Start by marking “Yours Until Death (Varg Veum, #2)” as Want to Read:
Yours Until Death (Varg Veum, #2)

Yours Until Death (Varg Veum #2)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
It was at their 'torture chamber', a hut in the pinewoods nearby, that Varg Veum, Private Investigator, first encountered the gang's pathetic but deadly ferocity. Eight-year-old Roar's bicycle had been stolen and not an adult in sight dared retrieve it. But a preliminary brush with such youthful violence was as nothing compared to what awaited Veum when he got to know Roar ...more
Published January 2010 by Arcadia Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Yours Until Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yours Until Death

ΠανωςΚ
Jan 07, 2016 ΠανωςΚ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μια ίσως λανθασμένη εντύπωση: στα νεότερα νουάρ μυθιστορήματα, τα κλισέ του είδους χρησιμοποιούνται ειρωνικά, ως ένα μετα-οτιδήποτε σχόλιο. Απ' την άλλη, στο όχι και τόσο νέο (1979) νουάρ μυθιστόρημα «Δικός σου ως το θάνατο» ο συγγραφέας κυριολεκτεί όταν χρησιμοποιεί τα κλισέ του είδους, η τσαντλερική μίμηση γίνεται με σεβασμό και το τελικό αποτέλεσμα είναι γοητευτικότατο παρά τις βαρύγδουπες φράσεις, που εντέλει απολαμβάνεις, του στιλ: «Αλλο τίποτα δεν είχα να τη δώσω, ούτε και της έδωσα. Ημουν ...more
Paul
Jun 27, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Yours Until Death – Norwegian Noir at its best

Yours Until Death by the Norwegian writer Gunnar Staalesen was originally published in 1979 in his native Norway and in English for the first time in 1993 and now re-released by Arcadia Books and I think they are on a winner. More importantly he comes highly recommended by Jo Nesbø who calls him “A Norwegian Chandler” and having read and enjoyed this crime thriller I cannot disagree this is Norwegian Noir at its best.

Gunnar Staalesen in Yours Until D
Stan Lanier
Feb 23, 2012 Stan Lanier rated it really liked it
"It was one of those days when people go around with faces like clenched fists and it doesn't take much to make them attack. The afternoon arrived slowly and late. As if it didn't want to show up at all."

"Hamre sat on the law-abiding side of one of those desks everybody is issued with in offices that have the personality of a deoderant."

"My head felt like a rotten orange somebody had stepped on....My body hurt, my face looked like a prop in a bad thriller."

"February is a short-legged man somewhe
Bookmaniac70
Не очаквайте напрегнат, динамичен сюжет със сложни логически главоблъсканици! Силата на Гюнар Столесен е в бавното, спокойно повествование, в което има място за лирически отклонения и психологически портрети.

Цялото ревю за "Аз чета"
sslyb
Jun 14, 2015 sslyb rated it liked it
This private investigator sure has a lot to say. First in a series. Hope they get better.
 Olivermagnus
Aug 02, 2014 Olivermagnus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: euro-crime
Varg Veum is a not so successful private detective in 1970s Bergen, Norway. One day an eight-year-old boy named Roar comes to his office and hires Veum to find his bicycle which has been stolen by a local gang of teenage thugs. Roar lives alone with his mother but he doesn't want her to try to get the bike because the gang members assaulted the mother of one of Roar's friends who tried to get her son's stolen bike back. Varg meets leader of the gang, Joker, who appears to unstable and the situat ...more
Kb
Jan 11, 2016 Kb rated it really liked it
I had a profound review of this book half-written in my Goodreads app and forgot to save before moving on. I doubt I'll be able to reproduce what I had previously typed.

I know I wanted to say that this book is very much a product of its time (late 1970s) and modern forensics techniques would have eliminated the central mystery in short order. Likewise, the world has moved on from the philosophical questions about love, sex, commitment, and fidelity that seem to underlie every heterosexual relat
Steve Isaak
May 03, 2014 Steve Isaak rated it liked it
Yours is a straightforward, full-of-snappy-dialogue and entertaining non-mystery (the bad guys are easily sussed out), with few - if any - twists in the plot. That said, this word-lean book doesn't seem to be focused on shocking plot convolutions, but rather a philosophical, wry and sometimes melancholic rumination on relationships and love - if that was the author's intention (and it reads like it was), then this is an above average novel with a quirky and engaging lead character.

