Start by marking “The Saint (Seducers #2)” as Want to Read:
The Saint (Seducers #2)

The Saint (The Seducers #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  750 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Nationally bestselling author Madeline Hunter has captivated fans with unforgettable romance novels filled with suspense, seduction, mystery, and love. Now meet "the Saint" in this sizzling tale of a mysterious aristocrat, a high-spirited American beauty, and an affair that begins with an innocent temptation...and leads to the most exquisitely dangerous of seductions.

Vergi
Published November 4th 2003 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Saint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saint

Keri
I loved this book. The overall theme appealed to me. Vergil was a man who was as straitlaced as they come. Not because he wanted to be that way, but he had a family that was depending on him to make the right decisions after his older brother passed away. So when he finds out he has been named guardian of an American young miss, he is very surprised.

Color him even more surprised when he finds Bianca in the situation he did after she gave his brother the slip. Bianca has dreams of her own and th
Amanda
I should be ashamed to even list this in my books, but seriously... I got on this whacked out trashy-romance novel kick in January and this was one of the first few I read. As soon as I was done, I went on to read all 19 trash-novels by this author because she rocks my romance-novel world. :) As cliche as it probably sounds, she really is a good writer and weaves history and mystery throughout all of her books with characters' lives being entwined from one book to the next. My husband is thrille ...more
taita
I liked this story much more than the first book in the series. Vergil's story was much more real and rich for me. I didn't want it to end.

My heart wrenched several times for Vergil and his difficult choices. And I struggled along with him in weighing and managing all the responsibilities he had to assume as head of the family. I'm glad he was strong enough to let Bianca make her own decisions about their relationship though.

As for Bianca, while I applauded her ambition I also cursed how she h
Ilze
When I started the book I was sceptical about the "American heiress who wants to be an opera singer but is being held captive by her starchy English guardian", which seemed like a sure-fire formula for a TSTL heroine and histrionics. But Bianca was actually an engaging and interesting heroine, and I liked her desire for independence and her strength in the face of Vergil's (initial) obtuseness and everyone's pooh-poohing her ambition, even if she was a little stubborn and thoughtless on occasion ...more
Gayathri Jayakumar
Th Saint started with the story of a naive girl handed over to the custody of a wealthy gentleman renowned for his powerful character. The girl who loves freedom wishes to fly away from his guardian's grip and waters her passion for singing. But her guardian has a different plan for her. He and his elder sister wish their younger brother, a rake to seduce the young lady into marrying him simply to bring with this arrogant freedom loving young girl a huge amount of wealth. But this story line hig ...more
Annika
The Saint, I’m afraid to say, was the so far weakest book I’ve read yet by Madeline Hunter. I adore her for her very intricate and clever storylines and intense emotions. Unfortunately this book did dissapoint me in respect of the storyline (which is all in all not bad but not excellent like other efforts from her).
This is Vergils story who unexpectedly inherited the title after his brothers suicide and with it also the duty of guarding his brothers ward Bianca – a young girl with ancestors in
Indiana
Meh. As far as I know, this is the first book by Hunter that I've read. I stumbled across it because I was looking for some guardian / ward romances this was on a list of them. I enjoyed it in the beginning. But there is a fine line with guardian / ward romances. It's a very fine line. And this one crossed it. It's one thing for the guardian to seduce the ward but he can't regret it. And this one not only regreted it but he didn't want to do it to begin with but couldn't stop himself *rolls eyes ...more
Rita L.
Capa: Hmmm.. Nem aquece nem arrefece.
Personagens: Isso foi o que tornou este livro mais complicado para mim. A certa altura já não consegui distinguir as várias personagens. Quando elas voltavam a aparecer mais à frente no livro eu fiquei algum tempo a tentar lembrar-me, mas afinal quem é esta pessoa? Não sei se foi falta de atenção da minha parte ou as personagens foram mal introduzidas na hitória.
Já o casal principal da história, posso dizer que gostei bastante. A Bianca por vezes irritava-me
Cherie Jensen
I am re-reading this series. This is actually my third time through. Even so, I still do not get a good picture of Vergil Duclairc in my mind. I think I have difficulty picturing a handsome man named Vergil. Sorry. He is a second son who has become Viscount after the death of his elder brother. There is a story of intrigue because the brother died of suicide for an unknown reason and looking for answers to his brother's suicide in a thread throughout the story. Bianca is an American who has inhe ...more
Elis Madison
Next in the Seducers series is The Saint.

[image error]

This one features Viscount Vergil DuClaire, who gained his title when his older brother Milton committed suicide. Verg's new obligations include trying to keep the family afloat when the estates aren't adequate to sustain them, and guardianship of young American Miss Bianca Kenwood, the orphaned granddaughter of a neighbor who was friendly with Milton.

