Start by marking “The Saint (Seducers #2)” as Want to Read:
The Saint (Seducers #2)

The Saint (The Seducers #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  904 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Nationally bestselling author Madeline Hunter has captivated fans with unforgettable romance novels filled with suspense, seduction, mystery, and love. Now meet "the Saint" in this sizzling tale of a mysterious aristocrat, a high-spirited American beauty, and an affair that begins with an innocent temptation...and leads to the most exquisitely dangerous of seductions.

Vergi
Published November 4th 2003 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Saint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saint

Keri
I loved this book. The overall theme appealed to me. Vergil was a man who was as straitlaced as they come. Not because he wanted to be that way, but he had a family that was depending on him to make the right decisions after his older brother passed away. So when he finds out he has been named guardian of an American young miss, he is very surprised.

Color him even more surprised when he finds Bianca in the situation he did after she gave his brother the slip. Bianca has dreams of her own and th
Amanda
Apr 15, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should be ashamed to even list this in my books, but seriously... I got on this whacked out trashy-romance novel kick in January and this was one of the first few I read. As soon as I was done, I went on to read all 19 trash-novels by this author because she rocks my romance-novel world. :) As cliche as it probably sounds, she really is a good writer and weaves history and mystery throughout all of her books with characters' lives being entwined from one book to the next. My husband is thrille ...more
Raina {The LUV'NV}
The UST, the mystery, the characters and their motivations -- I loved it all until the near end. The reveal and climax didn't fit well with me. The surprise of it and the third accomplice crossed into unbelievable, and the resolutions came abruptly, with a complete 180 of people who were so wonderfully stubborn until they just ... weren't.

But this is my first Madeline Hunter read, and I'll definitely be picking up more.
Annika
May 16, 2011 Annika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, e-book
The Saint, I’m afraid to say, was the so far weakest book I’ve read yet by Madeline Hunter. I adore her for her very intricate and clever storylines and intense emotions. Unfortunately this book did dissapoint me in respect of the storyline (which is all in all not bad but not excellent like other efforts from her).
This is Vergils story who unexpectedly inherited the title after his brothers suicide and with it also the duty of guarding his brothers ward Bianca – a young girl with ancestors in
taita
Feb 19, 2011 taita rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I liked this story much more than the first book in the series. Vergil's story was much more real and rich for me. I didn't want it to end.

My heart wrenched several times for Vergil and his difficult choices. And I struggled along with him in weighing and managing all the responsibilities he had to assume as head of the family. I'm glad he was strong enough to let Bianca make her own decisions about their relationship though.

As for Bianca, while I applauded her ambition I also cursed how she h
Ilze
Oct 07, 2011 Ilze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: madeline-hunter
When I started the book I was sceptical about the "American heiress who wants to be an opera singer but is being held captive by her starchy English guardian", which seemed like a sure-fire formula for a TSTL heroine and histrionics. But Bianca was actually an engaging and interesting heroine, and I liked her desire for independence and her strength in the face of Vergil's (initial) obtuseness and everyone's pooh-poohing her ambition, even if she was a little stubborn and thoughtless on occasion ...more
Eileen
Mar 07, 2015 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first book in this series, I almost didn't keep reading. I thought the female too headstrong and the male to stuffy and stubborn. About halfway through, however, things got much more interesting and made the book a worthwhile read.
Anna
Jul 10, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading many of Madeline Hunter's books, including this one. Viscount
Vergil Duclairc has been named guardian of the American Heiress Bianca Kenwood, who inherited her English grandfather's fortune. Vergil has recently inherited the title after his brother's death, however he has been raised in the nobility, so being the "straightlaced" Viscount Laclere is not difficult for him. He strives for order and respectability and is flummoxed as to how to control the unusual and unorthodox
Theresa Brandt
Jul 23, 2016 Theresa Brandt rated it liked it
Just okay...

The second book in ' The Seducers" series didn't hold my attention as closely as the first book. It's not badly written and the characters are likable enough but I couldn't help feeling that a good heart-to-heart between the H/h would have gone a long way to resolving their differences. Had that happened it would have freed the author to better develop the secondary mystery plot which fell kinda' flat, in my opinion. There was also a lack of interaction and involvement of the members
Gayathri Jayakumar
Th Saint started with the story of a naive girl handed over to the custody of a wealthy gentleman renowned for his powerful character. The girl who loves freedom wishes to fly away from his guardian's grip and waters her passion for singing. But her guardian has a different plan for her. He and his elder sister wish their younger brother, a rake to seduce the young lady into marrying him simply to bring with this arrogant freedom loving young girl a huge amount of wealth. But this story line hig ...more
Nessa
D.N F

I was expecting more because I love guardians who falls in love with their hellion wards stories but this one was fell short, appallingly so. It was a promising story but nonetheless, it was a bit boring. I would have to agree with some of the readers that this was a weak story, compared to some others in the series, not that I have read all yet.

Despite the heroine being bold and brazen, she didn't incite those kinds of crazy emotions from The Saint as our hero is labeled as.

