Start by marking “Amplified Bible” as Want to Read:
Amplified Bible

Amplified Bible

4.7  ·  Rating Details ·  4,473 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
When Your Knowledge of the Original Languages of the Bible Is Limited and You Don't Want to Lose Anything in the Translation
If you want to get all the rich nuances and shades of meaning of the original Bible languages, the Amplified Bible is for you. No working knowledge of Greek or Hebrew is required—just a desire to know more about what God says in his Word. With its uni
Published February 1st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing (first published July 27th 1965)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
I've Read It More Than 5 Times
364th out of 724 books — 423 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsRevenge of the Witch by Joseph DelaneyThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanCurse of the Bane by Joseph Delaney
Best Book of All Time!
127th out of 239 books — 104 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 16, 2016 7jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
(Amplified Bible)

I have currently five different Bibles in use, and this is the only non-Catholic, English-language one. It's definitely a very enjoyable one and I looked forward to reading it every evening.

The maps were useful and quite a few times I found myself turning to look at each map as I was reading the text. The notes at the bottom of the page were also much fun and revealing, especially in the Old Testament part; for example, they helped me realise the depth of Solomon's mistakes (not
Nov 14, 2011 Sonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Bibles. I adore the richness. I just have to share a sample of what I mean.

For the general public of the United States (where I live) the beginning of the 23rd Psalm is one of the most familiar quotations from not only The Bible but from *any* book: "The Lord is my shepherd" Those words are rich, powerful, meaningful to many people in many circumstances.

Here are those same words "amplified": "The Lord is my shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me]"

When I read the Amplified B
Jan 25, 2014 Mikey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
I've read the Amplified version three times from cover to cover (2002, 2005, 2008)

Basically representative of a literal "word-for-word" translation drawing on various previous English translations such as Wycliff and Tyndale as well as Bible dictionaries, lexicons, commentaries, etc. for amplification. Based on the American Standard Version of 1901.

The Amplified version says of itself:

"Not an attempt to duplicate what has been achieved by previous translators nor is it intended to be a substit
"The Book" is the worlds greatest Book!

Unfortunately whoever perpared this e-book edition did a particularly poor job in its presentation.

From the contents we should be able to "tap" a book and jump to that book. We should then be able to "tap" a chapter number and jump to the chapter number. It would also be extremely good to be able to then have a list of the verse numbers and be able to "tap" a number and go to the verse.

It would be absolutely super IF there were a "search" option, to be able
Jun 01, 2011 Kristy rated it it was amazing
No, I still haven't managed to read through the entire Bible from cover to cover...most of it, but still having some trouble with Leviticus. :P Anyway, unlike any other book, this is obviously something you keep reading and reading, and you're never done with it. I love the Amplified version; a friend suggested it once and I tried it out just to see if I would agree (was a die-hard NIV fan before), and I do. Very good; I love the extra definitions in really helps. And I love the ...more
Bri Malan
Mar 07, 2013 Bri Malan rated it it was amazing
I am learning about how God works in the hearts of men. I am learning what ways things are taught, learning about the ten commandments, and the golden rule, and the blessings that we get from following the words of the Lord. It is a blessing to me in my life. I love it!
Jan 05, 2012 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I find the Amplified Bible very helpful when studying the Word of God. It lists the different word translations so you can get a good picture of scripture meanings.
Mitzi Rochelle Huddleston
Jan 08, 2014 Mitzi Rochelle Huddleston rated it really liked it
Sometimes I still read this version of the Bible when I want to take a break from reading the KJV.
Dec 24, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this version of the Bible. I try to read the Bible for at least 15 minutes a night before I go to bed to relax my mind, focus on God before bed, and just feel at peace with whatever happened during the day knowing God is fully in control and whatever mistakes I have made can be corrected with the help of God and He can get me back on the right path. I have read a few different versions of the Bible from cover to cover and each one was opened my eyes to different things and helpe ...more
Apr 09, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Hopefully, the "Amplifying" work will continue. The Amplified Bible is awesome in the way of bibles. I own over a dozen versions and this is one of my top 3 favorites. Tens of thousands of hours into the original Greek and Hebrew meanings of words went into making this version of the bible.

As you are reading, the meanings of the words are in parenthesis right behind the words. Examples: Samuel [heard of God] or vain [empty, futile] or abide [live, remain, walk]. It tells right in the text and fo
Jul 06, 2012 Cinkoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the Bible is an each day thing for me, so this will never be in the "completed" list. Someone came up with the idea that BIBLE is an acronym for "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth," and I appreciate that. As a Christian, I believe the Bible to be the Word of God. To begin to understand the Bible, you have to know who is being talked about and/or to whom a passage refers, you need to know the nature of God as shown by Jesus (went about doing good and never was it said He harmed anyo ...more
Dec 19, 2014 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I alternated this with the King James but this one is on my kindle and I did read it all electronically. First time ever that I got through the whole Bible without skipping chapters when I have slack times. I also used to organize my reading chronologically.
Andrew Rose
Mar 06, 2014 Andrew Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good reference Bible