Worth reading,
Χρήστος Καψάλης
Αν δεν έχετε ανακαλύψει ακόμα τον Ευρωπαίο Φίλιπ Μάρλοου κι αν δεν έχετε συναντήσει ακόμα τον Σκανδιναβό Ρεήμοντ Τσάντλερ, σπεύσατε.

Ο Ελρόι κάποια στιγμή έγραψε πως “ο μεγάλος Ρέη (σ.σ Τσάντλερ) μου δίδαξε ότι η μίμηση αποτελεί τη χρυσή λεωφόρο προς την μετριότητα”.

Ο Staalesen στην πρώτη πετυχημένη ιστορία του ντετέκτιβ Βαργκ Βέουμ μιμείται, αλλά δεν οδηγείται στην μετριότητα. Δεν είναι βέβαια Τσάντλερ, αλλά έχει αυθεντικό ενδιαφέρον.

Ο Βαργκ Βέουμ είναι ένας κλασσικός αντιήρωας, ένας ντετέκτιβ μ
Greg
Jul 08, 2013 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle
Yours Until Death is the first of the Varg Veum books translated into English although, oddly, not the first in the series. Based in Bergen in Norway, Varg is a dissolute small-time private investigator, and was formerly a Child Welfare officer.

The book opens with a young child walking into Varg's office seeking help recovering his bike from some vicious bullies. Varg agrees to help, and gradually starts to get involved with the boy and his recently-separated mother. After the mother asks Varg
Manolis
Nov 24, 2013 Manolis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved, crime
Είχα ακούσει μια ιστορία για έναν τύπο από την ανατολική Νορβηγία, που είχε νοσηλευτεί στο Μπέργκεν με ρήξη στον αστράγαλο. Όταν επέστρεψε στο Όσλο και πήγε να τον εξετάσουν εκεί, ο γιατρός έριξε ένα βλέμμα στον αστράγαλό του, τον κοίταξε ανήσυχος και τού είπε: «Στα Επείγοντα του Μπέργκεν πήγες;» Ο ασθενής έγνεψε κατατρομαγμένος και ο γιατρός φώναξε ένα γκρουπ τελειόφοιτων που βρίσκονταν εκεί κοντά. Μαζεύτηκαν όλοι γύρω από τον τραυματία και τον κοίταζαν σαν να ήταν μια σπάνια περίπτωση. Ο γιατρ ...more
Merq
Mar 23, 2015 Merq rated it really liked it
I liked the vivid language and the lonely world of the private investigator Varg Veum. This book is for adult taste and full of sad but true facts of life itself, of people who are just randomly living in it and of love which sort of just happens, or not. Nordic theme showed from the book truthfully and I could imagine the everyday life in a Norwegian village with its unfortunate residents. Book had a kind of sad and distant feeling in it, probably because it was from the point of view of Varg V ...more
S N
Jun 22, 2015 S N rated it really liked it
Staalesen has a witty way of weaving comedic relief into a dark story line often full of depressing events and foreboding.
Arnie
Mar 03, 2014 Arnie rated it really liked it
Varg Veum seems to be portrayed as a world weary guy that women fall for without knowing why...but beniethe that he is the bearer of dark clouds,bad news...the harbinger of death....bodies gravitate to him...Its an interesting puzzle within the stories of private detective Varg Veum.
Lexie Conyngham
Nov 02, 2015 Lexie Conyngham rated it really liked it
It‘s not the author’s fault or even the translator’s that some of the words seem to have come through a little oddly in this edition – dutch for clutch, fiat for flat. If you can skip past those (and there aren’t too many of them) the brittle, spiky descriptions can make you laugh, or cry, or sit back and love the beauty. I like Bergen so I enjoy the setting, and the plots are 1970s noir-ish – well-paced, a little dark, reminiscent of Raymond Chandler. The plots are tight and the pacing good. Th ...more
Tom
Feb 18, 2014 Tom marked it as to-read
Vargas Veum #2
Bill
Jun 30, 2010 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign-mystery
An early Varg Veum novel. The second I read. It reminded me a great deal of Ross MacDonald. The hard boiled detective dealing with family issues that transcend the sordid crime that sets the plot in motion. I came to these books after seeing the television movies from Norway based on them. In fact, the second or third in the television series was based on this novel. I liked both the book and the film (which deviated quite a lot from the book), but felt both were imitations of other better works ...more
Peter Holland
Jan 07, 2015 Peter Holland rated it it was amazing
The crime is not committed until well into this fine novel; early pages dwell on seemingly unimportant events. But the tension gradually develops and without realising, the reader is soon caught up in a real page-turner. Varg Veum is a beautifully constructed character, in the Chandler tradition; tough on the outside, but scratch the surface and sensitivity soon shines through. The imagery and poetry of the text is tremendously effective. A great read. One of my very few 5-star reviews.
Jan 16, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Somewhat formulaic and a little dated, it's a precursor to a lot of the more modern Nordic thrillers I read a lot of. Kind of Mike Hammerish in tone, I wanted to know more about Veum's past (which might be in the 1st book-this is the 2nd); there was a lot of philosophizing on love and divorce that I didn't need.

