Bone Dry (A Blanco County Mystery #2)

Bone Dry (A Blanco County Mystery #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  55 reviews
The opening of deer season always brings a Texas-sized wave of excitement to sleepy Blanco County, but this year, game warden John Marlin is finding mysteries as thick as ticks on a whitetail's rump. First, there are reports of a blonde bombshell who's been raising Cain with hunters, scaring away wildlife and trashing vehicles. Then, there's the tragic discovery of a local...more
Published August 16th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 10th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Dry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Dry

Ty
another in the humorous series of books by Ben Rehder set in the Texas Hill Country. if you like Carl Hiassen, you will like these books. basically, a number of oddball characters interact and some end up dead. the very appealing lead character, who is a county game warden, figures it all out and nails the bad guys in the end. it's laugh out loud funny in places and moves quickly, so it's a pretty easy read. enjoy!
Katy
I love this author! He writes about the cases of the Blanco County, TX, sheriff, and the way he solves his cases. Definitely not Andy of Mayberry, (maybe a little of Barney though, but a cast of characters that rival Mayberry. I love his humor, and, I think I've actually met a few of the characters in this book.

For a riot of a plot, and a ton of belly-laughs, this writer is great.
Lynn
Not a classic, but a darn good book to read in between all the "serious" books we so like to read!

I thought it was extremely funny. Reminded me about the movie "Fargo". I know some readers out there may not have liked "Fargo" (probably thought it was too violent.) But for some reason, I thought "Fargo" was hilarious.

"Bone Dry" struck me in the same vein. Just imagine a New Jersey mob-type character, with his son cut in the same mold, trying to make a living in a backwater Texas town. I couldn't...more
Katy
More by my newly discovered Austin author; this one involves the business of clearing cedars in the drought stricken area of Central Tx that houses our property. So once again, interesting to me, and fun to read, but maybe not for those who don't live here.
Glenn
Sep 22, 2008 Glenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like books by Carl Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey or Bill Fitzhugh
Shelves: humorous-novels
Mix a mob guy who's in the witness protection program, a couple of local rednecks, some environmentalists and some local good ole boys in Texas law enforcement and what do you get? A pretty funny story with comic capers and hijinks.
Roberta Marro
Sound recording. A very funny book and true to the Texas mindset. I'd never heard of Mr. Rehder, but I liked his writing style. I seem to remember reading another in the series, but couldn't find the title.
Donna
Entertaining read. Interesting mix of characters and a good description of small town life in Texas. Good mystery with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing.
Lori
This was the second book in the series and I have the third on my TBR pile. Enjoyed it, mystery with laughs.
Megan
Great read. Especially with hunting season startin'.
Jess Rosler
Weird book, but I actually enjoyed it!!
Christa
rednecks-mystery-game wardens-what's not to like?
Sue
2nd book in the series. Very fun.
Ensiform
The second Blanco Country mystery. Game warden John Marlin is again drawn reluctantly into a homicide investigation. It starts quirkily enough and in his wheelhouse: a drought has made two prominent local men, Emmett Slayton, crusty old rancher (with loveable bumbling would-be crook hillbillies Billy Don and Red from the previous book working for him), and Sal Mameli, an ex-mafioso in the witness protection program, compete for the suddenly in-demand cedar brush-cutting business; Mameli and his...more
Steven
Excellent story!! This murder yarn follows game warden John Marlin through his central Texas beat and the myriad of colorful individuals he meets. Sure there are rednecks but also stoners, business men, deer hunters, poachers, supermodel environmentalists, mafia hit men, and Guatemalan house keepers. Who knew that the central hills of Texas could be so colorful?

At the core of the story is the murder of local deer hunter. This events triggers a sequence of murders that has the local constabulary'...more
Ned
I read Stuart Woods novels for a couple of decades, calling his stories my 'guilty pleasures'. A few years ago, I decided his is a hack and his books are no longer worth reading.

This author, I think, is now my new 'guilty pleasure'. He is hilarious, with subjects that are not usually hilarious, and I just like his writing.

