all of her stories.
Corinne  Lundstrum
I loved the Victoria Martin series when I was in my tweens. This one was my favorite - Victoria goes back in time and is hanging out with her mother when they are the same age. It was a great book.
Heather Moss
I sought this out after seeing the after-school special based on it. I pretty much love all fish-out-of-water stories, and this one didn't disappoint.
Mae
girls can really realate to whatws going on in this book... maybe not the plot but the overall stuff
Melinda
Little piece of (obvious) trivia: that is Amanda Seyfried on the cover of all three books.
Mitch
I could totally relate to this backtrack story! I really love this novel. Superb!
Kay
I loved this book when I was a kid and would like to read it again!
Katie
Loved this! Just found a copy at our booksale! Happy, happy, happy!
Emma
Ah, Francine Pascal and time travel, together at last!
I've got such a soft spot for this trilogy.
Francine Pascal (May 13, 1938— ) is an American author best known for creating the Sweet Valley series of novels. In 1982 she created the characters and the stories for the first six books and her agent, Amy Berkower of Writers House sold them to Bantam Books. Book number one is mostly written by Ms. Pascal. From then on she wrote the stories for every book ever published in the series. After the...more
More about Francine Pascal...
Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1) Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1) Fearless (Fearless, #1) Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2)