Amplified Bible

Amplified Bible

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  2,372 ratings  ·  56 reviews
When Your Knowledge of the Original Languages of the Bible Is Limited and You Don't Want to Lose Anything in the Translation
If you want to get all the rich nuances and shades of meaning of the original Bible languages, the Amplified(r) Bible is for you. No working knowledge of Greek or Hebrew is required just a desire to know more about what God says in his Word. With its...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Zondervan Publishing (first published July 27th 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Amplified Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amplified Bible

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
I've Read It More Than 5 Times
241st out of 541 books — 347 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Ruins of Gorlan by John FlanaganClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Best Book of All Time!
109th out of 244 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Sonya
One of my favorite Bibles. I adore the richness. I just have to share a sample of what I mean.

For the general public of the United States (where I live) the beginning of the 23rd Psalm is one of the most familiar quotations from not only The Bible but from *any* book: "The Lord is my shepherd" Those words are rich, powerful, meaningful to many people in many circumstances.

Here are those same words "amplified": "The Lord is my shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me]"

When I read the Amplified B...more
Mikey
I've read the Amplified version three times from cover to cover (2002, 2005, 2008)

Basically representative of a literal "word-for-word" translation drawing on various previous English translations such as Wycliff and Tyndale as well as Bible dictionaries, lexicons, commentaries, etc. for amplification. Based on the American Standard Version of 1901.

The Amplified version says of itself:

"Not an attempt to duplicate what has been achieved by previous translators nor is it intended to be a substit
Kristy
No, I still haven't managed to read through the entire Bible from cover to cover...most of it, but still having some trouble with Leviticus. :P Anyway, unlike any other book, this is obviously something you keep reading and reading, and you're never done with it. I love the Amplified version; a friend suggested it once and I tried it out just to see if I would agree (was a die-hard NIV fan before), and I do. Very good; I love the extra definitions in parenthesis...it really helps. And I love the...more
Bellestar
I truly enjoy this Bible. I am working on a 30 Day Reading Plan, by Professor Horner's. It has been a challenge. You can't get behind on your reading, it is a hard to catch up. I find reading the Amplified during this program has provided more information in the scripture.
Bri Malan
I am learning about how God works in the hearts of men. I am learning what ways things are taught, learning about the ten commandments, and the golden rule, and the blessings that we get from following the words of the Lord. It is a blessing to me in my life. I love it!
Toni
I find the Amplified Bible very helpful when studying the Word of God. It lists the different word translations so you can get a good picture of scripture meanings.
Wade
"The Book" is the worlds greatest Book!

Unfortunately whoever perpared this e-book edition did a particularly poor job in its presentation.

From the contents we should be able to "tap" a book and jump to that book. We should then be able to "tap" a chapter number and jump to the chapter number. It would also be extremely good to be able to then have a list of the verse numbers and be able to "tap" a number and go to the verse.

It would be absolutely super IF there were a "search" option, to be able...more
Kevin Driskill
The Amplified Bible can be very daunting to read for some because it gives explanation in the text. It is a dynamic equivalent so it tells you what the bible means as much as what it says. The great benefit of this lies in the fact that biblical languages very rich in meaning so the idea is that nothing is lost in the translation. Very good for supplementing understanding of a passage, but I would not recommend this as your only bible.
Cinkoe
Reading the Bible is an each day thing for me, so this will never be in the "completed" list. Someone came up with the idea that BIBLE is an acronym for "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth," and I appreciate that. As a Christian, I believe the Bible to be the Word of God. To begin to understand the Bible, you have to know who is being talked about and/or to whom a passage refers, you need to know the nature of God as shown by Jesus (went about doing good and never was it said He harmed anyo...more
Andrew Rose
A good reference Bible

My pastor often references the Greek or Hebrew wording in his sermons and how the words can determine the meanings. This Bible has helped me the get a clearer understanding of what he was talking about while also being very readable.
Kim
Psalm 19: 1-2

1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows and proclaims His handiwork.
2 Day after day pours forth speech, and night after night shows forth knowledge.

