Start by marking “Rover” as Want to Read:
Rover

Rover

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  617 ratings  ·  54 reviews
He was just a fat runt of a puppy. He didn't look much like his namesake, Mighty Rover, but when the witch gave Riki Snarfari his True Name, it stuck.

She was just a poor farm girl. She lived alone with her mother in a quiet seaside village and spent her days running after the cows.

When Viking raiders attack, both are taken as prisoners. The Viking ways are strange: their h
Published March 13th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published March 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rover

Mickey
Plot
Vikings invade and destroy a small coastal village. Hekja and her dog, Snarf, are captured and taken to Greenland. In this harsh and cold land, Hekja becomes a 'thrall', a slave, to the daughter of the infamous Erik the Red, Freydis Eriksdottir.
Hekja's fiery determination wins her the respect of her mistress. But Hekja's journey was just beginning, as she and Snarf and other colonists join their leader, Freydis, on a voyage to Vinland to establish a new settlement where more perilous adventu
Paul
A distinctly pedestrian tale set in Viking times. The author is fairly talented as she creates moderately realistic characters. However she lets herself down by her obsession with explaining every last little word and term by using foot notes instead of a simple glossary at the back of the book, leaving you with the feeling this is much more a narrative history book than a story at heart.

On top of this the action moves incredibly slowly and when I flicked ahead to find out if anything was ever l
I loved the premise of this book because I find this period of history fascinating, and something about the idea of a young girl sold into slavery also has a weird appeal for me (I think it may stem from reading 'A Voice in the Wind' by Francine Rivers about 10 times as a preteen). BUT it was one of those books where the author has done all this research and is determined to shove it in one way or another, in fact Jackie French was quite shameless about it and went so far as to add FOOTNOOTES on ...more
Sue
I read this book a long time ago but whenever I have time I pick it up and read it again. This is my favorite book and I've read it so many times I can remember what happens in each chapter.
It is about Hejka a girl who's father and brothers died so she lives with her mother. One day Viking invaders come to the small island village and take Hejka back as a slave. She travels to Vinland where she works as a messenger and watches the cows. Hejka soon finds herself more willing to help her "Mistres
My daughter checked this out at the library, and has been telling us about it chapter by chapter.

It's an enjoyable story to read - starts with tragedy, but ends with happiness for the main character. It is also a fascinating look into the life of the sister of Leif Erikson - daughter to Eric the Red.
Liam
I read this book when I was 12 and is still one of my favorite books. Although it is not fast pace it has been written brilliantly!
Rose
The theme of Rover by Jackie French is that you should never give up. This book taught me this because although everything that Hekja had ever known, was torn from her she still had hope and she never gave up. She didn’t give up trying to get her freedom back, and she didn’t give up trying to return home. She fought even when she was scared and lost and she always tried to look at the bright side. She was a positive role model who teaches readers to never give up. Hekja proved to people that she ...more
Stephanie
When my teacher said to me we were learning about Vikings I was bored. But when we started to read , I was interested.
It starts on one of the Scottish Islands, where Hekja and her Ma live. Hekja struggles to fit, because her family is the poorest of the whole village. But when Hekja spots strange ships coming towards the village Hekja is scared. Along with her dog Snarf Hekja has to survive ferocious Vikings, drowning,starvation and everything that is thrown at her.
Always a pleasure reading Jac
Clare O'Beara
This is an excellent read for older children, young adults and adults alike. The story follows a Scottish island girl, Hekja, who lives in a small village with her dog Snarf who protects the cows. A Viking raid however sees them taken captive and the family destroyed.

Young fit slaves were valued by the Vikings as runners and after some time Hekja is put aboard a longship heading to Vinland under the leadership of Freydis Eriksdottir. The Vikings did not make maps so they have only the words of
Ailish
Katy
I decided to read this book because I had been searching for a book that was unlike the sort of novel I usually read (dystopian, fantasy or supernatural) and I thought it would be an interesting change.

This novel fills in the category of a book that teaches me about another time in history. This is a pretty broad category, but instead of reading something about British/ Tudor history I decided I wanted to know more about Vikings, because I found that I have quite a lot of Scottish Viking blood i
Carmine
Jan 17, 2008 Carmine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle schoolers
Last year we went through a period at our house where we constantly talked about the Norse settlement of Greenland and their exploration of North America. This interest was spurred by reading Jared Diamond's "Collapse." So it was interesting to read a fictional account of the same time period. Overall I liked the book, but wasn't particularly drawn in by any of the characters, with the exception of Freydis. The setting was unique and brings reader into life around 1000 AD.
I am not a dog lover so
Samantha
This is one of the nominees for the Maine Student Book Award. It was a okay book. I prefer her one of her picture books, Diary of a Wombat. The author also uses footnotes throughout the book to clarify certain Viking terms that might be confusing. I could see why maybe teachers would really like this, but I found it to be a bit distracting.