However, he gets the tone right and his writing is tight. I'm going to check out the other books in this series.
Phil
Jul 10, 2014 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norwegian crime fiction, a somewhat inept PI based in Bergen, Noway. Gunnar is a hugely popular writer in Norway. Pretty much unknown in the states. This is the 2nd book by Gunnar I've read - recommended.
Tony
Mar 09, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it
What a great surprise Gunnar Staalesen turned out to be. His writing is a kind of subverted noir. Rather like a poetic Norwegian version of Raymond Chandler. Liked his writing much more than some of the currently "hyped-up" authors. I was hoping to read the next book in the series, but it is hard to get hold of at a reasonable price. Lets hope they reissue it. Publishers take note.
Michael
Jul 29, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Recommended to Michael by: Eavan
Not very ~good~ -- certainly not very realistic nor much to write home about as a whodunit, and one or the other would be nice to have. The prose might be brilliant in Norwegian, but in English translation it is often perilously close to hilarious parody of the hard-bitten noir style. Yet it is oddly compelling.
Carey Combe
Aug 20, 2010 Carey Combe rated it did not like it
Shelves: prick-lit
Lotte
Oct 05, 2011 Lotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lydbog, krimi
Jeg kunne faktisk rigtig godt lide den. Ikke den bedste krimi, men den har mange facetter om livet og kærligheden, og selvom krimihelten måske er set før, så er han alligevel sin egen.
Grace
Nov 15, 2013 Grace rated it liked it
This is a very well written book, and I am a huge fan of Nordic Noir. But this one was just too heavy, too dark that it was suffocating.
Vera Steine
Peculiar writing style, not too inventive a plot, but nice.
Gjermund Hauge
Bedre enn den første.
Bruce Hatton
Bruce Hatton is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
  • Menneskefluene (K2 #1)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Winter of the Lions
  • Death of the Demon (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #3)
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • The Last Fix
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland)
  • Incinerator (Simeon Grist Mystery, #4)
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Tell Tale
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Nights of Awe
  • The Defenceless
Gunnar Staalesen is a Norwegian writer. Staalesen has a cand.philol degree from Universitetet i Bergen and he has worked at Den Nationale Scene, the main theater in Bergen.
More about Gunnar Staalesen...

Varg Veum (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Das Haus mit der grünen Tür
  • Tornerose sov i hundre år (Den Svarte serie)
  • Kvinnen i kjøleskapet
  • At Night All Wolves Are Grey (Varg Veum, #5)
  • Der Hexenring. Varg Veum Ermittelt
  • Black Sheep (Varg Veum, #7)
  • Anges Dechus (Varg Veum, #8)
  • Bitre Blomster
  • Begravde Hunder Biter Ikke
  • The Writing on the Wall (Varg Veum, #11)