The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot

The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"Bring[s] a new perspective to World War II literature...Exciting" -- "Library Journal."
A powerful chronicle of loyalty, love, and heroism under fire, this is the unforgettable memoir of a member of the Greatest Generation who fought in America's greatest battles-and of the war one man waged both in and out of the skies.
High-spirited young Robert Morgan was transformed...more
Published May 1st 2001 by New American Library (first published June 1st 1992)

Stephanie
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. Robert Morgan is a fine writer and portrays Appalachian people sympathetically yet realistically, avoiding the overwrought tragedy of books like, say, The Dollmaker as well as the shallow folksiness of Adriana Trigiani's novels. With my experiences in Appalachian literature I was expecting several of the stories to turn out worse than they did. Morgan avoids melodrama and shows people in Appalachia as thinking people, not any more superstitious than th...more
Michael Dorosh
Leaving aside the question of historical accuracy except for one comment - I was a little unconvinced by Morgan's soliloquy's on WW II grand strategy, such as his explanations of how the war in Russia was fought, and other things that he as a 23-25 year old bomber pilot would have known little about and perhaps cared even less. These parts of the book come across as forced.

Having said that, however, I have no doubt Morgan felt them necessary to put the overall story into context, and they do tha...more
Andrew
This is an incredible book, providing both a detailed look at what it was like to fly bombers during World War II (in both the European and Pacific theaters), as well as an incredibly intimate look at the impact it had on the life of the author. Robert Morgan enjoyed a rather privileged childhood, growing up on and around the Vanderbilt’s Biltmore estate in North Carolina. He was a reckless young man who joined the army because he knew his services were likely to be needed and because he wanted...more
Traci
Jun 20, 2007 Traci rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: World War II buffs, anyone who knew somebody who fought in any area of World War II
Col. Morgan does a great job telling his story. From his early life, living at the Builtmore estates in NC to basic to being the first B-17 pilot to bring his crew home after 25 missions.

He talks about his missions in the Europen theater of the war and even going on to fly in the Doolittle raids over Japan. This man flew a total of 51 missions (25 over Europe and 26 over in the Pacific theater) when the average crew flew about 8 or 10 (i dont recall the exact number it may be higher or lower)
It...more
James
Never have I read a historical autobiography that kept me so engaged until I read "The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle". Robert Morgan does an excellent job of fusing his entertaining personal life with the grit of flying B-17s and B-29s in the European and Pacific theaters of WWII. Morgan openly and seamlessly discusses his many lovers and failed relationships while integrating the brutal reality of being a bomber pilot in the Second World War. He is clearly a well-spoken individual and it shine...more
Char
Why are all of the comments on here about a WWII memoir? That isn't this book.

I really liked Gap Creek, so I decided to try this short story collection. Some of the lengthier stories were okay, but I guess I'm really just not a fan of short stories.

I find it interesting that the author seems to have a preference for writing from a 1st person female perspective, and he is actually rather good at it.
James Wheeler
An excellent read about an incredible individual and his experiences before during and after the war. An interesting extension to the story as war memoirs often end with or shortly after the war and also interesting to learn the true story of the Memphis Belle having watched the film about her.
William
Good book if you are interested in a very narrow, but fascinating aspect of WWII. Quite a bit different from the move, "Memphis Belle"....
I didn't realize there was a documentary made during the Belle's service. Apparently is is great. I need to find it....
Marty
Nice personal insight into the generation of WWII and this man specifically. Since I am a history buff and am amazed at what that generation did, I enjoyed the between the lines implications and lessons.
Dana Spychalla
The writing in this book is excellent, you really feel like you're in the cockpit with the pilot. This goes beyond the typical memoir.
Jana Anderson
Mar 12, 2008 Jana Anderson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People who like WWII stuff
The author is cocky. But I guess if I had flown 25 dangerous missions in a B-17 during World War II, I would be cocky too.
Jwgalvin
Good insight into the challenges facing America Pilots in Europe and the Pacific.
Truly a challanging environment to survive.
Martin
it was a series of stories about events in the Appalachian mountains beginning in the 1920s and forward. Very good.
richard
Interesting perspective on the bombing of Europe and Japan in WW II.
Not great writing, but a satisfying read.
Andrew Herren
I love Robert Morgan! Great book of short stories.
josey
Some of the stories were interesting; some not.
Clinton
Wow! This was a really good book!
Pam
Wonderful stories of appalachia.
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Ella M
Ella M marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Nelson
Nelson marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Robert Morgan was raised on his family's farm in the North Carolina mountains. The author of eleven books of poetry and eight books of fiction, including the bestselling novel Gap Creek, he now lives in Ithaca, New York, where he teaches at Cornell University.

More about Robert Morgan...
Gap Creek Boone: A Biography The Truest Pleasure This Rock The Road from Gap Creek