The book is called Rover, which is the name of the dog. The main character is Hekja, the dog's owner. She lives a quiet life on an island until it is attacked
Veronica
I read this book a few years ago for a reading group school and I absolutely adore it! The characters are realistic and enchanting, I didn't want to put the book down for a second. I thought of it today but I couldn't remember the title so I searched the internet for any sign and I'm so glad I found it. I would love to read this book again, I may be in high school but some stories are for any age.
Heidi
AMAZING book!! I love that there are junior fiction novels that grab me and hold my attention!! This was a wonderful book and I can't wait until the boys are old enough to read it!
Noor -^•^-
When I read this, all I thought is "Why did it finish?"
At that time, this was one of the best stories that I've read in my whole like.
"In" that time.
It's amazing. Great story.
Leah
Read aloud for my 7 year old. Had to edit on the fly for some parts as it was a bit violent. He enjoyed the story and loved Snarf.
Angelic
i really liked the story but i didn't like the ending, i don't know why but i didn't want it to end that way, though the beginning was really nice. I enjoyed the beginning but didn't like the end.
Westcoast_girl
Sep 26, 2013 Westcoast_girl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in the viking age
This book is one of a kind. Few historically accurate books are written in YA fiction about the vikings. Least of all, their slaves.
Slave Girl follows Hekja and begins at her own town, before it is raided. After the raiding, she is taken as a slave and must live in the worst conditions, always fearing pain or death. But she triumphs. Slave Girl is like the Katniss of the viking age.
I would warn younger readers that the book does have some violence, but it is also a story of bravery and overcomi
Care
It was an awesome yet bloody book
Matt Leo
One of the best books I have ever read!
Erin Pallott
I've read this book many times. I haven't read it recently because I really do know the story too well. I think I first read it when I was 11.

I love the incorporation of real people into the story. It makes them easier to imagine. I found the story quite touching and I probably should read it again to refresh my memory. I love reading fictions with hints of truths. It shows so many different types of relationships... And that dog is pretty special. :D
Rosie
I've just finished studying the vikings in school, and while studying I was reading this book. Rover is very informational about viking times - it's got definitions on the bottoms of some pages, which is really nice. But it is also VERY sweet, and very easy/fun to read. I REALLY liked this book. I do reccomend it!
Neill Smith
Hejka is an outsider in her village after her father died but she and her mother did their best. When Viking raiders come she is abducted and taken back as a slave. But her hard work and her abilities impress an influential family and she finds herself on a voyage to the new world to rediscover Vinland.
Skadi
This is a well told story that kept me turning the pages. The historical setting was well researched and detailed so that it gave the story more depth with out bogging it down. With great female characters that are strong and lead the story, i would recommend this to anyone but especially to teenage girls.
Rebecca (Bec)
My Step daughter was telling me that she was reading this book in school. It sounded like something I would be interested to read and I was right. I love story's based around this time. I am glad that the school has decided to read something of substance.
Prekshya
This book was amazing, I -could not- put it down, it took me less then three days to finish. (Which is good time between home and school!) Though like any norse themed book, the names can be a bit hard to follow, but you do get the hang of them.

Sienna K
I enjoyed this book. I think this book was the first battle type book I read, which I think started my liking for battle and war based books. A bit boring at the start, but once in the adventure, you can never stop.
Lisa
I really liked it. This was something very different from what I would normally have read-which is good. I love how she incorporates history and fiction together to make an inticingly interesting read.
  • Devotion
  • Silver Brumby Kingdom
  • The Little Duke
  • My Life as Dinosaur Dental Floss (The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle, #5)
  • My True Love Gave to Me (Brook Street, #0.5)
  • Lara and the Gray Mare
  • Danegeld
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician)
  • The Dogs of Winter
  • Daughter of War
  • The Devil's Paintbox
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • The Un-Magician (OutCast, #1)
  • Viking Warrior (The Strongbow Saga, #1)
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • The Watcher in the Shadows (Inquisitor's Apprentice #2)
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • Blood Red
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary philosoph ...more
More about Jackie French...
Diary of a Wombat Hitler's Daughter A Rose for the ANZAC Boys A Waltz for Matilda Pennies for Hitler