Start by marking “Birds” as Want to Read:
Birds

Birds

This guide will help you identify-quickly and easily-the birds you are most likely to see. It tells you:

What to look for
Where and when to look
How to attract birds

Range maps show where each bird is found, and handy tables at the back of the book contain a wealth of additional information about migration, eggs, nests, and food. This is the perfect bird book for beginners at
Published April 14th 2001 by Golden Guides from St. Martin's Press (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds

Jessaka
Dec 07, 2016 Jessaka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When we were young kids, my brother was given a BB gun, while I was given this book. He and his friends used to shoot at birds that we in our apricot tree in the summer months when the fruit had ripened. I could never stop him since he was bigger than me. I was not a brave little girl in spite of my giving a boy a bloody nose when I was in the second grade. I just love thinking about that one.

Well, I should have climbed up the tree and refused to get down. I am not sure what he would have done t
Anna
Aug 25, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just came across these while snooping through someone's 'read' page (sorry Heather!). I've used these golden nature guides since I was little and have loved loved loved them. It doesn't matter that the illustrations are occasionally inaccurrate and err on the side of cuteness. The copies at our house are falling apart from love and overuse!
heltones
Dec 19, 2009 heltones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my bird book as a child and now it is my son's. It's a well-drawn, simple bird book appropriate for children that can help start a life-long appreciation of birds and nature.
Eva Kelly
Dec 22, 2014 Eva Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, we found THIS one at the dump too, and it's so great, I can't stop looking and looking and looking at it, even with all the words, which are big but not too big. Tanya said that it's all information about the birds. They're all really pretty, and you know what? Whoever had this book first wrote days on some of the pages, and one of them was 1964! That was when Mimi was only four like me! But I don't think this was her book.
The best page is a tree that shows all of the birds sitting in it an
Diane Fogel
Mar 07, 2016 Diane Fogel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bird lovers
Recommended to Diane by: Grandma C.
I love and cherish this book! It was passed down to me by my grandmother before she moved to Ohio. It may be tattered and worn, with a faded cover but I love looking up birds in it to this day. I think of her every time I look through it. She bough it in the late 1950's brand new when she was in her early 40's. When I was a child growing up and went to visit her, she would tell me what the birds at the bird feeder where named. So if I saw something new I would ask her what it was called, if she ...more
Erik Graff
Jun 14, 2010 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Erik by: Lajla Stousland
Shelves: sciences
A whole bunch of these Golden Guides were at grandmother Lajla's summer house in SW Michigan when I was growing up and I likely read all of them on cool fall evenings when there was nothing else to do and Dad was listening to classical music on the radio. They were hardbound, those early copies, pocket-sized and cheap. I particularly liked the distribution maps.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 30, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Zim has put together a mini-encycopedia of common American birds with descriptions and illustrations. A very good book for a young person.
Ron
Feb 15, 2016 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A classic guide. Maybe it got updated in later years but for me, I still call an American Kestrel a "Sparrow Hawk". Because Zim said so....
Leisha Wharfield
Sep 24, 2011 Leisha Wharfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to have on hand to identify birds--I learned so much! Ira N. Gabrielson should not be listed as the first author, though. The first author is Herbert S. Zim, Ph.D.
Dad
Jul 30, 2011 Dad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: naturalist
Golden Guide books are excellent. This is helpful but I find more comprehensive birding books like the Audubon much more useful.
Ginger
This was my childhood book. My copy is from 1956 and it's still wonderful.
Amy Birnbaum
Amy Birnbaum rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2008
Michel Bertrand
Michel Bertrand rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2013
William Neagle
William Neagle rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Pentamom
Pentamom rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Honey N
Honey N rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Sukardakarda
Sukardakarda rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Joel
Joel rated it did not like it
Dec 29, 2015
Cynthia Skelton
Cynthia Skelton rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Cassidy Ellenberger
Cassidy Ellenberger rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2010
Michelle Norton
Michelle Norton rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Z
Z rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Beth Kaminske
Beth Kaminske rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
Good for a starting bird watcher.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • Stalking the Healthful Herbs
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • A Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • Sibley's Birding Basics: How to Identify Birds, Using the Clues in Feathers, Habitats, Behaviors, and Sounds
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Geology
  • Ultimate Spy Book
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • The Nature and Properties of Soil
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)