Rameau's Nephew

Rameau's Nephew

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This Halcyon Classics ebook edition contains enlightenment writer Denis Diderot's (1713-1784) RAMEAU'S NEPHEW. RAMEAU'S NEPHEW follows the discussion between a narrator-like figure and Jean-François Rameau, the nephew of the famous composer. Diderot uses the discussion to examine the Querelle des Bouffons (the French/Italian opera battle), the education of children, the na...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1805)

Pierre E. Loignon
Cet excellent ouvrage de Diderot a été connu du public d’une très étrange manière. Ce n’est, en effet, qu’en 1805, par le biais d’une traduction allemande (faite par nul autre que Goethe) qu’il sera publié pour la première fois. Pour ce qui est de la version originale, elle attendra encore plus de quinze ans avant de paraître.
On y trouve le récit « biographique » d’une rencontre entre l’auteur et Jean-François Rameau. Bien que les deux hommes soient tous deux fatalistes, qu’ils ont tous deux réu...more
Andreas
I read the German translation provided by Goethe with an appendix which helped to grasp the idea of the book, then just reading. With lot of background knowledge on the people mentioned it is very hard to understand, which is worsened by the complex/old German language used by Goethe.
But the part where the author/the 'ich' discusses the non-ethical, but only pragmatic approach to life by Rameau's Nephew, reads like an introduction and illustration of Nihilism to modern or should I say to the pos...more
Sunny in Wonderland
I want to thank Ian Johnston (whoever he is) for not only taking the time to translate this into English, but also for posting the text online and making it freely available HERE.

Unfortunately, this really wasn't my thing, but it was comical in parts. These satires must have been all the rage at one time. In working my way through THE LIST, I'm running across quite a few of these that were published pre-1800.

In its tone, this story reminded me A LOT of Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. Really,...more
Jim
A book that should be in my permanent library so that it would be available for re-reading many times, it's a bit difficult to classify: 1) Perhaps it was a settling of accounts with Palissot; it's filled with illusions to events occuring at that time. 2) Is it mainly a discussion of man as a social animal; exploration of the differences between use of intellect vs being human? 3) The dialogue betwen two men - a Him and a Me - could be considered a play with a theme of expressivity versus perfor...more
Laginestra
A passeggio per Parigi si fanno incontri interessanti, e se siete un filosofo, e se incrociate il nipote del più grande musicista francese, state certi che nascerà un dibattito entusiasmante. Imbarazzante personaggio, a metà tra ignoranza beona e abilissima e sottile mentalità mercantile, il nipote di Rameau intrattiene il buon Diderot parlando tra l'altro di musica, e il dibattito tra Lullisti e Ramisti funge da fil rouge alla narrazione. Un po' pesante se non siete ferrati in materia; se al co...more
Adi
Too philosophical and abstract for my taste...
Josep
What an extraordinary book. The character of Rameau's nephew is perfectly valid today. The historic circumstances of his predicament (need to find rich people to amuse them in exchange of money) are obviously dated but the basic structure of his personality is fully understandable today. He is a wannabe sociopath because of a basic fear of destitution, of hunger, of not being talented enough. His talents are buried under that fear and turned against himself. I met people like him.
Plaimont
This book is marvelous. The things he say are mind blowing hilarious. Chapter 7 was a bit of a washout for me, but chapter 8 managed to end the story on a high note & was actually my favorite chapter. The insecurities of this character drip through each & every page. We all know people like this!
Jeffrey Towey
Heavy going but streets ahead as a way of getting to the heart of the french enlightenment: it really conveys the cafe atmosphere and the cliquishness of Paris in the 1760s.
Leah
Started off okay, lost me in the middle, and only became coherent at the end after I had a glass of wine. Since I doubt I can take a glass of wine in with me to the comprehensive exam, I’m giving it one star. Sorry, Diderot.
Ian Towey
So funny, satirical and sarcastic, this is maybe my favourite book. Rameau is a legend, or should be. Nothing touches it. Until you buy it. Immediately. And start reading. Denis Diderot is my hero.
Yann
Un roman très plaisant. La scène de la leçon de musique est ma préférée.
Tbv
I didn't get it.
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Michelle Maxwell
Michelle Maxwell marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Dan's Obsessions
Dan's Obsessions marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Nour
Nour marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Incognito
Incognito marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Maja
Maja added it
Mar 29, 2014
Laventeli
Laventeli marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Madison Dugger
Madison Dugger marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
  • Julie, or the New Heloise
  • Britannicus
  • Anton Reiser: A Psychological Novel (Penguin Classics)
  • Horace
  • The Devil In Love
  • Pleasures and Days
  • The Mustache
  • Poemes Saturniens
  • The Dream (Les Rougon-Macquart, #16)
  • Memoirs of Martinus Scriblerus
  • Le Mariage de Figaro
  • La mare au diable
  • Lieutenant Gustl
  • La confession d'un enfant du siècle
Denis Diderot (October 5, 1713 – July 31, 1784) was a French philosopher, art critic, and writer. He was a prominent persona during the Enlightenment and is best known for serving as co-founder and chief editor of and contributor to the Encyclopédie.
Diderot also contributed to literature, notably with Jacques le fataliste et son maître (Jacques the Fatalist and his Master), which emulated Laurence...more
More about Denis Diderot...
Jacques the Fatalist The Nun Rameau's Nephew and D'Alembert's Dream Supplément au voyage de Bougainville Paradoxe Sur Le Comedien

“For me, my thoughts are my prostitutes.” 12 likes
“...qui siedo sempre come un maestoso cazzo fra duoi coglioni. [...I always sit here like a majestic prick between two balls.]” 1 likes