Like any guilty pleasure, I want more!!!
Mary Beth
I absolutely loved this book! The number of laugh-out-loud instances were many, the characters were great---but the language was horrible. This is my 4th Blanco County book, but I don't think I will buy another---that's how offensive the language was. Sad.
D.L. Williams
Bone dry: Humorous book, if you like Carl Hiaasen, you will like Ben Rehder. Enjoyed the read, be ready for Mob guys in protection program (and son) Local ne’er-do-well’s and always the law enforcement guys.
Mrs. Garen L. Herd
Very funny.

Very funny.

Once you get all the descriptions of all the players out of the way, the action really starts. Hilariously funny. Very highly recommend.
Beth
Jan 20, 2013 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Loved this book! A good mystery that keeps you on your toes. I was able to solve some of the mysteries, but not all of them - just like a good mystery. The book moves at a good pace.

One word of warning for those reading on a Kindle - it's not easy to differentiate between sections. One minute you're reading about characters A and B. You move onto a new paragraph with character C and as you finish the paragraph you realize you're actually in a new scene altogether. The hardcopy version may be dif...more
Scott Nogle
Enjoyable mystery book. I especially like that the story is set in the Texas hill country.
Lacey
Second book in the series, better than the first. As a Carl Hiaasen fan and a Texan, I can't help but love these comical, sarcastic stories. Very fast-paced, love how the perspective jumps around to different characters as "scenes" change. Will definitely read the next installment.
katbethell
Rehder's Blanco County books are just plain fun to read.
Kim Norman
Loved it! It kept me interested & involved and I found myself unable to put this book down!
Ashley
I feel like this series gets a little better with each book. Once again, the stories is told by jumping back and forth to different points of view. You have a ton of loose ends by the middle of the book, and yet by the end everything is tied up in a neat little package, and you find yourself thinking, "I never saw that coming". I love the conversations between Red and Billy Don, and how they always end up smack dab in the middle of whatever is going on. Another pretty good book.
Joyce

Tis was another entertaining read. John marlin, the Game Warden, works with the Sheriff to solve a series of murders. Blanco County is rural Texas at its most colorful. The characters include a New York Mafioso and family who are in the witness protection program, tree huggers, local country characters and the like. It is well written and a fun read.
Jeff Dickison
A good murder/mystery involving the usual Blanco County gang, including game warden John Marlin and Sheriff Garza. Of course rednecks Red and Billy Don inadvertantly play a main part. Enjoyable, written with tongue-in-cheek humor. Recommended to fans of mysteries and anyone who enjoys wry humor.
Lee
In the second Blanco County Mystery - you have a mobster in the witness protection program/murder in the woods/and a naked female hotty protester. Just another wild adventure in the life of game warden John Marlin. Fun, lighthearted and humorous addition to the series.
Rosina
Fun read. some of the plot was a bit unbelievable, but really a fun read: 'humorous mystery'. And enjoyed the Texas references as well. Interesting view of environmental issues, especially for Texas. Author clearly from Austin (smile). Enjoy!
John Lago
Another entertaining Blanco County mystery! Mr. Rehder's characters are certainly interesting, to say the least. If you like to laugh and you like a mystery where you DON'T know "WHODUNIT" in the first chapter, you have to give Ben Rehder a try!
Susan
I really enjoyed listening to this second book. John Marlin is exceptional in his job as game warden and Ben makes him so personable. Red and Billy Don are two very funny characters! Those too crack me up.
Bone Dry—any questions? 3 9 May 20, 2014 02:15PM
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • Do Not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #2)
  • Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • Heartshot
  • Caribbean Moon
  • No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
  • The Butterfly Legacy
  • Mean Woman Blues (Skip Langdon, #9)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Half-Baked
  • Taking Out the Trailer Trash
  • Deadly Blessings (An Alex St. James Mystery #1)
  • Sweet Ginger Poison
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • All For One
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
Ben Rehder wanted to become a writer ever since he was dropped on his head as a toddler. As he grew into a young adult and the vertigo gradually dissipated, his passion for literature grew. Ben longed to craft the type of soul-stirring prose that would touch people’s lives and help them explore new emotional horizons. But he went to work at an ad agency instead.

Throughout his rewarding and fruitfu...more
More about Ben Rehder...
Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1) Flat Crazy (A Blanco County Mystery #3) Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4) Holy Moly (A Blanco County Mystery #6) Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)