Start by marking “Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  667 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Typical books about preserving garden produce nearly always assume that modern "kitchen gardeners" will boil or freeze their vegetables and fruits. Yet here is a book that goes back to the future--celebrating traditional but little-known French techniques for storing and preserving edibles in ways that maximize flavor and nutrition.Translated into English, and with a new f ...more
Published April 4th 2007 by Chelsea Green Publishing (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning

Mrs.
Very basic and simplistic. Recommend getting it from the library before you think about buying it.
Meghan Fidler
While some of the directions in this book are a little difficult to follow (all of the recipes were submitted by readers of a journal, and translation may also have added a difficulty), this book was filled with thing I had never before encountered. I can't wait to hunt down a basswood tree, actual linden flowers, and earthen pots for lactic fermentation! I adore that this was a 'ground up' cookbook, and that the respondents were older folk living in relatively rural areas. It's an entirely diff ...more
Cass
The year I grew 30 cabbages in my garden, I tried making sauerkraut. It was good but too salty for our palates. If I had tried one of the recipes in this book, we may have like it better.

This book is full of the 'old' ways of preserving food while retaining nutrients. Those of us who have been taught food preservation by canning and freezing might have a hard time eating green bean that are preserved by lactic fermination: String the beans, place them uncooked in jars and cover with cold water.
Harley
I checked this out from our public library and I'll definitely be purchasing a copy of my own. It is filled with various preservation techniques and recipes(except for freezing and canning) that were submitted to a gardening publication in France. Initially,I was mainly interested in the (lactic acid) fermentation section, but after reading through some of the preservation recipes for vinegar,salt,sugar and drying,that have been included,I decided I needed to add the title to my personal collect ...more
Christel
Anything I was interested in trying, I found was either too general to figure it out or missing some steps that made it safe. I've dehydrated tomatoes and then put them in oil. You can't just put something in oil. The other people who gave this a 2 star rating on Amazon said a lot of what I was thinking. So I'll keep searching for ways to do things. NOTE: I have put fresh fruit in alcohol and let it sit with whatever herbs and spices I wanted to add, strained it out, and then added simple syrup. ...more
Randy
A must have in my reference library. I'm anxious to try a number of recipes and storage techniques that go way beyond canning and freezing. The book talks about storage methods using salt, oil, sugar, alcohol, vinegar, drying, cold storage and latic fermentation.

Looking forward to trying this one, for example:

"Nasturtium Seed Capers,
Toward the of summer collect the green seeds from nasturtiums that have lost their blossoms. Put these in a jar along with dill leaves and a good white wine vinega
Amy
Nov 12, 2008 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any you who is interested in Preparedness
Okay, this book is soooo fun! I now have raw lemons on my shelf in my cold food storage! Should be good for a "VERY LONG TIME" according to the book. No cooking, no juicing, no peeling! Oh my goodness it was so easy, it was a little scary! OK maybe I'm being a giddy little school girl, but I can't help but be excited by the prospect of a fresh lemons for cooking or just for eating when the famine comes!!!!!
This book teaches about Lactic Fermentation which is preserving foods with their own juice
Jen Hartley
Great ideas for preserving food without electricity. This book is truly traditional, in that it doesn't cover canning or freezing, unlike most other books on the market about preserving food. Right now I am experimenting mostly with drying food and lactic fermentation (just bought a crock and lid and have the first batch of sauerkraut going). I love the format of this book, drawing upon traditional European "peasant" knowledge-- makes me feel in touch with my ancestors, who probably knew all abo ...more
Beth
If you made *nothing* from this collection of recipes, it would still be 100% worth a read. Fascinating recipes from organic gardeners all over France, many of which offer details that reveal the origin of the method, something about their family history, the taste of the gardener, etc. You gotta love the recipes that start off with "First get a clean, regular-sized barrel..." a BARREL! Many methods of preservation are introduced, included root cellars, lacto-fermentation, jams, fruit-in-booze, ...more
Brad Belschner
Sample recipes: rosehip jam with honey, sauerkraut made from whole cabbages, goat cheese in olive oil, green beans in a salt pot, apples dried with elderflowers, etc.

