Start by marking “In Bear Country” as Want to Read:
In Bear Country

In Bear Country (In Bear Country #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Pride hasn't had an easy life. No matter what he does, things seem to go bad. This time, though, he's not sure he can get out of his predicament, and he figures he might just have to call it quits. Bear is a mountain of a man, making a home where most folks woudn't, and he comes across Pride right when the other man's irons are all hanging in the fire. Bear doesn't even he ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Torquere Press (first published February 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In Bear Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Bear Country

Daisiemae
Kiernan Kelly's books are a tentative buy for me. I admit that ever since I read a horrible ending in one of her books, I am leary of buying them. Luckily, the last few books I have read by her have been good, so when I saw this one I decided to take a chance on it. I am glad I did.

Pride Falls has had his share of bad luck. After his father's death at the age of fourteen, he thought he has been through and seen it all. From surviving the Civil War, and being held in a prison camp, to not having
Lindsay
Apr 04, 2009 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lindsay by: Daisiemae
I really liked Pride and Bear's relationship. The transition from strangers who become good friends, to lovers was well paced. I was looking forward to reading the next book in this series, but I saw that there is a menage in it. Because of the nature of their relationship, and their personalities, I don't believe that Bear or Pride would involve a third person into the intimacy they have together. I would rather think that they didn't cross that line and end their story here. Too Bad.
Td
Bear and Pride snuck up on me and left me goofy smile on my face. Very likeable characters, strangers at first with difficult pasts, who find companionship, a solid friendship full of easy banter and love where it wasn't expected. Warning: There is a villain with very bad intentions stalking our heroes...
Ami
Oh, wow, this is a wonderful book. I don't usually do historical -- but this one is not like the regency type of book and it's from Kiernan Kelly, so I give it a go. The story sets (I think) after the Civil War, in a mountain, between a young man named Pride and a "mountain" man named Bear. First met as strangers, when Bear saved Pride's life after Pride is being robbed and left to die by tied on a tree, their relationship bloomed to friends and then lovers -- as bleak and hard winter forced Pri ...more
Sophie
Jun 27, 2009 Sophie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sophie by: Daisiemae
Shelves: erotic, gay-romance
This was a great book. Pride and Bear were definitely one of the best couples I have read about in some time. Like others, I will stop my journey with them here. I have no desire to see them enter into a menage with another person in the next book, so I chose to end my reading with them being happy and only wanting to be with one another. Too bad really because it's a black cloud that will hang over their relationship forever.
Elisa Rolle
Setting in the late '80 years of the nineteen century, In Bear Country is a tale of loneliness and friendship.

Pride is a young man, twenty-something years old, who was a soldier during the Independence War, not for an ideal, but only 'cause his father, a preacher, wanted to correct his sinful behaviour: Pride prefers men to women. After 4 years of war and 2 years of captiviness, Pride is a lone wolf, has no family e no home, and during a night, thiefs leave him with only his boots.

Bear is a bi
Lexi Ander
Jan 16, 2011 Lexi Ander rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: serious western readers
This is not an ideological western with hot guys walking around bow-legged in tight jeans for the pleasure of the audience.

This is a world where the line between life and death is so thin that one unfortunate mishap can cause a long agonizing death. This is a land where the only lights at night is the moon and stars, the nearest town, if you are lucky, is fifty miles away which equals two days on horse and longer on foot. If you need the law, you will have to travel farther because this is the u
Kat
I liked this book a lot, it has two very likeable MCs, Pride and Bear who both have difficult pasts. They are strangers at first who are soon becoming friends and they find companionship and love although both didn't expect it. I liked the setting of the story a lot, this was not a glorified historical western with hot cowboys, no, it describes the hard life full of deprivation pretty well but both Pride and Bear master their life in the wilderness. The sub-plot with a dark part of Bear's past a ...more
Ms. Nikki
I wavered between 2 and 3 stars. The blurb just about sums up the story. Maybe it was the isolation of Pride and Bear from the rest of the world or just the simpleness of the story that had me waiting for...more.
Nancy L
Don't get me wrong, I did like this book. What I didn't get was a wrenching twisting pulling at my emotions. Zach didn't do anything to me either It was, however, a feel-good, relationship-building story.
Erastes
I admit freely that I went into this book a little jaded because I could pretty much tell what was going to happen. The blurb rather over simplifies things, in my opinion though - but if it does one thing right it gives a hint that there's more to these characters than just a Bear and a Twink having a damned good shagfest in the wilderness.

The feel is right; I was convinced by the era from page one without the necessity to be pumelled over the head with details. Pride is a man pretty much at the
Jaya
SlashReaders: I was a little worried about this book, it had the potential to go either way for me. It wasn't bad. I was fairly happy. And you can all probably sense the but that comes after that statement.

It was fairly well written, stayed true to form throughout which was good. The characters were alright they could've done with a bit of fleshing out.

Two things that bothered me the most:

1) It was just too easy. Bear was great and all but he gets shot and all his reservations go out the window
Adriana
I had this book for a very long time... I just couldn't make myself read it. M/M Historicals are not my thing, I read them with pink glasses because if I not they always end up being unrealistic.

I started this book with Pride, bad luck and bad people always in his life, I love him, and then enters Bear (a great nickname), and I love him too. Two people who found each other, and in the way found a home.
I really liked this book, sweet and somewhat realistic (How? Living in their little cabin they
notyourmonkey
Ahahaha. Let me be clear. I have read a *lot* of gay romance/erotica (romancerotica?) this year, and this definitely falls in the better half. Solid character voices, even if the characters themselves (especially the villain) are a wee bit flimsy. Thoroughly respectable Ye Olde Weste indulgent idfic, even if the pun in the title was almost enough to keep me from starting it in the first place.
Sheziss

What a complete waste of time!!!

I was expecting endless cuddling and a decent love story but it was dull and boring at best. There is no endearing long winter spent in each other arms in the way I craved. The MC felt empty for me, and the baddies were rolling-eye inducing.
Bookbee
A believable historical set in the wilds of Colorado. I liked the characters a lot and I was pleased that most of the "angst" in the book centered around survival of one kind or another. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.
Yte
Sep 01, 2012 Yte rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dropped
It was actually quite all right until I got to the first sex scene which made me want to puke. Therefore dropped.
Edina Rose
Simple, sweet romance. A bit boring at times, but worth reading.
Khaoula
amazing! except that the first intimate interaction was kind of fast!
Katie
Dawww a really nice read liked both the heroes immensely!
Lee
A good story, tight plot, good writing.
Three Stars!
Zac
Zac is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
Driima
Driima marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jack
Jack added it
Jun 18, 2015
Wolfie's Mom
Wolfie's Mom marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Angel's Evolution
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • The Station
  • Second Sight
  • The Other Side
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Wicked Game
  • Letting In the Light
  • Over the Mountain of the Moon: A Tale of a Samurai Consort
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Lover's Knots
  • Hunger (Chicken Ranch, #1)
  • Soldier (Scarcity Sanctuary, #1)
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)

In Bear Country (2 books)
  • The Barbary Coast (In Bear Country, #2)
Caffeine for a Marine Riding Heartbreak Road Hard for the Money Time Enough Happy World