Bianca is not keen on being under anyone's authority, as Verg discovers quickly when he ar
DemetraP
There was way too much going on in this book. It was exhausting. Secret identities, blackmail plots, opera singing, old lovers, new lovers, money troubles, etc.

The romance, what little there was of it, suffered. It was well written and I want to see the other secondary characters' stories.
Mell
The titles in this series are cringe worthy! But I did promise to give them a try . . .

I have to say that I am not a fan of books where men are in some kind of guardian "position" for a woman with whom they are having an affair/relationship. It seems like just another powerful man scenario, and this is the second book in the series to use this plot device. T

Hunter's characters in The Saint were pretty well fleshed out, and I thought the parts about the mill (don't want to give it away)and women
Kim
Jan 25, 2015 Kim marked it as not-my-cuppa  ·  review of another edition
I love Madeline Hunter's work, but this series' appeal to me is in fits and starts. I LOVE The Romantic and Lady of Sin, but this book and the first are ho-hum.

Incidentally, you can read them out of order - there may be a few HEA spoilers for earlier books but, you're reading a romance... is it really all that surprising? The plot lines from book-to-book are relatively independent of one another.
penelopewanders
Second in this series, story of Vergil and Bianca...

For the first half, this would fit in the "explosive couples" category- between the unconventional American and the "Saint" there are a lot of sparks... but Hunter does have a way both with words and her characters, and again, this one works. I for one was not entirely sure who the bad guy(s) really was/were up until the end, although I did have some suspicions.
Lmoore
Bianca and Vergil make a good couple, I just wish more had happened with them. They spent lots of time apart. There were lots of other men in the story, all with similar names, I almost felt like I needed a cheat sheet to keep them all straight. The ending fell flat. There are more books in this series, but I will be taking a long break before I read the next one.
Mary Jo
Really enjoyed this one; overall I have the "seducers" series to be inconsistent. I think this is my favorite of the series; but it could just be I was in the right mood for it.
Vergil Duclairc & Bianca Kenwood
Guardian and Ward
Aristocrat and American
Kirsten
Madeline Hunter writes a fine regency romance. I've read her stuff before but I've decided to catch up with her and am glad I did. The arrogant yet passionate man. The independent young miss. The backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars. All draw me like honey.

Maura
I liked the story and the setting. Guardian wants to protect his charge from America. Heroine having been raised in America was brash and sassy. Wants to be an opera singer. Hero wants to convince her not to. Romance ensues.
Virginia
Not one of my favorites, but still interesting! I knew the outcome of several of the plot points, having read later books in the series, but I still enjoyed the process. A bit too much deception for my tastes, but I understand.
Missy Jane
Once again MH has produced a book that isn't easily forgotten. Her characters nearly jump off the page and easily had me wrapped up in their drama. I LOVE her work.
Cheryl Tollestrup
I loved this story, it was so romantic! Wonderful characters, great story line, and plot! Just enough suspense, mystery, and passion! Especially loved the ending!
Tara
Nov 07, 2013 Tara marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this book. I didn't like either of the main characters. I tried several times picking it up, but I'm sorry, I have to give up.
Nanette
Vergil and dante and an american opera singer; this is the best so far. it gets beyond the distance that the author tends to create (esp in bk 1)

Frances Fuller
Too much muches, the whole singing opera while having sex, finally took this book down the slippery slope it had been headed for since page one.
L8blmr
This was not my favorite book by this author, but she is still on my short list of favorite writers of historical fiction.
Susan
Feisty, smrt Amrcn heirss Bianca pts wlls/pssn w exctr LeClere whos hidg secrt of mill ownr/ prtnrshp while mrdr kidnpprs abound
Diana
Compared to the other books in the series, this one felt choppy, conventional, and overall, unimpressive.
Melissa
Snooze fest. If I didn't enjoy the series, I would have stopped reading the book.
Farouq Oyebiyi
Nice plot. Definitely wasn't expecting some twists it had. Good read.
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
  • Seducing the Spy (Royal Four, #4)
  • Something Sinful (Griffin Family, #3)
  • The Love Affair of an English Lord (Boscastle, #2)
  • One Forbidden Evening (Grantham, #2)
  • Irresistible (Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #3)
  • Her Only Desire (Spice Trilogy #1)
Madeline Hunter is a nationally bestselling author of historical romances who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two sons. In a parallel existence to the one she enjoys as a novelist, she has a Ph.D. in art history and teaches at an East Coast university.
More about Madeline Hunter...

The Seducers (7 books)
  • The Seducer (Seducers #1)
  • The Charmer (Seducers #3)
  • The Sinner (Seducers #4)
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • Lord of Sin (Seducers spin-off, #1)
  • Lady of Sin (Seducers spin-off #2)
Ravishing in Red (The Rarest Blooms, #1) Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4) Provocative in Pearls (The Rarest Blooms #2) Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3) The Rules Of Seduction (Rothwell Brothers, #1)