This book wasn't what I expected, but it's really good nonetheless. It's not a systematic guide to food preservation; it's simply an organized collection of family recipes. The French organic gardening magazine, "Les Quatre Saisons du Jardinage", asked its readers to contribute their traditional recipes for preserving fruits and veg
WitchHaven Millay
Another valuable book to have these days!
Ricci
Interesting but not for the beginner.
These old-school, ancient recipes from the French gardeners and farmers of Terre Vivante are amazing. We've messed with canning and making preservers, but these recipes demonstrate the fundamentals of preserving in the ground, by drying, fermenting, with salt or with natural sugars. You can preserve food with very little energy input and also make something delicious that makes the time spent washing, peeling, straining whole fruits and veggies worthwhile. I borrowed this book, definitely will i ...more
Kathy Kenney
Can't wait to own this book and to try some of the recipes. there are many wonderful techniques in this book for preserving food without freezing or canning. I will definitely be trying some of them with my tomatoes and peppers harvest this fall. I have yet to try any of the recipes, but, unlike other reviewers, I have no fears about preserving food with the methods described in this book as humans have been using these methods WAY longer than refrigerators have been in existence.
G
A great resource. The book is a compilation of many people giving their traditional methods. Some as simple as stringing apples slices on a string to dry. I have had fantastic results drying many foods with wood frame/black window screen frames we put together. I ran across a recommendation for the book from a site I was using for more Weston A Price 'style' recipes. I'm definitely enjoying these new foods.
Emily Mellow
I really liked the emphasis on preserving nutrition and vitality in foods. I am definitely making sun-dried tomatoes this summer, and I'm going to try more lacto-fermented veggies, including pickles. There were a lot of good ideas, but sadly no pictures. All the ideas were sent in by readers, and some may be questionable. Still, a great way to preserve family recipes and local preservation customs.
Fatstagnation
A really fun and informative read!
This book is a collection of recipes that have been passed down between families and neighbors. Each recipe is specific to the food being preserved and the best technique used. I've tried one or two recipes with success, and I look forward to trying more.
A good index lets you cross-reference different recipes for preserving a given food.
Thomasin
"Celebrating traditional but little-known French techniques for storing and preserving edibles..." Very interesting stuff in here! Drying, packing in oil, lactic fermentation, preserving with salt or sugar: this book has ideas for saving your garden's produce that I've never heard of in any other book. I'm eager to try out the directlons/recipes this year.
N.L. Riviezzo
While I appreciated the information on other ways to preserve fruits and vegetables, I was hoping there would be some recipes for meat. A few of the submitted recipes are vague or have statements like 'remove the mold before mixing up the contents' which makes me hesitant to try them. Other recipes seem worthwhile and worth the purchasing of this book.
Anna
Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning probably isn't a book that will stay on my shelf forever. However, it's a very interesting peek into old European food preservation methods and has helped me figure out a few categories of new recipes I want to try out.
Jeffrey
This is more of a recipe book than a book on techniques. There are load of variants, but no information on generalizing the techniques. It might be because you can sort of make stuff up as you go, I'd worry about making up something that has to sit for a month before you can test the results, especially when food safety might be an issue.
Lisa
Excellent advice for sustainable, low-energy methods of traditional food preservation. I'm going to try many of these methods this fall! Since I have built a very functional root cellar, I am thrilled to have this useful advice for how to use it well (as well as many other preservation methods which involve oil, salt, vinegar, etc.).
Gentlyferal
You can preserve tomatoes for months, on the plant, by uprooting in early autumn, wrapping each tomato in paper, and hanging the plant upside down indoors. Who knew? I'll try it with *one* plant. I learned this in the first 15 minutes. I think I'll read up on natural, sugar-free jams next. I'm probably going to buy this book.
Charlene
Just realized I never posted a review for this. It's a great reference guide for food preservation, lots of interesting ideas and recipes. I think it's fantastic that regional recipes have been preserved this way, and it's also good to see an alternative to freezing/canning that preserves more of the vitamin content.
Kelly Knapp
Apr 14, 2013 Kelly Knapp rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preppers and DIYers
I was dreading having to learn how to can everything. Now I can use multiple techniques and have both canned and fresh foods during the winter. I will need to re-read the book, so much information, as I begin using the methods to preserve my garden produce and the food I get from the grocery.
Betsy
Feb 17, 2009 Betsy marked it as to-read
Shelves: delicious
got putting food by at a used book sale and it promptly scared the crap out of me. I immediately gave it to Greta, because she is braver than me in the kitchen. This one looks a little less intimidating - although it is French and they are super particular about their food, you know.
K.
Just got this about 1/2 hour ago and already disappointed. I was hoping to learn how to preserve meat by salting etc. Not one mention of meat, period. Lots of fruits and veggies though. Hope one of my other new books has the meat info I wanted.
Renée
A gem of a preserving book, filled with trucs et astuces from the local people who use these techniques everyday, year after year. A concise and useful way to capture traditional, accessible and nutrient and flavour-filled preserving knowledge...
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Putting Food By
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes