Start by marking “From Zero to Mastectomy: What I Learned and You Need to Know about Stage 0 Breast Cancer” as Want to Read:

FROM ZERO TO MASTECTOMY: WHAT I LEARNED AND YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT STAGE 0 BREAST CANCER, chronicles Jackie Fox's journey through the unique challenges of stage 0 DCIS breast cancer. Although not life-threatening, DCIS can require the same treatment and cause the same stress as advanced cancers. When Fox's oncologist tried to reassure her by saying her DCIS was not "real c ...more
Published July 9th 2010 by Honyocker Press

To ask other readers questions about From Zero to Mastectomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Zero to Mastectomy

Reese
Aug 19, 2010 Reese rated it liked it
Ignoring the signs -- we all do it. And for various reasons, of course. The big ones: Being wrong can be expensive and/or embarrassing; being right can mean wishing that we were wrong. So, did you think the preceding comments were the introduction to a discussion of the consequences of ignoring cancer's warning signs? Really? Why would I want to bring up that subject on this lovely day? I was actually thinking about the "signs" that warned me to ignore Jackie Fox's FROM ZERO TO MASTECTOMY. I ent ...more
Jul 21, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
I do not have experience with breast cancer but I found this book to be very informative. It gave a step-by-step journey in having breast cancer. I wish the author explained Stage 0 and the scale of the other stages more because Stage 0 does not seem that severe. I have now become a hypochondriac-it's frightening that anywhere on the Cancer scale involves such procedures. I found the endless amount of surgeries to be very interesting. I learned a lot about reconstructive surgery.

Many times the
Lauren Monsey Nagel
Jul 24, 2010 Lauren Monsey Nagel rated it it was amazing
There is so much that most people are not aware of despite the fact that Breast Cancer is all around us. It will claim the lives of around 40,000 people in the United States alone this year. Stage Zero Breast Cancer? I didn't know there was a Stage Zero. So maybe in the back of my mind when I first read this books title, I figured it wouldn't be ... well let's just say sometimes I'm a real ignoramus.
This book really opened my eyes. Jackie Fox has shared her personal journey through her own eyes
Jessica Oban
Jul 09, 2010 Jessica Oban rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Breast cancer patients, families, and those in good health (ie. Everyone)
Recommended to Jessica by: First Reads
Lately, I've been reading things that normally, I wouldn't pick up. This is one of those books. Jackie Fox takes us through finding out she has breast cancer and how she dealt with it. She gives good advice and guidance for others who are battling the disease. And while the tale is sad, it's not really a sob story. Ms. Fox is full of humor and often interjecting pop culture references in intense moments for an unexpected bout of laughter (which I'm sure made many of her procedures a bit easier t ...more
Theresa Davies
Jul 12, 2010 Theresa Davies rated it it was amazing
Jackie Fox did an excellent job of portraying life when you get hit with the Big "C" word! Never, never listen to your friends horror stories, they overly exagerate. Jackie gave a step by step picture of what it is like to go through the process and she did it in a very calm and reassuring way! Good ideas to remember if you are going through the same adventure! I have been there and done almost the same! I did not need the mastectomy, praise God! Everything else was right on! Thanks Jackie!
Shannon
Jun 27, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lt
Thank God I haven't dealt with breast cancer first hand but I definitely think this a book all women should read. It was very easy read -like talking to a girlfriend. It was about one persons experience and I know every experience is different but this book offered things to consider that you wouldn't think of if you were in the middle of it. You should read this if you or anyone close to you is diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm glad I read it so I have the information "just in case".
Laura Sloan
Jul 06, 2010 Laura Sloan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read the author's experience with being diagnosed with breast cancer, the treatments she went through, and how she handled it all. I work in the medical field and the patient's perspective on how it all works was interesting to me. I would recommend this book to anyone who is facing breast cancer, or any other medical condition.
Erin
Jul 08, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
Fox does a great job of summarizing her experience with breast cancer in to a brief set of essays that would be very helpful for anyone diagnosed with Stage 0 breast cancer. The writing is solid, but Fox references the fact that she wrote for the Omaha World Herald frequently rather than treating the book as a stand alone writing.

Note: I received an uncorrected proof copy free from Goodreads
Aimee Sonderman
Nov 09, 2014 Aimee Sonderman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently diagnosed

This book was like talking to a close friend. I cried and laughed. A lot of my questions were answered. I loved when the author admitted that she asked the doctor if she could just wait and not treat the DCIS because that thought crossed my mind.
Annette Taylor
Jul 22, 2010 Annette Taylor rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed "From Zero to Mastectomy". Jackie Fox tells her story with breast cancer without it sounding like a textbook. My favorite quote of the book "It feels boobish."

I received an autographed copy through Library Thing Member Giveaways.
Gina
Jul 06, 2010 Gina added it
Shelves: firstreads
Just won on first reads!
Laurinda Fournier
Laurinda Fournier rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2010
Aimee
Aimee rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Dr Anne Hicks
Dr Anne Hicks rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Janella F. Chapline
Janella F. Chapline rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Zizi
Zizi rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2010
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Dawn Wells
Dawn Wells rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
The Rainbow Zebra
The Rainbow Zebra marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2010
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2010
Mysterium
Mysterium marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2010
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Shawne Seignious
Shawne Seignious marked it as to-read
Debi Sullivan
Debi Sullivan marked it as to-read
Bonnie Gonzales
Bonnie Gonzales marked it as to-read
Cheryl Leonard
Cheryl Leonard is currently reading it
Marcy Strahan
Marcy Strahan marked it as to-read
Amber Mancebo
Amber Mancebo marked it as to-read
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2010
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2010
Tabbs
Tabbs marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2010
Arti383
Arti383 marked it as to-read
May 12, 2011
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2012
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Esther Rodríguez
Esther Rodríguez marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015