Start by marking “Summertime in the Big Woods” as Want to Read:
Summertime in the Big Woods

Summertime in the Big Woods (My First Little House Books)

Summer is here!

The warm days of summer have arrived, and that means Laura gets to spend fun-filled days outdoors!

The winter is finally over, and now it is summertime! Laura and Mary are busy all day helping Ma in the garden and playing outside. Renée Graef’s enchanting full-color illustrations, inspired by Garth Williams’ classic artwork, bring Laura and her family lovingl
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Summertime in the Big Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summertime in the Big Woods

Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold LobelAmelia Bedelia by Peggy ParishThe Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-JonesMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
A Christian Classical School Reading List: 1st grade
36th out of 61 books — 17 voters
The Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Little House Cookbook by Barbara M. WalkerLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little House
39th out of 100 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Feb 20, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
We found this along with a few others in the series at our library and my girls love them- nice big illustrations and not too wordy that a toddler can't follow along.
Maren Prestegaard
Oct 09, 2014 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it
Laura is not beloved yet. But when (if) that happens these books will rock.
Heather Armbruster
Oct 23, 2016 Heather Armbruster rated it really liked it
Summertime in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder is a part of the collection of My First Little House Books in the Little House on the Prairie series. This book is about a little girl named Laura and her life and adventures in the prairie during summertime. This book is most appropriate for first to second grade level readers. This makes a perfect historical fiction as it is set in the late 1800s to early 1900s. It is an enjoyable read as it follows the life of a young girl. There is no ...more
May 08, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I thought I was going to have to wait a few more years to introduce the classic Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House series to my 3-year-old. Then at an event at the library a few weeks ago he got to pick out a free book. The one he chose was called A Deer in the Wood, part of the My First Little House picture books. It was a perfect, sweet picture book version of one vignette from Little House in the Big Woods. My son was immediately enraptured and saw on the back of the book that there were many ...more
Eva Leger
Jun 27, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
These Little House illustrations just may be the best I've ever seen in my entire life of reading. They are so amazingly perfect I can't put into words how I feel. You really get a feeling when you look at them, some sort of peaceful feeling that isn't the norm, at least for me, when looking at the pictures in any kind of book. The illustrations get 5 stars by themselves.
The story is slightly lacking IMO. I wish there would have been more. More excitement. More detail maybe. Just more.
I believe
Jen
Aug 31, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
I have been a HUGE Laura Ingalls Wilder fan since I was a little girl and got the box set for my 9th birthday. We have just started reading Little House in the Big Woods with our oldest son which he really enjoys. I have the My First Little House Books set in my school library and grabbed them one day when I was in. Our boys are hooked! They love listening to the stories, like this one, of pioneer life and how Laura lived. The book in particular talked about all the fun things Laura used to do ...more
Rosa Cline
Apr 18, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime, summer
I have really enjoyed reading these "First Little House books" and reading them outloud to my 2 year old granddaughter. Was happy to find them and excited that we wouldn't have to wait until she was 'older' to expose her to the Ingallas families. Same thing for my teenage special needs son. He loves them just as much as my granddaughter. Simple but yet good. The illustrations are GREAT! And very similar to the illustrations in the novels so that is a nice thing as well.
Dolly
May 31, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I haven't read Little House on the Prairie to our girls yet, so I thought I would read these My First Little House picture books first to introduce them to the story. They enjoyed the pictures and the story is short and sweet. It's a nice story to read at bedtime.
Anne
Jul 01, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Real foodies will enjoy the cheese making and bee tree and from-scratch cookies! These picture books are stories taken from Laura Ingalls Wilder's longer books. Fascinating historical details of life in the Big Woods and on the prairie.
Naomi
May 26, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
A great segmented series that breaks out smaller stories from the series. This series is a great introduction to the Laura Ingalls Wilder series to move the young reader onto once they are ready. This book broke out to the simple ways of life in the big woods during summer.
Alyssa
Aug 17, 2016 Alyssa added it
Shelves: 25-traditional
It was summertime and Laura and Mary were helping their mom in the garden and played outside while dad tended to the farm and animals. They also helped feed the animals and gathered eggs. When they weren't helping, they played and played.

Bree
Oct 22, 2012 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Emily
Dec 20, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I read the full length Little House books, I read these Little House picture books. I absolutely love these books. The illustrations are great and the story follows along with the real books. In this book a typical summertime day with the Ingalls is described.
Abby
Mar 08, 2010 Abby rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was little and I recall the story being very good, but to this day I still remember how wonderful I thought the illustrations.
Hannah
Feb 09, 2010 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Ada choose this 2/09 and it is a very nice introduction to Laura Ingalls Wilder. There is a whole series and she likes them all so far! Fun.
Jodie
Jun 08, 2011 Jodie rated it really liked it
My heart was captured by Laura Ingalls Wilder long ago as a child. I still love these stories today and could not miss the opportunity to have the picture books in my library.
Dan
Apr 10, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book to read before bed. It has a gentle, soothing tone and ends up with the girls snuggled up all cozy in their beds ready to drift off to sleep.
Lydee
Oct 30, 2010 Lydee is currently reading it
i like it so far. it gives so much insight into Laura Ingalls Wilder- the person. It puts her "little house" books into a new perspective.
Dianna
Apr 08, 2009 Dianna rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are beautiful, based on the originals by Garth Williams. My two-year-old loves it, and now he wants me to read him the original.
Serena
Oct 26, 2015 Serena rated it it was amazing
Picking books that I loved as a child is one of the best things that I have done for classroom read alouds!
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2007
Madeline
Madeline rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Terry
Terry rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2011
Amanda Butler
Amanda Butler rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Judy Brown
Judy Brown rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Sydonia Lucchesi
Sydonia Lucchesi rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2009
Laylah Nicola
Laylah Nicola rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
  • The Legend of the Three Trees
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Island Boy
  • Daniel's Duck
  • A Time to Keep
  • Johnny Appleseed
  • Museum ABC
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • The True Story of Pocahontas (Step Into Reading, Step 3)
  • There's Something in My Attic
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • Always in Trouble
  • The Quilt Story
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Eloise Wilkin Stories
  • Baby Brains and RoboMom
  • A New Coat for Anna
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • A Little Prairie House
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • A Little House Birthday