Wondrous Strange: The Life and Art of Glenn Gould

Wondrous Strange: The Life and Art of Glenn Gould

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The first major biography of Glenn Gould to stress the critical influence of the Canadian context on his life and art

Glenn Gould was not, as has previously been suggested, an isolated and self-taught eccentric who burst out of nowhere onto the international musical scene in the mid-1950s. He was, says Kevin Bazzana in this fascinating new full-scale biography, very much a...more
Published October 28th 2003 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 2003)

Ricky German
I've always found music biographies to be interesting. I don't necessarily love many modern music biographies except this one. Glenn Gould was a bit of a crazy, but his love of music can be heard in his dear interpretations of the classics. I found it interesting to read about how he would change whole passages claiming that this is what the composer would have intended. There is something magical about listening to his interpretations. They certainly aren't stale.
Josh Brown
I definitely found this book interesting as a biography. I think though I was expecting more the musical equivalent of a literary biography. The recordings and considerations of the music from a musical standpoint were frustratingly brief, but the telling of the story of Gould's life was definitely engaging.
Jay Allan Storey
A fascinating, beautifully written biography on one of Canada's greatest musical geniuses. Gould was definitely one of a kind. The book captures his idiosyncrasies, failures and triumphs, and shows us the man behind the brilliant performances.
Sheila King
Dec 07, 2013 Sheila King is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Glenn Gould was a favorite of my father's~I, too, have enjoyed his works and am interested in reading about his life, learning about him as a person
Rhawkes
';

Mr. Gould was wired differently that's for sure.

Jon
Glenn Gould in all his fascinating and infuriating glory.
Gordon
Pretty darned engrossing for a biography.
Karlie
Karlie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Fifi
Fifi is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2014
Dan Rolin
Dan Rolin marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Mike Supertramp
Mike Supertramp marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Adam Walny
Adam Walny marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Aline
Aline marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Hawksquill
Hawksquill marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Stacy
Stacy added it
Mar 22, 2014
Desislava Popova
Desislava Popova marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Joseph Nicolello
Joseph Nicolello marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Aaron
Aaron is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2013
Jur
Jur marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lost Genius: The Story of a Forgotten Musical Maverick Glenn Gould: The Performer in the Work: A Study in Performance Practice Lost Genius: The Curious and Tragic Story of an Extraordinary Musical Prodigy Mirabilmente singolare. Racconto della vita di Glenn Gould Wondrous Strange: The Life and Art of Glenn Gould