My pastor often references the Greek or Hebrew wording in his sermons and how the words can determine the meanings. This Bible has helped me the get a clearer understanding of what he was talking about while also being very readable.
Hannah Gilbert
Oct 08, 2015 Hannah Gilbert rated it liked it
It's really bad to give a Bible a tree star review, but I feel like it isn't translated very well. It leaves out a whole lot of things that the NIV, KJV, and NASB mention. Although it is a great beginners Bible. I like it it just isn't my favorite translation.
Katie Regan
Jan 07, 2015 Katie Regan rated it it was amazing
Amplified is my favorite version. It's for word nerds, those who love the look and feel of letters and words, the many ways of stringing them together to express different shades of thought, intent and experience. A feast for wordies.
Selena Mosley
Aug 14, 2016 Selena Mosley rated it it was amazing
The Amplified Bible is one of my favorite study Bibles. I enjoy memorizing Scriptures from the Amplified Bible.
Stacy Croushorn
Jan 23, 2016 Stacy Croushorn rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible, christian, history
It was good, it's the Bible. Didn't like this version as much as I liked the Nelson Study Bible.
S. Sloan
Oct 23, 2014 S. Sloan rated it it was amazing
The Amplified Bible really explains the scriptures so that anyone can get a better understanding of the Word of God.
Apr 27, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was first introduced to this version thirty (gulp..has it been that long?!) years ago, I didn't like it because I thought it was adding to the Biblical text and o my, you can't do that! It took me a long time to understand that all the extra text is clarification of the original: where the English language is inadequate to explain the original meaning. Now I enjoy it. This reading wasn't to study the text, but I had my study Bible alongside so that if there were particular verses that ad ...more
Henk Kruger
Jul 14, 2016 Henk Kruger rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive. My favourite English translation of the Bible to date.
Sep 06, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, reference
Good study Bible or just to read through.
Feb 24, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, read-again
Psalm 19: 1-2

1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows and proclaims His handiwork.
2 Day after day pours forth speech, and night after night shows forth knowledge.

Ephesians 2:10

10 For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and ma
Lori perez
Feb 19, 2016 Lori perez rated it it was amazing
I love this version!! Helps me study
Kim Justice
Jun 10, 2015 Kim Justice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my readers
Shelves: reviewed
First let me say that the beginning or at some time during the year, I try to pick up a new Bible. Last year we had a home fire and I lost my set of Bibles that I had for a very long time. The beginning of this year I have started rebuilding my Bible shelf, starting with this one.

For one I Love the cover of this one, Amplified Bible. It is the hard back and was:

To read more of my review:
Breath of Life
Kevin Driskill
Oct 14, 2014 Kevin Driskill rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-study
The Amplified Bible can be very daunting to read for some because it gives explanation in the text. It is a dynamic equivalent so it tells you what the bible means as much as what it says. The great benefit of this lies in the fact that biblical languages very rich in meaning so the idea is that nothing is lost in the translation. Very good for supplementing understanding of a passage, but I would not recommend this as your only bible.
J.W. Wexford
Jan 25, 2014 J.W. Wexford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Very good edition of the Bible in eBook form.
Danny T
Jan 28, 2013 Danny T rated it it was amazing
This version is great for study, research, understanding, or digging deeper, more in depth as in for satisfying a desire to more fully and completely knowing what the Bible says and or could have said.
(I amplified my recommendation as an example of the Amplified version... it is a bit redundant.. and says the same thing over and over again... and again.)

Truthfully, I really like it.
Dec 31, 2014 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I would say that this translation can be helpful as a reference tool for comparing with other versions when doing Bible Study Because of the way it attempts to give fuller renderings of the original languages where it is difficult to use one word to express the meaning of the Hebrew or Greek, the readability is sacrificed.
Aug 13, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-study, bibles
I absolutely love the Amplified Bible! The synonyms listed on many hard to understand words aid the reader in understanding exactly what the scripture says. This is THE Bible to use when doing an in depth study. Take note that this Bible is a little harder to read than most; however, when doing Bible studies it is the best!
Jun 21, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
The Amplified Bible definitely adds to the English versions, but it sometimes OVER amplifies to the point where it's meaning may be stretched beyond the meaning in context of a passage. Also, some use this as a main Bible or like it is 100% accurate. I like it but don't recommend it as your main Bible.
Authorship of God's Word 2 11 Aug 11, 2012 03:27PM
Shelving the Bible on Goodreads 1 7 Mar 27, 2010 02:33PM
  • The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
  • Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)
  • The Prophet's Dictionary: The Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Wisdom
  • This Day We Fight!: Breaking the Bondage of a Passive Spirit
  • The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible, Hardcover: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • The Making of a Leader
  • Dressed to Kill: A Biblical Approach to Spiritual Warfare and Armor
  • God's Creative Power Will Work For You
  • Does Your Tongue Need Healing
  • The Spirit of Python: Identify what constricts your life and kills your dreams
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
  • Prayers That Bring Change: Power-Filled Prayers that Give Hope, Heal Relationships, Bring Financial Freedom and More!
  • By Faith Alone
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer Is Right Under Your Nose
  • The Jewish Code
  • Spiritual Authority
  • The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God?” 1 likes
“Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your earnings for what does not satisfy? Hearken diligently to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness [the profuseness of spiritual joy].” 1 likes