Start by marking “Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy: A True Story of Discovery, Acting, Health, Illness, Recovery, and Life” as Want to Read:

The best-selling memoir Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy tells the fascinating story of actor Dirk Benedict s journey from the big sky country of Montana to the hustle and hype of Hollywood. It also describes his odyssey of self-discovery and growth as he changes from struggling actor to celebrity, from meat eater to vegetarian, from cancer victim to cancer victor. Brillia ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Square One Publishers (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy

Jun 11, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: autobio
He's crazy, I like him.
Aug 22, 2010 Gina rated it did not like it
Pretty disappointing, party because I love Dirk Benedict so much, and partly because I thought it would have more useful information.

It suffers from the same issues as many books of this type, where the author feels so enlightened that it grows into a sort of conceit where everyone else will tell you wrong, and not one in a million people would get this, and even other people who claim to be doing this probably don't get this at the level that I do--this despite the fact that the kamikaze in th
May 01, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
While I don't agree with everything he says, it an easy and interesting read. He has a unique perspective as a cancer survivor as well as being able to tell the story of 'finding himself'. I found two things odd. He speaks poorly of why authors write, yet doesn't seem to hold that opinion to himself. And, he is proud of himself for finding his calm - of letting things go, yet his last chapters read 'angry'. In addition, he has made it quite clear how disgusted he is with the new Battlestar Galac ...more
Dec 27, 2015 Marie rated it it was amazing
I met Dirk Benedict at a Comic Con event in June of 2015. I had always been a HUGE fan and had expected a brief photo-op and for him to dismiss me and return to his star-duties. Contrary to my expectations, he was a wonderful, thoughtful person. He spent at least 30 minutes speaking with me, my husband and my two children. I was intrigued by his thoughtfulness, which led me to the desire to read this book.

First, it's NOT what you'd expect. I appreciated the mix of health/lifestyle with memoir/li
Donna Jackson
Sep 09, 2016 Donna Jackson rated it it was amazing
I loved this! The overall message seems to be that there's no point trying to search for the meaning of life or of living your life according to some code or another. There is no code; it's just about you. But it's also about consequences. However you choose to live your life will have consequences for you and for the world around you. Accept those, and you've pretty much got it.

The other reason I liked this is because it shows Dirk's intelligence, depth and insight. He's not the cardboard cutou
Dec 09, 2007 Elona rated it really liked it
And interesting read.
surreal. great!
Jul 06, 2013 Lori added it
This was a very interesting read and a surprise delight. We all know Dirk as the handsome "Face" from the A Team, but who knew he was so well spoken, literate, and so insightful? This was a fascinating telling of how he found out at a very young age that he had prostate cancer and the lengths to which he went to cure himself through natural means. I absolutely loved his realization that every time someone announced that they were going in for surgery they never came out the same and still ended ...more
Mar 10, 2013 Reni rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
Das war kein leichtes Buch für mich.

Erstmal gestehe ich, dass ich das Buch nur aus reiner Lust und Neugier gekauft hab, und Hernn Benedict nicht wirklich zugetraut hab, gut schreiben zu können. Dafür ist eine Entschuldigung fällig. Ich fand es sehr angenehm zu lesen.