Ephesians 2:10

10 For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and ma
Jon Wexford
Very good edition of the Bible in eBook form.
Danny T
This version is great for study, research, understanding, or digging deeper, more in depth as in for satisfying a desire to more fully and completely knowing what the Bible says and or could have said.
(I amplified my recommendation as an example of the Amplified version... it is a bit redundant.. and says the same thing over and over again... and again.)

Truthfully, I really like it.
Lisa
I absolutely love the Amplified Bible! The synonyms listed on many hard to understand words aid the reader in understanding exactly what the scripture says. This is THE Bible to use when doing an in depth study. Take note that this Bible is a little harder to read than most; however, when doing Bible studies it is the best!
Mitzi Rochelle Huddleston
Sometimes I still read this version of the Bible when I want to take a break from reading the KJV.
Jim
The Amplified Bible definitely adds to the English versions, but it sometimes OVER amplifies to the point where it's meaning may be stretched beyond the meaning in context of a passage. Also, some use this as a main Bible or like it is 100% accurate. I like it but don't recommend it as your main Bible.
Chris brown
a good "go to" bible, more than just a read threw like the NIV, but with actual and correct words that can correspond right back to the greek and hebrew. which helped (me at least) get an Ideal of what was originally written (unlike the JKV which i grew up with and now can not stand)
Dave Jones
A good reference if you want to look up a fuller meaning (according to the original languages) of a specific bible passage. My edition was lacking on some of the helps. Generally, I would stick to the online amplified versions on those occasions when I want to dig deeper into a passage.
Caught Red Handed
My very favorite!! I'm always "currently reading" this book. Amplified version is my favorite because it clarifies what the scripture means right within the texts, no doubts left. Plus, it is also a very poetic version.
O'Fallon Public Library
I used to only use the King James version of the Bible, but recently I began to read the Amplified Bible. This is so much easier! The stories really come alive now that the "thees, thous and begats" have been removed! :)
Peter

Excellent study bible but somewhat clumsy in the reading
Enlightening compound translation that attempts to give a fuller idea of original language use, illustrating nuances that may have been lost in translation.
Lisa
Oct 20, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lisa by: Ruth Spragg
This is breathing new life into scripture that I thought I already "knew". I picked up a small travel size New Testament that has served as a great resource but not to replace my beloved, marked-up NIV.
Marmie
ABSOLUTELY NUMBER ONE! My Bible has all my favorite passages highlighted and underlined. I have read it multiple times and hope to read it every day for the rest of my life.
Chris
I love this book but sadly the paperbook is too small to conveniently read (if you need reading glasses). They need to make a larger print edition of this book.
Miriam
This was my third time reading the Bible through and I can't wait to start again. I prefer reading it in chronological order and will do that again this next time.
Terry Craig
This is a good STUDY Bible--something that shows the variants of words/meanings. It's not so much a Bible that you'd want to read aloud or breeze through.
Lauren
I love it!! It makes the Scriptures come alive, and adds new meaning while still remaining true to the Holy Inspired Word of God. It's a good study Bible.
Connie
My Bible of choice for a constant companion since 1973. Was my first introduction to the original languages of the days about which it is written.
Jay Dyer
I love the way this Bible expresses and reveals a new beauty to scripture I hold dear. John 3:16 just explodes. when read from this translation.
D. Kain
I am still reading the bible. Actually it's Joyce Meyers amplified bible. I watch her program and can follow along.

Authorship of God's Word 2 10 Aug 11, 2012 03:27PM
Shelving the Bible on Goodreads 1 7 Mar 27, 2010 02:33PM
  • The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
  • Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose
  • Good Morning, Holy Spirit
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: Complete and Unabridged in One Volume
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross
  • Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance
  • Self Incrimination
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita

“8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God?” 0 likes
“but” 0 likes