Start by marking “Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster” as Want to Read:
Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster

Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster (Forgotten Books)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Enthralling accounts of the legendary Cuchulain, the greatest of ancient Ireland's Knights of the Red Branch, tell of his birth and boyhood deeds, exploits in love and war, and premature death, all in the same beautifully simple style Lady Gregory first heard themas a child.Preface by W. B. Yeats. ...more
Published March 21st 2001 by Dover Publications (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Cuchulain of Muirthemne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuchulain of Muirthemne

I grew up in Dundalk (Dún Dealgan, homeplace of Chú Chulainn), I still remember Chu Chulainn's castle a few hundred yards from my home. I also grew up with these legends, and had to study them in the old Irish text which is completely different to the modern Irish language. Lady Gregory's account, while the english is not fantastic, there were many mistakes in the prose, but she did totally captivate the legend that was Chú Chulainn and in doing so, has brought this legend to the masses.

The sto
Cristobo De
This is very personal, I know Cuchulainn is all but forgotten these days, but I just love this book. The power, the sheer strength it conveys washed me away when I first read it, years ago. I just can`t understand how come it is not more popular.
The book is a re-write of a mythological cycle collected in medieval Irish texts. Lady Gregory turned these scattered legends into one only book, apt for a modern reader.

Now imagine an ancient world where warriors ride charriots into battle, where druid
L. Alexandra
Aug 17, 2013 L. Alexandra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mythology buffs, literature lovers, and anyone who claims roots in Ireland.
Recommended to L. by: British Literature Class
Shelves: hero-myths, classics
If I were to sing you a song of brave Cuchulain, hero and hound, loyal warrior, beardless boy better than three times fifty men of Ulster, I would surely run out of breath before you yet understood the heart of him, yet knew his many feats and the deeds that drew his name across the rocky ridge of the world in ogham. This book is a contagious classic, better for its aged language and seasoned anachronism, and better still for Lady Gregory's meticulously subtle whittling away of the density of th ...more
Raro de Concurso
Lo confieso. No lo he podido terminar. Lo he dejado al 40%. El tema suena fantástico, pero su lectura es como un capítulo de Tom y Jerry, pero con nombres irlandeses impronunciables. Y en vez de un ratón y un gato, una plaga de "marditos" roedores perseguidos por los mismos gatos.
Continuos episodios de valientes guerreros que o bien destrozan al enemigo ellos solos, como les cortan la cabeza y siguen hablando, como se teletransportan, como pegan saltos propios de spiderman. Y mucha repetición de
Louise Zedda-sampson
Helpful with my essay of a mythological hero.
Jeremiah Bookworm
This book provides some background in Irish mythology useful for understanding the poetry of W.B. Yeats. It's rather morbid, like a lot of mythology; most of the plots consist of heroes killing each other at the slightest provocation, or sometimes for no reason at all. It's like a Shakespeare tragedy... everyone dies at the end.
A book read for background in understanding old myths and symbolism in Yeat's poetry. To a modern mind, it might be hard to read in places. The myths seem to be similar in theme to tall tales, as the heroes are capable of taking on armies single-handed. Warriors are overstuffed with pride, often tricked into fighting for slight causes.
A. Mary
Gregory takes great care to use the syntax of common speech, which gives her versions of these stories a distinctly Irish voice, something that is sacrificed in polished English prose.
Ever since I was a little kid, these were some of my favorite stories, and I think Lady Gregory's version is probably the most complete and readable version of this particular hero cycle.
Men of Ulster stories. Language is old timey and folklore-y so not the easiest read, but as a rookie to these stories I enjoyed them.
Superb language and stories.
Arica marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Morgan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Valerie marked it as to-read
Vrixton Phillips
Vrixton Phillips marked it as to-read
Ashlee Barajas
Ashlee Barajas marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Friteslover is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2015
Manuel marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Molnár Antal Dénes
Molnár Antal Dénes is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2015
Zala marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Kip Johnston
Kip Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Sina marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Ikhneumon marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
  • Celtic Mythology
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • The Complete Illustrated Stories of Hans Christian Andersen
  • The Hound of Ulster
  • The Crock of Gold (Revised Edtion)
  • Tales of the Elders of Ireland
  • The Irish Fairy Book
  • The Book of Kells
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • Early Irish Myths and Sagas
  • Over Nine Waves: A Book of Irish Legends
  • Celtic Heritage
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Eyrbyggja Saga
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • Peter Pan #5 : Crochet
  • Red Branch
Isabella Augusta, Lady Gregory (15 March 1852 – 22 May 1932), born Isabella Augusta Persse. She was an Irish dramatist and folklorist. With William Butler Yeats and others, she co-founded the Irish Literary Theatre and the Abbey Theatre, and wrote numerous short works for both companies. Lady Gregory produced a number of books retelling stories taken from Irish mythology.
More about Lady Gregory...

Forgotten Books (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Beside the Fire
  • Unknown Book 2432662
  • Celtic Folklore: Welsh & Manx
  • Folk Lore of the Isle of Man
  • The Four Ancient Books of Wales
  • Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland
  • Life of Merlin