Start by marking “The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot

The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot

"Bring[s] a new perspective to World War II literature...Exciting" -- "Library Journal."
A powerful chronicle of loyalty, love, and heroism under fire, this is the unforgettable memoir of a member of the Greatest Generation who fought in America's greatest battles-and of the war one man waged both in and out of the skies.
High-spirited young Robert Morgan was transformed
Published May 1st 2001 by New American Library (first published June 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle

Faith Potts
Well, that was disappointing.

I'm not going to rate this book since, technically, I didn't read it. (I literally skimmed the whole thing in about thirty minutes.) I did make a couple notes though, stuff about B-17s and USAAF life during the war. But as for the book it's self? Nope.

First off, there's loads of language. Augh, it just really irks me. Must you cuss every other sentence?! >_<

Also, I know it's a biography, but I really don't care what the author did in college. Or the bucketfu
Jun 17, 2014 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii, history
This is about Robert Morgan and his life leading up to becoming the pilot who flew the Memphis Belle to 25 missions while in Europe. I was hoping for more of a description of some of the missions, but his input on everything else that was going on was great. After he was sent home after accomplishing 25 missions he still wanted to contribute and was sent to the Western front in the Pacific and flew another 26 missions, which is amazing. The odds of that happening must have been too high to imagi ...more
Jan 20, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because this was a true tale of courage and sacrifice. Robert Morgan (and his crew)lived through 25 bombing missions and the writing help of Ron Powers makes this book a well done memoir.
I prefer reading complete novels by Robert Morgan.
Michael Dorosh
Jul 31, 2011 Michael Dorosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leaving aside the question of historical accuracy except for one comment - I was a little unconvinced by Morgan's soliloquy's on WW II grand strategy, such as his explanations of how the war in Russia was fought, and other things that he as a 23-25 year old bomber pilot would have known little about and perhaps cared even less. These parts of the book come across as forced.

Having said that, however, I have no doubt Morgan felt them necessary to put the overall story into context, and they do tha
Nov 13, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible book, providing both a detailed look at what it was like to fly bombers during World War II (in both the European and Pacific theaters), as well as an incredibly intimate look at the impact it had on the life of the author. Robert Morgan enjoyed a rather privileged childhood, growing up on and around the Vanderbilt’s Biltmore estate in North Carolina. He was a reckless young man who joined the army because he knew his services were likely to be needed and because he wanted ...more
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. Robert Morgan is a fine writer and portrays Appalachian people sympathetically yet realistically, avoiding the overwrought tragedy of books like, say, The Dollmaker as well as the shallow folksiness of Adriana Trigiani's novels. With my experiences in Appalachian literature I was expecting several of the stories to turn out worse than they did. Morgan avoids melodrama and shows people in Appalachia as thinking people, not any more superstitious than th ...more
Jun 20, 2007 Traci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: World War II buffs, anyone who knew somebody who fought in any area of World War II
Col. Morgan does a great job telling his story. From his early life, living at the Builtmore estates in NC to basic to being the first B-17 pilot to bring his crew home after 25 missions.

He talks about his missions in the Europen theater of the war and even going on to fly in the Doolittle raids over Japan. This man flew a total of 51 missions (25 over Europe and 26 over in the Pacific theater) when the average crew flew about 8 or 10 (i dont recall the exact number it may be higher or lower)
Dec 11, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never have I read a historical autobiography that kept me so engaged until I read "The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle". Robert Morgan does an excellent job of fusing his entertaining personal life with the grit of flying B-17s and B-29s in the European and Pacific theaters of WWII. Morgan openly and seamlessly discusses his many lovers and failed relationships while integrating the brutal reality of being a bomber pilot in the Second World War. He is clearly a well-spoken individual and it shine ...more
Apr 25, 2012 Char rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why are all of the comments on here about a WWII memoir? That isn't this book.

I really liked Gap Creek, so I decided to try this short story collection. Some of the lengthier stories were okay, but I guess I'm really just not a fan of short stories.

I find it interesting that the author seems to have a preference for writing from a 1st person female perspective, and he is actually rather good at it.
Dec 31, 2008 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice personal insight into the generation of WWII and this man specifically. Since I am a history buff and am amazed at what that generation did, I enjoyed the between the lines implications and lessons.
Jan 31, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2
Really good read. I didn't realize how off the movie regarding the Memphis Belle was. Same plane, same folks (sort of) but that is about it. Book is great, just consider the movie more fiction than non-fiction.
Good book if you are interested in a very narrow, but fascinating aspect of WWII. Quite a bit different from the move, "Memphis Belle"....
I didn't realize there was a documentary made during the Belle's service. Apparently is is great. I need to find it....
James Wheeler
Feb 02, 2013 James Wheeler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read about an incredible individual and his experiences before during and after the war. An interesting extension to the story as war memoirs often end with or shortly after the war and also interesting to learn the true story of the Memphis Belle having watched the film about her.
Jul 21, 2016 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Morgan was very lucky man. His crew complete 25 missions. The odds were one at million. To survive World War II. Fifteen years ago. I brought his book. Robert signed it. It was truly honor to shake his hand. Thank you for serving our country.
richard m.
Interesting perspective on the bombing of Europe and Japan in WW II.
Not great writing, but a satisfying read.
Dana Spychalla
Aug 12, 2007 Dana Spychalla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book is excellent, you really feel like you're in the cockpit with the pilot. This goes beyond the typical memoir.
Jan 27, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to read history and memoirs and being from Memphis, this book hit 3 areas of interest. I'm not going to say it was the most well-written book but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Apr 05, 2010 Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a series of stories about events in the Appalachian mountains beginning in the 1920s and forward. Very good.
Jana Anderson
Mar 12, 2008 Jana Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like WWII stuff
The author is cocky. But I guess if I had flown 25 dangerous missions in a B-17 during World War II, I would be cocky too.
Good insight into the challenges facing America Pilots in Europe and the Pacific.
Truly a challanging environment to survive.
Jim Jimenez
Jim Jimenez rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Justin Vanderhoof
Justin Vanderhoof rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Al rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Francis Hopkinson
Francis Hopkinson rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Ryan Haas
Ryan Haas rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Shawna rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2013
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Benjamin Maher
Benjamin Maher rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Penny Linsenmayer
Penny Linsenmayer rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot
  • The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It
  • The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice
  • A Question of Honor: The Kosciuszko Squadron: Forgotten Heroes of World War II
  • To Kingdom Come: An Epic Saga of Survival in the Air War Over Germany
  • Brave Men
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • My War
  • The Boys' Crusade: The American Infantry in Northwestern Europe, 1944-45
  • A General's Life: An Autobiography
  • In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth
  • The First And The Last
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • The Boys of Pointe du Hoc: Ronald Reagan, D-Day, and the U.S. Army 2nd Ranger Battalion
  • I Flew for the Führer
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
Robert Morgan was raised on his family's farm in the North Carolina mountains. The author of eleven books of poetry and eight books of fiction, including the bestselling novel Gap Creek, he now lives in Ithaca, New York, where he teaches at Cornell University.

More about Robert Morgan...