Oh, und es ist sehr bildhaft geschrieben. Fast zu bildhaft. Bisher wusste ich nicht, was man alles auspinkeln kann ... uuuhh
Also was ist das Buch? Ist eine Biographie? Ist es ein Ratgeber? Eine Ansammlung geistreicher (?) Anekdoten?
Jan 11, 2015 Launar added it
Shelves: english, bio
Mm. Lo de la macrobiótica me interesa y puede que mire de informarme un poco más, y está muy bien escrito, pero lo cuenta demasiado en plan adoctrinador y con un punto de vista muy extremista. Expresa algunas opiniones que no me gustan, pero está bien por conocer su experiencia y, al ser un libro que trata sobre él mismo, sobre lo que ha vivido y lo que piensa, tiene derecho a ser todo lo subjetivo que quiera.
Dec 27, 2014 TigressLea rated it really liked it
It's surprisingly funny and thoughtful. Not to mention inspiring! I know a few cancer survivors who like Dirk refused surgery and looked to diet to cure their cancer. Some are 20 years past their initial diagnosis so I'd say it's safe to say it works. Another reason to become vegan :)
Imanol Epelde
Mar 08, 2014 Imanol Epelde rated it liked it
El Equipo Ako rubio guaperasak idatzitako liburua. Osasunaz ari da. Nola gaixotu zen, zergatik eta nola sendatu zen, ikasgai makrobiotikoak jarraituz. Uneka astuna egin zait. Baina esperientzia pertsonalak ezagutzea beti egiten zait interesgarri eta hau ere bai. Uneka hori ere.
Geoff Sebesta
Dec 21, 2010 Geoff Sebesta rated it really liked it
One time I decided that I wanted to read the autobiographies of everyone who was on the A-Team. This turned out to be impossible, since Hannibal and Murdock and Amy never wrote books. But Face did! And it was actually pretty good.

I would not recommend searching out this book, but if it's sitting right in front of you, go ahead and picked it up.

This book was the tipping point to make me a vegetarian. Srsly. There's a LOT of stuff about vegetarianism in here and for some reason it stuck with me. I
Mar 01, 2011 Ashton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing! I absolutely loved this book. I read this almost 10 years ago, and at the time it was very insightful. I had a small obsession with Dirk Benedict, because I loved the A-Team. It was very interesting to find out the struggles and triumphs that he goes through in this book. I do agree with others that not everyone will like the story, it is very personal at times and it is very opinionated. But it is well worth the read. 5 stars definitely.
Diane Rinella
Dec 03, 2012 Diane Rinella rated it it was amazing
I adore Dirk Benedict. Yes, this is THAT Dirk Benedict, the one from Battlestar Galactica and the A-Team. But this book has little to do with his career. Here he talks in depth about his bout with cancer and how he survived it through natural treatment. This book is a must read for everyone. You will never look at your life, or your body, in the same light. I'm not a person who reads books about healing, and I can honestly say this book is life altering.
Apr 12, 2013 Danella rated it it was amazing
Wasn't sure what to expect from this book ... In truth, I only read it as i had a bit of a crush on Dirk Benedict back in the 'A Team' days. I was immediately hooked though! This book is his journey of battling cancer with out medical intervention. Despite the subject matter this isn't a heavy read. It's beautifully wrote and left me feeling in awe of this guy who stuck to his guns and did what he had to do ....
Lenny Husen
Jul 27, 2013 Lenny Husen rated it really liked it
My husband and I read this back in the late 1980's and enjoyed it. Very cute memoir. It is really a 3.5 star book (if that) but I have very warm feelings about it. The author is "The Face" in the TV show The A-Team back in the early 80's and then got cancer, got buddhism and his cancer magically went away! Who needs modern medicine?
Aug 23, 2008 mlady_rebecca rated it did not like it
I remember reading this book ages ago. It was really the first biography that I walked away thinking "I really didn't want to know that" in a TMI sense. Isn't amazing that certain people can grow in your eyes the more that you learn about them. Other people seem better off left as icons.
Oct 14, 2012 Hillarystephenson rated it really liked it
an old boyfriend gave this book to me as a joke and i don't know why i kept it. it probably doesn't actually deserve 4 stars, but i really liked it anyway. the cute one on the a team, dirk benedict's got interesting views on diet and i can kind of get behind them.
Jun 22, 2009 J.M. rated it liked it
All I know of Dirk Benedict is that he played Face on The A-Team in the 80's. But he has a very commanding voice and witty style of writing that shines in this autobiography. His cure for cancer is a bit ... unique, to be sure, but I thoroughly enjoyed his memoir.
Eryn Garrett
Eryn Garrett rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Nibs rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Alicia Ganiel
Alicia Ganiel rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Ryan Demers
Ryan Demers rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Corey rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Jason added it
Jun 09, 2016
Jürgen Bloß
Jürgen Bloß rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Ingrid Hastings
Ingrid Hastings rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Tammy Tunyavongs
Tammy Tunyavongs marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016