WISH I COULD
Indiana
Meh. As far as I know, this is the first book by Hunter that I've read. I stumbled across it because I was looking for some guardian / ward romances this was on a list of them. I enjoyed it in the beginning. But there is a fine line with guardian / ward romances. It's a very fine line. And this one crossed it. It's one thing for the guardian to seduce the ward but he can't regret it. And this one not only regreted it but he didn't want to do it to begin with but couldn't stop himself *rolls eyes ...more
Rita L.
Jul 25, 2013 Rita L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-bookshelve
Capa: Hmmm.. Nem aquece nem arrefece.
Personagens: Isso foi o que tornou este livro mais complicado para mim. A certa altura já não consegui distinguir as várias personagens. Quando elas voltavam a aparecer mais à frente no livro eu fiquei algum tempo a tentar lembrar-me, mas afinal quem é esta pessoa? Não sei se foi falta de atenção da minha parte ou as personagens foram mal introduzidas na hitória.
Já o casal principal da história, posso dizer que gostei bastante. A Bianca por vezes irritava-me
Cherie
Oct 10, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading this series. This is actually my third time through. Even so, I still do not get a good picture of Vergil Duclairc in my mind. I think I have difficulty picturing a handsome man named Vergil. Sorry. He is a second son who has become Viscount after the death of his elder brother. There is a story of intrigue because the brother died of suicide for an unknown reason and looking for answers to his brother's suicide in a thread throughout the story. Bianca is an American who has inhe ...more
Elis Madison
Next in the Seducers series is The Saint.

[image error]

This one features Viscount Vergil DuClaire, who gained his title when his older brother Milton committed suicide. Verg's new obligations include trying to keep the family afloat when the estates aren't adequate to sustain them, and guardianship of young American Miss Bianca Kenwood, the orphaned granddaughter of a neighbor who was friendly with Milton.

Bianca is not keen on being under anyone's authority, as Verg discovers quickly when he ar
Miyanomori
The mystery of this book and the main guy is what keeps this book from getting a 1. The main heroine was one of those Strong Female Characters who rubbed me the wrong way with her childish 'independence' and I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU AND YOUR CULTURE attitude that I kept having to put the book down in frustration.
DemetraP
Feb 03, 2014 DemetraP rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was way too much going on in this book. It was exhausting. Secret identities, blackmail plots, opera singing, old lovers, new lovers, money troubles, etc.

The romance, what little there was of it, suffered. It was well written and I want to see the other secondary characters' stories.
Mell
The titles in this series are cringe worthy! But I did promise to give them a try . . .

I have to say that I am not a fan of books where men are in some kind of guardian "position" for a woman with whom they are having an affair/relationship. It seems like just another powerful man scenario, and this is the second book in the series to use this plot device. T

Hunter's characters in The Saint were pretty well fleshed out, and I thought the parts about the mill (don't want to give it away)and women
Kashii
May 25, 2016 Kashii rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the heroine irked me. the hero was multi faceted but the hero felt kind of stuck in there as if she was a prop. she was difficult for no reason and unyielding even when there was no reason to be she was clever .... we are told but she never used the cleverness for anything actually clever.
Kim
Jan 25, 2015 Kim marked it as not-my-cuppa  ·  review of another edition
I love Madeline Hunter's work, but this series' appeal to me is in fits and starts. I LOVE The Romantic and Lady of Sin, but this book and the first are ho-hum.

Incidentally, you can read them out of order - there may be a few HEA spoilers for earlier books but, you're reading a romance... is it really all that surprising? The plot lines from book-to-book are relatively independent of one another.
Foggygirl
A great second installment in the series. Bianca and Vergil have better "on page" chemistry than the previous main characters but I still wanted to kick Vergil and his brother Dante in the nuts for their high handed behaviour toward Bianca and her inheritance. :)
Elizabeth Lloyd
Feb 18, 2016 Elizabeth Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the series...
Mari
**IL TUTORE** (Titolo italiano)
Debbie Dodd
I enjoyed reading.
Christine Diane Paloma
Not bad. The beginning was very interesting and fun, but it didn't capture me as much as other historical romance novels. I like Bianca - the hero, not so much. I also don't have much love for his brother.
penelopewanders
Second in this series, story of Vergil and Bianca...

For the first half, this would fit in the "explosive couples" category- between the unconventional American and the "Saint" there are a lot of sparks... but Hunter does have a way both with words and her characters, and again, this one works. I for one was not entirely sure who the bad guy(s) really was/were up until the end, although I did have some suspicions.
Lmoore
Oct 28, 2013 Lmoore rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bianca and Vergil make a good couple, I just wish more had happened with them. They spent lots of time apart. There were lots of other men in the story, all with similar names, I almost felt like I needed a cheat sheet to keep them all straight. The ending fell flat. There are more books in this series, but I will be taking a long break before I read the next one.
Mary Jo
Really enjoyed this one; overall I have the "seducers" series to be inconsistent. I think this is my favorite of the series; but it could just be I was in the right mood for it.
Vergil Duclairc & Bianca Kenwood
Guardian and Ward
Aristocrat and American
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
Madeline Hunter writes a fine regency romance. I've read her stuff before but I've decided to catch up with her and am glad I did. The arrogant yet passionate man. The independent young miss. The backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars. All draw me like honey.

Maura
Sep 17, 2011 Maura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I liked the story and the setting. Guardian wants to protect his charge from America. Heroine having been raised in America was brash and sassy. Wants to be an opera singer. Hero wants to convince her not to. Romance ensues.
  • Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)
  • The Beautiful Stranger (Rogues of Regent Street, #3)
  • Seducing the Spy (Royal Four, #4)
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • A Notorious Proposition (Winter Garden #3)
  • The Scottish Companion
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Untie My Heart
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • Her Only Desire (Spice Trilogy #1)
Madeline Hunter is a nationally bestselling author of historical romances who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two sons. Her books have won two RITA awards and seven nominations, and have had three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. In a parallel existence to the one she enjoys as a novelist, Madeline has a Ph.D. in art history and teaches at an East Coast university.
More about Madeline Hunter...

The Seducers (7 books)
  • The Seducer (Seducers #1)
  • The Charmer (Seducers #3)
  • The Sinner (Seducers #4)
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • Lord of Sin (Seducers spin-off, #1)
  • Lady of Sin (Seducers spin-off #2)